Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Good morning all I hope everyone is well,

I really like the look of the new division of weapons through the attributes. I do have some questions and a balance item to bring up.

MadMole,

- New Attribute and Perk division

Will Fortitude and Agility still drive Max HP and Stamina? I love the idea of Clubs and Shotguns being in Strength as that is my bread and butter, but I am wondering if I will have to budget skill points for Fortitude and Agility to increase Max HP and Stamina.

- Balance Suggestion

I think the Nerdy Glasses are too OP. Especially if you get them early. Having 10% XP boost and craft at a +1 quality level is too much IMHO.

Especially if the quality of the item will drive the damage it does. I believe you hinted at going back to this.

I think it should be the 10% xp bonus only. Or give it something else to do with learning. Also if it is felt that 10% is too little without another bonus then it can be increased to 15% or 20%, what ever seems fair. I do think that the +1 crafting level is OP though and will be more so in the new system.

Thank you! have a great one!

Yes, and I believe that is the plan for nerd glasses.

Madmole, you did some work on making money off being a lumberjack or miner, by selling raw goods to the trader. I have a suggestion to further that idea in A18.

I know you hate the idea of classes or professions in 7DTD, but what if you could choose from a series of books or perks that let you become proficient in a one particular money making profession. You would only be allowed to choose from one profession and specialize in it (lumberjack, miner, scavenger, trapper) and get a small bonus selling to the trader.

The books can only add, not subtract or block.

I don't think it would have widespread appeal. For example there was a lot of negativity when loot was hugely nerfed from killing zombies. With no loot and no xp I think a lot of people wouldn't be very happy. It appeals to some obviously but not for a vanilla experience.

I firmly believe that modding is for creating an alternate experience and not for fixing supposed problems. I'm doing this for my own preferences having fully played and enjoyed the vanilla experience. Even though I personally don't like an xp incentive tempting me to not play organically others really love and enjoy the process of accruing experience.

We might remove the xp popout so you can't tie a value very easily to an activity.

No we're trying to avoid them by not having any grindy loops that force players to craft 1000 daggers, run in a corner with a weight on the W key etc. The perk buying system allows that. We went to far with it though and enabled crafting of high level weapons and didn't have books so it kind of killed looting. With some balance we believe it will be awesome.

At least I did never grind with LBD. I just enjoyed seeing the level ups while playing and felt the natural progression while just playing the game. For me punching grass would be boring AF and it wouldn't be worth it for me.

But you don't have to add LBD on every single thing, so there wouldn't be any spam crafting and spam punching grass. For example, you could keep it on Athletics. Spam running would be bad as it would reduce Max Stamina.

No we're trying to avoid them by not having any grindy loops that force players to craft 1000 daggers, run in a corner with a weight on the W key etc. The perk buying system allows that. We went to far with it though and enabled crafting of high level weapons and didn't have books so it kind of killed looting. With some balance we believe it will be awesome.

and again, sounds like a good direction for the game. I like what I hear and looking forward to jumping from A16 to A18 :-)

They forget that a good number of players don't like "class" type play and simply want to be able to play any aspect of the game when it suits them.

Not a fan of "classes" either. I have a degree in economics and later studied medicine to become a doctor. If I had gone by classes, I would have been done with business studies, because my skills were maxed out lol. Glad that life offers more than one class.

and again, sounds like a good direction for the game. I like what I hear and looking forward to jumping from A16 to A18 :-)

Not a fan of "classes" either. I have a degree in economics and later studied medicine to become a doctor. If I had gone by classes, I would have been done with business studies, because my skills were maxed out lol. Glad that life offers more than one class.

You can label certain playstyles as a class, but in 7 Days its really build the character you want that fits your play style. The tricky part is surviving and not getting too weak because you over spec'd into something and under spec'd elsewhere. But to me that is an interesting puzzle to solve as a gamer.

The books can only add, not subtract or block.

Well ... No, you can initialize a player with cvars and use that system to allow some things affecting you but not others, but that'd be a decent sized project and far outside the scope of your vanilla goals imo...

Are you folks going to cut down the number of dungeons and put in more normal type of PoIs? I would have preferred if the dungeons were kept to those high rise style PoI's

A random POI generator (assembled from smaller template sections) would be an idea.

Every house and skyscraper in town unique...

Well ... No, you can initialize a player with cvars and use that system to allow some things affecting you but not others, but that'd be a decent sized project and far outside the scope of your vanilla goals imo...

Yeah I'm not a fan of clunky XML work, when a one liner in C# can replace 2 paragraphs of XML, we go with the C#.

Are you folks going to cut down the number of dungeons and put in more normal type of PoIs? I would have preferred if the dungeons were kept to those high rise style PoI's

Adding at least 8 million more dungeons. Even a tent will be dungeon and spawn a behemoth if your game stage 1. But seriously no we're adding a lot more dungeons but are adding some more abandoned ruins types of POIS as well.

Ask and receive.

That is awesome. My inner smart 4ss has to say though with that much C4 you are not opening doors you are removing walls. :)

Either way a big fan of the new graphics and idea of these charges! Well done!

Ask and receive.

Looks nice, will it be a one in all craft or do we craft it in pieces and then put it together? Like C4 is one, the primer is one and the timer is one kinda thing?

I was surprised to see it as a block though, as it is to be used on doors and safes I was picturing something more in line with a breach charge like you see in the movies. A long and thin strip that you attach on the hinge side.

Will we see a change to the safe graphics when this has been used? Like a door torn open?

Archived