Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

@Laz Man, I'm guessing you don't have a need to visit this part of the forum often. So, these phantom blocks and 'verboten' voxels where a block can't be placed in the game world...have they been addressed in the upcoming Alpha? (with reference to the previous three posts in this thread).

Some are an artefact of POI's - for example house_old_bungalo_11

has a spot  outside the garage that will not allow any block placement on every map I've played. Others seem to be randomly included in a world gen.

Edited by Melange
typo...pretty much always a typo (see edit history)

I'm running into an issue where I decided to try playing a different mod for a while (Age of Oblivion) so I moved all of the DF mod files to a different location outside of the 7d2d folder.  But every time I try to start one of the AOO pregen maps I get errors when it tries to load traders saying that the DF white river scout in the prefab is unknown and skips it, so then none of the traders spawn in the world outside of AOO specific traders.  The problem being that the regular traders like Jen and Joel are supposed to have areas underneath them that have story necessity parts, so if they don't load at all it is impossible to finish the mod story.  On top of moving the mod folders out I have also verified the game files but it still won't load the traders, even with a brand new game start.  Any suggestions short of completely deleting the game and reinstalling?

1 hour ago, Kiernan531 said:

I'm running into an issue where I decided to try playing a different mod for a while (Age of Oblivion) so I moved all of the DF mod files to a different location outside of the 7d2d folder.  But every time I try to start one of the AOO pregen maps I get errors when it tries to load traders saying that the DF white river scout in the prefab is unknown and skips it, so then none of the traders spawn in the world outside of AOO specific traders.  The problem being that the regular traders like Jen and Joel are supposed to have areas underneath them that have story necessity parts, so if they don't load at all it is impossible to finish the mod story.  On top of moving the mod folders out I have also verified the game files but it still won't load the traders, even with a brand new game start.  Any suggestions short of completely deleting the game and reinstalling?

It sounds like you just copied over the mods folder, and overwrote the previous mods folder? I know you said you moved the files/folders out, but I am curious if it may have not just copied them? Whatever the case, delete the old mods folder, and whether it is AOO or DF, then copy the new mods folder into your game folder.

If in doubt, make a new copy of your complete 7 Days to Die folder, then put the new mods folder into that, or make a mods folder and copy the mod contents into it. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, but content getting mixed up between two mods I think is only from mixing up the files/folders.

I've found in the past that you need a fresh install with every overhaul mod. There are files that the game changes while you play that even if you remove the Mods folder will carry over. Recently I made that mistake in the folder that my brother and I use for our shared game. After we did darkness falls I deleted the mod folder from that game and installed Rebirth. I then got an error when looting either a writable chest or a secure storage container. After an uninstall and fresh install that mod works. I currently have 5 versions of the game installed and just rename the directories for whatever overhaul mod I'm in the mood to play. I even have a modded vanilla folder and one that has no mods so I can play on EAC compliant servers.

18 hours ago, SnowBee said:

It sounds like you just copied over the mods folder, and overwrote the previous mods folder? I know you said you moved the files/folders out, but I am curious if it may have not just copied them? Whatever the case, delete the old mods folder, and whether it is AOO or DF, then copy the new mods folder into your game folder.

If in doubt, make a new copy of your complete 7 Days to Die folder, then put the new mods folder into that, or make a mods folder and copy the mod contents into it. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, but content getting mixed up between two mods I think is only from mixing up the files/folders.

I figured it out.  When I first started playing DF I was unaware of the issue with DF specific POIs not loading in random generated worlds.  When they weren't showing up I tried to fix it by copying all the DF specific POIs to the appdata/roaming/7DaysToDie/Mods folder.  That is where it was pulling the info from after I moved the mods out of the main Steam gaming folder.  Once I moved those out everything loaded up normally.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:49 PM, Melange said:

@Laz Man, I'm guessing you don't have a need to visit this part of the forum often. So, these phantom blocks and 'verboten' voxels where a block can't be placed in the game world...have they been addressed in the upcoming Alpha? (with reference to the previous three posts in this thread).

Some are an artefact of POI's - for example house_old_bungalo_11

has a spot  outside the garage that will not allow any block placement on every map I've played. Others seem to be randomly included in a world gen.

In terms of POI's, I know there's a block you can't build on because that's where the quest marker is (the !)

OK, so the questable POI has two voxels, one atop the other, that are reserved for the quest marker. Can't build there. Makes sense. 

These random places in the wild may not be as haphazard as I suspected. If a buried chest is generated to appear once that particular quest has been activated through a trader, then the voxel for the treasure would also be a no-build zone. I suspect these locations are created during a world gen. And if we just so happen to discover one on the side of some mountain whilst terraforming, that could explain it.

My theory anyway. Till proven wrong, I'll live with it.

Must go cull the cow herd now. At least they don't exhibit the 'puppy love' that the boars do, I still feel like I'm in Holstein Hell. If they produced milk, I'd have enough to fill my pond a few times over. lol.  Suppose feeding them hay and placing a scarecrow in the paddock didn't help matters. 

