Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

PS, 1080P and improved audio!

They're not quite a game changer, but getting them all would be very strong. So much, that MP co-op should focus one guy as the looter and during hoard night give him the best gun and most of the ammo.

So far, the best set of books! :D

Well no that would be bad. The best choice is when the chunk is loaded for you, otherwise some jerks might go in and loot it before you get there, for those people who take quests and do them 4 days later lol.

I guess on a server this means you just not need to pick up a quest unless you tend to do it, being slow means others can beat you to the prize... :D

They're not quite a game changer, but getting them all would be very strong. So much, that MP co-op should focus one guy as the looter and during hoard night give him the best gun and most of the ammo.

So far, the best set of books! :D

I would disagree a bit. The fact books are being brought back will make looting more desirable and rewarding when one finds that book he/she is so desperately seeking. The biggest complaint from everyone i played with regarding A17 was the removal of books. In my opinion tons and tons of players are going to be so excited for the fact books are being brought back and in a much deeper way as well.

The cracks IMO need to be a little more subtle.

You can still maintain the atmosphere with just ease back on the grim on the texters. I don't think the players want to feel depressed they just want enough dinge so that it fits and it looks good at the same time. We make bases and homes out of these pois.

I know I start these rants frustrated because I'm looking at the footage and just thinking to myself do people not see a problem with this.

I come to the conclusion that voxel games are hard to look at as it is. Having textures that have a lot of visual noise and being multiplied in copied can distract from the more detailed decoration. Stop making the excuse that it's the apocalypse that's why everything looks so gray and a lot of the walls have no contrast to the floors and ceilings.

One block texture has 4 paint chips and looks like it's made out of concrete. Just make a simple subtle drywall texter that has a little bit of grim on so it doesn't pop out like an eyesore. Please

Dude our art team made Rage and various Doom games. Let our art team do their job. It looks better than it ever has and if you think otherwise you need your head or eyes examined, as id games are always praised for their art. I'm sure 7 days will look amazing when its finished we're in the best hands money can buy. As I said its a WIP and until the new renderer comes online and every texture is redone its not going to look right.

The new ore clusters might as well be the floating exclamation marks as is. The models and textures are perfect. Offset them by -.75 and they will look and feel a lot better in general.

I disagree, I had them sunk into the ground and they became small stones. Spend 3 hours looking for one and you might change your tune.

As of like 2 days ago, deco was enabled on mountains. Previously it didn't so ore was pretty rare. Now ores are kinda everywhere so the video is misleading as to how much ore will be available on release. We'll drastically reduce it so its an exciting find instead of stumbling over it. In that context, it needs to stick out so you can actually spot that one needle in the haystack.

P.S Madmole and Roland are great forum dev posters and I like when you respond to my frustrated posts.

Oh I read this after banning you. Maybe roland can unban you. Just kidding, but I felt like it. And that Victorius guy is very close to getting a fridge filled with books hurled his way.

Alpha 1 still has some assets in there. We'll get to them eventually.

Are you gonna get FrankieonPC1080p to do another video when you go gold? He'd probably ♥♥♥♥ himself at how much the game evolved from the early alpha.

His fans too.

Are you gonna get FrankieonPC1080p to do another video when you go gold? He'd probably ♥♥♥♥ himself at how much the game evolved from the early alpha.

His fans too.

Is he still doing stuff online somewhere? His last YT video is from over 2 years ago.

I watched him years ago... then forgot about him for a bit and when I checked again, I noticed he didn't post a video for a while... and seems like still not.

