Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I really wish rank 5 of the penetrator perk unlocked crafting of 7.62 AP ammo. The whole perception build centers around using the sniper rifle in conjunction with the penetrator perk to pierce multiple zombies. But, that is all dependent on RNG and finding the book to unlock AP ammo crafting. And who the hell knows when I'll find that. I'm on day 20 with 5/5 lucky looter and loot bonus goggles and no luck so far.

That is a fair point but so far no book and perk overlap duties. We'd have to replace that book with something else and make an AP ammo schematic.

Regarding this POI - it has the heavy duty vault doors. These cannot be unlocked with a lock pick. Will max skill in lock picking allow these to be picked (descriptions suggest not) or is it the intention they be breached with timed charges?

(Yes you can bang on them with a pick ax for an hour, but meh.)

No doors can be lockpicked yet. We are considering it.

MM

This is re: B155

Day 16sp Nomad Gamma 19 Snow/Burnt Biome

Lv 22 Gs40 kills604 Deaths2 by ninja dogs.

Average tier used 2, and one 3 iron spear.

I slowed the pace a lot 3 days passed by

removing my torches for now.

Are the biome spawners now associated with gamestage?

I ask because i like night fighting and hunting by torch

light. As of 2 game days passed, I now get feral hordes

and Zombie cops. This is not a complaint, I actually like

it. If its unintentional I now have a modding idea, If it

is intentional thumbs up.

The only odd thing happening is I have a constant recurring

combo snow-rain storm that lowers visibility to approx 100

meters. It only happens when I return to this area. I don't

really mind I look at it like the fog of war from 7 come 11.

If outdoor occlusion could be made to use this obscuring it

would lower draw calls a lot.

Either way still hunting everything i can find.

In all games people fall over each others feet to get damage or special effect boni on their weapon (not only shooter but also RPGs, strategy games...). But here you look at weapons you normally shouldn't even see before end game and ask "why bother?". Play the game with your main weapons at perk level 1 and tell me if you still have ammo left in the middle of the fourth horde night and you didn't die twice as often.

Another mod slot isn't an ever so slight buff. At the moment quality6 is labeled temporarily "legendary" because of this one additional mod slot. All the other attributes of a q6 weapon will often be equal or worse than the q5 you have by then because you might find and build a lot more q5.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but your post feels like its directed at me. If it was let me clear something up. I feel the system is in a pretty good spot atm. I was just attempting to put myself in the mindset of the people who don't think crafting is worthwhile. I do believe its worth crafting, because like I mentioned in that post, if you don't you'll be running around with low tier gear for a long time. My current playthrough is twenty days in (90 minute days) and i'm still using most of the gear I crafted.

I have zero T6 gear in my current playthrough, and only found a handful in my last session that I don't remember the stats on. So maybe you're right about the stats being essentially the same as T5. The point was moreso that if the devs did want to make a change to please the other side, that it should be only a minor difference. I just chose mods as a quick example, but I also have only ever cared for a couple of specific mods for each piece of gear. For me an extra slot wouldn't be that big of a deal. An example would be for armor and tools, I only care for the pockets, helmet light, and the ones that increase block damage. This will change if mods are updated/more are added later (if that happens).

Ok so talking about anything prior to the latest version is a waste of time, make sure you are using a new character on the latest build before offering feedback on balance or designs.

Loot is even, random is random.

The 4x4 is a little slower but uses a lot of gas.

The one potential issue I see with trader is the quest rewards. They feel really OP, especially with the consumables. Getting 15 first aid bandages for 1 quest that took me 10 minutes to do is insane. At least for the Tier 1-3 quests it almost feels if the quantity should be toned down or if possible tied into the loot percentage on the server.

Right now the trader quests and vending machines are what is keeping us alive. So much food and consumables available. If the trader rewards and vending machines both operated on server loot percentages that would be nice.

Mr. Mole.

Concerning this your last measures helped alot. But you may be right and it needs further adjustments.

