Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Why though. We have NEVER needed this before? Now all of a sudden zombies need to show damage? I keep hearing "dont mind the bars they are just in here for devs to work on stuff" but yet we KEEP seeing them. I mean if they are going in, nows probably a good time to confirm so I can make plans to remove their coddling nature.

I'm pretty sure it has been explained. They feel that with zombies with regen you have to have some indication that you are doing enough damage to eventually kill it. I would rather it not be a HP bar but they do have a point. If you can't tell a zombie is being damaged from visual clues, then regen is an issue. A bigger issue than they probably intend.

Maybe they will come up with a better way. As long as they get rid of the bar showing up on zombies just because you moused across them, I can live with it. While I don't like the bar, being able to spot a hidden sleeper is the only game breaking aspect. The other part just sucks but is probably something I could get used to.

Yes, this. As much as I love Roland i think that idea is terrible. The compass, yea. But the rest? Well, just no. With all due respect, NO lol.

If people want to play without a ui, let them waste there points. Ya know F7 works too lol.

You would really have that big an issue with having to make a watch before the time shows up on your screen? As long as it is something you can find/make why not? More game play.

(first please google "concept artist", you may not be aware exactly what that is. I did too just to be sure)

They might already have concept pictures of more stuff than they ever have the time to include in the game.

Concept art is also 3d modeling and the like. It could include new POI's, vehicles and bandits.

You would really have that big an issue with having to make a watch before the time shows up on your screen? As long as it is something you can find/make why not? More game play.

With the added bonus that you can work out the time of day roughly from the sun as long as you know the position of the sun, the rough direction of north, and the length of day.

Concept art is also 3d modeling and the like. It could include new POI's, vehicles and bandits.

Pretty sure the 3d modeling comes after the conceptual drawing fase. So pictures of new POI's, vehicles and bandits -> yes.

Fully developed game ready 3d models -> no

Cheers

From wikipedia:

Concept art is a form of illustration used to convey an idea for use in films, video games, animation, comic books, or other media before it is put into the final product.[1] Concept art usually refers to world-building artwork used to inspire the development of media products, and is not the same as visual development art or concept design, though all three are often confused.

Consider yourself confused :fat:

You might have a different or wider definition, but it is highly probable that Gazz meant it like defined above, otherwise his post would make no sense. Oh, wait, his posts never make sense :fat:

going for realism / immersion here? So the player can craft a wristwatch? thats amazing, worlds greatest craftsman.

It could. But that type of work is heavily "front loaded" on a dev project. The closer to completion the less of that type of work there will be. Those employees need something to do and the next project is where they should be used. That is the best investment of their time. The next project could be DLC for the current project or an entirely new project.

But if anyone from TFP even hints at something like that there are people on the forums who act like their significant other just announced they are cheating on them.

- - - Updated - - -

going for realism / immersion here? So the player can craft a wristwatch? thats amazing, worlds greatest craftsman.

Where did I use the term realism? I think it would be a good addition to game play. I can't make a house out of a pile of precut lumber so me building anything in game is not realistic. I still like to build.

Concept art by pimps:

All drawn pictures.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Diary-Alpha-17!!!&p=738885#post738885

My guess is the role of concept art artist at TFP is drawing the concepts. So yeah at near end of development they dont have really much to do and could go ahead and work ahead for the next game or DLC's.

Cheers

Or have perks to remove each individual part of the hud. I for one like the hud. Let Roland blow his hard earned skill points; assuming there will still be skill points, on clearing his screen.

Yes, this. As much as I love Roland i think that idea is terrible. The compass, yea. But the rest? Well, just no. With all due respect, NO lol.

If people want to play without a ui, let them waste there points. Ya know F7 works too lol.

If you really love me Kage then you will look for invisible HUD on Sphereii's Mod Launcher and record a session trying it out--for me. As much as you guys who love your HUD elements like to theorize about how awful the game would be without them, once you are forced to use environmental clues and pay attention to time and direction yourself, it is like a whole new game. A really really really new good extremely cinematic game. Please go give it a try! (And F7 is garbage compared to the invisible HUD mod. You need the mod so you have full functionality while the HUD is gone. Anyone who thinks they've tried invisible HUD by pressing F7 is fooling themselves.) :)

If they reversed my idea I would be happy to spend my hard earned skill points on that even though it would make zero sense thematically....lol

If you really love me Kage then you will look for invisible HUD on Sphereii's Mod Launcher and record a session trying it out--for me. As much as you guys who love your HUD elements like to theorize about how awful the game would be without them, once you are forced to use environmental clues and pay attention to time and direction yourself, it is like a whole new game. A really really really new good extremely cinematic game. Please go give it a try! (And F7 is garbage compared to the invisible HUD mod. You need the mod so you have full functionality while the HUD is gone. Anyone who thinks they've tried invisible HUD by pressing F7 is fooling themselves.) :)

If they reversed my idea I would be happy to spend my hard earned skill points on that even though it would make zero sense thematically....lol

I liked your perception perk idea for the HP bars. Maybe make the perk more of a probability? If you have a low perception, sometimes the bar won't appear? The higher the perception the more likely it gets displayed? Get the highest amount in the perk and You're a Master and it always displays? idk just ideas..

That's deep, man!

Hahaha. Emphasis on "drawing" not "concepts" ;)

Was talking about the ones that thought concept artists would 3d model some POI's, Verhicles and bandits into the current game :D

Just to temper expectations ghe ghe.

Cheers

Your right; if given the option to play without a hud i probably would. I loved grounded on tlou. However; I'd like to see the perks to have more substance than just add/removing hud.

Nah. It's just a few kids who never had to run a company or coordinate a team. Can't even blame 'em for it.

There's a natural order to many tasks and if you break up that order, you better be a wizard.

This I totally disagree with!

You CAN and SHOULD blame them for it. If you are unable to tell the difference between:

I know it's this way, so I'll write it.

And:

I think it's this way, so it must be.

If you dont know about something because you haven't tried it/lived it. Then at least ask! Or give your opinion intelligently.

Imagine if people like that remembered all their stupid comments, when they eventually learn better.

How would they feel?

Good thing humans are hardwired to forget the bad and remember the good.

At this point the only reason TFP have to leave HP bars as standard for every single zombie would be to annoy Roland in an epic troll.
Even better? Only Roland's version of A17 has giant HP bars for the zombies...hard-coded.

We kid because we love.

i wish there is drowned town, which require diving equipment to explore, and zombie sharks as a threat ( of course never gonna happen, but can dream lol ) :miserable:

No reason TFP cant make a DLC underwater/underground adventure. $5.99 For a nice sized one And $9.99-$19.99 for an epic sized one. :)

i wish there is drowned town, which require diving equipment to explore, and zombie sharks as a threat ( of course never gonna happen, but can dream lol ) :miserable:

I think that bug was fixed for A16.

If I remember correctly I think it was A15 that had seeds capable of producing drowned towns. Given the current water system it didn't look good and I don't think it was an intentional mechanic. :-)

Archived