AK/7.62 - are we in USA? why not AR/M16/M4 with 556?

Lonestarcanuck

I was just watching Joel's new video on perception (really cool BTW). and I was wondering. if 7DTD is in USA, why don't we have AR15 or M16 or M4s instead of AK? the AK is rare in USA compared to AR and with all the us bases overrun by zombies we would have access to a lot of older M16s or newer M4s.

Sadly the AK is truly better in the field then an M16, don't get me wrong, the M16 is a fine piece of machinery, and it performs very well, the problem is maintaining the weapon, take an M16 and an AK 47, and leave them both in a drainage ditch for 6 months, guess which one will work. Hint, it probably won't be the M16.

Not sure why TFP went with the AK, other then the fact that it is commonly associated with senseless violence all too often, like it's chinese cousin the SKS.

You both make good points, the M4 is far better when it comes to maintenance and has replaced the M16 and yes you can burry your AK and pick it up 6 months later and it will work, it sucks for range for the most part but it will work.

Now back to if we are in the USA we would not find a lot of AKs we would find AR, M16, M4, M60, etc. and we would find 308s for hunting riffle and maybe some 303 (old Lee Enfields)

AK uses the same ammo as the sniper rifle, which looks a lot like the FN.

Now, they both use different 7.62 rounds IRL, but close enough for a video game.

yes the AK is much sturdier. It will have survived the apocalypse, the M16s will be trash until/unless repaired.

FN is pretty sturdy too.

5.56 isnt designed to kill anyway, but to wound. It's a Barbie Gun. ppbblltt! on it.

zombies dont' care about wounds. Need something to kill them.

The 9mm pistol, same ammo for SMG. fine. For pistol work you have the magnum. (insert debate over which pistol should be in that class, .44 aka Dirty Harry, .50 Desert Eagle, oorrr, Redneck Rampage .454 Casull.) :p

What Sylen said... but also: 7.62 is the round you use to kill your enemies, 5.56 is the size you use when you're OK with just pissing them off...

i thought the location of the game was in Russia or czech because of the russian sounding name if the map navaezgane

? Navezgane doesn't sound even remotely Slavic...

Hm.. you could make this discussion endless. So why not use a STG-77, or better yet, an STG-A3? Sturdy, packs a punch, uses 5.56mm ammo, and has quite a good range. Besides from that it looks better than the M4 or M16, and is heavily customizable.

Is

a good compensation?

Edit:

Last edited by SylenThunder; 4 Hours Ago at 10:49 PM. Reason: Replaced suspicious link with real one.

@SylenThunder

The link I used wasn't suspicious at all, it's a regular website which allows you to loop a specific part of a youtube video and just so you know, I had to re-edit the link because the one you left there wasn't showing exactly the part I meant to show!

AK uses the same ammo as the sniper rifle, which looks a lot like the FN.

Now, they both use different 7.62 rounds IRL, but close enough for a video game.

yes the AK is much sturdier. It will have survived the apocalypse, the M16s will be trash until/unless repaired.

FN is pretty sturdy too.

5.56 isnt designed to kill anyway, but to wound. It's a Barbie Gun. ppbblltt! on it.

zombies dont' care about wounds. Need something to kill them.

The 9mm pistol, same ammo for SMG. fine. For pistol work you have the magnum. (insert debate over which pistol should be in that class, .44 aka Dirty Harry, .50 Desert Eagle, oorrr, Redneck Rampage .454 Casull.) :p

Someone else might be a John Ringo fan, lol...

Hm.. you could make this discussion endless. So why not use a STG-77, or better yet, an STG-A3? Sturdy, packs a punch, uses 5.56mm ammo, and has quite a good range. Besides from that it looks better than the M4 or M16, and is heavily customizable.

The vast majority of the people who post on the forums are looking for ways to justify TFP design decisions. They are not interested in scrutinizing them with meaningful feedback such as analyzing the location & prevalence of weaponry, and how it doesn't appear to tie into the story line. (Great point OP, I would like to genuinely hear a better response on why it is the way it is).

Probably because there are more AK47's in the world than any other gun ever made.

True but the OP was talking about in the US since the game is set in Navezgane, a fictional county in Arizona. Now I will grant you that if you exclude military bases and police stations and only count the privately owned ones the number of full auto AK/M16/M4's are probably very close indeed. But when you do include those major sources of full auto then yes the US made ones would ofc far outnumber the AK's. Semi auto AK's would almost surely be far outnumbered by semi auto AR 15's as well but there is a significant number of semi AK's around.

Why don't we get them ALL! Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more makeshift weaponry, it being the apocalypse and all...

Archived