After 4000 hours with a11-a16, I won't spend much time in a17x. Here's why... no fun!

Bubbahotetp

I'm playing since years back in a group of about 6-8 regular players and we pretty much agree on quite a few points regarding a17x.

- Performance: has not become better but has become worse. Graphics settings have to be put way down or you'll have input lag of up to half a second. Can't have that with zeds spawning around you in POIs, the mouse at least needs to always have a snap to it. This isn't an improvement sins a16.

- Graphics: The looks of the game are much more wishy-washy water coloury with too much water added, unless you get really close. Grass looks like just a sea of mush and is hard on the old eyes. Even maxed out settings don't improve this. The colour palette is horrible! Everything is grey like in a haze and it's hard on the eyes and unpleasant to look at for long. I actually realized that the world looks better at night than during the day with this crazy haze over everything. It's really bad! It's worse than it has been in a16. Much worse!

- World size: I am pretty sure that the pimps got rid of the borderless world, and then kept making it smaller because of engine problems. The farther you travelled from the centre of the map the more models would start vibrating and graphically falling apart, shaders would glitch out and all sorts of shadow flickers would start. Once while the world was still continuously generated I travelled 100km on the map in a straight line and when I reached my target distance the graphics were pretty much vibrating apart and totally glitching out. In a16 that would still happen to some degree, especially shadows, if close to the edge of the map. I assume that's why the map has now become pretty small, to avoid that problem all together. The cost of this trade off is very high though. World size was one of the interesting factors of this game and now everybody stews in the same cooking pot. In my opinion the glitches from a16 were a price worth paying, the world size acceptable. But this a17x world size is ridiculously small.

- World terrain: What happened? What was the problem with varying terrain? Why even have random world generation if every map now looks the same and plays the same - who cares about RNG worlds if there is no difference? What is going on?!

- Spawn: Everybody seems to spawn in the same general area - is this for PvP? Why change something that has worked for years?

- Skill gating and item quality: The game has become totally cookie cutter - every player is now the same, every item the same, there is no luck any more, there is no hard working any more - except grind to get those skill points. You wanna make the game more realistic so it takes much longer to climb up a frigging ladder? That's just annoying and to no use for the player! You're overthinking everything! Just relax and make it more fun and give freedom rather than thinking that a lot of rules and regulations will add fun because it's an added challenge. No! You don't understand! That's not how fun works! Minecraft is fun. It's a total crap game from a logical standpoint and it looks like sh* - but freedom is fun! If you want to build your forge the first thing you wanna do out of the gate - let the player have it! What's the problem? Why control everything everybody is doing? It's paranoid!

- Dungeons: Several waves of Zds spawning? It's annoying. I, and I bet most other players will completely negate all dungeons after the first or second run and chop straight through to the goodies. With inventory restrictions, input lag, the toughness of the zds and them constantly respawning - why would I risk running a 1,5 to 2h gauntlet for 3-4 loot boxes in a constantly dangerous environment if I can just wood frame my way to the roof, break 2 roof tiles, snipe 3 zds, jump in, grab the loot and get out? I'm not doing the long way more than once! And ironically - I actually love the dungeon style playing - it's just not practical from a survival standpoint. I can do dungeons once I'm high level and want something to do while I already have everything that I need. But while low level? Why would I? Too dangerous with too little reward!

- Z spawn & abilities & horde night: I assume that Z's don't contain loot any more because there was no convenient way of turning off the duplication exploit. So I'm only killing them for the XP now? WHY, oh WHY do I now care to do a horde night at all?! OH I forgot, it's because they get me now, no matter what I do and I have to defend myself! No, not gonna happen! If I want XP I get them much safer and under much more controlled circumstances during the day, away from the base. Very very easy pickings!

You think they will get me in horde night, because now they supposedly get you anywhere? No they don't!

I can log off the server until morning. There! Fooled them already! Just as safe as being underground in a16.

