Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I can't stand games that try to do this. Don't tell me the mental state of my character, I will decide that in my role play. Its like forced role playing which nobody would enjoy. Its ok if your drunk, to have a visual, or sick but I don't want a character who's scared I'll just kill him myself he has no place in the apocalypse.

If the game scares the player great, but lets not pretend to scare the avatar.

The ONLY game ever...to get any insanity effects right was Eternal Darkness for the GameCube...amazing game , such an underrated and underplayed game because it was on that system...The insanity effects in it went from minor things , sounds , shadows etc , to full on wtf was that false death scenes of your player...

Sounds good unless you are in a group. So the one guy is dead but the others in the group kill the outsider but this one guy stuff starts going away and the base we built is just wrecked or at least the parts that the one who died pitched in on.

PVP is not GVP ;)

Cheers

Forgive me if this has already been asked and I just havent seen it.

Will all the paintable options be coming back as well as all the craftable items such as a working fridge, oven, the garage door that goes up and into the garage roof like a modern day garage door? Many of the other just creative/decorative blocks that have been vacant from A17.x?

Just want to say something.

I just watched Madmole's Alpha 18 perk overhaul video (

), and at least to me, I feel like everything mentioned so far really hits the spot for me. I really like where this is going.

I got the game a few years back and started with Alpha 14. It was nice, though I really enjoyed Alpha 15 in multiplayer together with friends.

Then A16 came, and somehow, I never really got into that. There was electricity, but when the zombies were running around in their new circles then, it just put me off, together with the new sleeper zombies, the wolves, the zombies falling through ceilings constantly and the regular hordes appearing next to your base.

Eventually, I got used to all that, but still couldn't enjoy that version, not even with the most annoying bugs fixed at that time. The whole thing to me felt like it was technically improved, but gameplay-wise worse somehow. To this day, I haven't even built a single electric system in 7 Days, just because it somehow seemed I just couldn't enjoy the newer Alphas as long.

When A17 was announced, I decided to wait for it before playing again. It all sounded just too spicy to me.

Then, Alpha 17 came out, and I was hyped and extremely disappointed at the same time. It all felt too similar to A16 to me: technically *much* improved, but gameplay-wise *much* worse than before.

Again, I just couldn't get into it, until I discovered various MODs to play with, which made the game bearable to me.

But now that I have seen the Alpha 18 changes, at least some of them, the whole thing suddenly feels "right" to me, and it hits my own taste EXACTLY. Actually, up until now I have *never* had that feeling with any survival game I have played, and I play quite a lot.

For the first time in years, I am actually really looking forward to playing 7 Days to Die once again.

The skill system changes look very fine (also that Infiltrator skill included), and for what it's worth, I really believe you guys are on the right track with the A18 version.

Will RWG be fixed?

MM has posted many screenshots and details about RWG, and it looks like it'll be a lot more than "fixed." If even half of what he said is true, it will be the best RWG so far.

But, RWG is mostly "fixed" already. It was heavily broken in all prior A17 versions, but A17.4 has finally gotten back to A16 levels.

At least mostly - the biome placement is still not spectacular, and there are "patches" at the borders between biomes, plus the POI variety isn't quite what it should be.

But compared to previous A17 versions, it's night and day. It's very much playable right now.

Despite the obvious crossover, the parent skill perk governs it, so in this case archery.

Have you ever thought of some skills that take more than 1 attribute?

Example:Healing Gangrene: Requirement: Perception lvl 2 + Intelligence lvl 6

Or something like that.

Good stuff. I'll be working in the Dallas office all week so I doubt I'll be doing any videos and my time here will be minimal.

Then let me just say, thanks for being so responsive here these last few weeks. It's been a pleasure reading every post of yours, and I hope at least some of our musings have been helpful.

Hello everyone new user here. I was wondering if you could add a way to record some of your gameplay and play it back on the tv or add some kinda of projector in the game. Maybe hold the E button and a list of footage or clips would show up. You know to kinda just reminisce or show off to friends or strangers.I saw it in this video and thought it would be pretty cool feature

I have been wondering if there are any plans to add new traps, with A17 removing spike logs creating a half decent spike pit was made impossible. The current spike traps leave much to be desired for base design and the main reasonable use for them is to make acres of them. Some suggestions I could come up with are angled barbed wire like you see on some fences, electrified fence, punji sticks and maybe fire sprayers. For me it's about having more options for base design.

I have been wondering if there are any plans to add new traps, with A17 removing spike logs creating a half decent spike pit was made impossible. The current spike traps leave much to be desired for base design and the main reasonable use for them is to make acres of them. Some suggestions I could come up with are angled barbed wire like you see on some fences, electrified fence, punji sticks and maybe fire sprayers. For me it's about having more options for base design.

