Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Several hours not but 30 minutes or optionally until my inventory is full is not uncommon.

In A16 I never had any problems with screamers called by the auger but for some reason it's different in A17.

I also saw this happening to a streamer that used the auger and then had a screamer horde on its heels.

That's why I only work with the pickaxe and the shovel at depths over 15m.

I'll test it again at the weekend but I'm pretty sure that the auger spawn screamers even if you hold the button pressed.

Screamer hordes can get out of control pretty quickly if you're not careful. Especially at a higher gamestage when screamers spawn more screamers.

I have 12 forges in my workshop. 3 of them are for cement, 3 for iron and these usually run for several hours at a time. Fortunately I have the forges on the bedrock. Otherwise every 5 minutes a screamer would spawn. Even if a screamer would spawn she would get killed by the iron spikes in the trench around my base.

After hearing your use case, you should have screamers in your loot boxes, screamers in your air drops, and screamers randomly crafted out of your backpack lol. 12 forges is overkill. Granted you don't have forge mods or perks like I do, I get by fine with 2 forges, but pre a18 I'd never need more than 3 or 4. You can get auto turrets to destroy the screamers, and I've been known to have off site forging facilities. Like you might as well put one in your mine and crank it up when you leave, its so far away the chunk wont load and zeds will never attack it. You come back to mine, you grab your 4000 forged iron on the way out and restock the forge.

LOL of course. The idea is something small and terrifying. Could be a mudcrab from half life. I don't know. Cat zombies? But as a cat lover I can't go there lol. I guess I love dogs too but resident evil made them evil enough I don't mind killing zombie dogs. Something small and creepy. Maybe a torso that grew some spider legs or something like the thing. Doesn't have to be kid, but there really I see no problem with something strain ish. We want them popping out of the painting holes and heat ducts.

Just allow an onDeath event to spawn a new entity and modders will take over... their onSpawn would be a "bursting through guts" animation to hide the spawn, and then you'd have little john carpenter crawlers coming after your ass...

(but seriously, a hook for onDeath to spawn a new entity is highly desired)

Or something like this, that just starts whacking your ass.

LOL of course. The idea is something small and terrifying. Could be a mudcrab from half life. I don't know. Cat zombies? But as a cat lover I can't go there lol. I guess I love dogs too but resident evil made them evil enough I don't mind killing zombie dogs. Something small and creepy. Maybe a torso that grew some spider legs or something like the thing. Doesn't have to be kid, but there really I see no problem with something strain ish. We want them popping out of the painting holes and heat ducts.

Moles. Seriously. You need something that can double as a sleeper zombie for underground.

Halflife headcrabs were little jump-scare masters in that damn game, still gives me laugh-chills. Some kind of small enemy like that would be an effective addition, especially to POI crawls. Never felt bad blasting those little fuggers out the way, but I always felt bad shooting those little sonic alien dog things, they whined and made sad noises, anyway that's HL. Right now in 7DTD the only animal I never ever kill is the rabbit, because I had one that looked just like it irl, and I imagine they're a pain to hit anyway, like that dang chicken. Anyway most of the animals are pretty short, but we only have zombie bears and dogs now, even more zombified versions of other animals would be a decent addition. I would shoot a zombie rabbit... of course it has to be solid white and have red eyes. You know why. Do it.

i can see it now or later i should say.. more like end of a18 or into a19, people will be crying ... "where is the flesh bound book we were promised"

I love the idea, but I think this is essentially a blood moon horde with a reward. Meanwhile, we have a blood moon horde that needs ideas to retain its worth.

Moles. Seriously. You need something that can double as a sleeper zombie for underground.

Imagine you're digging and then zombies come bursting through your tunnel from a nearby underground pocket. ...was just speaking to 4Sheetz and he's got it working.

Seems like a non issue and a steady purr of an engine would seem to attract less interest than intermittent sounds of starting/stopping anyway, so I'm fine with it as is.

Well, I just did a test in A17, the sounds of Auger, Chainsaw or even the AK do not add anything to the heat map, unless you hit metal (which triggers the metal hit sound that adds some heat itself). So you may want to reconsider this not being an issue. I agree that it just humming would not cause as much heat as it being fired in short bursts, but either use should cause heat in the very least...

Halflife headcrabs were little jump-scare masters in that damn game, still gives me laugh-chills. Some kind of small enemy like that would be an effective addition, especially to POI crawls. Never felt bad blasting those little fuggers out the way, but I always felt bad shooting those little sonic alien dog things, they whined and made sad noises, anyway that's HL. Right now in 7DTD the only animal I never ever kill is the rabbit, because I had one that looked just like it irl, and I imagine they're a pain to hit anyway, like that dang chicken. Anyway most of the animals are pretty short, but we only have zombie bears and dogs now, even more zombified versions of other animals would be a decent addition. I would shoot a zombie rabbit... of course it has to be solid white and have red eyes. You know why. Do it.

