New Update Food/Drink issue?

Kage848

So now I have to walk most of the way or stop very regularly. Sorry but that IS boring.

I appreciate your feelings on that, but it is, at least in part a survival game isn't it? I doubt many of us if dropped into a zombie apocalypse would be able to run 2 miles without at least being winded. I'm guessing we would move cautiously and only run when necessary.

Blame TFP. Since the strike that destroys the tree or the stage of the boulder yields far more resource than all the other strikes, it is simply not efficient to mine only part of a tree/boulder.

Which is why I avoid trees and boulders until I'm better equipped. Small stones and those scraggly one hit trees provide more than enough resources in the short term for me.

If I can do "anything" I want in the first day it's not a survival game at all, might as well turn on creative and have a go at it.

I totally get what you're saying, I'm not even disagreeing with you. I will say that in my experience when I decide to walk to the trader I still end up totally encumbered from searching cars, garbage, trash, ans POIs if stumble upon it. Then I have to decided, make a drop chest and have to make the next part of the walk 2 more times, or just keep going, or get rid of stuff I may need (I don't take stuff I don't need on day 1). Then I still have to hope there is a place to clear out and stay the night, or just hide in the dark with no protection after I visit the trader. Either way I still have to worry about the food and stamina because I either have to make the walk back and forth again, or I lose a ton of stamina walking encumbered.

For the record, I'll usually do none of those options. Just giving examples. Generally I just walk until I'm close enough to the trader and look for a place to stay. Last night I had to eat raw eggs because I was out of food (I know they balanced for today's build) by noon. The second egg got me sick... I ate 13 more immediately to fill up my bar lol.

Plenty of options, some just aren't fun for everyone is my point. Good RNG with food helps tremendously day 1.

Unless I'm close to my destination, I won't travel encumbered for the reasons you stated. I wholeheartedly agree that some aspects aren't fun for everyone. I guess my approach is I accept the un fun as a challenge and see if I can find a solution that makes it fun. Once I've overcome the challenge it seems rewarding.

Unless I'm close to my destination, I won't travel encumbered for the reasons you stated. I wholeheartedly agree that some aspects aren't fun for everyone. I guess my approach is I accept the un fun as a challenge and see if I can find a solution that makes it fun. Once I've overcome the challenge it seems rewarding.

I'm in totally agree with you, however, if I have an opportunity for input to be heard and considered... I'll take it lol

Sounds like we play pretty similar tbh lol.

EDIT: for the record, the stamina/food in b231 was terrible and I did not enjoy it, glad they updated quick to change that

Scenario 1... I must get to the trader.

Run full speed until my stamina is gone, wait, and repeat (while overburdened) - Complain that stamina usage is too high, they don't have enough food, and it's boring.

Scenario 2... I need to gather rocks and wood.

Chop boulders and 1200 hp trees with a stone ax until stamina is gone, wait and repeat - Complain that stamina usage is too high, they don't have enough food and it's boring.

I find it interesting the lack of critical thinking and problem solving some people display. If action X produces undesirable effects...stop doing the same thing over and over. Try a different approach.

Try walking towards the trader. Search some trash bags for useful items (empty jars), search nests for eggs, pick up single rocks, punch the bush that gives wood, avoid zombies.

It's not a race to get to the trader, enjoy the journey, have some patience. Using the above approach I reached my trader (2.5k away) by 1400 with 71 stamina left, bought some food, cleared a POI for the night and settled in with full stamina and 8 bacon and eggs cooking.

Seems simple to me, but I guess in this world of instant gratification and participation trophies no one wants to to put in the effort and actually earn their rewards.

Now this I agree with, and that was my experience with 228 but it doesn't sound like that is 231. With cardio, not being overburdened and not wearing armor you could sprint most of the time still anyway. Harvesting with a stone axe sucks yes, but it should suck. I might do 1 tree and a boulder or 2 before I have iron but I try to make that ♥♥♥♥ last until then and go for the low yield stuff like you do. A lot of people neglect the trash (I know my friends in MP do) but there tends to be useful stuff in there.

A16 stamina was a joke, booze/coffee worked great, probably too great (now they completely suck) by 3rd level of trex was a non-issue (granted I was a wellness junky). As soon as you found a workbench combining stone axes, bows and bone shivs I found myself using them more often than not until I could make ql600 steel tools. It really was too easy, and now maybe the balance has tipped a bit too far the other way so it's got a lot of people riled up. Early looting wasn't really worthwhile either (I can't believe anyone though skilled leveled scavenging was a good thing), which is probably why people tend to neglect the trash. Really good riddance to A16!