As of Level 23 i got 3 Armor Parts of Steel (Q2,4 and 5) and also found several Guns Q4 and 5.

Q6 dropped so far once (Pistol)

I do medium amount of Loottours, i also spend a lot time building my Base and Hordebase. So a Player with Lootfocus might accomplish better Items even faster.

I would really appriciate if this Progression-curve (or how you call it) gets slowed down a bit further.

Let 'em fight for loot ^^

Or alternatively, recognize that a lot of people are saying "this is the best alpha yet", and just improve upon the system, perhaps with a degradation system for balance...

Or maybe add some zombies so that the items are harder to get.

We already buffed the crap out of crafting and nerfed loot. No more adjustments will be made without a lot more feedback or testing time ourselves.

You wont be standing still when bandits are raining bullets on you. Sprinting in heavy armor costs stamina so its nice to play like quake, running and jumping costs a lot of stamina so you will want that perk to move quickly from cover point to cover point or to just close the distance and get to the guy hiding behind cover and spray lead into him.

I forgot all about bandits, they will definitely change up how I currently view some skills and play styles. I willing to bet they will make stealth much more useful too, which I would really love to see. I have so many questions I want to ask, but I wont pester ya'll until bandits are much closer to release.

I think the design is fine, balance could be off yet on some drops. Having steel by day 21? What will you do from day 21 to day 100? IMO you shouldn't even sniff t3 until level 40+ and around level 60 start getting a decent amount of it but it should be a mix of brown to green mostly, once level 80 maybe have a few purples and blues and one straggler green. I'm level 35 with no steel armor and one brown steel shovel. Feels fine to me.

And again we see the issue is multi-player. We've had steel since before Day 14 and are crafting Tier 3 blue firearms/bows currently. Now, we're also doing 120-minute days, but we're all right around level 30-40. So back to crafting top-end Tier 3 ranged weapons, when I can't even find more than a single brown steel pickaxe.

REALLY wish you'd look in on a couple of multiplayer groups and see what they're looking like right now, if playing one one for a few weeks isn't an option.

Yeah, example: I wasn't very convinced about zombies not dropping loot every single time.

Now I love it, it's pretty cool being able to snipe zombies from 150m and knowing that if there is no yellow bag there is no loot. Before, it was really hard to NOT loot every zombie, it always felt like you had a chance to find some great loot on one of the 10 zeds you just killed.

It was a chore, just like cleaning up gore blocks was.

@MM and Crew,

Great work, I do not get as much time as I wish to play, but when I do it is awesome, and always being purposeful in my thoughts about the game when not playing.

Question though,

Learning Exp, as designed, or bug: Finished my BM horde at about 12a, then nothing ...son woke up had to log off at 330a, when I logged b ack in the horde showed back up again, and ate my lunch...

The previous horde beat my base defenses down, and I was out of Shotty ammo, and only had a 9m and spear.

In regards to loot, currently I am not finding anything I want, but stuff I can use. :)

Semper Fi

And again we see the issue is multi-player. We've had steel since before Day 14 and are crafting Tier 3 blue firearms/bows currently. Now, we're also doing 120-minute days, but we're all right around level 30-40. So back to crafting top-end Tier 3 ranged weapons, when I can't even find more than a single brown steel pickaxe.

REALLY wish you'd look in on a couple of multiplayer groups and see what they're looking like right now, if playing one one for a few weeks isn't an option.

The fact is that settings and adjustments on a server have to be done by the administrator. You can't have a balanced solo with rules that also apply to multi. Admins must be able to edit some xml files to make the gaming experience consistent, based on the number of players and their level, the choice of PVE or PVP.

Also a well organized group of players is going to be far more effective then solo. I mean just the time management aspect of it, with 2-3 people gathering, 1-2 building, etc.

Heck last night we had 4-5 of us running quests togethor. We'd all take one, hit them up and then return and get 4-5 different rewards at a time. Was super effective and a lot of fun and got a ton of loot and meds.

