Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I too use Xbox controller for my PC. As for streaming to the TV, my nvidia shield tablet does that very well. You do need an nvidia GPU to make that work, but is freaking sweet.

Can also still play my PC games while in the hospital (health problems suck) a bit of lag using their internet though. Beats watching the limited cable channel's.

even in navazgane and cities in RWG there is still a 1 voxel height difference from road to house. you can see it on MM's recent twitter. where the parked cars are where the kerb goes into the poi for parking...

as for consoles im a computer/PC guy. started with a Vic 20..lol only 1 reason i got a PS2 was GT2 i got a PS3 for GT4 and 5. neither get played at all now. i play GT2 on an emulator ePSXe .

There there now, it's OK to come out these days and admit your a console-holic. Why I know a guy who knows a guy who admits to playing consoles.

Yep, no shame in it at all. There's a club around our way where console players go to play together, it's a dark and dingy place with a sticky floor... erm... so I'm told.

May I recommend spending a few hours on the newer alphas? I mean, 5k hours in A1 is admirable, but the game is no longer "beatable" in 2 hours. =)

I get that you are trying to be funny. But on pve there are certain designs that are achivable under 2 hours even from just wood and there you go zombies are done. As for being fully geared maybe 2 real days. You might have no ideea about some approaches towards the game since probably you play pve. But playing pvp pushes you to find efficient ways of dealing with the zombies/leveling/and gearing up.

Beat the game in 2 hours? You technacally can't "beat the game" because it has no scripted end. It takes far longer than 2 hours to even get established, you mean to tell me you got concrete/steel buildings steel tools at 450-500+ quality, a minibike and a ton of weapons and ammo by day 3? The problem with pvp in these games is the games are meant for a pve experence mostly, and pvp pretty much kills that aspect as the only threat then is other players. I don't even like playing 7dtd multiplayer co-op because to me the game gets way to easy when you have mutiple people working together. If you can "beat the game in 2 hours" pvp should be good, since your fully geared in 2 hours or less.

Try playing 7dtd on insane by yourself, in single player, its a joke with multiple people, but try doing it on your own, its not nearly as easy.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember that, what happened to that water in the later alpha's that it got downgraded so much?

By beating the game i was refering dealing with the zombies threat horde. and if you set your goal to stop a horde you can easly be prepared for that in 2 hours. and from there everything gets easier. As being geared up maybe 3 real days. The game i guess by mistake has a great ideea for pvp. The minecraft building style on a big map with big height and depth is almost useless for sp/coop but is incredible for pvp where you have no limit on your creativity that is challenged by real people that have no limit on their own trying to raid you and vice versa. Zombies as Ai, are neither scary or hard to kill at any difficulty once you learn the patterns, but they work amazing in pvp when they can appear in the most unexpected situations changing the whole dynamic of the fight,raid,siege etc. Map size (randomgen) is almost useless for sp/coop as you can just stay in a area rotating between cities at some point, while it is amazing for pvp where you can chase/track people, you are forced to set out in big journeys since stuff gets looted all time and also making territories for clans. And since i talked about loot, loot abundance for sp/coop is way to much no matter what there is no sense of urgency or value while on pvp obviously everything has more meaning and value. Looting itself is a boring thing on sp/coop sure you can die and you can have a bag and might be a little bit annoying, But oh boy how fun and challenging is to go looting while you know you could lose everything, and have to pay attention to sounds, signs of other surivors and so on. Building, sure many options and really nice system, but on coop/sp you really really dont need to use reinf concrete steel or oiled steel with a proper design and traps your base is just fine even if it is just a square there is no need for any creativity. And i can go on and on with every aspect or ideea of the game that works as a miracle for pvp and is mediocre or below for sp/coop. I truly belive and i dont wanna offend anyone that people that root/love the pve of this game didnt tried pvp or they didnt give it time on pvp, just got killed lost some stuff and ragequitted or something. The game is 10 times more rewarding, more challenging and more fun on a pvp either if you play in a group or solo, because this game is not like Rust Ark etc it has really not the same feel on pvp where you have waves of toxic kids or players that play few hours then quit the server, On every 7dtd pvp server I played there such an amazing feel where you have "The nice guys" fully geared that help others, "The traders" ppl that are allways setting up shop make deals etc. You have "The Bad Guys" and here gets interesting is not just pvp tends to get personal with people developing rivalries dragging sometimes whole server in alliances and world wars. "The Duo/TRio" sometimes they are good some are bad but allways some of them at every city. And obviously "The hermits".

