Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

A couple more balancing passes and I think you guys will be in that sweet spot. Must be a hell of a job trying to objectively review all this feedback when players have so many different settings to choose from. Thank you MM for your balancing efforts!

Its not that bad, I mainly listen for things I've experienced myself and if I see them enough we make adjustments, if I don't experience that problem I keep it in mind while I play and see if it comes up. Either way I've learned to not react too quickly and think it through if that change is really good for the game or not.

This was probably balanced for someone who doesnt leave their base or even their area but wanted everything they needed to make it to end game. This poi is almost comically OP and if you get a quest in it it is indeed end game city.

Maybe that was what it was intended as but seems silly to have all this balance in other areas and then this poi just laughs in the face of all of it.

It was built before those blue tarps dropped anything useful and were just decor.

Agreed, no one does indeed. I don't think I have ever crafted a single mine in this game, and I've been around since the pre-alpha. Too expensive for a one-use one-kill item.

You can kill a lot of Z's if used correctly. Try set up a tin can mine (not very expensive) and let a grenade or dynamite on the ground near it, then lead a big group of Z's to the mine (wandering horde per example).

Maybe you could find this boring, I find traps exciting!

That is awesome. I got outer worlds and it feels exactly like a Fallout game, and I'm sure I'll end up sinking loads of time into it, but tbh I play a bit, start thinking about my base needing this or that, and next thing you know I'm back into 7 days lol.

HAH, exact same here. Playing it via gamepass, but then A18 stable came out and it's just so hard to choose. Reminds me of a cross between fallout and the old knights of the old republic game they did with some firefly thrown in.

Mr. Mole.

Concerning this your last measures helped alot. But you may be right and it needs further adjustments.

As of Level 23 i got 3 Armor Parts of Steel (Q2,4 and 5) and also found several Guns Q4 and 5.

Q6 dropped so far once (Pistol)

I do medium amount of Loottours, i also spend a lot time building my Base and Hordebase. So a Player with Lootfocus might accomplish better Items even faster.

I would really appriciate if this Progression-curve (or how you call it) gets slowed down a bit further.

Let 'em fight for loot ^^

I think you got really lucky, lets keep hearing what people found and when.

Day 60 Horde, 3 year old gaming laptop. FPS did tank but it was still a ton of fun.

Those zeds looked pissed off st your shotgun turret. Your insane btw for doing s horde night with FPS that low lol...I would literally pull my hair out if I had to do that. 😂

I did the exact same thing! Though I have to admit, that game feels too linear and not enough open world to me (maybe cuz i havent gotten off edgewater yet), though i do like how they did the skills/perk system

I can't even lockpick to finish my quest. I have the mag lock, but I think my skill is too low. I'm not sure how to level to raise it if you stray too far the marauders are pretty tough. There are a lot of items but with fast health regen that it has, why bother? The lack of third person really sucks I like traveling in third and fight in first, or even melee in third sometimes. It seems like it could be a great game but it hasn't sucked me in yet. As much as people complain about Fallout 4, it sucked me in immediately at least and I enjoyed it quite a bit despite its lack of certain role play choices. But I'm usually slow to warm up to most games once I know what I'm doing I have more fun.

I think you got really lucky, lets keep hearing what people round and when.

Maybe. But my toon is lvl 30, with lucky looter 5 & the +12% looting glasses. Just found a tier 6 wrench and I think it is far to soon. Tier 6 Items should not drop before lvl 60-80 and than only with a 1% chance.

@madmole I'm gonna say it, the addition of more options for Blood Moon Frequency (1-10) is one of my favorite (new) additions to A18. :D I've just restarted my world to be 120 minute days, with a Blood Moon Frequency of 5 and a Blood Moon Range of 4. With less restrictions in regards to the frequency of blood moons, I can finally realize this style of gameplay. *Thumbs up*

(Spawned in a forest biome next to the desert. Trader Joels was 400 meters away from spawn, and in between him (400+ meters in either direction) are 2 massive, incredible towns. Cannot wait for the first night to pass so I can resume looting. :D)

@madmole I'm gonna say it, the addition of more options for Blood Moon Frequency (1-10) is one of my favorite (new) additions to A18. :D I've just restarted my world to be 120 minute days, with a Blood Moon Frequency of 5 and a Blood Moon Range of 4. With less restrictions in regards to the frequency of blood moons, I can finally realize this style of gameplay. *Thumbs up*

(Spawned in a forest biome next to the desert. Trader Joels was 400 meters away from spawn, and in between him (400+ meters in either direction) are 2 massive, incredible towns. Cannot wait for the first night to pass so I can resume looting. :D)

i can't stand the desert for a few reasons!

