Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The idea of "dead is dead" is an interesting game feature, if it will be an option in the settings.

But in its simple form has a big problem - unnatural/accidental/senseless death or death as a consequence of a game bug.

This should be taken into account and thought through this regime more deeply.

It would be a dream come true for me if they implement Dead is Dead. I play with the intention of never dieing once and once I do (very rare I ever die) I quit the server. If I remember correctly "Dead is Dead" game mode was once in 7D2D?...

The idea of "dead is dead" is an interesting game feature, if it will be an option in the settings.

But in its simple form has a big problem - unnatural/accidental/senseless death or death as a consequence of a game bug.

So you want Dead is (almost)Dead?

No. Unfortunately the current entity controllers are too expensive for these sorts of plans to ever appear in the base game, at least as it stands. Since the number of controllers the game can handle is pretty low, and controllers for survivors would detract from the pool available for zombies and bandits, I don't expect we'll ever see this, or, if ever we do, into some far distant post-Gold DLC.

Does this mean the "tamable dog/wolf" is now off the table for the foreseeable future?

About the Dead is Dead option

Roland, I do like the option of resetting the avatar if the player dies (while set to Dead is Dead.)

However, I don't understand why any bases, forts or other structures built by that player have to rot.

Why not make it so the player loses there land claim instead? That way anyone can claim these structures, even the former builder. It's all up for grabs.

But with no land claim all the closed doors would be locked as well as any stores made there. Any traps including turrets would open fire on anyone or anything that gets in range.

I think Madmole suggested something like that a few years back but I can't remember when.

Just an idea and it seems to better fit with the game. :)

Roland, I do like the option of resetting the avatar if the player dies (while set to Dead is Dead.)

However, I don't understand why any bases, forts or other structures built by that player have to rot.

Why not make it so the player loses there land claim instead? That way anyone can claim these structures, even the former builder. It's all up for grabs.

But with no land claim all the closed doors would be locked as well as any stores made there. Any traps including turrets would open fire on anyone or anything that gets in range.

I think Madmole suggested something like that a few years back but I can't remember when.

I like this idea. :)

So you want Dead is (almost)Dead?

Certainly.

In addition, if it is an customization option - it will not hurt anyone. Everyone's happy.

It would be a dream come true for me if they implement Dead is Dead. I play with the intention of never dieing once and once I do (very rare I ever die) I quit the server. If I remember correctly "Dead is Dead" game mode was once in 7D2D?...

No, that never happened.

Just, before the game was such that it is not particularly required.

upd:

there are many examples when people are already playing "Dead is Dead" despite the fact that there are no such mechanics in the game. This is an indication that this regime is appropriate and in demand.

In fact, we are only waiting for the developers to wake up.... or modders.

If all stats of the avatar are brought down to zero, this means he will be unavailable to bring back what he had, but just stare how the better players loot his base and destroy it. In PVP that could be huge inbalance. Developed players will just go loot poor dead fellas` bases, no poi will be interested for them at some point. Rotting could give time to the poor ex-dead player to bring back what he had without losing it completely.

Just thoughts btw.

Madmole very recently told about similar idea indeed. And obviously before, which means the future is good.

Well, who says that the dead is dead option needs to be a permanent setting that you do before you start the game?

How would you all feel about the option given upon death?

As it is now you get two options upon death, spawn on the bed or near the bed. What if the options were:

Dead is Dead - You will spawn in the same world at a random spot. All progress and claims in your previous life will be lost.

I Was Overrun - You will spawn in the same world randomly within xxxx blocks from your bed.

Bedtime - You will spawn in the same world back in the safety of your own bed, no monsters included(under the bed that is).

This way the choice can be made at death and it will be up to the player to decide if the death was a “valid” one or due to a game bug or other incidents outside the players control.

Well, who says that the dead is dead option needs to be a permanent setting that you do before you start the game?

As it is now you get two options upon death, spawn on the bed or near the bed. What if the options were:

Dead is Dead - You will spawn in the same world at a random spot. All progress and claims in your previous life will be lost.

I Was Overrun - You will spawn in the same world randomly within xxxx blocks from your bed.

Bedtime - You will spawn in the same world back in the safety of your own bed, no monsters included(under the bed that is).

This way the choice can be made at death and it will be up to the player to decide if the death was a “valid” one or due to a game bug or other incidents outside the players control.

Of course, can figure out how to implement all this.

And it doesn't even have to be one life.

For example, you can make some rules that the death was inevitable after certain failures...

...or, you can buy extra lives from experience points that would insure.

There would be a desire - it is certainly possible to realize it.

If all stats of the avatar are brought down to zero, this means he will be unavailable to bring back what he had, but just stare how the better players loot his base and destroy it. In PVP that could be huge inbalance. Developed players will just go loot poor dead fellas` bases, no poi will be interested for them at some point. Rotting could give time to the poor ex-dead player to bring back what he had without losing it completely.

Just thoughts btw.

Madmole very recently told about similar idea indeed. And obviously before, which means the future is good.

You lost me.