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide!

As long as TFP don't make it so that I'll/we'll be interrupted every 15 minutes by a screamer, I'll/we'll be content. ;):p

- - - Updated - - -

Does this include lead ore, iron ore, etc.? If so, I see little issue, since players mostly mine underground to acquire iron, nitrate, etc. anyway, and reaching them would bring greater risk of being found out. Just my personal opinion though.

After hearing your use case, you should have screamers in your loot boxes, screamers in your air drops, and screamers randomly crafted out of your backpack lol. 12 forges is overkill.

Overkill is my middle name ;)

I simply like to produce large quantities of material quickly. If you like to build large bases then you also need a lot of material. And I have a lot of fun collecting material and building big bases. Much more fun than just killing zombies.

The game allows me to do that and I hope that it won't change in the future.

I second using a zombie version of the rabbit. Too bad none of the traders are named....Tim.

:playful:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvignette3.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fcallofduty%2Fimages%2F6%2F60%2FZombie_Monkey_Shangri-La_BO3.png%2Frevision%2Flatest%3Fcb%3D20170626055243&f=1

hmmm maybe... i will submit a suggestion to the pimps to change all vending machines in game to randomly do the following... take money and give nothing, take money and give wrong item(s) or just give money back without the item(s) or even just take money and apply poison gas killing nearby player(s).

seems to me to be a gambling experience... :)

i am kidding btw.

I actually think this is an awesome idea as long as there is a small chance to also get something good.

I mean feral cats or something would be a spot on nightmare, but I understand not wanting to do that for all you cat lovers, still, it would make sense in the lore, all those cats had to go somewhere. Imagine running across a roaming horde of feral cats, something I think we're gonna see in a real apocalypse anyway. So rabbits are a good trade out, what other small animals, that could believably exist in that part of the world and biome, can you think of? How about ground hogs? Squirrels? Armadillos(that far South, sure.)? Skunks? Omg a cluster of rabbid squirrels does sound like a nightmare, and a serious panic ammo drain, especially in tight quarters. Those little fuggers could climb walls and stuff, and jump, it would make small wall openings and otherwise safe entrances nightmare portals. Not against the idea, though I imagine most would love/hate it on a sliding scale, they'd have to be a late game challenge or a special trigger/event enemy, making them common at all would be a bit much, in clusters anyway, one at a time until then. Heck even a group of little red eyed rabbits running in your front door could easily get out of control, ha, sorry, imagining so many scenarios. Some type of small enemy really would add in a challenging new enemy dynamic to deal with, hope something like that happens eventually.

I checked my character. I have about 2 books in each group on average. I'm not changing it because my agility guy found loads. I got a bad roll and the POIs I've been to are not book bearing POIs.. One game I wanted to nerf it, this one I wanted to boost it. That means its perfect.

Like my other game had this one mansion, that had at least 6 book cases in it. I cleared it out, then went outside and started the quest, resetting the POI and double dipped. Trader sent me to the same place... so muahahaahah 24 book cases to loot.

never thought ill see a dev proud of "gaming" his own game (without instantly wanting to fix it) . ;)

@MM, will you ever consider enhancing the quest system to be less immersion breaking (arcade style)?

(example, POI reset will happen off screen like zombie spawn, not in your face after you just finished clearing up the place, quest start via use of some new UI, and not by a huge yellow "!" object in the world, etc)

I can easily see why supporting MP make this harder to design and implement in the way i am suggesting, but was this really the best solution you can find? its fine for demonstrating a WIP concept as place holder, but since it don't fit the style of the rest of the game i would say for me at least it is non ship-able. it kinda ruin my immersion which i highly value in your game. hope you will keep it in mind and mb eventually find a better way to do it that is more immersion friendly. :)

LOL Gross. We're setting the office up for recording so we can have artists come in and record and we won't need to book a studio.

Well, she's trader Jen so, isn't that the joke? And I only realize this today!

Thanks to Guppy for pointing it out. :chuncky:

Just like the fat lady is the Hawaiian shirt guy in drags... Alrighty then!

Yep, squirrels win. As I imagine scenarios with each of these animal types being encountered in little feral hordes in different settings nothing comes close to how f-ing scary and hard to deal with than zombie squirrels. Many of these are small and fast, but it's the squirrels ability to stick to walls and even ceilings that will make them instantly soil the undies of anyone they encounter, especially in confined spaces. Ha, make them good diggers and especially sensitive to running augers :p

I mean feral cats or something would be a spot on nightmare, but I understand not wanting to do that for all you cat lovers, still, it would make sense in the lore, all those cats had to go somewhere.

According to what I read, there are cats in A18. Sweet little mountain lions. ;)

Imagine running across a roaming horde of feral cats, something I think we're gonna see in a real apocalypse anyway.

First I want to see a radioactive feral chicken horde ;)

Archived