Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Maybe when he’s free he can figure out how to get the lids off jars before drinking from them?

Actually, even if intended as a joke, this would be one of those small things... Sometimes it is the small things that impress the most. For instance having a hand in view that open that lid before drinking or lighting the fuse to a pipe bomb in view with a lighter... These things might be labor intensive to include and seem as very small things but they are also part of the players first impression and I must say when I read your comment it gave me a mental picture of that happening and I was a bit wowed by it.

I for one would also like to see the clothes you wear on the arms in first person view.

I think my current avatar makes people think I’m meaner and less light-hearted than I actually am.

Not at all, just a joke. Wasn't trying to say your mean or nothing. I'm just super sick atm and thought, "why not" as I can't really do anything else right now.

@madmole

I seriously think there are too many dungeon POIs.

You said recently that you are adding more ruined houses and reducing the sleepers, but I don't think this is quite enough. I don't like that 99% of the houses are dungeons filled with dozens of zombies. Where do all these people even come from? Seriously 1 village with 20 buildings has 300 zombies. Wtf?! It doesn't feel right. It's immersion breaking. I think many houses should be empty. Like they used to be. I'd rather see a lot more wandering zombies outside and need to run inside for protection than the opposite, and so many other players think the same. @Roland maybe this is an idea for a poll.

I think you guys should just randomly determine if a house is going to contain sleepers or not, with something like 50 50 chance. I miss normal empty houses with no sleepers.

Can we expect to see more done with water in A18? examples:

-- Buckets that STACK when empty

-- fish/fishing?

-- quest that involve finding a chest or something in a lake

-- Water/breaking Mods?

-- pump and pipe to move water to my base

-- water catcher

-- ICE and Ice fishing :)

-- Gators! :)

Incentives. I witnessed the game change completely from people having as their main objectives things like harvesting materials, building a shelter, hunting for meat, scavenging POI's, and starting a garden-- and doing those things in an organic and survival focused manner to the game becoming all about chasing experience points for the purpose of leveling up as quickly as possible.

Now I'm not knocking that type of gameplay for those who like it but it was a dramatic departure of the types of incentives and rewards the player was exposed to and in my opinion-- not for the better.

Even the new system (imo) gives too much incentive to the player to directly increase their experience and level up by grinding even without LBD acting as highly addictive drug for that gameplay style. I have just one last hurdle to overcome which I'm hoping to get help on this week and then my mod will be ready for public testing in which xp is completely bypassed. You will gain skillpoints simply for surviving for a full day and for completing quests. Whether you kill zombies, avoid them, mine, farm, scavenge, trade...whatever—None of that will gain you xp and no activity will act as a missed opportunity where you could have done something else more valuable to level yourself up. You will take actions for their own merit and not as a means to gaining xp efficiently.

Iam very interested in this mod - sounds like surviving and reaching the personal goals is all you have to take care. Please announce it, if it is ready for DL :-)

And sorry for maybe too late/off-topic.

-- fish/fishing?

-- Water/breaking Mods?

-- water catcher

Also bottled water that stacks like bottled murky water and cans of boiled water that stack at all:smile-new:

@madmole

I seriously think there are too many dungeon POIs.

You said recently that you are adding more ruined houses and reducing the sleepers, but I don't think this is quite enough. I don't like that 99% of the houses are dungeons filled with dozens of zombies. Where do all these people even come from? Seriously 1 village with 20 buildings has 300 zombies. Wtf?! It doesn't feel right. It's immersion breaking. I think many houses should be empty. Like they used to be. I'd rather see a lot more wandering zombies outside and need to run inside for protection than the opposite, and so many other players think the same. @Roland maybe this is an idea for a poll.

I think you guys should just randomly determine if a house is going to contain sleepers or not, with something like 50 50 chance. I miss normal empty houses with no sleepers.

If they were to do that then I suggest, if there are no sleepers then there should be no loot room either - risk vs reward and all. Game is already too easy when it comes to loot.

-- fish/fishing?

-- Water/breaking Mods?

-- water catcher

Some good ideas over here. I feel like some of these are very hard to do tho, like the moving water through pump and pipe one.

Yeah I make a pumpkin cheesecake that is so worth it about twice a year. I do miss moose tracks ice cream lol. I mean not really though, once you get settled into it and feel so much better and look better, I honestly cringe when I see most of the old foods I used to eat all the time that made me fat.

OMG! MooseTracks! I used to live on that! Thanks a lot for reminding me me it's gone... And Deer Tracks ain't the same...

-- fish/fishing?

-- Water/breaking Mods?

-- water catcher

Subnautica doens't have that level of water features. Sorry we have to stick to the list or ship in 2030.

I still wonder if it's possible to add a trading system player-to-player in the game...i still[ATTACH=CONFIG]28133[/ATTACH]..

Put your stuff in a chest, have him take it and put his stuff in the chest and you take it. Done.

Subnautica doens't have that level of water features. Sorry we have to stick to the list or ship in 2030.

Lol you're right, maybe dlc, once gold is reached

- - - Updated - - -

Put your stuff in a chest, have him take it and put his stuff in the chest and you take it. Done.

Not cool dude... not cool

Or just remove the text entirely and let the players learn by doing when the plants should be harvested...

This^

If 8year olds (and younger) can figure it out in Minecraft when the plants are ready to harvest..

You have to stare at it for a bit before the text pops up, so to me its not annoying as before when you had press e to take showing up constantly.

OK...it's your game and you know it inside and out...but load up a game and you'll notice it's instant. Running across a field, 'Cotton' 'Cotton' 'Cotton' Goldenrod' 'Goldenrod' popping up. At least 'Press E to take' had a purpose...

Anyway, it was just a suggestion since it was the first thing that annoyed me the first time I tried A17.2 yesterday. I've come across things much more annoying since (and some cool things as well, so don't get me wrong). I'll come back and try it again in the future.

Not cool dude... not cool

I just don't see the reason. This is a pvp or pve game, if someone betrays you in a trade just kill them. I mean doesn't it create an interesting social dynamic trading with someone? Even if we did make some trading interface they could still shoot you and take your stuff afterwards. What good would it do? I feel like I'm not seeing the use case.

Actually, even if intended as a joke, this would be one of those small things... Sometimes it is the small things that impress the most. For instance having a hand in view that open that lid before drinking or lighting the fuse to a pipe bomb in view with a lighter... These things might be labor intensive to include and seem as very small things but they are also part of the players first impression and I must say when I read your comment it gave me a mental picture of that happening and I was a bit wowed by it.

I for one would also like to see the clothes you wear on the arms in first person view.

I do joke about the jars from time to time, but this time I wasn't.

In fact, what made me bring it up was the talk about first impressions. I don't know why, but this jar thing has stuck in my head since gaining my own first impression. Another thing that stuck out to me when I first played the game was how all food looks like a chunk of lard in your hand... but it didn't strike me as bad as the jars, only because I know making all the different food and animations to go along with them would be time consuming.

Back to joking now... what exactly would eating bacon and eggs look like? Without a plate or utensils? That might be more horrifying than the zombies.

Subnautica - the Zombie addition - that is your DLC!

so there are a few things you can address - I hope:

-- Stacking buckets

-- Zombie Gator like a bear but only spawns in water blocks

As for the trading interface subject, I would love to see this also.

When we are out away from base and 1 person has something another person needs we currently have to say "ok, face me and I'm fixing to drop it" then hope the other has time to pick it up before it disappears and/or rolls down a hill.

Making a storage chest for no reason in the wild and/or having full inventory at the time shouldn't restrict a safe trade, right?

Archived