First if the player dies then the base is left open to attack anyway. Unless the player spawns in. But this is dead is dead. Everybody has to follow the same rules and lose everything (if) they choose to play like that. So even a really good player can die and lose everything. Might even die to a bunch of noobs. :)

Second, player loot has to come from some were and were will you go once all the bases are gone? To the POI's OFC.

Third, I don't understand why you think that the player has any chance at all of getting there loot back if the base rots so quickly. I mean it will be gone with no chance of getting the loot back. At least with the option I suggested, the player has a better chance of getting back to his base as a new avatar. Assuming that there base has not already been raided.

I am assuming that the new avatar will start with the basics just to get them started but spawning in some random location, far, far away. So if it rots quickly then it will be long gone by the time you get back.

That's probably the best solution. I've died to weirdness more than twice. Losing all your progress due to a glitch would really be rage inducing.

Of course, can figure out how to implement all this.

And it doesn't even have to be one life.

For example, you can make some rules that the death was inevitable after certain failures...

...or, you can buy extra lives from experience points that would insure.

There would be a desire - it is certainly possible to realize it.

Extra lifes ? This is not Super Mario.

Dead is Dead brings lot of opportunities for awesome gameplay, a huge amount of variables are possible. Bringing too many options to this mode will weak it a lot.

A rules for certain failures though, sounds good. The main idea of this mode is to be in constant alert of the environment and be sure that your abilities will bring you further. Not to be afraid of doing and avoiding stuff, just because you just had a minibike and wand to play safe.

You lost me.

Not so fast. You got good point.

What i mean was just some sort of variable situations, not sets of rules.

Played some PVP before (A14) and it was good that you know that its full of people around you that can kick your futt. That was the best feeling.

The ideas i wrote were about if I join in a PVP server at lets say 500+ day (should have added that in previous post) and be found by a bunch that I just can`t protect from. What are be gonna my chances I would wanna know for sure !

Dead is Dead brings lot of opportunities for awesome gameplay, a huge amount of variables are possible. Bringing too many options to this mode will weak it a lot.

A rules for certain failures though, sounds good. The main idea of this mode is to be in constant alert of the environment and be sure that your abilities will bring you further. Not to be afraid of doing and avoiding stuff, just because you just had a minibike and wand to play safe.

Why not? Buy life, like perks. Certainly - not low cost.

If points are given for killing zombies, then, finally, it will be reasonable to exterminate them.

In its pure form "Dead is Dead" - you do not like. Because of the problems that i described above.

Why not? Buy life, like perks. Certainly - not low cost.

If points are given for killing zombies, then, finally, it will be reasonable to exterminate them.

In its pure form "Dead is Dead" - you do not like. Because of the problems that i described above.

Umm, have several games on Dead is Dead mode from a14 till today, no matter what and when, no matter the bugs. It was thrilling and awesome. And for sure not the last one. Just wanna see a proper Dead is Dead mode (if implemented), without too many options that will make it easier.

Umm, have several games on Dead is Dead mode from a14 till today, no matter what and when, no matter the bugs. It was thrilling and awesome. And for sure not the last one. Just wanna see a proper Dead is Dead mode (if implemented), without too many options that will make it easier.

Of course. I'm well aware of that :) everything works fine (...almost ;))

Don't tell me about it - i've already tested similar things on my mod :)

A long time ago :)

This is the best mode for survival for me.

Just maybe you haven't met some problems because of your style of play.

Agreed. Right now there are too many deaths that feel unfair or cheap due to unpolished or buggy mechanics.

Agreed. Right now there are too many deaths that feel unfair or cheap due to unpolished or buggy mechanics.

Don`t compare the present state of the game with the future one. If this gets in, many things are gonna be polished, fixed and who know what.

In every aspect of the game where it can go more sim-like or more arcade-like there are going to be people that want it more one way or the other. The game already is like Super Mario in some aspects so it's no surprise that there are members of the player base who subscribe to that style of gameplay and will want it for other parts of the game.

Dead is Dead really means one thing. You lose your saved game and have to begin again from a fresh start. But, of course, there will be those who want to push it to a more arcade version by granting 3 lives or making it so you can still go reclaim your old base and loot.

People want the devs to change the game so we can flat out sprint backwards and fire accurately like this game is Serious Sam or something.

Even the devs, themselves, view different aspects of the game as being more fun if arcade-like rather than sim-like. So it's not really out of turn to ask for stuff that is reminiscent of Super Mario. You never know whether the devs will also feel that the game will be more fun if it works that way. Look at the parkour perk tree for some Mario-esque jumping abilities ;)

This isn't to say that arcade-like is all bad by any means. I think that the majority are happy with the arcadey way of handling encumbrance. Nobody really wants to go outright simulation on what we can actually carry. Right?

My Opinions Regarding "Dead is Dead" mode.

Single Player: Have The option to choose how many lives you get. 0-5 or something.

Multiplayer: If a server is running "Dead is Dead" mode and you do not like it. Join one that doesn't.

Problems solved? lol

- - - Updated - - -

:D

The Duke needs to stay alive.

I wanna see a mode where the best player in PVP become the Duke.

Dude hell yeah!!!! That might be the best idea I've heard yet. God I would love that to be a thing.

Archived