1: sand. i hate sand its rough , course and gets everywhere!

2: lack of clay

3: the lag i get while in there. sense A18 the snow and desert are nearly unliveable for me.

Oh I agree that they're still useful, the other effects they give are really nice to have. It's more so to address those that feel crafting is undervalued now, which too an extent I can understand. Yes you can only get a tier 6 by looting, so why would you bother trying to spec into a perk to build better stuff? The problem is I could go 50hrs into a game before I see one, and it might not even be something I use. It's ultimately down to rng and time, which is why I feel its mostly fine as is. However i'm not against giving an ever so slight buff to crafted items, or just further improving the loot drops like Madmole has suggested I believe.

While on the topic of those perks, the Machine Gunner's stamina bonus seems out of place does it not? Not saying it's a bad effect, just that I don't see how it makes sense to pair it with automatics. I'm not really running around when using one since they have pretty effective killing power. I can usually just stand in place/walk and not use any stamina while mowing down the zeds. Just me?

We already buffed the crap out of crafting and nerfed loot. No more adjustments will be made without a lot more feedback or testing time ourselves.

You wont be standing still when bandits are raining bullets on you. Sprinting in heavy armor costs stamina so its nice to play like quake, running and jumping costs a lot of stamina so you will want that perk to move quickly from cover point to cover point or to just close the distance and get to the guy hiding behind cover and spray lead into him.

Almost at day 10 of 10 min 24-hr cycles horde night spree! I don't think I'll last much longer through, I am down to scrapping engines/anything iron and I don't have enough but for like 20 more spikes. Have like 30 painkillers, 3 fortbites, plenty of coffee and beer, so I think after all my guns are tick-ticking and I've fired my last arrow, it's pure melee the horde time. Def excuse the graphics, I upped the horde count to whatever is after 16 (I forget) and between that and all the traps my fps tanked to about 29-32, and with it at this I'm back to 50~, so I'll take ugly and smooth lol.

Damn these hordes are getting intense! Had like 6 demos come through, and the first one I snapped to head shot him but my cursor went right to his explosive... oof haha.

Btw, how exactly is the sensitivity calculated? Because I've got my DPI on 800 exactly, and I know for a fact that 1.0 in 7Days is not at 800, more like 1600. The numbers in the settings seem so off. Kinda throws my other shooter games aiming off, because 7 days seems to be taking my sens ^2 lol

20191027030739_1.jpg.5f6486059342875bc0f645a3d6c59981.jpg

We already buffed the crap out of crafting and nerfed loot. No more adjustments will be made without a lot more feedback or testing time ourselves.

You wont be standing still when bandits are raining bullets on you. Sprinting in heavy armor costs stamina so its nice to play like quake, running and jumping costs a lot of stamina so you will want that perk to move quickly from cover point to cover point or to just close the distance and get to the guy hiding behind cover and spray lead into him.

i'll luring a horde to kill and turn them! :D

also will there be zombie bandits?

I just want to share my despair at day 18...

I left my base in the early morning to go to loot. I come back in the evening and discover two little bitches hitting the walls inside my base. I cut off their uggly little heads without warning and there ... I discover that they entered exactly through my storage boxes. Only one was destroyed, but obviously it is the most important: the one where I store all the basic elements to craft (mechanical parts, electric ones, springs, steel bars, etc ...) and, of course, my 60 000 tokens ...

The only weird thing was that I had gone very far, so the wandering zombies should have despawn. Or, they appeared when I entered into the chunk (my forges were running at full throttle).

I feel like I was raided on my solo game... Suddendly I'm no longer in a hurry to see bandits in game :D

Whatever it is, if it's a new feature, it's awesome and ... awful.

24FCB07E8A890F3EC6080FC5FEDC3B3C318C489A

Which is why I build on a 4 meter tower or stick my boxes on the ceiling if its a ground level base.

