Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes indeed, it absolutely is !!

Just yesterday I discussed it with my friend during playing, when we finally were able to craft them.

Suddenly you are not limited to the first place/town you explored, you go further. Trader quests become

more attractive.

Last but not least: No encumbrance heading for home, and extra cargo slots. Heaven in apocalypse.

Especially when you can sprint infinitely even with 0 stamina. 😂 If the mini bike only had 2 rows of storage space I might be enticed to use the bike instead lol...

Flat XP just scales poorly. You're most at risk of poor planning and not having food/water/meds at the early game, when its easiest to just jump off a building and come back at 100% and carry on with the smallest losses to xp that can be recovered after a few kills. Later game you're less likely needing to abuse death to clear bad things. Its more that random landmine you rode your bike over :crushed: or that demo guy you accidently set off

They just need to legitimately treat it as "near death". When you collapse show someone dragging you away instead of the zombies eating you. Then when you respawn you get the xp penalty AND you still have all your same conditions PLUS half your money is gone (he ain't a good samaritan after all). That way eating glass isn't a cure for anything.

Actual death should be the end of the game. Near death (which the penalty is actually called) shouldn't absolve you of hunger, health, broken legs, infection, etc.

Now does everyone regret me posting something?

So in terms of balance I learned how to make ♥♥♥♥ tons of dukes with ease. All you need to do is scrap a stack of raw iron and turn it into junk turret ammo and sell it. Junk turret ammo should probably have a sell price of 0 as it stands I can get 2000 dukes a ammo stack plus a little extra if you have the sell perks. As useful as this is it is broken as ♥♥♥♥.

You can sell a stack of lead for 2400, arguably easier than what you mentioned.

Madmole, I had a cool idea for the Cops.

What if their spit had a corrosive damage over time effect to anything metal(Armor, Guns, Bars)?

Players could no longer hid behind metal bars for the entire horde night and it would force them to Bob and weave the spit when their metal bars broke down.

Spit goes through the bars.

True, but scrap iron is only useful for a handful of items, most of them being scrap armor and mines. The only notable recipes that I can see are junk turret ammo, barbed wire fence, timed charges, and spotlights.

I think it's fine the way it is, but one would have to be crazy to sell lead over scrap iron. :p

Yeah he went into my basement about 3 hours ago.. haven't heard anything since. Should I worry?

Don't see rocks in your basement. I guess you keep them in the attic.

2015-06-11_23h21_59.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

They just need to legitimately treat it as "near death". When you collapse show someone dragging you away instead of the zombies eating you. Then when you respawn you get the xp penalty AND you still have all your same conditions PLUS half your money is gone (he ain't a good samaritan after all). That way eating glass isn't a cure for anything.

Actual death should be the end of the game. Near death (which the penalty is actually called) shouldn't absolve you of hunger, health, broken legs, infection, etc.

Yep. The only reason I play "dead is dead" is because I can't play a "almost dead guy" (injured, sick, etc...). It would be way more realistic and challenging.

Nope, you're probably missing 1-2 mats, but it thinks you can craft them (eg. you can craft 201 wood frames with 401 wood, even though you're missing 1 wood)

uh... no

I mean I go to make max arrowheads, it says 502, I hit craft, I still have 400 clay and 80 iron left in the forge. you have played long enough to know that it can still make more arrowheads

this has been my case since first a18 exp.

I like how it is now. Possible purchase at trader but at a high cost. Since the trader refreshes every 3 days, it forces the player to make some tough choices.

For example,

Do I spend the next 3 days making money to buy that one item?

Do I go mining/scavenging to prepare for my horde night?

The player needs to be put in more macro time management situations like these one which will add more depth into the game.

Yeah I love it. I had to sit and watch a glorious 4x4 and gyro go bye by as I knew I had too much work to do, to chase pipe dreams.

So I was talking to one of the guys I know who prefers to just drop a bedroll where he is when something bad happens and offs himself and his way of thinking was "why be slowed down for an hour with a broken leg if I dont have a splint, when I can kill myself and make more experience in that time than im going to lose from dying being slowed down" And to be honest even though it feels cheesy, hes kinda right.

So what if you shifted the experience loss into a debuff rather than a flat amount? Lose 10% XP for x amount of minutes, with time possibly scaled on character level to some extent. Then there's some incentive even at kinda lower levels to have to think "Do I eat glass and lose xp gains while going these next few POI's or do I stop and go find the way to correct my issue and go back with full xp gains? What's going to cost me more in the long run?"

We're raising it to 25% XP penalty for dying. That should curb his appetite for broken glass.

Thanks for the tip MM! :)

Edit: Btw I love the boat avatar. When you come in an reply to several posts back to back its like your riding in smacking everyone around then sailing off into the sunset with a grin until the next time around lol....

We're raising it to 25% XP penalty for dying. That should curb his appetite for broken glass.

Any word on that XP cap? I'm not complaining or anything, but if it takes 500k to get from level 80-81, then getting to level 300 is *almost* impossible, unless you play for months and months on end, and even then... :p

(If I were to vote on an XP cap (between levels), it would be 1 million XP at the highest.)

Yeah I love it. I had to sit and watch a glorious 4x4 and gyro go bye by as I knew I had too much work to do, to chase pipe dreams.

You must be glad no one saw it :p

For the last 3 days I managed to play dead is dead with 2 fellas, we tweaked days to 40 mins ingame day, bloodmoon every night, no mods, but on nightmare. It was mental. We did tll day 5. A limit that`s yet to be explored further by us and everyone of us.

We all thank you Pimps.

Any word on that XP cap? I'm not complaining or anything, but if it takes 500k to get from level 80-81, then getting to level 300 is *almost* impossible, unless you play for months and months on end, and even then... :p

(If I were to vote on an XP cap (between levels), it would be 1 million XP at the highest.)

you sure a17's xp cap was 21.4 million xp and that was fine im sure tfp staff will balance it

Honestly a lvl cap right now would do more hurt then good. Especially since balancing is still happening and there is a setting to adjust XP gain. Probably best to leave it the way it is until tight before gold.

MM I found a couple of typos in the "From the Shadows" perk. I also reported them in the bug reports section.

Typos in "From the Shadows" perk:

RANK 1 (Lurker) -----------> double point at the end of the paragraph (after "faster")

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30341[/ATTACH]

RANK 5 (Shadow Ninja) ---> Missing a "%" symbol after the first "50"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30340[/ATTACH]

Thanks I fixed those just now.

Thanks for the tip MM! :)

Edit: Btw I love the boat avatar. When you come in an reply to several posts back to back its like your riding in smacking everyone around then sailing off into the sunset with a grin until the next time around lol....

I read that boating avatar of his as confirmation of motorboat vehicles for a19. ;)

Maybe it's been mention but compressing the loading images (lossy format) to save a few MB's doesn't look too good as the text is harder to read in A18. Could you revisit this and look to improve legibility of text on load screen tips?

Those screens/tips will be gone soon. We'll load tips from localization and you can press space to read next tip, or something like that in the future.

I'd like some hardcore death options.

ONe of my favorite mods is Skyrim's Death alternative. You die and instead of loading a save game there is a random scenario. You can be captured by bandits, left for dead and they took your stuff, if an animal beat you, a thief comes along and takes a bunch of your valuables and you can track him down later, etc.

Archived