Maybe. But my toon is lvl 30, with lucky looter 5 & the +12% looting glasses. Just found a tier 6 wrench and I think it is far to soon. Tier 6 Items should not drop before lvl 60-80 and than only with a 1% chance.

Nobody would ever see them then IMO.

@madmole I'm gonna say it, the addition of more options for Blood Moon Frequency (1-10) is one of my favorite (new) additions to A18. :D I've just restarted my world to be 120 minute days, with a Blood Moon Frequency of 5 and a Blood Moon Range of 4. With less restrictions in regards to the frequency of blood moons, I can finally realize this style of gameplay. *Thumbs up*

(Spawned in a forest biome next to the desert. Trader Joels was 400 meters away from spawn, and in between him (400+ meters in either direction) are 2 massive, incredible towns. Cannot wait for the first night to pass so I can resume looting. :D)

I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it would play like "get base and ammo first", THEN you get the privilege of looting.

Heck last night we had 4-5 of us running quests togethor. We'd all take one, hit them up and then return and get 4-5 different rewards at a time. Was super effective and a lot of fun and got a ton of loot and meds.

We'll each take a buried quest...share it, then each of us finds our own....now the others can come by when they can and get the shared ones. No range requirement for buried quests

@madmole You can use all soil types from the CM only that they almost all look like forest soil. If they are smashed, they disintegrate accordingly. for example: Snow looks like forest floor. If you destroy that you get snowballs.

It works how its supposed to work if you stay out of the CM.

Just for information, this is the first time, after hundreds of bases, that I didn't build a foundation of 3 blocks ... I said to myself "Hell no, this time, I'm going to do something simple!"

I should not think.

Speaking of screamers who arrive regularly, I really think it should be our daily life. It's a permanent pressure and it compensates for the lack of zombies that some complain about.

Which is why the random event system will be awesome.

Horde night 63 went fine, minimal repairs to horde base. Finished up that game with a perfect gyro landing on the shamway tower to see what loot was up there.

BTW, when did shamway go from food production to concrete production? Shouldn't that be a Rock-Mor or something? After going through it completely by myself, while I love the t 5 pois, the tier 3 and 4 are more attractive single player.

I know madmole said no more t5 pois, but I wouldn't mind seeing one more for variety's sake, and then more lower tier, expecially wilderness.. wilderness pois almost seem missing.

On to a new game! BTW, I'm not going with any specific build types.. I'm just investing in points based on what progress I want (like needing vehicles) and investing based on what loot I can aquire... if I find an early good slede, I'll invest perks in that until I find somthing else I'd like to tinker with.

I didn't say no more T5's, I said personally I'd like to see more T3's, and I want it to not repeat the same POI until I've cleared every damn T3 on the whole map. I don't care if its 10 miles away, if I want a T3, I have to go there.

I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it would play like "get base and ammo first", THEN you get the privilege of looting.

In Summary: Loot during the afternoons for canned food (to keep up you stamina meter during evening and nighttime resource gathering) and ammo, base building. Post first horde, then you can relax more. I've also turned off the Blood Moon Warning.

I've adoring this playthrough style so far. There's nothing like good old vanilla, but in this gamemode (blood moon frequency set to 4-5, blood moon range set to 4-5, and no blood moon warning), the game is in control of how well or how awful you do. You could be dealt horrible hand after horrible hand and be scrounging for time and ammo in between frequent hordes, or the game could give you a playthrough full of long breaks between blood moons, or everywhere in between. The lack of that feeling of power, where the game dictates how well you do (to a greater level) is intriguing to me, and I'm glad I'm able to finally try it "fairly" (and not just be restricted to blood moon frequency: 3).

I didn't say no more T5's, I said personally I'd like to see more T3's, and I want it to not repeat the same POI until I've cleared every damn T3 on the whole map. I don't care if its 10 miles away, if I want a T3, I have to go there.

Make it happen! And if you cant, go flex those big guns of yours at whoever can and make them make it happen!

Archived