I loved the spike logs but then again they didnt really make any sense. they were essentially bear traps that held them in place until you smacked or shot them. the spike pits were kind of cheesy because they couldnt really damage the spikes unless they blew up or broke their legs. fire damage would be more interesting if they "reacted" to it like flailing arms or thrashing around instead of just having the animation of being on fire and taking a small DoT.

Is something like community building planned in future(not in A18, but maybe one day)? like finding survivors, setting jobs, defending base, etc.

No. Unfortunately the current entity controllers are too expensive for these sorts of plans to ever appear in the base game, at least as it stands. Since the number of controllers the game can handle is pretty low, and controllers for survivors would detract from the pool available for zombies and bandits, I don't expect we'll ever see this, or, if ever we do, into some far distant post-Gold DLC.

Dead is dead would only delete the save and it just needs to be an option with the default being off. People would probably mostly use it when playing solo but could attempt it in MP games despite the awkwardness of it.

Another option would be to just respawn you in the same saved game but as a fresh level 1 character. Your changes to the world would remain. This already happens at times as a bug if the game crashes at the wrong time—so they just need to formalize it and make it a feature;)

I dont love most of your game ideas but I think having an option to have your character deleted on death but keep the world would be a great idea for a game mode option.

After death you should have the chance to pick a new character, or create one. Would be killer if we could pick starting skills or perks, think Project Zomboid.

I dont love most of your game ideas but I think having an option to have your character deleted on death but keep the world would be a great idea for a game mode option.

After death you should have the chance to pick a new character, or create one. Would be killer if we could pick starting skills or perks, think Project Zomboid.

This could be pretty cool actually. When you die you respawn randomly in the same world and you could get an option to spawn fresh or with a pack of skill points to which amount would depend on how far you got progressionwise with the previous character.

The map would be wiped of course so you wouldn’t retain waypoint or exploration.

There was also mention of the base and storage being randomly eroded and pillaged so if you found your way back there it wouldn’t be auto easy mode.

Roland summed up the current state pretty well, but as for the ideal? Perhaps something like this.

Day 12 - Evening

Today's radiation storm didn't let up before nightfall. I decided to stay up in the mountains in the hope that it will pass by morning.

It's freezing up here. The strong wind defeated my first attempt at making a fire to stay warm. Thank goodness I brought extra matches. I repositioned on the leeward side, and dug out a small alcove for myself in the dirt and snow. It's a meager shelter, but it blocks the wind and snow, and I have enough firewood that it will be bearable, at least for a night.

My thirst is sated after boiling plenty of snow, but food is becoming an issue now. There are definitely fish in the river nearby, but alas, I haven't found a hook anywhere. I had to risk harvesting some roadkill on the bridge instead (which I think was fresh enough to eat), even though a horde of zombies was wandering in.

I probably could have kept the meat and jumped in the river. But I can't risk re-injuring my leg, and I definitely can't stand the thought of getting pneumonia again. Just my luck none of these zombies would wear something waterproof. So I dropped the meat before the scent attracted their attention, and snuck away.

Now, even if I can't rest fully, I'll have to get up early and revisit that potato farm I noticed earlier. It's been a few days since I was there, so hopefully I can make it before the rabbits have picked it clean. Since I've got a lot of mining to do still before horde night, some protein would really be better. But at this point, I just want something in my belly.

The long-awaited first expansion

7 Days to Die - The Long Dark

Coming Spring 2021

(About a preview throwing arc)

Come on man, learn by doing. That crap isn't needed. Might as well add an auto aim while we're at it.

I play RUST and there is no crosshair. I can hit a deer at 100 yards with a bow after I've been playing regularly and got the arc and range down pat. It just takes practice, and it feels really rewarding to have mastered the physics through practice.

I wasn't talking about a bow though I was talking about thrown items like a molitov and grenade. There is nothing worst than spending all your early game resources on a small number of throwables, and waste a few of them trying to gauge the range.

You can watch youtube playthrough videos and you'll see it all the time... people throwing too far or too short because there is just no easy way to gauge the distance well. By your reasoning why even have a power bar for the toss? Learn to estimate the time you have the button held down by doing! You put it in for a reason, and that same reason is why the toss arc is used in SO many aaa games.

Just because one other gave does it poorly doesn't mean you should follow that model. AAA games that use it are the tomb raider series, the assassin's creed series, the uncharted series, fortnite, apex legends, almost all aaa titles use them.

You've said you want to entice and keep new players....at the LEAST add a book or perk that adds it for players who do want it.. because its not just something easy to mod in without support for it in the game, and millions of players expect that kind of mechanic polish in a game.

The idea of "dead is dead" is an interesting game feature, if it will be an option in the settings.

But in its simple form has a big problem - unnatural/accidental/senseless death or death as a consequence of a game bug.

This should be taken into account and thought through this regime more deeply.

Archived