Things you'd like to see in A17.1?

Scyris

1) Zombie AI tweaks:

a) less random jumping about for no apparent reason.

b) not jumping when they should, aka bashing through POI porches instead of using the stairs right in front of them,

c) not digging down through a floor when they can just walk around to the stairs. (houses, the ranger house in particular)

2) Option to just turn OFF digging. It's still messed up. Sorry guys, but it is.

3) RWG fixes. Yes, we know it hasn't gotten the love yet, but it really, really needs it. More traders on a 16k map. It IS generating 5 per map and that is it. No more, no less. Better than when it wasn't generating ANY though.

There is something really wrong with the country road generation in RWG right now. It takes about half the gen time on a 16k map, and it's just.. weird. Huge swaths where there is absolutely nothing, parts of roads that go nowhere, many spurs off the main interstates, and of course, town generation is also messed when it comes to roads.

Biome generation. umm... it's drunk, stoned, and on LSD.

Difficulty, etc is fine, weapons are still too weak. I'm sorry. I use a marksman rifle and shoot a zombie in the head, it should die.

At least the weaker and non-irradiated ones. The glowy guys are mutant zombies, so sure, more shots. Bears, thick skulls so okay there.

9mm? yeah, couple shots. Shotgun to the face point blank? I expect the head to asplodey. (as least the weaker ones, the stronger ones, okay, it'll just piss them off..)

Yes, gun damage is my pet annoyance, and yes, I can and have modded it to do a lot more damage. (too much actually, but it's just too funny not to use) Actually, with all these army camps etc about, really need to get a .50 cal weapon. Not something you're gonna go clearing with, but for horde night. (yes, I could go clearing with an FN using .308. A Barrett? oh hell no!)

Perks/gates: meh. I'll get there eventually, so doesn't matter.

Would I like even more recipies/crafting things? Sure I would. Larger stacks? DUH! Of course, mods will do that (easy to change stack size on our own, so.... meh again. Add a recipe? easy peasy. Already did that. I has a machine gun. Findable, lootable, craftable (I think))

Better NVG (meaning they work)

Chainable power sources. Total PITA keeping circuits separate for large bases. (or just give us ONE multi input switch, that would do it)

That's my list for Santa.

(somehow I posted this in the wrong thread, or the forum is messing with my head, dunno) :p

More Biomes.

Bio gas recipe.

Make the food system less tedious. If you're a miner, it's extremely punishing at current. It seems balanced in most other activities though. It needs a buffer and "overeating" is unintuitive and usually leaves you with 1 max stamina missing anyway.

Remove "empty" loot containers. Neat idea, horrible execution. I'd rather loot and find nothing than have a useless block that never spawns loot.

Bio gas recipe.

Sources for bones and animal fat. Why don't dogs harvest into animal fat? Hell, just bring back gore blocks. What a senseless thing to remove. In fact bring back gore block mountains. It's not like you think zeds should drop anything anymore.

Remove skill magazines. Does anyone do anything with these other than sell to trader? We'll probably end up finding some sort of cheese with these anyway like temporary access to crafting perks since there's no reason to need more than 8 INT permanently.

Move Sexy Trex to agility. Party because stamina perks make more sense in the agility tree and also because the agility tree is weak.

Bio gas recipe.

Make quality factor into block/entity damage more than just offering more mod slots.

Stone Pick. Ok you have successfully kept iron pick out of our hands for what I'd consider to be too damn long. Thing is, I still need to get through metal doors. Fix it.

Reduce reliance on zeds for exp. I don't get surprised anymore because I kill everything I see, the instant I see it. It's tedious and runs counter to the "horror" part of your game. There's no danger because sneaking past things to save time is now bad strategy. Everything is too dead to pose a danger.

Bio gas recipe.

There's more but it's early and I can't remember it all at the moment.

I'd really like to see hunger being balanced with stamina in a different fashion. Atm I think max stamina depletes in 1:1 correlation with hunger, perhaps it should only start affecting max stamina after hunger is at say, 50%?

You can eat/drink past 100% to get that effect, I carry bacon and eggs when I'm not doing home invasions and basically eat whenever the popup says I'm down to 74% food and drink whenever I get down to 99% water (or 74%'s good for red tea), and I'll top up before hitting a scary POI. I really like the new cap/fillrate mechanic, it feels right. Infection's still a little weird, boiled meat is weirder.

Why is this always brought up as if A16.4 didn't exist forever with the whole crafting xp thing removed?

And still had people rubbing themselves on cactuses to raise armor and medicine, or damaging and repairing blocks to raise construction tools. Learning by doing always devolves into stupid ♥♥♥♥ that isn't actually "doing".

And still had people rubbing themselves on cactuses to raise armor and medicine, or damaging and repairing blocks to raise construction tools. Learning by doing always devolves into stupid ♥♥♥♥ that isn't actually "doing".