Person in snow biome though, yeah, get the hell out. Snow biome is certain death without warm clothes. I settled down once in snow cause of trader, and even though I had killed several pigs/deer on the way up and had plenty of eggs, I was starving to death in 2 days. Early snow biome is for people who want a challenge - lumberjacks take more time to kill but don't provide better XP, there is no craftable like the poncho, food tends to be scarce. It is a hard start (yes start, because getting to level 5 and losing elemental protection happens fast) for sure.

And yes, traders sometimes sell eggs.

+1

I just hit day 2 on a solo-default difficulty-RWG. Post tutorial run to trader (2k) I noticed the stamina issues. New plan: must score food/drink before night. Found a commercial block with a Shamway and Butcher Pete's. Spent loose change I found in vending machine on eggs. Perked 1 point to Master Chef and now doing just fine. Would be just fine even without Chef perk, lots of canned food in those shamway crates. I haven't chopped a tree nor hammered a stone yet.

We know where the food is, I find it appropriate that it is now probably a top day one priority. Hit up BBQ's in yards, Fridges/Cupboards, Shamway, Bakery, Butcher, Strip Joint, Fast Food, Farms, Bars, the great outdoors...... so any options for food in this game......

I really like that hunger has actually become a meaningful concern for survival. The problem for me lies in the way it's been implemented though. To me the way it is now makes it feel like not so much a survival aspect, but more of an eating simulator. I think it would be much better... and feel more like survival... if hunger degradation was slowed down quite a bit. In order to balance this, food could be more scarce and harder to come by. After some balancing the same ratio of hunger degradation to food availability could be achieved as it is now, the only difference would be that you wouldn't have to eat the equivalent of a whole deer, half a pig and four cans of Sham every day.

+1

I just hit day 2 on a solo-default difficulty-RWG. Post tutorial run to trader (2k) I noticed the stamina issues. New plan: must score food/drink before night. Found a commercial block with a Shamway and Butcher Pete's. Spent loose change I found in vending machine on eggs. Perked 1 point to Master Chef and now doing just fine. Would be just fine even without Chef perk, lots of canned food in those shamway crates. I haven't chopped a tree nor hammered a stone yet.

We know where the food is, I find it appropriate that it is now probably a top day one priority. Hit up BBQ's in yards, Fridges/Cupboards, Shamway, Bakery, Butcher, Strip Joint, Fast Food, Farms, Bars, the great outdoors...... so any options for food in this game......

Yeah good post.

This really highlights the difference in game play between A16 and A17.

I don't remember ever worrying about food in A16.

It just wasn't an issue.

[For veterans at least. I know some newer players struggled a little till they got the hang of it.]

In A17 one of the biggest changes is what you need to focus on during the first seven days.

Food is right up there!

I think that's got some people griping but also some are loving it.

That's probably true about any of the changes we're seeing, however, isn't it?

I'm not spending much time in the game anymore. Reason being it's totally broken and imho totally unplayable. I do understand others feel different but I'm giving my personal point of view,

I have been popping in to have a look at every update but that wont happen to many more times... Game sucks in so many ways and it's taking a turn that I dont like.

If this is anything close to what TFP wanted when they started 5 years ago..... then I must say that they have done a pisspoor job over all these years with the earlier Alphas.

Imho this sucks in more ways I can even explain. So with that said, bring the hateful comments..

I'm not spending much time in the game anymore. Reason being it's totally broken and imho totally unplayable. I do understand others feel different but I'm giving my personal point of view,

I have been popping in to have a look at every update but that wont happen to many more times... Game sucks in so many ways and it's taking a turn that I dont like.

If this is anything close to what TFP wanted when they started 5 years ago..... then I must say that they have done a pisspoor job over all these years with the earlier Alphas.

Imho this sucks in more ways I can even explain. So with that said, bring the hateful comments..

Everyone has their own opinions man, no hate from me. I wish they would have just given us all the new stuff with the A16 system. I am still having fun though. I would be having more fun with it though if they would not have completely scrapped the old system.

Wish you the best bud, when I revisit A16 for a playthrough here and there you're welcome to join for some MP/PVE if you would like.

Steam name is the same as my name here.

In the defense of the devs, I am glad that they made this change. It got me thinking about the starvation mechanic, and as such i believe it needs some work. Seeing what starving to death looks like, I find the old wellness system made more sense then the current system. However i do see the path they are going and i like the ideas they are pushing.

So more feedback and descriptions of play style are needed to fix the hunger system.

Thank you so much for feedback that actually means anything.................. insert extreme sarcasm. Not hate - just fact.

Archived