Is that part of the new way of playing the game? There have to be ways for an early player to defend themself - sadly all you've done is remove choices and rewards. Let me tell you what I mean by that: An early player, especially if he comes on late on a server (let's say day 100+) - won't have any other choice than to log off on horde night if he wants to remain safe. Zombies not being able to dig was maybe never the plan - but it worked! People who were chickens could hide, dwarfs could hide (no, dwarfs are not chicken - they are bad ass, they just like to dig!) and new players could hide. Not any more. I've already seen more than enough horde nights where nobody was online but me and some crazy friends. Everybody else ran away because they had no defence. And I understand them - with how crap the skill gating is now, how can you defend yourself in a reasonable way before you are really high level? Only high level players can do horde nights effectively unless you put a hell of a lot of work in, to convert existing buildings into horde night death traps! However: I don't wanna work my butt off to convert a building I can't LCB because of server rules - I wanna build my own kick-ass fortress and keep it! But I can't because I am too low level and I suck. I can't build crap that holds up when it counts? How many millions of spike traps am I supposed to put up around me because that's the only thing I can do? All this did again is remove choice. No choice - no fun! Game breaking. That's all it is. Game breaking. Why do i care now?

- Vehicles: Never thought I needed them - didn't think it then, not thinking it now. Of course it's cool to be zipping around with a mini bike being able to do bank runs, but what with making travel so convenient - where is the challenge of the trip? That's what I thought then. And now with a plethora of vehicles the uselessness has just been multiplied. Yes cool that we get new toys to play with! Thanks! For five minutes until we realize we just wasted valuable skill points. The map is tiny!!! Where are you gonna drive to? That's not working out for the greater good of things.

- Re-playability: From being a game of infinitive re-playability this has become a tedium that I'm already quite tired off. The max level I reached was 20 and then level 10 a couple of times and I'm tired of it. Having to do the exact same skill raises over and over again and gate through the same skill set? Yes the skills are cool, but extremely restricting in the way they are set up. It's not working for ya, because it's not working for the player!

I don't give a flying duck what anybody else thinks, this is my opinion and that of a group of friends of mine and if the devs want to make a game for the players, they have to make it FOR THE PLAYERS. Think player first! You are here for us players, we are not here for you. Sorry but that's the reality of it! I love you guys for all you've done, but we're not married with children. You are devs, we are players. When do I and my friends play your game? ONLY WHEN IT'S FUN! If not, then we're all the f* out of here playing something else. If you didn't know that yet and this is a surprise to you, you picked the wrong job! In that case sorry.

I love what you're doing, you and I have dedicated a chunk of our lives to this game, as a lot of people have, but you're going in the wrong direction here and if you are interested in what people think about this then you have a lot to reconsider. Put the fun back in and don't get too invested in fancy shenanigans that'll keep us busy for five minutes until we get tired of them. I've played 4000 hours WITHOUT all that fancy crap, does that look like I need all of the above to have more fun? You're misunderstanding something if you believe so. Grow with the times, evaluate where you're coming from and where you're trying to go with this, and if you want this product to continue growing you got some changes to make.

Put the fun back in and don't make things too complicated, don't overthink this! Look at what games have stood the test of time - most of them are actually pretty simple in concept. Going too complex and with too high goals is often just going to be a bullet through your own foot and its going to waste you a lot of time and a lot of your hard earned money!

Choice is fun, options is fun, size is fun, re-playability and variety is fun - a16 was way more in that regard than where this is headed. Maybe you should play it some time and get some inspiration from it. You've overshot your goal this time.

I wish you guys all the best and thanks for everything you've done so far. Let's hope this isn't how it ends for me because I've had a blast so far.

I love almost every change they made.. you just need new set of eyes and approach the problems from different perspective. It's a whole new game so you cant complain that its not the same as it was... or that A17 would add more of the same from a16.

As for leveling i hit lvl 30 on day 5.. so I guess different approaches bears different results. I always loved melee fighting never used any guns before - it has always been the best and fastest way to level up - new style is just awesome. There are still some bugs in experimental but TFP never disappointed. Its experimental so its expected it will be ups and downs untill stable build.

If you prefer old way opt out from A17 and go back to A16.4

I for one will be busy with this game and all new mechanics. Love the new stuff so much deeper than before.

The only complaint I have is a stuttering lag and FPS drop in the last b199 update. But maybe its also time i buy some new hardware, afterall we cant expect that game requirements will be the same as they were for A10, when I first started playing this game.

Agreed with everything, except the digging part.

I want every possible way to avoid the horde to be eliminated.

But every other point you have said, I have tried to tell them for months now.

They do not listen.

Restricting freedom in the name of freedom is insanity. And the dungeons will stay laughable, until blocks will have a higher durability.