Edited by Melange
No milk so no White River, doh (see edit history)

Is tracking bugged? I have max points in tracking but zombies don't show in 200 meters marked they show in something like 50 meters. Look at my screenshot. Just a normal zombie in front of me is not marked at that distance but when I close him a little bit he is marked. I'm crouched btw!

Screenshot 2023-04-05 015614.png

Also when I drive by one poe this error shows. I'm playing pep version.

Screenshot2023-04-05005126.thumb.png.95f9a6c5540777f29e4bba5bcea9c0c6.png

Edited by LULZ (see edit history)

Does this mod change hordes at all? I am currently running ImprovedHordes on my server with my boys, and we feel our game is coming to an end, so we are looking at Darkness Falls as the next challenge, but we love the crazy hordes that can happen with Improved Hordes. Hoping it's either changed from vanilla, or IH would be compatible.

Thanks

1 hour ago, TheRenegadeFF said:

Does this mod change hordes at all? I am currently running ImprovedHordes on my server with my boys, and we feel our game is coming to an end, so we are looking at Darkness Falls as the next challenge, but we love the crazy hordes that can happen with Improved Hordes. Hoping it's either changed from vanilla, or IH would be compatible.

Thanks

You can adjust the horde numbers & frequency in the menu settings for DF.

So has anyone else gotten an issue where the Cobblestone Frame Shapes for the 2 of 6 Laborer quest don't get counted as crafted unless you stay in the workbench and watch them craft? Is there any way to just get this objective done without crafting more damn frames to make up for what I wasn't given credit for?

56 minutes ago, DrGnome said:

So has anyone else gotten an issue where the Cobblestone Frame Shapes for the 2 of 6 Laborer quest don't get counted as crafted unless you stay in the workbench and watch them craft? Is there any way to just get this objective done without crafting more damn frames to make up for what I wasn't given credit for?

Make them in your backpack, or watch them get crafted in the workbench

8 hours ago, DrGnome said:

This happen to all mission objectives at all overhauls.

When you NEED to craft something, the game need to see that crafting and this only happen when you craft it at your inventory or when you have the crafting station open.

8 hours ago, HeliCop said:

White River Supply Scout is only giving night time missions and not the new options how do I fix? or is there no way to fix this?

Seems like it is taking the old quests from vanilla 7DtD and not from Darkness Falls

plz help 

Apparently this is a bug related to the RWG. It seems that if a POI is located at the 0,0 point on the map you will unfortunately have this bug. Best to play with the pre-gen DF maps that Khaine provided. To fix the problem, you would need to remove the particular POI that is at that location, which for many is not that easy to do.

Possibly a stupid question but does anyone know where Darkness Falls saves the game world in single player? Have an issue with my PC and found that some reboots mid game will delete the world so was hoping I could back it up so I don't lose everything each time. Should be clear the crash isn't DF's or 7D2D's fault.... waiting on my new box to arrive :).

I'd found the default location for 7D2D but never see the DF worlds in there.... I use a second copy of 7D2D to run DF on so not sure if that causes a conflict or something (the two folders are in the same path, just one is the default 7D2D name and the DF one has - darkness falls on the end :))

Thanks in advance, and I love the mod Khaine really extends the base game and completely broke my "no mods" attitude to 7D2D.... no idea why I thought that for so long :)

2 hours ago, CallidusUK said:

Possibly a stupid question but does anyone know where Darkness Falls saves the game world in single player? Have an issue with my PC and found that some reboots mid game will delete the world so was hoping I could back it up so I don't lose everything each time. Should be clear the crash isn't DF's or 7D2D's fault.... waiting on my new box to arrive :).

I'd found the default location for 7D2D but never see the DF worlds in there.... I use a second copy of 7D2D to run DF on so not sure if that causes a conflict or something (the two folders are in the same path, just one is the default 7D2D name and the DF one has - darkness falls on the end :))

Thanks in advance, and I love the mod Khaine really extends the base game and completely broke my "no mods" attitude to 7D2D.... no idea why I thought that for so long :)

I'm very sure it is the same location vanilla stores its worlds and saves. Notice there are world definition files AND gamesaves and they are separate. And you have to backup only the gamesave if you fear crashes, because only the gamesave is written to on a constant basis.

In windows you would normally find gamesaves, worlds, even logfiles now, below C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie

21 minutes ago, meganoth said:

In windows you would normally find gamesaves, worlds, even logfiles now, below C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie

Depends on your type of installation: If you installed the game the new A20 way, it is Drive:\[path toinstallation]\Saves.

On the other hand, if you installed this way, you would already know :)

43 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I'm very sure it is the same location vanilla stores its worlds and saves. Notice there are world definition files AND gamesaves and they are separate. And you have to backup only the gamesave if you fear crashes, because only the gamesave is written to on a constant basis.

17 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Depends on your type of installation: If you installed the game the new A20 way, it is Drive:\[path toinstallation]\Saves.

On the other hand, if you installed this way, you would already know :)

Awesome, thanks a lot Meganoth, Falaffel :) thought it was there but didn't see the world name, so probably just my brain derp'ing :D

Edited by CallidusUK (see edit history)