7 Days to Die Goals and Stretch Goals

Roland

After gold

The pimps are talking of the 2019 being the last year for content adds and then a year or 2 of beta/bug fixes. Seems logical and agree with what I am hearing from Roland. The game seems mostly feature complete to me. Sure, there is few things we all want to see added but mostly the game is very playable.

So the question for the pimps is what is next after gold?

DLC for 7D2D?

New game?

This was discussed/critizised here many many times. Because of the heavy FPS toll of zombie NPCs in Unity TFP can't go for massive amounts of zombies so they had to adopt "quality" (more HP and damage per individual zombie) over quantity. This limitation is even more important now in A17. There are recent ideas floating around that might help here:

1) zombies without detailed limb movement simulation which is built in and provided by Unity, something Fataal is thinking about trying out (if he can find the time). (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?87756-The-Official-A17-Developer-s-Diary-for-Developers&p=925382&viewfull=1#post925382 and https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?87756-The-Official-A17-Developer-s-Diary-for-Developers&p=939036&viewfull=1#post939036)

2) having a group of zombies simulated was proposed by a player (https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?106083-A-suggestion-to-solve-the-BIG-problem). You might be interested in reading this thread even thought the idea is very unlikely to get implemented because it needs a lot of new code just to reach a state to assess its viability. And that runs counter to their plans to transit into beta slowly.

I'm not sure that's the reason. A16 Scavengers of the Living Dead overhaul mod adds in LOTS of weak zombies and way more zombie models than the vanilla game. Runs fine for me.

I was going to offer up John St.John's phone number to the pimps for voice acting, but its not me who has it and I don't want to put my brother in that position.

Hes got a lot of phone numbers for voice actors and musical acts from his time in guest relations at Midwest media expo and Youmacon .

But even if I was willing to ask him, I doubt he'd be willing to give them out ,they aren't for personal favors and there's that whole trust thing.

It's also been a few years , so the numbers might not even be valid anymore .

Come to think of it, considering that iv'e done nothing more than brag on my brothers behalf , I'm not sure why I'm still typing this .

The developers have recently stated that they plan to stick closely to this list so they can finish the game this year (2019).

So, this game will be done and in full release state in 10 months or less? I just want to be clear on that line. Finished and released by 12/31/19. Because, unless y'all hired an executive producer that can lay down edicts and smite scope creep, I think this is a highly aggressive date.

So, this game will be done and in full release state in 10 months or less? I just want to be clear on that line. Finished and released by 12/31/19. Because, unless y'all hired an executive producer that can lay down edicts and smite scope creep, I think this is a highly aggressive date.

Yeah, at the current rate and scope, there is at least 20 months left of development. They can shorten it up by a couple of months if they do less quest content and less depth when all the important features are finished ( 10 months- 1 year for know). This is pure speculation of course, but a pretty healthy one based on the difficulty of the project, which is titanic.

I'm not sure that's the reason. A16 Scavengers of the Living Dead overhaul mod adds in LOTS of weak zombies and way more zombie models than the vanilla game. Runs fine for me.

TFP have to tune the game limits to the minimum spec platform they want to support. Do you have such a PC? Did you play with 8 players in your world and consequently 8 times as much zombies as a single player would see?

PS: Here are the minimum specs:

Processor: 2.4 Ghz Dual Core CPU

Memory: 6 GB RAM

Graphics: 1 GB Dedicated Memory

DirectX: Version 10

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Storage: 4 GB available space

If their top priority was to be done at that date I'm sure one of the owners could lay down edicts himself. BUT I don't think that is their top priority. Consequently they won't be finished by 12/31/19. :fat:

It doesn’t mention plains biome coming back and it isn’t a cruel joke. Plains biome was implemented but then ultimately cut. Not all goals in the original list will ultimately pan out. When that happens it is unfortunate but it is not any kind of malicious attack against players by the developers.

It doesn’t mention plains biome coming back and it isn’t a cruel joke. Plains biome was implemented but then ultimately cut. Not all goals in the original list will ultimately pan out. When that happens it is unfortunate but it is not any kind of malicious attack against players by the developers.

My apologies, you linked me to this thread under the guise of what was actually being implemented.

My apologies, you linked me to this thread under the guise of what was actually being implemented.

To be fair, they're called "goals". If you read this as "what's already been implemented", then ayup, you've definitely misread the thread title, and the Kickstarter page.

I reckon it's more likely than not, that when the game goes Gold, there'll be at least one goal that wasn't achieved. I'd bet money on that. Hopefully, it just won't be one I cared about - hehe.

To be fair, they're called "goals". If you read this as "what's already been implemented", then ayup, you've definitely misread the thread title, and the Kickstarter page.

I reckon it's more likely than not, that when the game goes Gold, there'll be at least one goal that wasn't achieved. I'd bet money on that. Hopefully, it just won't be one I cared about - hehe.

Roland linked this thread in another thread saying it was what they were working on implementing. Looking back it was badly advertised.

Roland linked this thread in another thread saying it was what they were working on implementing. Looking back it was badly advertised.

Well, somewhat splitting hairs I guess, but until it's actually in the game and working, I consider it (especially for small indie studios) an "aspiration" which will likely, but not certainly get fulfilled.

A number of the EA titles I've bought into have ended up a 1.0 with some modifications to their original goals.

Apology accepted but there was no guise. This is the list of goals that they are working towards. Plains biome was implemented and you can play in the plains biome if you revert to earlier alpha versions. Sometimes (in any creative endeavor) aspects get cut because the creator feels it will be better overall for the project. It's normal though always sad. (Think about how Matthew Fox felt about WWZ...)

This list IS what they are working on implementing. You may not have realized that the list was composed back in 2013. So many of those listed goals have already been achieved which means they wouldn't currently be working on those and some of those items were achieved but then scrapped so they wouldn't currently be working on those. Some of those things are still yet to come and so those are the things they are working on or plan to work on in the near future to finish up the game.

The plains biome that you mentioned was implemented but then subsequently cut from the game. Hence, they are not working on bringing back the plains biome as you asked.

If you have any questions about features on the list I'll be happy to clarify whether it is done or still to come or scrapped.

Before you ask, however, the 5x5 crafting grid is also NOT being reimplemented....

Well, somewhat splitting hairs I guess, but until it's actually in the game and working, I consider it (especially for small indie studios) an "aspiration" which will likely, but not certainly get fulfilled.

A number of the EA titles I've bought into have ended up a 1.0 with some modifications to their original goals.

One modification to 7 Days to Die goals was that smooth terrain and RWG weren't originally going to be implemented until AFTER the game went gold. But they shifted their priorities around and brought them in much earlier. Something to think about for those who complain that RWG is momentarily out of order....

One modification to 7 Days to Die goals was that smooth terrain and RWG weren't originally going to be implemented until AFTER the game went gold. But they shifted their priorities around and brought them in much earlier. Something to think about for those who complain that RWG is momentarily out of order....

Very true that - and that was a massive gain. Even though I'm normally not much interested in graphics, doing away with pure cubic blocks simply boosted the immersion factor enormously.

I'm all in favour of a game developing in ways that don't necessarily match Kickstarter goal spreadsheets, especially if I get a better game out of it. :-)

• 9 months later...
  • Roland pinned this topic
  • Roland unpinned this topic

Archived