But yea... you will be hated. You will be told to 'simply' mod the game. And that you just want spamcrafting and min/maxing back. Oh and now the game offers more freedom of course.

Heard it all. Don't be discouraged. Some ppl have personal investment in the game and others are too big of a fan to admit that tfps f'ed up.

Oh and obviously some DO in fact enjoy A17. And it is their right to do so. Ppl enjoy fortnight... so... :D

World terrain: What happened? What was the problem with varying terrain? Why even have random world generation if every map now looks the same and plays the same - who cares about RNG worlds if there is no difference? What is going on?!

I cant understand this either. Well, I imagine they tried to make a map that makes more real life sense. But it makes 0 sense gameplay wise. Every frikin map is the same. And why the hell would we do a big map now? The only think we would achieve is having a more boring map, since there would be a biiiig snow biome without variation, a biiig middle zone without variation and a biiig desert zone without variation. So we can only play small maps if we want variation. And tehres just 1 map with random generated buildings in it, isntead of infinite maps like before.

Terrible change gameplay wise, even if it makes more sense as a real world

btw removing the complaint about digging zombies would give your post more credibility. That addition has been asked for so many times. Even if it were a bad addition, which it isnt, lots of players asked for it and so it was added. So good job on their part there

I understand your viewpoint and some others criticizing the changes, 4000 hrs is impressive play time. Regarding the performance and world size it's not a case of they've had 16 previous alphas to get the game perfect, but more a case of testing the waters moving onto the new Unity upgrade. Being in early access AND experimental hopefully things will improve.

I've had less stutter in a17 and I like the new lighting system, looks more realistic and the burned zombies look friggin amazing. With the brightness issue I find lowering the gamma fixes this.

Fun is subjective and I with some others prefer the more survival challenge now. Previous alphas survival was practically non existent. It was more like playing Marvel's version of a superhero Daryl Dixon. But logging off a server to avoid horde night? That's really upto the player if they want to do that nothing TFP can do about that. Regarding being too weak early game, running away or avoiding fights is a valid option, knowing i am invincible by the first horde night takes away a lot of fun for me.

But like I say it's a very early build of the new Unity upgrade, hope you'll find new enjoyment to keep you going for another 4k

I got to say just as yourself in my opinion I love the changes. Does some things need worked on, balancing some in my opinion yes but wasn't that expected? I think so especially with experimental. Unlike yourself and the friends you play with I myself is having fun and love this new direction or the direction it was meant to be that final was able to be put together.

Im 100% with you OP. I have 3,600 hours in game and its always been my go to game. I do not wish to play a survival game in which there is no way to survive. It's more "7 days 2 walk" now due to lack of stamina. I will be opting out of the new update and sticking with 16.4.

I'm playing since years back in a group of about 6-8 regular players and we pretty much agree on quite a few points regarding a17x.

- Performance: has not become better but has become worse. Graphics settings have to be put way down or you'll have input lag of up to half a second. Can't have that with zeds spawning around you in POIs, the mouse at least needs to always have a snap to it. This isn't an improvement sins a16.

- Graphics: The looks of the game are much more wishy-washy water coloury with too much water added, unless you get really close. Grass looks like just a sea of mush and is hard on the old eyes. Even maxed out settings don't improve this. The colour palette is horrible! Everything is grey like in a haze and it's hard on the eyes and unpleasant to look at for long. I actually realized that the world looks better at night than during the day with this crazy haze over everything. It's really bad! It's worse than it has been in a16. Much worse!

- World size: I am pretty sure that the pimps got rid of the borderless world, and then kept making it smaller because of engine problems. The farther you travelled from the centre of the map the more models would start vibrating and graphically falling apart, shaders would glitch out and all sorts of shadow flickers would start. Once while the world was still continuously generated I travelled 100km on the map in a straight line and when I reached my target distance the graphics were pretty much vibrating apart and totally glitching out. In a16 that would still happen to some degree, especially shadows, if close to the edge of the map. I assume that's why the map has now become pretty small, to avoid that problem all together. The cost of this trade off is very high though. World size was one of the interesting factors of this game and now everybody stews in the same cooking pot. In my opinion the glitches from a16 were a price worth paying, the world size acceptable. But this a17x world size is ridiculously small.

- World terrain: What happened? What was the problem with varying terrain? Why even have random world generation if every map now looks the same and plays the same - who cares about RNG worlds if there is no difference? What is going on?!