Unless you are being sarcastic, you are so wrong its not even funny. They deliberately choose desaturated dirty old clothing for the zombies so they are clearly undead. On top of that they post process it with a sepia toned filter to make it look desaturated, depressing and ominous.

https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/FTWD_506_RG_0211_0459_RT-1-1014x570.jpg

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/cb05dcb21fb7203e67813c7c64b9b346014bc48d/c=0-185-3600-2219/local/-/media/2016/02/15/USATODAY/USATODAY/635910975427054576-The-Walking-Dead-zombies.jpg?width=3200&height=1680&fit=crop

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/the-walking-dead-twd-talking-zombies-whisperers-jesus.jpg

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fan/image?url=https://undeadwalking.com/files/2017/07/FTWD_501_RG_1212_0435_RT.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Yeah Madmole, want me to screenshot how it looked when Rick and his group left the Atlanta Camp? Nice and bright! Right now I am looking at the Walking Dead with my wife, started again from season 1 and try to watch it till the last episode. Do you really want to me to search in every episode to prove you that there is nice weather in the Walking Dead? I am not being sarcastic at all. And I am talking about weather, not zombies.

First photo it's just cloudy, second photo it's just smoke and 3rd is just night or evening time. Any more proofs?

Are you talking about zombies or weather? I think you totally misunderstood me, because I was talking about WEATHER, not zombies. I would like to see zombies with a gray tone, grey clothes, more skeletonish face and gray skin like in the Walking Dead (like the pictures you showed me), but to make the weather like that? That's a NO.

And that Viktorius guy is very close to getting a fridge filled with books hurled his way.

Nice! Is that like a preorder bonus, where I start every new game with a fridge and some books in my inventory?

Lovely :D Can I chose which bookseries is in there or is the fridge a lootbox with random books every time?

Also nice to see in your latest video, that books are actually worth more than ~100 dukes (~2000) that were once mentioned.

Nothing here to see :smile-new:

which makes the 50xp even more laughable

Is he still doing stuff online somewhere? His last YT video is from over 2 years ago.

I watched him years ago... then forgot about him for a bit and when I checked again, I noticed he didn't post a video for a while... and seems like still not.

He's been MIA for a while now but just recently dropped some hints he might be returning. I see him as a funny version of jack frags. Dude still managed to gain 500k subs with an essentially dead channel lol.

Here is the video if you want to take a trip down memory lane:

Also @Madmole, since the Demolisher was revealed can we get a hi-res image of him? He looks badass but on the stream you can't really get a detailed look at him.

What’s wrong with Ross Perot?

He's dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. I did my research over multiple alphas on this. People complain and they are just uneducated. We don't just slap random things in, I put a lot of work into researching things before we add them to the game and try to ground everything in reality as much as possible, and only break those rules when it doesn't serve the gameplay god, which is always king.

*Cough* fire demon *cough*

:)

If I want XP, I don't want to obtain obscene amounts just by pressing a button. I'd rather get my fists into the action. By your logic, we should be getting 100 XP for every crop we punch, since we harvest them only once every three days; but that would be highly unbalanced. I'll summarize my thoughts with this simple sentence: It's fine the way it is. Again, if TFP choose to change it in the future, that's their prerogative. You can suggest, but not spam.

Think of reading a 2nd book as an abstraction of reading a second book on the same subject. You don't necessarily gain new knowledge to gain a skill, but you gain a better understanding of the subject to get more experience in it.

...now, isn't that worth more than 50?

- - - Updated - - -

These terrainfillers only create "biome blocks", not make special trap blocks, but that goes a long way.

Instead of a square you can blend a round / jagged "flat surface" into the overall terrain now. Pretty useful tool although it has barely been used, yet, in A18. =)

Yeh I know I'd have to make my own trap blocks.

I hold the button using auger/chainsaw and I always get screamers and frequently.

I tested it with the auger in an iron mine far from my base. It took less than 5 minutes until the game spawned the first screamer. I kept the button pressed and the auger was only stopped when the auger was refilled.

I still have to test it with other materials because the theory is that not the auger increases the heat in a chunk but the noise of hitting iron.

EDIT: I have switched on the debug mode and have the heat displayed. It's actually the hits on the iron that increase the heat. With stone and gravel the heat does not rise. Since the auger hits the iron often in rapid succession, the heat rises very quickly compared to a pickaxe.

Archived