Are lockpicks worth the craft?

I started making lockpicks in my newest playthough, and i am not really that impressed. At low levels they are great, but once you get an iron pickaxe or steel pickaxe they no longer seem to be worth the cost. Sure they save time and are quiet, but only with safes. They cost 1 mechanical part and 1 forged iron and are not guarenteed to work, whereas a repair kit is only one duct tape and one forged iron, and the pickaxe IS guaranteed to work.

I will try one of the modlets that lets them work on doors to see if this makes them better, but so far i do not think they fit my playstyle and are worth the iron and mechanical parts. If the recipe made 5 at a time or if they worked on doors i might find them more useful.

If I didn't come across any lockpicks during my looting by the time I reach the safe or w/e, then I just pickaxe them open. I just find lockpicks pointless as they don't really save much time and not at all worth the skill points required to make them any good nor the inventory space since it's random chance if you encounter a safe anyways.

Honestly, lockpicks are a huge let down. At first, the devs wanted to make a special minigame for them which had the intention of opening the safe if you played it right, or break the lockpick if you did it wrong. This was genius, because it meant that opening a safe quickly depended entirely on your actual skill.

They scrapped the idea and decided to go for what we have now instead, which is incredibly boring and uninteresting. It's a gimmick that only annoyingly depends on your luck, has nothing unique to it, since the player only stares at a timer while the "lockpicking" is happening, and is useless anyways. The whole intention was to take away the tediousness of having to whack the safe open, but we still do it cause it's actually faster than using lockpicks later on.

I also thought lockpicks would allow the player to open locked doors, but nope. That wasn't the case either.

So anyways, to sum it up, nope. They're not worth the craft, imo.

Early on they are but after you find a pick they are no longer worth it. Even fully perked out they still are pretty bad. Maybe if at 5/5 you no longer broke lock picks but just a small reduced chance is not worth the points.

I really wanted to like lockpicks. I remember thinking in the past few alpha builds that they needed lockpicks in the game for the chests. Besides reducing the time it takes to pick a lock and reducing the fail chance, I'm not sure how they could fix them to make it worth it. It makes sense that they should work on doors as well but if a door is locked you are meant to get in a different way. Being able to pick the locked doors would take away from the dungeon delving aspect of the game.

Answer:

Early game? YEs. Get the perk, refund it after reaching a high enough level for fergetin elixir.

Late game? Not for dest/wall safes, not really for gun safes (about as fast but makes way less noise, so screamers might not spawn) and absolute yes for locked big treasure chest thing with 7000+ hp. No steelpick in the world can open that faster than a lockpick, even without the perks that make it faster and more reliable.

I always have ~20 of them with me. If I ever need to i can scrap them without harm but they are sometimes pretty useful.

Answer:

Early game? YEs. Get the perk, refund it after reaching a high enough level for fergetin elixir.

Late game? Not for dest/wall safes, not really for gun safes (about as fast but makes way less noise, so screamers might not spawn) and absolute yes for locked big treasure chest thing with 7000+ hp. No steelpick in the world can open that faster than a lockpick, even without the perks that make it faster and more reliable.

I always have ~20 of them with me. If I ever need to i can scrap them without harm but they are sometimes pretty useful.

This^ its a matter of usage, do you have a good pickaxe and ranks into miner 69er? yes? pickaxe it open...no? use a lock pick

I also think lock picking is considered silent...so they may be more for the sneaky ones among us

Yeah, I'm gonna bring it up.

If they aren't going to make a minigame, then this is one of those cases where LBD makes a lot of sense. The more you use lockpicks and succeed, the better you get at using them. It's not worth perk points.

I would be careful pointing out that it's easier to use pickaxes later on. This means imbalance to them. They are only going to make the safes even more durable.

I would be careful pointing out that it's easier to use pickaxes later on. This means imbalance to them. They are only going to make the safes even more durable.

The can change safes to break instead of opening and, if broken, they drop less loot. So you can pick the lock and get all the loot or break it for less.

If they aren't going to make a minigame, then this is one of those cases where LBD makes a lot of sense. The more you use lockpicks and succeed, the better you get at using them. It's not worth perk points.

wouldn't that actually be more in line with making the lockpicks more worth it? sounds kinda like a win to me (as someone who likes having a specific tool for the job)

wouldn't that actually be more in line with making the lockpicks more worth it? sounds kinda like a win to me (as someone who likes having a specific tool for the job)

Well yeah, they would "fix" the imbalance. They would bring the pickaxing late game to be equal to lockpicks without perks just to make perking in lockpicks reasonable. If you are the kind of person who thinks that safes should be opened by lockpicks and attempts to open with a pickaxe should always be a painstakingly long process regardless of how deep into the game you are, then yes... this is perfect.