- Spawn: Everybody seems to spawn in the same general area - is this for PvP? Why change something that has worked for years?

- Skill gating and item quality: The game has become totally cookie cutter - every player is now the same, every item the same, there is no luck any more, there is no hard working any more - except grind to get those skill points. You wanna make the game more realistic so it takes much longer to climb up a frigging ladder? That's just annoying and to no use for the player! You're overthinking everything! Just relax and make it more fun and give freedom rather than thinking that a lot of rules and regulations will add fun because it's an added challenge. No! You don't understand! That's not how fun works! Minecraft is fun. It's a total crap game from a logical standpoint and it looks like sh* - but freedom is fun! If you want to build your forge the first thing you wanna do out of the gate - let the player have it! What's the problem? Why control everything everybody is doing? It's paranoid!

- Dungeons: Several waves of Zds spawning? It's annoying. I, and I bet most other players will completely negate all dungeons after the first or second run and chop straight through to the goodies. With inventory restrictions, input lag, the toughness of the zds and them constantly respawning - why would I risk running a 1,5 to 2h gauntlet for 3-4 loot boxes in a constantly dangerous environment if I can just wood frame my way to the roof, break 2 roof tiles, snipe 3 zds, jump in, grab the loot and get out? I'm not doing the long way more than once! And ironically - I actually love the dungeon style playing - it's just not practical from a survival standpoint. I can do dungeons once I'm high level and want something to do while I already have everything that I need. But while low level? Why would I? Too dangerous with too little reward!

- Z spawn & abilities & horde night: I assume that Z's don't contain loot any more because there was no convenient way of turning off the duplication exploit. So I'm only killing them for the XP now? WHY, oh WHY do I now care to do a horde night at all?! OH I forgot, it's because they get me now, no matter what I do and I have to defend myself! No, not gonna happen! If I want XP I get them much safer and under much more controlled circumstances during the day, away from the base. Very very easy pickings!

You think they will get me in horde night, because now they supposedly get you anywhere? No they don't!

I can log off the server until morning. There! Fooled them already! Just as safe as being underground in a16.

Is that part of the new way of playing the game? There have to be ways for an early player to defend themself - sadly all you've done is remove choices and rewards. Let me tell you what I mean by that: An early player, especially if he comes on late on a server (let's say day 100+) - won't have any other choice than to log off on horde night if he wants to remain safe. Zombies not being able to dig was maybe never the plan - but it worked! People who were chickens could hide, dwarfs could hide (no, dwarfs are not chicken - they are bad ass, they just like to dig!) and new players could hide. Not any more. I've already seen more than enough horde nights where nobody was online but me and some crazy friends. Everybody else ran away because they had no defence. And I understand them - with how crap the skill gating is now, how can you defend yourself in a reasonable way before you are really high level? Only high level players can do horde nights effectively unless you put a hell of a lot of work in, to convert existing buildings into horde night death traps! However: I don't wanna work my butt off to convert a building I can't LCB because of server rules - I wanna build my own kick-ass fortress and keep it! But I can't because I am too low level and I suck. I can't build crap that holds up when it counts? How many millions of spike traps am I supposed to put up around me because that's the only thing I can do? All this did again is remove choice. No choice - no fun! Game breaking. That's all it is. Game breaking. Why do i care now?

- Vehicles: Never thought I needed them - didn't think it then, not thinking it now. Of course it's cool to be zipping around with a mini bike being able to do bank runs, but what with making travel so convenient - where is the challenge of the trip? That's what I thought then. And now with a plethora of vehicles the uselessness has just been multiplied. Yes cool that we get new toys to play with! Thanks! For five minutes until we realize we just wasted valuable skill points. The map is tiny!!! Where are you gonna drive to? That's not working out for the greater good of things.

- Re-playability: From being a game of infinitive re-playability this has become a tedium that I'm already quite tired off. The max level I reached was 20 and then level 10 a couple of times and I'm tired of it. Having to do the exact same skill raises over and over again and gate through the same skill set? Yes the skills are cool, but extremely restricting in the way they are set up. It's not working for ya, because it's not working for the player!

I don't give a flying duck what anybody else thinks, this is my opinion and that of a group of friends of mine and if the devs want to make a game for the players, they have to make it FOR THE PLAYERS. Think player first! You are here for us players, we are not here for you. Sorry but that's the reality of it! I love you guys for all you've done, but we're not married with children. You are devs, we are players. When do I and my friends play your game? ONLY WHEN IT'S FUN! If not, then we're all the f* out of here playing something else. If you didn't know that yet and this is a surprise to you, you picked the wrong job! In that case sorry.

