Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

well i really don't know how rads work but that was my best guess

With radiation, it would depend on how long ago the nukes dropped. With growing crops, Cesium is probably the worst.

Cesium-137 is dangerous because plant roots absorb it and then people could eat the plant products. If more than 30 years, it would lose half its radiation. Unfortunately, it could take over 100 years for the Cs-137 to filter down a foot in the soil!

My theory, is America tried to nuke the infected areas as a last resort of self preservation. "Better to lose a little than lose it all".

If Russia and the US did a full nuclear exchange of weapons... The game would have been called "7 Days to.. oops your dead already!" :D

Yesterday is the key word. That crap is fixed. People need to earn their farms one gore pile, vulture or zombie dog at a time.

To clarify, oh Moliest of Madmoles... farm plots will no longer exist in the next Experimental update?

I'm a tad ambivalent about that personally. It does make food too easy... on single player. On multi-player with 5-7 folks doing co-op, it's about the only thing keeping us from being stuck at Level 10 from starvation. Even then it's been pushing our luck.

Iron Gut perk has actually got a lot going for it along with decreasing your chance of getting food poisoning

I still will never buy it, I like the risk of vomiting and worrying about food and drink just a tad bit. My play style puts 1000's of meat in the box, so I'm enjoying it.

Hello @Mad Mole,

Something is broken. I'm playing on a crowded server, and this happened to me when I reached level 3x and rank 5 of Lucky Looter, I've never could have better loot, only Grey/level 1 quality items, from Safes and Reinforced Chests any more.

I also tested on single play by running some commands to reach high level and level 5 of Lucky Looter, and same result of course.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29544[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29545[/ATTACH]

Are you saying at a certain rank of lucky looter you only saw pink items or only saw brown/grey items?

Hello all, just finished an epic 9 hour a18 session with a friend. We are both having a blast. He is new player this alpha. QUESTION? How does the tracking perk work? Anyone have success? Thanks in advance. In FP we trust!

Crouch and look at your compass for an animal icon. If you don't see one, travel a bit, and repeat the process.

If he agrees with you that he's wrong when you say he's wrong then you are both wrong, so LOGICALLY he cannot be wrong simply because you say he is... there must be another reason.

(Did I change your mind?)

Oh, and it's you're, not your..... so You're wrong.

BLASPHIMY!!!! Lol...well played sir

Okay, so are we finally past the "wow and wonderment look at a18 and how pretty it is" stage to talk about some glaring issues?

...it's boring.

I'm enjoying it, but some play mechanics are really changed. Because of all the loot drops and plentiful ammo, stealth is out the window. I go in guns blazing and clear out a poi in minutes. I know I'll find a crap load of ammo, so thats no issue. Why bother with stealth when you have every gun under the sun and hundreds of bullets and your trust junk turret by your side? I don;t even stop at night.... they simply don;t have a chance.

While we can craft, crafting is such later game now I use it very infrequently. I've already found a ton of ammo, so I don;t need to make that. I've looted tons of clothing and armor, so I don't need to make that.

The only crafting up to day 35 so far is vehicles, base blocks, and eggs and bacon... any other food crafting just gives me food poisoning anyway.

I could turn down loot abundance, but thats how you get all the best stuff now.

I'm enjoying the game, but I think the loot balance went a bit overboard, nerfing the need to craft almost anything.

The loot reward for all those schematics is kind of nerfed because you've already fund 5 or 6 of everything by day 30, and you KNOW you can't craft better than what you can find. All my tools were loot, so there was no need to craft any of them.

Something I thought of.. could mods also have random stats on them as well? That would make finding duplicates more rewarding, because you might have better stat improvements on mods. (brighter or dimmer helmet light, better or worst chance of catching fire with burning shaft, that sort of thing.)

Crafting is what I used to do overnight for the coming day. Now I just mine or organize storage.

Looting is attractive and big with the casual gamers, but I think a better balance needs to be struck between what we can find, and what we need to craft. If you hand us everything in loot, then we don't even need crafting in the game, which removes a LOT of playability and diversity to the gameplay.