I still don't get what was so hard about: NOT rubbing up against cactuses, or NOT damaging and repairing blocks?

Why do so many others care about how someone else played?

Why is this always brought up as if A16.4 didn't exist forever with the whole crafting xp thing removed?

Many people here wax poetic about learning by doing including crafting.

I like the current setup, where I gain XP by performing actions and spend the skill points gained from that XP on whatever skills I want. I think that the current system needs some tweaking because XP from gathering and crafting is too slow early game (but seems to pick up as you get better tools and craft higher tier things - I'm not far enough in to have an opinion about the XP rate from those activities later in the game).

I'd like if they just added a backpack slot and had us craft a small bag at the start with grass, then have a cloth, leather, and military fiber tiers of back packs, could even have the military fiber bag gated via a book or perk

Made a thread about it but no one gave a ♥♥♥♥, guess that it is not a popular feature

I still don't get what was so hard about: NOT rubbing up against cactuses, or NOT damaging and repairing blocks?

That's what I don't get either. But still, if someone wants to progress that way instead of doing something useful, that's their problem. If what you get out of it is actually over-powered and more efficient than the actual doing, the problem doesn't lie in the concept... the problem lies in the implementation of the benefits.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... and btw the recent reviews are screaming it... keep the perks, make them a little less effective and make up the difference with a little learn by doing. Go a step further and add a tiny hair of benefit to item quality tiers and everyone will be happy. No single system will be overpowered against the others and if someone wants to punch and repair walls all night, let them because it won't matter too much anyway.

That's what I don't get either. But still, if someone wants to progress that way instead of doing something useful, that's their problem. If what you get out of it is actually over-powered and more efficient than the actual doing, the problem doesn't lie in the concept... the problem lies in the implementation of the benefits.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... and btw the recent reviews are screaming it... keep the perks, make them a little less effective and make up the difference with a little learn by doing. Go a step further and add a tiny hair of benefit to item quality tiers and everyone will be happy. No single system will be overpowered against the others and if someone wants to punch and repair walls all night, let them because it won't matter too much anyway.

Why does it matter? Because it makes balancing a nightmare. Not saying its impossible, I just wouldnt want the task.

Not saying it's the best decision, but it's easier to balance one variable (xp gain) vs multiple sources. If I was a game developer, I would want my audience to experience as much of my creation as possible and do away with any mechanics that let people bypass large parts of it.

A large bulk of the complaints seem to be from the sandbox crowd who want 100% freedom to do what they want. I say the game needs at least 2 modes ).

1) Survival mode (developers vision)

2) Sandbox Mode (many customizable settings)

3) Battle Royale /Horde Mode (faster paced gaming sessions)

It would be nice if it was ar all palyable....

# Performance sucks donkeyballz...

# Stamina is same...

# Quests are a joke.

# Levelling the same...

In general the whole game sucks as is. I know that others like it but my playstyle doesnt fit and I really hate it... But I had my moneys worth and have come to terms and moved on.

Why does it matter? Because it makes balancing a nightmare. Not saying its impossible, I just wouldnt want the task.

Not saying it's the best decision, but it's easier to balance one variable (xp gain) vs multiple sources. If I was a game developer, I would want my audience to experience as much of my creation as possible and do away with any mechanics that let people bypass large parts of it.

You are right, it isn't impossible. You are probably right that nobody wants to do it. That's basically all it comes down to. But if you keep taking things away because it's hard to do, what will you have left to show anybody that they haven't already seen? Would you even be proud to show it? The new system is clean. I like it, I like how it looks, I like the interface, but it is very dull and not creative at all. The old system was an ugly mess. It didn't make sense that you could spend points in the "learnable" skills. But it was unique and rewarding. In my opinion, the best thing they could do is take the best parts of both systems and let them work together. Perks should be special abilities and you get them spending points. Skills should be learned, you get them by actual experience doing that task. The two can work together just fine. If you so badly want players to experience everything, just make sure all of those things are touched while trying to get those perks.

I have no wishes for Alpha 17.1, because the "vision" TFP has for the game to become right now is plain and simple bad. And it seems that MadMole is intentionally ignoring all complains across different plattforms, despite the fact that a lot of them have valid points. He rather tries to force people into a certain new playstyle and risking the loss of a lot of customers instead of listening to them and improve the game the way the majority want it.

My advice to TFP is: Go to Steam read the bad reviews carefully and then finally realize that people just hate this new version of the game. After a whole year of developement people are so disappointed in the new version that they changend back to Alpha 16.4 or stopped playing competly. If this behaviour does not open your eyes nothing else will.

This, "if it's broken, don't do it" functions as a suggestion for unfinished systems in an alpha game, but the idea that you should just leave dumb game paths in because someone might like doing them is terrible design. Playing to the game rules as they exist and being challenged is much more fun for most people than needing to introduce self-imposed limitations to make the game work right. You might as well just make creative the default and leave the tuning to the individual if that's your philosophy.