I love what you're doing, you and I have dedicated a chunk of our lives to this game, as a lot of people have, but you're going in the wrong direction here and if you are interested in what people think about this then you have a lot to reconsider. Put the fun back in and don't get too invested in fancy shenanigans that'll keep us busy for five minutes until we get tired of them. I've played 4000 hours WITHOUT all that fancy crap, does that look like I need all of the above to have more fun? You're misunderstanding something if you believe so. Grow with the times, evaluate where you're coming from and where you're trying to go with this, and if you want this product to continue growing you got some changes to make.

Put the fun back in and don't make things too complicated, don't overthink this! Look at what games have stood the test of time - most of them are actually pretty simple in concept. Going too complex and with too high goals is often just going to be a bullet through your own foot and its going to waste you a lot of time and a lot of your hard earned money!

Choice is fun, options is fun, size is fun, re-playability and variety is fun - a16 was way more in that regard than where this is headed. Maybe you should play it some time and get some inspiration from it. You've overshot your goal this time.

I wish you guys all the best and thanks for everything you've done so far. Let's hope this isn't how it ends for me because I've had a blast so far.

agree totally, they should remove the word 'Fun' from their name.

Classic entitled opinions. You my friend need to move on to other games instead of ♥♥♥♥ting on this awesome game and awesome update that gave you that much good times.

What game I play is entirely up to me "friend" and me moving on to other games because I don't like this game is exactly what is the problem here. Since your one sentence post makes clear that you've not understood a lot of things I'll help you out.

So scoot over here and let daddy tell you a thing or two about this. I'm not going to be saying anything about the game per se, I'm done with that, but I will explain to you why I can voice my opinion here, even if you don't agree with my opinion!

Judging by your little knee jerk reaction to criticism, you took this personal. But I can assure you, I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the pimps. And I'm actually pretty uninterested in what you have to say when it comes down to it. I just dislike the kind of person you represent in the gaming community - which I'd describe as mindless fanboi. So for all of you out there, get this:

The pimps will probably never read this and if they do they'll probably not care. But for the little chance I have, I wrote my original post for them. Not for you. But it's okay, say what ever you want and I'll answer what ever I want on what you answered me. Are we good? Everything considered (see below) it would stand to reason then, that the person offering an "entitled" opinion here is you, more than me, as little as you actually said in your post.

So, to you and everybody else who is making this conversation stupider for their lack of making a valuable point that contributes to the issue at hand, let me go ahead and tell you how the grown up world works:

This game is a product, right?

It's early access, right?

The pimps want to get rich doing this kind of stuff for a living, right? Everybody has their dreams! Cool! I'd do it if I could!

What do they need, to make a lot of money?

They need loyal customers who give the game a good rating! They also need more customers. What makes more customers? A good rating.

Why do you think Minecraft got bought by Microsoft after so many years on the market?

Despite of what you probably think its not because they both start with "Mi-". Its because, despite how bad the game was in general, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Good ratings give a lot of new customers once the game actually makes it past alpha stage, can even before. That's the point when they want good ratings.

If you had a company that sold a product on a huge platform, would you want to reach 0.5% of the market, 5% of the market or 50% of the market?

The more money you want to make, the more customers have to be happy with your product. It couldn't be simpler. The best marketing is a happy customer. I for example, while I wast still a16-kinda happy, brought 6 new customers to this game. That's good for the pimps! They thought that was fun! There we go, me happy, 6 other people happy, pimps having fun, what could be better, right?

That's the thing you don't get: good customer service and listening to the customer is especially important for as a small developer as TFP. Bethesda or EA have a huge non-critical and fanatical fanboy base (meaning: you!) that will buy any mindless crap for generations to come. Small developers actually have to make a good product to reach their customers. Crap games we can get by the hundreds. Really intelligent and good games are very rare. This is, or used to be a top notch game. I am praising them and am more patriotic about this game than you would ever frigging understand! I am offering my opinion because I want this to be the best game in the world! A lot of people are doing the same, but you're too butt hurt to get that! To have this be the best game in the world it doesn't need critics like me to shut up (duh!), it needs us listened to! Everybody's opinion actually matters for a company that cares. Do they care? I don't know? But I'd hope so.

