0XP RolMod A18

Roland

Congratz Roland ! I really want to try this with 3) Larger Wandering Hordes

A request regarding distribution : would it be possible to have independent modlets for each feature ? You would distribute a mod with all of these modlets, but we could chose to apply, say 0xp and Larger Wandering Hordes, but not nerd polling nerf or hud ?

Then you would nerdpole with a 2x1 tower instead of a 1x1.

Removing nerdpolling is pretty lofty Roland but I honestly do not see such happening in an open world builder like this. The player just has to many options and to much power. All you really accomplish is changing the way that players can nerdpole.

I guess that's where Roland would just have to choose what definition of nerdpoling it is he's trying to stop? I typically think of nerdpoling as going straight up on frames or hay bales via jump/placing... I would say you're actually building a tower doing it without jump/placing even as small as 2x1, because that could conceivably be done IRL.

Now the lack of vertical structural integrity calculations in game limits what you can do about the rest, but maybe if there was a way to limit the number of blocks placed on top of "unimproved" (read frames/hay bales) blocks, so that you could only go up say 5 wood frames before the bottom one disintegrated? Again though, I haven't modded at all yet, so don't know what's possible.

I guess that's where Roland would just have to choose what definition of nerdpoling it is he's trying to stop? I typically think of nerdpoling as going straight up on frames or hay bales via jump/placing... I would say you're actually building a tower doing it without jump/placing even as small as 2x1, because that could conceivably be done IRL.

Now the lack of vertical structural integrity calculations in game limits what you can do about the rest, but maybe if there was a way to limit the number of blocks placed on top of "unimproved" (read frames/hay bales) blocks, so that you could only go up say 5 wood frames before the bottom one disintegrated? Again though, I haven't modded at all yet, so don't know what's possible.

Honestly, it's looking like a rabbit hole the more I look into it. For example... I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT HAYBALES... The only real viable way to prevent it is to change the game so that no blocks can be placed when in mid-air. Otherwise....it's a nightmare trying to change the properties of this block or that block.

And then there are still plenty of blocks that aren't convenient to break or pick up but still convenient to place so we could STILL nerdpole with say....flagstone blocks but just leave them in the stack next to the house when we're done and soon the world is filled with abandoned nerdpoles all over the place.

meh.... self-discipline is looking easier :)

Damn, didn't even know those stacked. Just that my brother loves to cover the ceiling with them when I'm not in the base. 🤦

Yeh I probably potted plant pole more than I do nerd pole. Kinda makes sense to stand on a giant potted plant to reach something than it does to build a frame in 10 seconds with no nails and stand on it.

3) Larger Wandering Hordes

This is a cool obvious benefit of 0xp, but just to throw a random remarks you could also play (or implement it) with heat.

Is it possible to increase the heat generated while player is in the city (either from its action or passively) ?

What I mean is now that more zombie does not bias xp/progression, you can play with heat generation as well as with hordes

Is there any way to reset XP on death? Or remove 10 levels etc? I guess maybe.. you could have 30 unique debufs. Each debuff removes 1 level from your skills. So if you die, it's basically 10 days worth of progression, and basically gimps your character meaning you can then only ever reach 290 skill points.

Then you die again, and you can only reach 280...

That sounds feasible?

Is there any way to reset XP on death? Or remove 10 levels etc? I guess maybe.. you could have 30 unique debufs. Each debuff removes 1 level from your skills. So if you die, it's basically 10 days worth of progression, and basically gimps your character meaning you can then only ever reach 290 skill points.

Then you die again, and you can only reach 280...

That sounds feasible?

I'm still trying to figure out how to add levels. There is no code in the game presently that allows you to gain levels without earning an amount of xp to trigger that level gain. Therefore there is also no way to remove levels. Once I can get help with adding levels maybe we can look at removing them.

BTW, the game does not keep track of your overall experience. It just keeps track of how much you've earned to trigger a level up and then it forgets what you earned before and it starts the count for the next level up. So there is no overall pool of XP to subtract from in order to make the player drop a level.

On the other hand the near death buff seems to reduce your abilities in a similar way to losing levels. Maybe there would be a way to use that--make it a permanent loss instead of a 30 minute loss. (But I'm not really interested in that for my mod.)

I'm still trying to figure out how to add levels. There is no code in the game presently that allows you to gain levels without earning an amount of xp to trigger that level gain. Therefore there is also no way to remove levels. Once I can get help with adding levels maybe we can look at removing them.

BTW, the game does not keep track of your overall experience. It just keeps track of how much you've earned to trigger a level up and then it forgets what you earned before and it starts the count for the next level up. So there is no overall pool of XP to subtract from in order to make the player drop a level.

On the other hand the near death buff seems to reduce your abilities in a similar way to losing levels. Maybe there would be a way to use that--make it a permanent loss instead of a 30 minute loss. (But I'm not really interested in that for my mod.)

Curious as to why you need to add levels?

Is it for increasing your game stages to get the deadlier spawn quicker since it would take so long to get to the higher levels with the low xp now?

If so and everything is working in the gamestages.xml:

gameStage = ( playerLevel + daysSurvived ) * gameDifficultyMultiplier

Every day the player lives they get +1 added towards their days survived.