This, "if it's broken, don't do it" functions as a suggestion for unfinished systems in an alpha game, but the idea that you should just leave dumb game paths in because someone might like doing them is terrible design. Playing to the game rules as they exist and being challenged is much more fun for most people than needing to introduce self-imposed limitations to make the game work right. You might as well just make creative the default and leave the tuning to the individual if that's your philosophy.

Ok and tell me which challenge do we have now?

Crafting? Nope easier as it was ever

Looting? Nope forget it easy loot too many of high end stuff like Guns

Zombie Fighting? Nope AI only cheats to get you but still act stupid, so only Challenge is to find ways to make AI cheating harder or use it against the AI.

Leveling? Nope not really punsh zombies and learn how to forge and cook, possible the Zombies scream the Recipes during you hit them

So tell me which Challenge do we currently have i dont see any real Challenge in the game , the only challenge i see is to mod many thousand lines of xml files to make it a challenge again , fix dumbed down crafting , fix stupid skill and perk system and such stuff but that is another type of challenge.

So if you call it a challenge to have easy mode crafting, easy mode ressource gathering, learn everything by killing zombies, cheating zombies but still stupid ai then yep you possible see it as a challenge, for me its a big update full of in my opinion bad design decisions and the wish to make this game more and more easy mode.

Ok and tell me which challenge do we have now?

Crafting? Nope easier as it was ever

Looting? Nope forget it easy loot too many of high end stuff like Guns

Zombie Fighting? Nope AI only cheats to get you but still act stupid, so only Challenge is to find ways to make AI cheating harder or use it against the AI.

Leveling? Nope not really punsh zombies and learn how to forge and cook, possible the Zombies scream the Recipes during you hit them

So tell me which Challenge do we currently have i dont see any real Challenge in the game , the only challenge i see is to mod many thousand lines of xml files to make it a challenge again , fix dumbed down crafting , fix stupid skill and perk system and such stuff but that is another type of challenge.

So if you call it a challenge to have easy mode crafting, easy mode ressource gathering, learn everything by killing zombies, cheating zombies but still stupid ai then yep you possible see it as a challenge, for me its a big update full of in my opinion bad design decisions and the wish to make this game more and more easy mode.

What does this even have to do with anything I wrote?

What I would love to see is the removal of the bartering perk entirely. All bartering upgrades should be attached to Trader quests. Everytime you unlock a new tier of quests, your bartering goes up. Also, I would like to see the secret stash be locked until you reach at least lvl 3 quests.

I have no wishes for Alpha 17.1, because the "vision" TFP has for the game to become right now is plain and simple bad. And it seems that MadMole is intentionally ignoring all complains across different plattforms, despite the fact that a lot of them have valid points. He rather tries to force people into a certain new playstyle and risking the loss of a lot of customers instead of listening to them and improve the game the way the majority want it.

My advice to TFP is: Go to Steam read the bad reviews carefully and then finally realize that people just hate this new version of the game. After a whole year of developement people are so disappointed in the new version that they changend back to Alpha 16.4 or stopped playing competly. If this behaviour does not open your eyes nothing else will.

We want to make as many people happy as possible. I've been reading non stop, but I don't make all the decisions. We are making some adjustments that should address a lot of issues. There is no majority, its clearly 50/50. Once balanced it can be 70/30 for sure with no harsh changes to any systems, just balance.

A portion of the other 30% can be won over with some new options. We genuinely feel that some mechanics are poorly understood like stamina so we're going to make some improvements.

You can, for the record run faster and further in A17 than A16. (Unless something changed I'm not aware of). There are cardio perks you can buy that allow you to run for ages without running out of stamina. With 3 ranks of sexual trex you can mine nearly endlessly with 1 handed items, and with 4 you can mine endlessly with 2 handed tools.

You can also over eat, we are fixing the hud to show you can eat to 150%. Then you have about half an hour of stuff you can do before stamina is compromised at all. We're fixing it so you can over drink too. So with a 150% gas tank you'll have a lot of time to do things before stamina bar starts to be damaged.

I think everyone ignores agility too, a 200 stamina bar would solve a lot of stamina woes too but I think most players buy INT and STR because they seem to be the best perks.

We're buffing coffee and noob players will start with 150 food so they have more time to find stuff before taking stamina damage.

Anyhow Alpha 17 is stable, (no crashes) but far from putting our happy stamp of approval on. We are listening and reading and playing a lot ourselves too, so more balance changes and performance improvements are coming.

I've already buffed trader xp x5 and duke rewards x3. So the quests will level up most players when you turn it in. I've made lumberjacks a viable trade now, so you can make a decent living chopping wood. I'll balance metal and stuff too, so you can sell ores for money. I've increased the player sell rate so you make more money from selling items. The economy still needs a ton of work, but its getting better.

Archived