Just died on day 25 permadeath insane/always nightmare, got caught out on a random blood moon couldn't get into battle area quick enough. What a ride. A18 has come a long way:

* Early game survival feels so good, no stack of food and medical supplies, no huge farm.

* Whoever thought of random blood moon is a genius. 7 days bit too long for me, I find Frequency every day but range of 4 is a nice sweet spot, blood moon is always a constant threat now, can easily get caught out during quests/mining.

* Loot and general balance feels good now. Character didn't feel strong till day20. Transition into mid game questing hard earning money and upgrading my base feels good, I'm not constantly wanting to kill for xp.

* I got a random screamer on day 1 and 3, I hope this isn't a bug. Totally unexpected when I was looting poi, I totally stopped and gtfo. Please don't remove random screamer spawns!

* Never gotten dysentery since a18exp and food poisoning is easy to deal with, no idea what ppl are complaining about.

* Slowly coming round to the attribute trees, not 100% on board I prefer the old open skills, we were able to mix and match freely, but I'm having fun.

* Real glad trader sells vehicles now.

* Stun baton is awesome.

* Outer Worlds is walking by and I don't even care. Bring on A19.

Minor points:

- The red dots on compass during quests kinda give the game away, hope we can have option to disable somehow.

- Iron hatch is really hard to tell which way it opens.

** (puts on mining helmet and heavy armor, runs behind row of blade traps)

So when's lbd making a come back?

:D

Awesome review. Even better from a LBD supporter. Says alot about A18. 😎👍

Edit: I agree 1000% about the iron hatch. @MM can u add a hinge to the graphic just like the wooden one? This would help a ton regarding placement.

Which is why I build on a 4 meter tower or stick my boxes on the ceiling if its a ground level base.

Just for information, this is the first time, after hundreds of bases, that I didn't build a foundation of 3 blocks ... I said to myself "Hell no, this time, I'm going to do something simple!"

I should not think.

Speaking of screamers who arrive regularly, I really think it should be our daily life. It's a permanent pressure and it compensates for the lack of zombies that some complain about.

Horde night 63 went fine, minimal repairs to horde base. Finished up that game with a perfect gyro landing on the shamway tower to see what loot was up there.

BTW, when did shamway go from food production to concrete production? Shouldn't that be a Rock-Mor or something? After going through it completely by myself, while I love the t 5 pois, the tier 3 and 4 are more attractive single player.

I know madmole said no more t5 pois, but I wouldn't mind seeing one more for variety's sake, and then more lower tier, expecially wilderness.. wilderness pois almost seem missing.

On to a new game! BTW, I'm not going with any specific build types.. I'm just investing in points based on what progress I want (like needing vehicles) and investing based on what loot I can aquire... if I find an early good slede, I'll invest perks in that until I find somthing else I'd like to tinker with.

Just for information, this is the first time, after hundreds of bases, that I didn't build a foundation of 3 blocks ... I said to myself "Hell no, this time, I'm going to do something simple!"

I should not think.

Speaking of screamers who arrive regularly, I really think it should be our daily life. It's a permanent pressure and it compensates for the lack of zombies that some complain about.

yeah i started a new game and i made a base on a bridge in Navezgane and i uses torches for light and i get 3 screamer a day!

Our new mp game is only on day 12, so most of my feedback of course has been on the entire a18 experience. Both my longer games are from thje ealier builds.

Aew you still playing leap frog ahead of us on versions, or are you playing on the public experiemental releases? If you are ahead of us, that could be why we are seeing different experiences.

(BTW, I've get to see any minibike parts in loot. I have seen parts from all the other vehicles.)

I'll do my 63 horde night from last week or so's start, and start up a new sp game after that.

(And I was really looking forward to exploring that world geared up.!)

BTW, is it by design that the 4x4 is a lot slower than the motorcycle? It feels like a huge motorbike.

Ok so talking about anything prior to the latest version is a waste of time, make sure you are using a new character on the latest build before offering feedback on balance or designs.

Loot is even, random is random.

The 4x4 is a little slower but uses a lot of gas.

Awesome review. Even better from a LBD supporter. Says alot about A18. 😎👍

Edit: I agree 1000% about the iron hatch. @MM can u add a hinge to the graphic just like the wooden one? This would help a ton regarding placement.

placing the iron hatch is the worst, instead of updating it's graphic though they could just say have it be set open when you go to place it instead of closed so you could see how it opens

Archived