Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Rebirth has classes too, but the progression is different. Furious Ramsey (the mod creator) Guns Nerds and Steel and Genosis have playthroughs of it on their channels if you want to watch someone play it. I'll try to explain quickly. After the intro quest (which it totally different from Vanilla) you will be directed to pick a class, say soldier, The classes level separately from you. So you could be level 10 (from crafting, building, killing Zombies)  but your class level will be 1 or 2. You level the class by attacking with the class weapon. For the soldier it's axes (newbie weapon is an iron fireaxe). Every kill levels the weapon. When the weapon's level equals the class level, every kill raises the class level until it levels. At level 2 soldier you are given a level action rifle and given the ability to level in that. Furious Ramsey has a whole line of additional weapons for each class. For example, the Soldier's axes at around soldier level 4 (I think) you get the ability to make the steel axe and a viking axe. The Steel axe is the standard vanilla harvesting tool, but the Viking axe is a 1 handed axe for killing. Most weapons have variant the Machine Gun line (starting with the M60) goes into miniguns. Once you hit level 10 in the class (which by that time you'll be in the high 80's) you can dual class into another class and start leveling that up.

Just to make sure, repairable vehicles are still in version 4.1.2, right?

I think I've found all the update notes since I last played (repairable vehicles were in then), and I don't see anything about them having been removed again, on the contrary it seems like they've had some improvements.

I just can't find any. I've spent days scouring three large cities in my map (DFalls-Medium2-NoPEP) and haven't found anything at all, not even bikes. In previous games I always found several very early on, so this feels a bit odd.

Based on what I saw back then, I'm guessing they randomly replace wrecked vehicles in certain POIs, but I've checked the type of POIs I found them in and there aren't any.

Could just be very bad RNG in that case, which wouldn't be a first for me, but I wanted to check.

12 minutes ago, Similar said:

Just to make sure, repairable vehicles are still in version 4.1.2, right?

I think I've found all the update notes since I last played (repairable vehicles were in then), and I don't see anything about them having been removed again, on the contrary it seems like they've had some improvements.

I just can't find any. I've spent days scouring three large cities in my map (DFalls-Medium2-NoPEP) and haven't found anything at all, not even bikes. In previous games I always found several very early on, so this feels a bit odd.

Based on what I saw back then, I'm guessing they randomly replace wrecked vehicles in certain POIs, but I've checked the type of POIs I found them in and there aren't any.

Could just be very bad RNG in that case, which wouldn't be a first for me, but I wanted to check.

Quite likely bad RNG. With them being only the bicycle, motorbike and mini, I guess they can be quite smallish to spot as well.

42 minutes ago, SnowBee said:

Quite likely bad RNG. With them being only the bicycle, motorbike and mini, I guess they can be quite smallish to spot as well.

yeah, I feel like I've taken that into account (as well as my nearsightedness), so I'm probably just having really bad luck.

I just got worried something was broken in my installation, but I don't know why it'd be and everything else seems to work like it should.

I guess Mechanic will be my next class then (I have a minibike, but trader reset day is 11km of puttering slowly from trader to trader, so I need something that doesn't make me feel like I need to get out and push).

2 hours ago, Similar said:

yeah, I feel like I've taken that into account (as well as my nearsightedness), so I'm probably just having really bad luck.

I just got worried something was broken in my installation, but I don't know why it'd be and everything else seems to work like it should.

I guess Mechanic will be my next class then (I have a minibike, but trader reset day is 11km of puttering slowly from trader to trader, so I need something that doesn't make me feel like I need to get out and push).

You can put more points into the minibike perk and unlock the motorcycle and 4x4.

Dont be allergic to spending points. 😛

2 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

You can put more points into the minibike perk and unlock the motorcycle and 4x4.

Dont be allergic to spending points. 😛

heh. Of course, I found all the Vehicles for Dumb@%$#s books right after I started Mechanic, but I do like using junk turrets too, so it's okay (or, it would be if I could ever manage to loot a battery; just spent two hours wrenching cars without getting one).

Edited by Similar (see edit history)

I don't know if this is of interest at all, but I just noticed that in 4.1.2, titanium boots (might be the case for other titanium armor parts too; I didn't think to test that at first and then I couldn't afford to) scrap to military fiber, which seems like it might not be intended considering that crafting them doesn't involve military fiber.

I can't craft military fiber yet, so it did allow me to craft certain things earlier than I probably should have been able to (Advanced Tactical Rigging and the Large Backpack, for example).

Granted, I'm one level from being able to craft the fiber, so it's not exactly a huge exploit, but I guess it could be if you don't have Scientist at all.

3 hours ago, Similar said:

I don't know if this is of interest at all, but I just noticed that in 4.1.2, titanium boots (might be the case for other titanium armor parts too; I didn't think to test that at first and then I couldn't afford to) scrap to military fiber, which seems like it might not be intended considering that crafting them doesn't involve military fiber.

I can't craft military fiber yet, so it did allow me to craft certain things earlier than I probably should have been able to (Advanced Tactical Rigging and the Large Backpack, for example).

Granted, I'm one level from being able to craft the fiber, so it's not exactly a huge exploit, but I guess it could be if you don't have Scientist at all.

I DID notice that while updating to A21. Should be fixed now

Last statement from Khaine is at minimum Alpha 21.1 Edit: well now It's "When it's ready"

I understand wanting to play it but as someone who's played it in A19 and A20 he has a lot of work to do to get it to work. I went looking for it, but can't find it now. He did state on Twitter that it was looking like September, but with at glitchy as 7d2d is on a good day, "You'll see it when you see it."

Edited by wanderinpaladin (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, wanderinpaladin said:

Last statement from Khaine is at minimum Alpha 21.1 Edit: well now It's "When it's ready"

I understand wanting to play it but as someone who's played it in A19 and A20 he has a lot of work to do to get it to work. I went looking for it, but can't find it now. He did state on Twitter that it was looking like September, but with at glitchy as 7d2d is on a good day, "You'll see it when you see it."

A21.1 is still pretty likely tbh. As of right now, i've got 7 XML files left to do just to get the mod to boot enough for basic testing (items, blocks, entities, quests, POIs)

Then I need to redo all the loot and trader inventories...

22 minutes ago, wanderinpaladin said:

Well, the 21.1 release for DF is a statement on the "stable" version. For many experimental is good enough, so he indicated he may release earlier experimental versions while 21.0 is running. I am sure many are hoping for that, though I think most wait for stable. :)

On 7/19/2023 at 1:19 AM, KhaineGB said:

When it's ready

BlewBarry Farms mod is far smaller and less comprehensive and the expected two weeks to update to a21 turned into two months...

i suspect a21 DF might be out by october based on our experiences and how much larger DF is, and that's an optimistic estimate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...