If you are the kind of person who likes choice, not so perfect.

To me lockpicks are vendor fodder. They are not worth the inventory space they take. If I find them while looting and there happens to be a safe nearby I might try them but as soon as I get back it foes into the vendor chest. I would never consider putting points into lockpicking.

Note that I only play solo or duo. I guess they could be interesting if you are part of a larger team and want to specialize in looting.

There will soon be locked containers like suitcases that will be destroyed with all contents lost if hit with a pickaxe but will be lootable if lockpicks are used.

Hmm, I will of course, reserve final judgement until I see how it plays out, but my initial thoughts might be that this could turn lockpicks from something more or less pointless, into something more or less mandatory.

The containers themselves will need to be quite clearly advertised to the player as lockpick only (by whatever method that advertisement might take, even if that's only the inability to access the container otherwise), and lockpicking, without perks, will still need to be reasonably successful some of the time.

It'll be a fine balance to strike I think.

GOOD! I hated beeing able to get into something that is meant to protect something so easily.

Make desksaves 10k gunsaves 20k and those boxes like 40k.

Still doable with a steelpick or an auger... but otherwise lockpicks simply won't have a real use.

GOOD! I hated beeing able to get into something that is meant to protect something so easily.

Make desksaves 10k gunsaves 20k and those boxes like 40k.

Still doable with a steelpick or an auger... but otherwise lockpicks simply won't have a real use.

This is backwards balancing. That's like gutting every other attribute because AGI is considered to be on the weak side. Not to mention making players spend significantly longer smacking a box is just bad and boring gameplay. I'd rather see it merged with Lucky Looter so that only lockpicked containers get the loot bonus, but the plans Roland stated sound good as well.

This is backwards balancing. That's like gutting every other attribute because AGI is considered to be on the weak side. Not to mention making players spend significantly longer smacking a box is just bad and boring gameplay. I'd rather see it merged with Lucky Looter so that only lockpicked containers get the loot bonus, but the plans Roland stated sound good as well.

Not backwards. It depends on the situation... I do like the idea roland mentioned... (if those containers actually give good loot then, bc right now I skip every briefcase and smaller loot container besides sinks)

but I do not want ppl to be able to simply break something like a safe.

Safes are made to withstand insane things so that the things inside are protected.

That is why their loot is so good. But if I can litterally 8 swing a desk safe and 16 swing a gunsafe... its not a safe anymore. Its just another loot container.

But if I actually need lockpicks (getting skilled in them is currently completely useless) it becomes not a necessity but an incentive to clutter your inventory.

I was never a fan of beeing able to break these safes... never made any sense... but it was a necessary evil bc there were no lockpicks.

Also... again... you dont need the perks to actually use them. All they do is make them more reliable and waste less of them

The we will build our bases out of safes: check mate funpimps!!!

Maybe they need to add a damage mechanic for the loot? Or allow them to open doors? With the right mods a pickaxe can break anything, so outside of early game i am having a hard time justifying their uses. One mechanical part is expensive.

Or.....

Have the lockpicks increase the loot value inside the safe. If that was added to the picks, and the perks, i think that would be worth it.

There will soon be locked containers like suitcases that will be destroyed with all contents lost if hit with a pickaxe but will be lootable if lockpicks are used.

If they are going to make them mandatory in certain situations, there needs to be a minigame or something to make using them at least somewhat interesting. Right now, it's hold down the button to "attack it", or a few clicks to pick it. I was looking forward to lock picks, but the implementation is boring and I have no interest in yet another perk sink(yes, I am an anti-perk LBD proponent).

If they are going to make them mandatory in certain situations, there needs to be a minigame or something to make using them at least somewhat interesting. Right now, it's hold down the button to "attack it", or a few clicks to pick it. I was looking forward to lock picks, but the implementation is boring and I have no interest in yet another perk sink(yes, I am an anti-perk LBD proponent).

Every mini game will be soon boring and then REALLY annoying. Imagine opening your 323 gun safe with a 15sec mini game.

There is a reason why there is a mod in Skyrim for Lockpicking.... because the mini game gets boring and not fun at all after the couple times.

Archived