By beating the game i was refering dealing with the zombies threat horde. and if you set your goal to stop a horde you can easly be prepared for that in 2 hours. and from there everything gets easier. As being geared up maybe 3 real days. The game i guess by mistake has a great ideea for pvp. The minecraft building style on a big map with big height and depth is almost useless for sp/coop but is incredible for pvp where you have no limit on your creativity that is challenged by real people that have no limit on their own trying to raid you and vice versa. Zombies as Ai, are neither scary or hard to kill at any difficulty once you learn the patterns, but they work amazing in pvp when they can appear in the most unexpected situations changing the whole dynamic of the fight,raid,siege etc. Map size (randomgen) is almost useless for sp/coop as you can just stay in a area rotating between cities at some point, while it is amazing for pvp where you can chase/track people, you are forced to set out in big journeys since stuff gets looted all time and also making territories for clans. And since i talked about loot, loot abundance for sp/coop is way to much no matter what there is no sense of urgency or value while on pvp obviously everything has more meaning and value. Looting itself is a boring thing on sp/coop sure you can die and you can have a bag and might be a little bit annoying, But oh boy how fun and challenging is to go looting while you know you could lose everything, and have to pay attention to sounds, signs of other surivors and so on. Building, sure many options and really nice system, but on coop/sp you really really dont need to use reinf concrete steel or oiled steel with a proper design and traps your base is just fine even if it is just a square there is no need for any creativity. And i can go on and on with every aspect or ideea of the game that works as a miracle for pvp and is mediocre or below for sp/coop. I truly belive and i dont wanna offend anyone that people that root/love the pve of this game didnt tried pvp or they didnt give it time on pvp, just got killed lost some stuff and ragequitted or something. The game is 10 times more rewarding, more challenging and more fun on a pvp either if you play in a group or solo, because this game is not like Rust Ark etc it has really not the same feel on pvp where you have waves of toxic kids or players that play few hours then quit the server, On every 7dtd pvp server I played there such an amazing feel where you have "The nice guys" fully geared that help others, "The traders" ppl that are allways setting up shop make deals etc. You have "The Bad Guys" and here gets interesting is not just pvp tends to get personal with people developing rivalries dragging sometimes whole server in alliances and world wars. "The Duo/TRio" sometimes they are good some are bad but allways some of them at every city. And obviously "The hermits".

I'd disagree with you completely. The minecraft style is great for non PvE watching people build thousands of different base ideas and be creative.

If your only goal is to stop the hordes and you choose to use exploits or techniques to break the AI then thats your choice.

Skyrim can be beaten in 40 minutes if thats your goal. Morrowind can be beaten in under 5 minutes, Super Mario World can be beaten in under 10 minutes.

All of those involve "beating" a game, but none of those would be an accurate representation of how much fun comes from playing the game and NOT beating it.

If your sole goal is to "beat" the game and to PvP then this is not the game for you, and its not the developers intent to make it the game for you. Closer to release they will focus more on PvP and options. Most people i've played with in coop don't cheese AI and actually build real forts and bases.

So if your bored go play Rust, Ark, etc. Then come back and check on 7 days to die later. This game doesn't need to be another Rust, or another Ark, and judging by TFP's success they are clearly doing well in differentiating themselves from all the other pvp games out there

snip

So if your bored go play Rust, Ark, etc. Then come back and check on 7 days to die later. This game doesn't need to be another Rust, or another Ark, and judging by TFP's success they are clearly doing well in differentiating themselves from all the other pvp games out there

I don't think ForWar01 is trying to rile feathers here, and he certainly doesn't want to just 'give up' and wait for a later 7dtd iteration. I agree with what he's saying from the standpoint that 7dtd is in a unique situation where its PvP could be a game changer for the genre with a little love from the devs. I understand PvP is not their goal, but this is the dev diary and this is exactly the place for civilized discussion; who knows, a modder may be able to get some ideas at the very least.

It seems we have a PvP'r who doesn't start a post off with "the dev's stink" "PvE'rs are wusses" etc.

Don't chase him away :smile-new:

edit: I think that's Roland's job:wink-new:

I don't think ForWar01 is trying to rile feathers here, and he certainly doesn't want to just 'give up' and wait for a later 7dtd iteration. I agree with what he's saying from the standpoint that 7dtd is in a unique situation where its PvP could be a game changer for the genre with a little love from the devs. I understand PvP is not their goal, but this is the dev diary and this is exactly the place for civilized discussion; who knows, a modder may be able to get some ideas at the very least.

It seems we have a PvP'r who doesn't start a post off with "the dev's stink" "PvE'rs are wusses" etc.

Don't chase him away :smile-new:

edit: I think that's Roland's job:wink-new:

Actually its the A17 dev diary and this discussion doesn't belong at all because its not being changed in A17. The dev's have been pretty clear in that PvP will get love later, but it won't come until the game is closer to release and all the features are in place so they can try to balance it properly.

However the focus is always going to be on PvE

Actually its the A17 dev diary and this discussion doesn't belong at all because its not being changed in A17. The dev's have been pretty clear in that PvP will get love later, but it won't come until the game is closer to release and all the features are in place so they can try to balance it properly.