There is one perspective from which having your kind of knee jerk "don't yuo dare criticis tihs game evaaar!!1" attitude actually makes sense. The problem with that particular perspective is that you, me, what we both think and what all of us on here think, doesn't matter any more at all if the following is true:

That's if they WANT to change the game a lot now in order to reach a completely new audience that hasn't paid for the game yet, abandoning and ditching everybody who HAS already paid for the game up to date. In that case we're all done for and suckered in, including you! Our conversation about this becomes meaningless - because we've already paid, our opinion doesn't matter any more (or does it?).

There is just one small thing they can't ignore about my opinion and everybody else's who doesn't like the changes, because we can still all say our opinion on steam and those of us who aren't happy can give it the thumbs down if we so wish. No thread closing or banning people will change that, in fact, if that happens it only makes things worse. People on Steam actually READ reviews from people like me who have many thousands of hours spent in a game and who say "This isn't as good as it seems and I've abandoned it because...". A well placed review on Steam costs money if it is a negative one and makes money if it's a good one. And if a17 without the x isn't any better than what we have now, then it will go thumbs down in my honest and humble review and everybody will hear about why.

Another reason why my and anybody else's opinion should matter is because everybody who bought the game so far is an early backer. Early access is what that's called. I quote Wikipedia for you to tell you what that means:

"Early access, also known as early funding, alpha-access, or paid-alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can pay (or get it for free) for a game in the various development cycles (pre-alpha, alpha, beta) and obtain access to the pre-full release versions of the game, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue work on the game. Those that pay to participate typically help to debug the game, provide feedback and suggestions, and may have access to special materials in the game."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_access

Look... TFP started a web forum for people to voice their opinions on, you know? I'm wondering what you think about that? Is there an inch of self awareness in your body? Because this is where we are, you know? Helllo... ? If you think I shouldn't have an opinion, then, respectfully, what the f* are you doing here?

Early access is a trust agreement with us customers. Their tough luck if they chose to sell their product that way and that they have to listen to our opinions in a forum they started. Because of them starting a forum, am I actually convinced that they want to hear what we have to say. You wouldn't give people access to voicing their opinions on something if you didn't' want to know.

However, if the devs think like you and think that their early backers' opinion don't matter, then you and they should consider that most of the people programming the game right now would be Whopper floppers if it wasn't for all of us who already gave them an early payday. You better be damn well sure my opinion matters (at least an itsy-tiny bit, but it matters)!

I've had less stutter in a17 and I like the new lighting system, looks more realistic and the burned zombies look friggin amazing. With the brightness issue I find lowering the gamma fixes this.

I agree, the burned and a few other look incredible, I guess they have a lot of updating to do on the old models. I found the gamma thing as well, but in my (oh here I go again with the word that should not be mentioned in the world as we know it today) ... opinion... it's still too washed out.

I really don't want to be rude, but if this is the case, what makes you think everyone else is going to care about what you think?

I don't expect everyone to agree with me to start with (sorry, edit: or everybody to care - as I said I have a microscopic hope that somewhere what I say in my op is going to make the right people think in a somewhat better direction. I'm merely a grain of sand in the desert). I have no problem with other people responding. I get what I deserve and they get back what they deserve. It's the internet. Since when was there ever anything intelligent said on the internet?

Classic entitled opinions. You my friend need to move on to other games instead of ♥♥♥♥ting on this awesome game and awesome update that gave you that much good times.

This is a great example of the attitude that brought the game where it is now. Always defending every change without willing to listen what others have to say about it is no good for the future of the game. Is this game just for a small group of people who strictly follow one vision of what the game should become or are just willing to accept anything developers throw at them, or is this game for mass public, people with all kinds of different opinions and visions about what they wish this game would look like? We all are different, we all don't have to like the same things and this is the place where we all can express our opinions, just saying.

I really don't want to be rude, but if this is the case, what makes you think everyone else is going to care about what you think?

Well the forum is one of many channels where the playerbase can communicate their praises and concerns to the developers.

To care what someone else thinks about one's opinion is not mandatory for posting here..

At least I dont think so. :)

Yup. Considering the bumber of threads of negative impressions of a17 - there is a lot of work to be done by devs.

