Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

30 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Depends on your type of installation: If you installed the game the new A20 way, it is Drive:\[path toinstallation]\Saves.

Huh? All the changes to 7D2D paths in A20 were for one reason: To not need to write into the installation dir (except to install or update the base game) ! The installation dir should only be writable with admin rights. That is why the new path for logfiles is not in the installation dir anymore. And this is also why the Mods folder moved out of the installation dir

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Huh? All the changes to 7D2D paths in A20 were for one reason: To not need to write into the installation dir (except to install or update the base game) ! The installation dir should only be writable with admin rights. That is why the new path for logfiles is not in the installation dir anymore. And this is also why the Mods folder moved out of the installation dir

ofc you're right. And I, too: I meant the DF-installation (the mod), not the 7d2d-installation (the program).

My fault, although: I mistyped  "If you installed the game [..]" where it should be "if you installed the mod [..]". My bad. -.-

Edited by Falaffel (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Pfft. No it wasn't. It was for MS Store stuff because the MS version on the xbox app locks down the folder so you can't access it. 😛

22 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Pfft. No it wasn't. It was for MS Store stuff because the MS version on the xbox app locks down the folder so you can't access it. 😛

Yes, it actually was. I didn't mention where that reason came from because I assumed the MS involvement was generally known. But Microsofts reasons for locking down that folder are very probably those I listed. And partly this is for clean design and stability but mostly for security reasons. Also I am sure that TFP didn't put up much of a fight here because they would have the same reasons for wanting a separation of their install and any additional content, for example for easier support.

And security often has a tradeoff with comfort, but hands up if you prefer your PC and mail account getting hacked from time to time.

PS: Any of you remember how it was in Windows98 where everyone was installing libraries into the windows system dir, what that did to stability and security?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Yes, it actually was. I didn't mention where that reason came from because I assumed the MS involvement was generally known. But Microsofts reasons for locking down that folder are very probably those I listed. And partly this is for clean design and stability but mostly for security reasons. Also I am sure that TFP didn't put up much of a fight here because they would have the same reasons for wanting a separation of their install and any additional content, for example for easier support.

And security often has a tradeoff with comfort, but hands up if you prefer your PC and mail account getting hacked from time to time.

PS: Any of you remember how it was in Windows98 where everyone was installing libraries into the windows system dir, what that did to stability and security?

Counterpoints.

1) MS do it to help prevent hackers.
2) Plenty of other games allow you to install to a Mods folder in the games directory (hi rimworld) AND another folder.

So the change to move entirely to another location as of A22 is not needed.

19 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Counterpoints.

1) MS do it to help prevent hackers.

Which is security 100%, exactly my point. You make a distinction between "friendly" hackers (only MS is interested in keeping them out) and unfriendly hackers (both MS and players are interested in keeping them out) but they are two sides of a coin.

2) Plenty of other games allow you to install to a Mods folder in the games directory (hi rimworld) AND another folder.

I was speaking about the reasons for the change. That doesn't mean that there can't be other solutions, but all solutions have in common that they MUST add locations for logfile and mods outside of the program folder on some platforms at least.

So the change to move entirely to another location as of A22 is not needed.

Is anyone also getting a bunch of reference errors during a bloodmoon horde night? Everytime during bloodmoon when the horde appears I get ton of these errors popping up in the console command and I spend the next 5 mins hitting F1 to close the console. I can't do anything else until it stops. It eventually goes stops appearing when I kill the entire horde. It only happens during a bloodmoon horde, no other times. I would post a pic but don't know how too.

11 minutes ago, Skydor said:

Is anyone also getting a bunch of reference errors during a bloodmoon horde night? Everytime during bloodmoon when the horde appears I get ton of these errors popping up in the console command and I spend the next 5 mins hitting F1 to close the console. I can't do anything else until it stops. It eventually goes stops appearing when I kill the entire horde. It only happens during a bloodmoon horde, no other times. I would post a pic but don't know how too.

A logfile would be better as it would give information that a screenshot lacks.

2 hours ago, Sanzero said:

Day 5, i found blank class paper in tree stump and watch mod in tier 2 POI.
Also tree stump is kinda op for early game, i found more weapon and ammo than any low tier POI.

I'm not complaining but is this normal?

For now, yes :)

2 hours ago, Sanzero said:

Day 5, i found blank class paper in tree stump and watch mod in tier 2 POI.
Also tree stump is kinda op for early game, i found more weapon and ammo than any low tier POI.

I'm not complaining but is this normal?

The class book and watch are pretty rare, so you got SUPER lucky.

I have found a blank class book in a mailbox on day 1 before.

1 hour ago, PoloPoPo said:

Has the feature of some survivors being mobile traders been removed somewhere in the past? Or just SUPER SUPER rare? Only found such a surviror once in countless hours of gameplay so far.

I don't believe they have been removed. At least I don't recall them being removed in a patch notes. You are probably unlucky. I am sure Khaine will comment soon.

Something else I have always wondered: The quest "The Silence of the Lambs", given by the Scout, only spawns in two screamer zombies. Even if they scream, they don't spawn a horde. If I remember correctly this is the same in vanilla 7D2D. However, this quest is way too easy compared to any other quests. So, if possible, I suggest to either spawn much more screamer zombies than only two or, the better option, make them spawn a horde maybe right with the first scream and then once for every minute they are alive. Dependent on your screamer horde size settings this would be a fantastic quest then. But right now, this quest is silly. Two headshots - done.

On 5/1/2023 at 5:15 AM, KhaineGB said:

Screamers NOT spawned by the heat mechanic can't spawn hordes.

Oh. I came to appreciate the tree stumps. Wasn't pleased at first 'cause I was finding polymers and nothing but they can be a great source for turrets early game! It makes sense to me that folks would stash stuff in stumps. 😃 The nests are a bit OP maybe: 30 feathers isn't rare but there are also extra eggs so it's no big deal. We have contests to see who can reach 500 feathers first and love the extra eggs - I figure these chickens are mutants that lay eggs and molt like no one's business. 

Would it be a non-trival task for me to play darkness falls but add the complete compo pack?  I don't care if it makes some or all the quests Eve, Anna, or Razor not doable.  I've finished the DF quests several times, and now I want to play 7 Days to Die with the DF skill system, monsters, and other DF enhancements, plus the full compo pack POIs.