Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

On 5/16/2023 at 10:51 PM, Sword Chucks said:

Is there an easy way to know if updating will break a save? We have a late game DF group game going on A20.5. Some other friends want to start a second game but they are on A20.7. If the 20.5 players update will we break our save? (almost to labs and lasers so we are nervous haha).

20.5 -> 20.7 is 100% a save break.

Why are you still on 20.5 after this many months? That save should've been done and updated to 20.6 (which IS safe going to 20.7) ages ago.

7 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Trader's are no longer protected! Take care of your local business!

Time REMOVED from under the compass and on the map. Added to the trader window (under restock time). Or you can make a watch!

Can I somehow change these 2 points before installing on my server? I really want the traders to be protected and the time to be seen

20 minutes ago, nigan555 said:

Trader's are no longer protected! Take care of your local business!

Time REMOVED from under the compass and on the map. Added to the trader window (under restock time). Or you can make a watch!

Can I somehow change these 2 points before installing on my server? I really want the traders to be protected and the time to be seen

Being blunt, this isn't the mod for you then.

You CAN turn the trader protection back on if you want to do some XML edting.

Time is non-negotiable. Make a watch.

I did not find the lack of displayed time to be a major obstacle in playing this mod at all. Yes, initally one can't push their work for the day to the limit because one is not certain where that limit is. Ambient audio will trigger the crickets sound at 19:00 hours. Its up to the player to determine how long to be outside of base before 22:00 hours. Play (plan) accordingly. And crafting a watch isn't such a big deal, just need the right workstation.  I was lucky, often found a watch in loot before I was able to craft one. If you're running the server, I suppose you could just spawn in a watch for each player. Problem solved (but its not what the mod author intended).

Look, the zombies are after you. They're not after the Trader. A random horde may cause some grief, and on horde night if the Trader is between you and the incoming horde, well that may prove to be a problem for Trader Jen. I've logged a few hundred hours in the mod (SP) and not lost a Trader yet.

You and your mates will have fun with it. Or your money back.

36 minutes ago, Melange said:

I did not find the lack of displayed time to be a major obstacle in playing this mod at all. Yes, initally one can't push their work for the day to the limit because one is not certain where that limit is. Ambient audio will trigger the crickets sound at 19:00 hours. Its up to the player to determine how long to be outside of base before 22:00 hours. Play (plan) accordingly. And crafting a watch isn't such a big deal, just need the right workstation.  I was lucky, often found a watch in loot before I was able to craft one. If you're running the server, I suppose you could just spawn in a watch for each player. Problem solved (but its not what the mod author intended).

Look, the zombies are after you. They're not after the Trader. A random horde may cause some grief, and on horde night if the Trader is between you and the incoming horde, well that may prove to be a problem for Trader Jen. I've logged a few hundred hours in the mod (SP) and not lost a Trader yet.

You and your mates will have fun with it. Or your money back.

There's also a VERY subtle ambient audio change at 12:00

And the time is on all traders and working vending machines :)

My solution for early-game-lack-of-watch was to just look at the Sun's position.  I'd estimate it's progress to or from the horizon relative to being overhead (Noon).If you're in a building, just look out a window.  You can sort of do the same at night with the position of the Moon or the light of dusk/dawn.  During a cloudy day it can be a bit tough, but it's usually pretty clear where the sun is behind the clouds.  It was super effective, so I don't often use a watch even when I could make one.

11 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

20.5 -> 20.7 is 100% a save break.

Why are you still on 20.5 after this many months? That save should've been done and updated to 20.6 (which IS safe going to 20.7) ages ago.

Dang.

That's because we are dumb casuals that only play like once a week, 100% our fault.

Love the mod, keep up the good work. Loved your involvement with the Neebs guys.

On 5/18/2023 at 4:18 PM, Melange said:

I suppose you could just spawn in a watch for each player.

So with a watch i will be abble to see the time? Or i need to use it everytime i want to know?

On 5/18/2023 at 2:43 PM, KhaineGB said:

You CAN turn the trader protection back on if you want to do some XML edting.

Is there any instruction how to do it?

Edited by nigan555 (see edit history)

On 5/18/2023 at 5:54 AM, KhaineGB said:

I've even heard of a guy still playing A16!

3 minutes ago, nigan555 said:

So with a watch i will be abble to see the time? Or i need to use it everytime i want to know?

[...]

It's a mod for gloves that shows the time permanently, as long as you wear it.

7 hours ago, Falaffel said:

It's a mod for gloves that shows the time permanently, as long as you wear it.

Yes, I didn't mention that it is indeed a mod for gloves. Once installed in the glove, and the glove is worn by the player, game time is constantly shown on the player's display.

And as far as editing the XML to turn on Trader protection, I can almost guarantee that KhaineGB will avoid offering assistance. Why? Firstly, because he wants Trader protection off, and secondly he hasn't the time nor inclination to tutor someone in editing the XML. You might want to start a new thread under the MODS heading and ask for help with that one. And I wouldn't know where to start.... Good luck mate 👍

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

14 hours ago, nigan555 said:

Too bad( I Even ready to donate to person who will help me with time and traders...

