New Update Food/Drink issue?

Kage848

Heh...4 bacon & eggs, Large Beef Ration, Pears, Chili, 2 cans of Sham all gone by day 2. I was already low at that point, but decided to buy a few hobo stews (now with real hobo!). Water...well, I decided I was going to have to risk drinking the questionable stuff.....so far so good....BUT, now I have a mod for my hat that lets me drink my own pee!!...

Protip: don't forget to wear the right hat when you drink pee.

-Morloc

Bear Grylls would be proud

I think the best bet for TFP to do is make it realistic where we would need 2-3 meals a day.

A meal consisting of 10-20 food. So food drain would be about 30-60 food a day.

This being said the fast the in-game day, the more/faster you have to eat

It needs to be somewhat to survive. Water is fairly easy imo. and feels realistic as you are constantly thirsty if you don't drink enough.

I want them to bring back the "full" effect, if you over-ate, you kept above the food for that amount of fullness you went over.

My theory is, whoever is doing these xml balance changes purposely overbalances some of the changes at first then reins it in on the next patch, in the attempt to make people more accepting of the overall nerf.

That's how the government raises taxes.

You may be on to something here.

gHXakni.gif

Don't worry guys, it's not so bad, in the next build your guy will start with only 1 leg 1 arm and 1 lumb and you'll have to spend 5 spoint to get the wooden leg perk, the plastic hand perk and the oxygen bottles perk to be able to walk more than 100m! :tickled_pink::chuncky::biggrin-new:

FunPimps! I'm joking! DON'T DO That! :cheerful:

Maybe a little more focus on mid-late game and little less on early game. I think games are best when they start off easy and ramp up the difficulty. We have all played the same early game 1000x, do we need it slower?

Even if you say "yes" to that that's fine but i was really not having a lot of fun with half stamina by 12pm. Seems some people really want a different game than I do. And that's fine too i guess, just here to let TFP know I personally think the food/drink nerf went way to far.

I would agree with this. I also feel that early game was a bit too nerfed in regards to stamina usage and block damage with tools. Previous b221 had it right on spot in my opinion.

But as for food nerf, i would say it was needed and I like it. Why? Because you can buy food with dukes now from vending machines for quite cheap prices ( meat costs only 2 dukes for example, other tier tier food costs around 100 dukes to replenish and heal you great deal ). SO I would keep the food and stamina - I always have too many dukes anyways. Day one just find a potato farm and throw those potatoes in a campfire - more than you need till day 2.

I guess it also comes down to the way you play the game - I always just melee and sneak attack them with bow so I do lots of dungeons runs fast runs through from the start ( like day 2 ) and there I find lots of stuff from Chests at "the end". At the end of the first week you have more than you can eat.

I would agree with this. I also feel that early game was a bit too nerfed in regards to stamina usage and block damage with tools. Previous b221 had it right on spot in my opinion.

But as for food nerf, i would say it was needed and I like it. Why? Because you can buy food with dukes now from vending machines for quite cheap prices ( meat costs only 2 dukes for example, other tier tier food costs around 100 dukes to replenish and heal you great deal ). SO I would keep the food and stamina - I always have too many dukes anyways.

I guess it also comes down to the way you play the game - I always just melee and sneak attack them with bow so I do lots of dungeons runs fast runs through from the start ( like day 2 ) and there I find lots of stuff from Chests at "the end". At the end of the first week you have more than you can eat.

I will pay closer attention to the foods the traders are selling for sure. But even with the food they sell what do they have like 30 meat? Thats like 1/3 of a days food drain. The good food that costs 100 dukes? yea, maybe half a day. I would argue the stamina you waste running 2km for a quest to make a few dukes will drain more stamina than the food you buy with them. Guns don't sell, only things keeping me afloat is oil barrels, how long for that nerf?

What else are you selling?

I stayed with my playthrough for this build and at level 60-odd I am feeling this change. My box was full of Bacon and Eggs, like 60+. Now it is down to 40 after 3 (working) days with the new build. I am drinking 4 to 5 water per day now too.

This change was needed as food became pointless previously, however it feels like too much. This must be killer for people starting over, if it's hitting me like this when I was well-established.