So at the end of your beginning quest they are lvl 7 on day 1. their gamestage is 7

You can increase the multiplier some to ramp up their gs so days survived is the driving factor, instead of player level.

example: If you set the multiplier to be (2) the next day it would be

(7 + 1) * 2 = a gs of 16

or set it to (3)

(7 + 1) * 3 = a gs of 24

day 3

(7 + 2) * 3 = a gs of 27

I guess, if it works, you could also set the multiplier to "0", then "player level" nor "days alive", would mean anything for the gamestages, and the xp would be just for leveling the player to just give perk points.

or even set the multiplier to a decimal since the game multiplier has decimals it uses as well.

haven't tested any of this yet, so just something to try..

Curious as to why you need to add levels?

Is it for increasing your game stages to get the deadlier spawn quicker since it would take so long to get to the higher levels with the low xp now?

If so and everything is working in the gamestages.xml:

gameStage = ( playerLevel + daysSurvived ) * gameDifficultyMultiplier

Every day the player lives they get +1 added towards their days survived.

So at the end of your beginning quest they are lvl 7 on day 1. their gamestage is 7

You can increase the multiplier some to ramp up their gs so days survived is the driving factor, instead of player level.

example: If you set the multiplier to be (2) the next day it would be

(7 + 1) * 2 = a gs of 16

or set it to (3)

(7 + 1) * 3 = a gs of 24

day 3

(7 + 2) * 3 = a gs of 27

I guess, if it works, you could also set the multiplier to "0", then "player level" nor "days alive", would mean anything for the gamestages, and the xp would be just for leveling the player to just give perk points.

or even set the multiplier to a decimal since the game multiplier has decimals it uses as well.

haven't tested any of this yet, so just something to try..

I wish it worked that way Tin. But if you read the fine print in the xml comments you will see that they went and made daysSurvived equal to your days survived or your level whichever one is least. This was borne out in my tests as I would never progress past a gamestage of 2 no matter the day or how long I survived. I could make that number higher by messing with the difficulty level multiplier but that simply made it easy on day 1 and impossible on day 2...

Gamestage is important for zombie types, bloodmoon horde size, and loot quality. My best two choices would be to either:

1) Mod the game so that earning a skillpoint gains the player a level.

I like this solution because (like it or love it) the game is keyed into the player level and making that level advance will maintain the general flavor of the game which I personally do like.

2) Mod out the player level limiter currently attached to daysSurvived.

I like this solution because it would mean just daily advancement of gamestage. This would almost make the game return to how it once was where the difficulty curve was based on the day instead of the player. I'm not against that idea.

Either one of those would be the big "problem solved" moment for my mod. My current method is flawed because even at 2% once you get high enough in levels you do start to gain xp from looting and trading which are the only two actions currently unexposed for xp gains. But to mess with gamestages would be major coding and to get a level for a skillpoint (instead of the other way around like it is in vanilla) would require SDX which I don't know and so must wait upon the good graces of anyone who does know and is willing to help.

I wish it worked that way Tin. But if you read the fine print in the xml comments you will see that they went and made daysSurvived equal to your days survived or your level whichever one is least. This was borne out in my tests as I would never progress past a gamestage of 2 no matter the day or how long I survived. I could make that number higher by messing with the difficulty level multiplier but that simply made it easy on day 1 and impossible on day 2...

Gamestage is important for zombie types, bloodmoon horde size, and loot quality. My best two choices would be to either:

1) Mod the game so that earning a skillpoint gains the player a level.

I like this solution because (like it or love it) the game is keyed into the player level and making that level advance will maintain the general flavor of the game which I personally do like.

2) Mod out the player level limiter currently attached to daysSurvived.

I like this solution because it would mean just daily advancement of gamestage. This would almost make the game return to how it once was where the difficulty curve was based on the day instead of the player. I'm not against that idea.

Either one of those would be the big "problem solved" moment for my mod. My current method is flawed because even at 2% once you get high enough in levels you do start to gain xp from looting and trading which are the only two actions currently unexposed for xp gains. But to mess with gamestages would be major coding and to get a level for a skillpoint (instead of the other way around like it is in vanilla) would require SDX which I don't know and so must wait upon the good graces of anyone who does know and is willing to help.

Heh, this is what I get, for not really having any time to mod that much anymore. Well cool, it saves me some time in messing with that lol.

It’s perplexing why they did it that way as in pretty much all cases people level considerably faster than the day’s count anyway. Even I who don’t play to level so to speak was always a higher level than the day count— so why the extra effort of code to make it so Days survived is less than it already is?

It’s perplexing why they did it that way as in pretty much all cases people level considerably faster than the day’s count anyway. Even I who don’t play to level so to speak was always a higher level than the day count— so why the extra effort of code to make it so Days survived is less than it already is?

I assumed for multiplayer where a low level player may be in an older world.

I assumed for multiplayer where a low level player may be in an older world.

Shouldn't matter because it isn't global day count, it is personal days alive (Im pretty sure). I said "day count" above because I was assuming starting from Day 1 but someone starting from Day 100 should still have a daysAlive score of just 1.

A friend and I tried this mod out today, but can't seem to get the daily skill points to work.

The no death animation works, I get a level and a skill point from trader quests, I have a purple xp bleeding buff counting down from 60 minutes.

When the buff count goes down to 0, nothing happens, I just get the same buff over again.

It said in the read me, that you need SDX for something, so I ran it through the SDX launcher, but still didn't get the daily skill points.

I didn't die, and I have the xp multiplier set to 2%.

Is there anyone who knows what I might be doing wrong?

Archived