Don't give up! Post a request in the "Discussions and Request" part of this forum. There are many people who maybe can help you. I think if your post is "Help with time and traders in Darkness Falls" and you explain what you want, someone could help. Hao ma?

10 hours ago, nigan555 said:

Okay, I don't care about the clock, but can someone here tell me what exactly to change in the code so that traders are protected as before?

Try changing the following line in the POI files for each trader - Never done this before so not sure if this is the method of turning trader protection on/off

What Khaine has set it to

<property name="TraderAreaProtect" value="-41,0,-40" />

What vanilla is set to

<property name="TraderAreaProtect" value="20,0,20" />

The files will be xml files and start with trader_NAMEofTRADER.  Each trader has their own file.

25 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Try changing the following line in the POI files for each trader - Never done this before so not sure if this is the method of turning trader protection on/off

What Khaine has set it to

<property name="TraderAreaProtect" value="-41,0,-40" />

What vanilla is set to

<property name="TraderAreaProtect" value="20,0,20" />

The files will be xml files and start with trader_NAMEofTRADER.  Each trader has their own file.

I don't know if this is still an issue, but Khaine has suggested in the past that this will lead to NRE's and crash the game. However, that was when there were guards and a guard captain in the Traders. Unsure if the White River Scout fits into that now, but probably.

4 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

I don't think it breaks the game.

Yeah, I guess not. It was an old statement you made in December 2020 on your discord about not turning protection back on as it would crash the game because of the "guards, guard captain, survivors and bandits". That was probably A19 as well.

After installing mod on server

Success! App '294420' already up to date.
:/home/container$ ./7DaysToDieServer.x86_64 -configfile=serverconfig.xml -quit -batchmode -nographics -dedicated -ServerPort=${SERVER_PORT} -ServerMaxPlayerCount=${MAX_PLAYERS} -GameDifficulty=${GAME_DIFFICULTY} -ControlPanelEnabled=false -TelnetEnabled=true -TelnetPort=8081 -logfile logs/latest.log & echo -e "Checking on telnet connection" && until nc -z -v -w5 127.0.0.1 8081; do echo "Waiting for telnet connection..."; sleep 5; done && telnet -E 127.0.0.1 8081
Checking on telnet connection
localhost [127.0.0.1] 8081 (tproxy) : Connection refused
Waiting for telnet connection...
Set current directory to /home/container
Found path: /home/container/7DaysToDieServer.x86_64

1 hour ago, nigan555 said:

After installing mod on server

This problem is solved, but now i can't connect to my server because it says wrong version or need to install mod, but i already installed on server and on my client!

What is the quest id\name for meeting Razor, or is there a way to reset The White River Rep\Quest line?

I think I found it <quest id="whiteriver_visit_razor"> Though I am worried when I get there he will not trust me even though Whiteriver rep is 50.

I messed up when we first started our server and used Pregen6k instead of DFPregen6k.  So I learned how to move our base and Characters with Skills and Levels intact. I found how to give the Find Anna quest but not how to meet Razor and the white river scouts don't offer anything under "Do you Have any other work". I don't want to wipe the Factions file completely though. 

Edited by Crimsonmortis (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Crimsonmortis said:

What is the quest id\name for meeting Razor, or is there a way to reset The White River Rep\Quest line?

I think I found it <quest id="whiteriver_visit_razor"> Though I am worried when I get there he will not trust me even though Whiteriver rep is 50.

I messed up when we first started our server and used Pregen6k instead of DFPregen6k.  So I learned how to move our base and Characters with Skills and Levels intact. I found how to give the Find Anna quest but not how to meet Razor and the white river scouts don't offer anything under "Do you Have any other work". I don't want to wipe the Factions file completely though. 

Shamelessly stolen from the FAQ: You can use the following commands to give yourself the quest (requires admin) For Razor (given by the white river scout after doing 10 missions for her): givequest whiteriver_visit_razor  

Edited by Falaffel (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

Shamelessly stole from the FAQ: You can use the following commands to give yourself the quest (requires admin) For Razor (given by the white river scout after doing 10 missions for her): givequest whiteriver_visit_razor - admin rights needed

When I gave myself the whiteriver_visit_razor he does offer additional work but no open trade routes yet trying to do a couple quick quests for him to test if anna pops up.

Also is there a way as Admin I can give others the quest or just give it to myself then share quest as normal?

Edited by Crimsonmortis (see edit history)

So I can get our game back on track with the givequest and party share quest one list issue not Darkness falls doing but mistake I made moving our base over.

Looks like I destroyed all inventory in the storage chests of our base, I knew they world be empty in the new world but when I went and loaded the old world to go "Pack for the move" all the chests are empty. 

Pretty sure this is the result of using the save poi function and since I was not smart enough to make a back up copy before messing with the world file\map everything is gone forever.