It's experimental so they make changes and see how the community responds.

It could be worse they could be like all the AAA game companies and nerf the crap out of everything just so they can introduce a micro-transaction to temporarily raise things back to the originals levels.

Devs have already admitted they pushed it too far. Internal build already has it rebalanced between what it was before and what is in 231.

ninja'd!!!

Yeah no big deal.

Seems like players are getting used to this pendulum thing.

It's all part of testing and balancing.

To be honest, I find it fascinating.

We're getting a real-time look at game development.

It's pretty cool actually.

I've also been hampered by the new wellness system in B231. The trader for me is 539m away, but because I have to jump up a hill on the way, by the time I get there I'm usually down to 45-60% wellness. That's after overstuffing myself so I stay above 100% for a bit.. What's worse is the food poisoning, which actually can and will kill you if you get canned food. I started one journey at 80% hunger in a town about 1km away according to the map. I ate some canned beef rations and then started heading home with only one overencumbered slot. By the time I got home I was capped at 35% stamina and died waiting for my eggs to boil. Not fun. Over the course of about four hours in a one hundred and twenty minute game my stamina can go from 100% to 45% just from digging or cutting down trees. It's enough that I'm constantly suffering and can't go looting because I don't have the stamina to use any melee weapons. It gets so bad I get one or maybe two swings in before I have to wait a few seconds for the stamina to get back in the thirties before I can swing again.

I just started day 2, going to see how it goes. I don't use this word lightly but this is almost unplayable. Lets see how day 2 goes.

Yes, I agree 100%. Just started a new world last night and my character must have worms. She ate 3 pigs and several cans of food in the first two days, and is still hungry.

It's making the game unpleasant and not fun.

I think the best bet for TFP to do is make it realistic where we would need 2-3 meals a day.

A meal consisting of 10-20 food. So food drain would be about 30-60 food a day.

This being said the fast the in-game day, the more/faster you have to eat

It needs to be somewhat to survive. Water is fairly easy imo. and feels realistic as you are constantly thirsty if you don't drink enough.

I want them to bring back the "full" effect, if you over-ate, you kept above the food for that amount of fullness you went over.

Um..................that's IN A17. You can overeat up to 125% and not lose a thing. Water goes over too.

I noticed this straight away when I was continuing mining my tunnel to my horde base with a steel pickaxe, my guy ate and drank so much in just 2 game hours, I refuse to use the food/drink perk. My farm is keeping me fed plus the 5 stacks of meat I have. But I will be feeling it when I start fresh today real soon. Permadeath nomad style!

I will pay closer attention to the foods the traders are selling for sure. But even with the food they sell what do they have like 30 meat? Thats like 1/3 of a days food drain. The good food that costs 100 dukes? yea, maybe half a day. I would argue the stamina you waste running 2km for a quest to make a few dukes will drain more stamina than the food you buy with them. Guns don't sell, only things keeping me afloat is oil barrels, how long for that nerf?

What else are you selling?

Iron reinforced clubs fetch a "decent" price if they are good quality.

Steel tools are good for sale too, if you can make steel.

Meat costs about 2 dukes a piece from vending machines.

Day 2 so far, haven't had any particular problems with food. Definitely eating more but killed 2 animals and birds nest still give a ton of eggs (and water is super plentiful) so the wife and I haven't starved yet.

There is a definite shift in focus though isn't there?

Just a little more attention goes to finding food.

It's good though. I like this.

The game is becoming to grindy in sooooo many ways. Working fulltime managing 2 kids the game is becoming a chore to play. I could go single player and cheat in all the stuff but that's not the way I want to play Alpha17. Imo I can't understand how and why this Alpha is sooooo different to previous Alpha's.

Becoming disinterested in even logging in to play :(

Two things I learned from this update.

1) Don't run until you have a lot of food and water. So, all Day 1 you walk to the trader and hope he has ether a cooking pot or a forge to make a cooking pot. Use "hip fire" with a bow as it uses the least amount of stamina. I have NO idea how many stone arrows I've made.

2) This one people will not like, but you need to put a point into the slow food and water perks. Half your starting points.

Archived