I'm enjoying it, but some play mechanics are really changed. Because of all the loot drops and plentiful ammo, stealth is out the window. I go in guns blazing and clear out a poi in minutes. I know I'll find a crap load of ammo, so thats no issue. Why bother with stealth when you have every gun under the sun and hundreds of bullets and your trust junk turret by your side? I don;t even stop at night.... they simply don;t have a chance.

While we can craft, crafting is such later game now I use it very infrequently. I've already found a ton of ammo, so I don;t need to make that. I've looted tons of clothing and armor, so I don't need to make that.

The only crafting up to day 35 so far is vehicles, base blocks, and eggs and bacon... any other food crafting just gives me food poisoning anyway.

I could turn down loot abundance, but thats how you get all the best stuff now.

I'm enjoying the game, but I think the loot balance went a bit overboard, nerfing the need to craft almost anything.

The loot reward for all those schematics is kind of nerfed because you've already fund 5 or 6 of everything by day 30, and you KNOW you can't craft better than what you can find. All my tools were loot, so there was no need to craft any of them.

Something I thought of.. could mods also have random stats on them as well? That would make finding duplicates more rewarding, because you might have better stat improvements on mods. (brighter or dimmer helmet light, better or worst chance of catching fire with burning shaft, that sort of thing.)

Crafting is what I used to do overnight for the coming day. Now I just mine or organize storage.

Looting is attractive and big with the casual gamers, but I think a better balance needs to be struck between what we can find, and what we need to craft. If you hand us everything in loot, then we don't even need crafting in the game, which removes a LOT of playability and diversity to the gameplay.

Should check out this suggestion I did for exactly that reason - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?128416-Tie-in-repairs-of-items-to-crafting-skills

Way to tie in crafting into looting, and to prevent the issue that once you find a piece of good gear you have it forevor.

I doubt the players will switch to higher tier food.

After all, they need a garden and have to find the recipes for the food or spend skill points on Living of the Land and Master Chef.

It is more likely for me that the players will simply buy all the canned food they can get from the vending machines.

Na, dukes are precious food is the last thing I'll buy unless I'm desperate. I just find the schematics and start gardens with rotten flesh I get. The t1 dig quests drop a food schematic every time so early game I do these then I start a garden with seeds I find and eventually I have stews and fish tacos and stuff. I save my dukes for vehicles, books mods and schematics, and sometimes I buy concrete mix, cement and a pink weapon or tool.

its pretty

needs a bit of tweaking <no snowdog, not twerking>

wilderness and towns feel like ghost towns

day 1 cleared out working stiffs poi rather easily with a spear and a bow. found a junk turret in the parking lot.

at night I find the occasional feral zed, but still able to dig and build at night WITHOUT much fear. granted, I am not at a high gs yet, but still, too empty

My feedback would be that Living off the Land, Master Chef, and Iron Gut were all in the same perk tree.

I would also put Animal Tracker and The Huntsman in a tree together as well or combine them into one perk.

That would be OP IMO. Maybe your last suggestion wouldn't be bad, but its fine as is. I never buy the huntsman because I play solo so I'm swimming in meat, that perk is for unlucky players and mp server players.

If you think the death penalty isn’t harsh enough, you haven’t played a long enough game yet. Very few of us could have possibly gotten that far yet.

It stings a bit at level 80 I will have to say, but we had 20% or so then I think. Still sucks because it takes 3 hours or a horde to level at that point.

Can the AF be a slider / option in GPU options ?

I hate to think that this game gets its graphical finesse castrated, it took a long time to get looking this good in the first place.

Unless you mean it be part of the texture selector ?

AF is a setting on each texture. I think most in the game are set to 16. If a player is trying to run 1/8 or 1/4 texture quality, then they probably don't need AF 16. Especially on those terrain texture arrays.

I have a question about food...

1. Crafted high qualify food (Stew, etc) has a change of food poisoning. why? I know food spoils but I just made it.

2. if food I make can spoil, when will I be able to can food since that does not spoil?

PS: if I made food at home and it spoiled right away no one would eat! :)

Its not spoiled, its contaminated.

Archived