Level gates - BS. No dmg on beginning and oneshoting on late game - BS. Weapon dmg - BS (magnum 80 dmg and Sniper riffle 50? really? and hunting riffle is completely useless with its 50 dmg too). No recipes books - god gives you knowledge of crafting helicopters. No farming z's for loot - now we farm them even more fot exp, lol. Almost no exp for digging or crafting - just grind tons of zombies, 7dtd diablo edition. Hard survival? - tons of food, but almost no ammo.

Perks are strange and not balanced (some gives dmg or stamina, some are just reload speed. where is dismemberment for example? utility perks are half-baked too - you can make pistol on 20lvl but forged steel, needed for pistol, on 60!), module system unfinished (dye, scope etc gives dmg, most mods are equal and just give stats, almost no mods for instruments). Ore veins are... where they are? TFP said that they are under boulders - never saw any. And digging itself is ruined - no exp, much more time consumed and less resources gained. Vehicles are rather easy to craft, but acid - legendary drop? why no wheels drop now? we can not simply grab them frow floor or car workshops or cars itself? Could make them broken and we need to recraft them to normal for example.

Many problems to list, but the point is one - fun become grind. Yes, spamcraft and skyrim system have their issues, but it at least worked. May be better improve something that already work instead of inventing of bycicle for no reason?

This game has become completely stupid!

The Z became clever, which is perfectly stupid !!!

They find you 100 meters from a cave entrance, even 40 meters underground, it's totally absurd.

It became completely unplayable, the graphics are ugly, the keys of the keyboard are no longer reactive, it takes sometimes 3 seconds for the day to stop once you release the key.

In short ... it's great "anything"!

I can three hit a normal zombie with the starter points and wood club, dead in two seconds.

Guns are for deer, pigs and anything fast . Works great for me.

I found Acid in a quest POI once.

Ore is scarce, but you can do fine if your don't waste the metal. 90% of my iron goes to Rebar frames. Reinforced concrete 3-5 meters thick is still awesome.

The OP raises a lot of valid points and his opinion is just as valid as anyone elses and to some extent I have to agree with him, how many times have we heard madmole say 'its like playing a totally new game' well maybe if thats what he wants then he should make a new game instead of messing with a recipe that was already good.

Totally agree with OP on the mini-dungeon POIs. They are just a total nuisance after the first few. I long for a simple house I can loot in 5 mins and move on. Fill it to the brim with enemies if you like, but making me jump though all these hoops is just tedious. Try playing State of Decay, Pimps, they got it right.

I agree with the OP.

The entire grind to level 20 (that's the earliest level you can unlock anything useful is tedious, long, boring, and repetitive. Just like my summary.

I don't understand why the hardcore fans aren't screaming their lungs out. Don't you see we have 0 freedom now?

If you don't take certain perks, you loose. You'll end up with 1/1 stamina real soon because the drain is so fast. In alpha 16 smart players could make their life easier by taking certain stuff. Now you are 100% obliged to take the same order of perks to get anything done really.

The number 1 fault right now is.... It's a grind game, where grinding is penalized?????????? What kind of messed up logic is that. Grind some wood or stone early game and you're already at 60 stamina maxxed out, without having died. There's no choice, just to eat all the time or you automatically die due to low stam and hp.

I don't think it's a more difficult game. It's just more tedious and boring. And the level gates is way off. I haven't died once in A16, up to night 100 doing every horde melee style. Haven't died now in A17 even with other people gamestages giving me cops and doges when I'm only lvl 10.

The most important change for me was to see how combat was, but the zombies are still all glitchy and teleporting. Plus the sleeper spawn is messed up beyond reason. It does not create a difficult game when a zombie kills you after having teleported behind your back right after you cleared the room already. That's a bug, or a bad feature.

The thing with power attacks is also ridiculous. Only thing it does it make regular attacks obsolete. Why add option B just to make option A obsolete, while option B does the exact same thing as option A used to do ?

A16, kill a zombie with some regular hits to the head.

A17, kill a zombie with 100 regular hits to the head, or some power attacks to the head.

See the resemblance?

I don't know what road the devs want to go but after the 500th crossroads of development I don't know what to hope for anymore.

TLDR, it's an entire different game, it's 0% "harder" just more tedious and stretched.

To end on a positive note.... The only thing that brings a smile to my face is the possibilities with more quests and how quests reset POI's. That interaction seems to work at some length at least.

Batman,

Archived