However the focus is always going to be on PvE

In my opinion this game, as stated by the devs, is better off as a PvE major with a minor in PvP. It's fun and hard enough with the zounds of zombies, bears, dogs, wolves, snakes, vultures, and whatever else without the added stress of another human player trying to "off" you as well. Plus, the devs are ramping up the AI in A17 which will moderately compensate for the human PvP thought factor. As stated, the devs will give the game's PvP some love, but this game will do better with a concentration on PvE. Boss zombies, BIG zombies, more wildlife that hates you...the potential is monumental.

Great job, btw, Pimps! Keep up the good work!

Actually its the A17 dev diary and this discussion doesn't belong at all because its not being changed in A17.

I imagine the mocaps will be a welcomed change to the PvP community. You will actually be able to tell if someone is looking at you. Just because the under-the-hood changes to PvP won't come until a later date, doesn't mean that other things designed to enhance PvE coming in A17 won't enhance PvP experience. The same goes for PvP ideas that could actually enhance PvE stuff. So I disagree with your "PvP discussion has no place in the A17 dev diary" claim.

Where I'm coming from: I co-op with friends PvE, sometimes we get bored...

I get that you are trying to be funny. But on pve there are certain designs that are achivable under 2 hours even from just wood and there you go zombies are done. As for being fully geared maybe 2 real days. You might have no ideea about some approaches towards the game since probably you play pve. But playing pvp pushes you to find efficient ways of dealing with the zombies/leveling/and gearing up.

Trying... I was hysterical...

Anyway, I disagree that PvP makes you a better pve'er, I think the game (well, any game) has its limits and there are certain base designs that could withstand any attack.

Hell I could chop a dozen blocks in a brownstone and be good indefinitely.

But pve'ers don't settle for that. We strive to make the game challenging, on purpose, whereas pvp'ers look for the quickest solution because they have to.

...and there's nothing wrong with that but it's the difference between us... It's where our goals split.

Pve'ers want more of the pve experience and pvp'ers want to be efficient player killing machines.

Unfortunately, the game designers want the former.

Now yes, I agree that PvP is a missed opportunity, see my last few dozen posts, but my opinion means Jack.

Good luck with the hate you're going to get from pve'ers, and I hope you continue your history of well thought out and stated posts.

Keep up the good work!

good work is the work you see.

The main problem is they try to do lots of things at once. The result is we have updates one or twice per year.

Make some minor/modearte changes REGULARY, update once per month - that's the normal state of development today.

Look at, for example, PUBG: if it get 2 updates per year - the game would be dead now.

good work is the work you see.

The main problem is they try to do lots of things at once. The result is we have updates one or twice per year.

Make some minor/modearte changes REGULARY, update once per month - that's the normal state of development today.

Look at, for example, PUBG: if it get 2 updates per year - the game would be dead now.

The problem with that is this game is in a different stage than PUBG. A17 will be a major update, with a lot of the changes coming behind the scenes that most players won't see, but you'll be able to "feel" when you play the game. PUBG is pretty much where its going to be, patch in some new guns/vehicles, implement a new map etc. 7dtd is still in the tinkering phase, deciding what fits/can fit and making sure things are playable. Small updates won't work for this Alpha since the devs said this is pretty much a rebuild of the game. Why waste time and resources putting updates into A16.4 when A17 is basically a new game and will require a complete wipe when you start it?

It's like George Lucas going back and editing TOT, it just didn't make sense. He should've spent that time and effort making sure the prequels had a story.

Ahh the nostalgia...

I still have my Amiga500 and Commodore64 from way back when.

Loved the C64 and Amiga. My first profitable project I ever made was the Nib disk copier for the Amiga.

And I still have them.

Loved the C64 and Amiga. My first profitable project I ever made was the Nib disk copier for the Amiga.

And I still have them.

In my huge store of Amiga disks, I dont believe I got Nib disk?

You put it on abandonware? I must have! For posterity! :D

I am assuming that A16 save files will not be compatible with A17 files and we will definitely need to reset our servers. Is this a correct assumption?

Yes, if you want a stable save you're best off waiting until after the A17 experimental period is over. Wipes are recommended until the stable build is released.

I'd disagree with you completely. The minecraft style is great for non PvE watching people build thousands of different base ideas and be creative.

If your only goal is to stop the hordes and you choose to use exploits or techniques to break the AI then thats your choice.

Skyrim can be beaten in 40 minutes if thats your goal. Morrowind can be beaten in under 5 minutes, Super Mario World can be beaten in under 10 minutes.

All of those involve "beating" a game, but none of those would be an accurate representation of how much fun comes from playing the game and NOT beating it.

If your sole goal is to "beat" the game and to PvP then this is not the game for you, and its not the developers intent to make it the game for you. Closer to release they will focus more on PvP and options. Most people i've played with in coop don't cheese AI and actually build real forts and bases.

I clearly stated that the game is unique from Ark Rust, etc as i own them and played and is a different feel. As for building im probably one of the biggest builders in Pvp, Aside from Pvping my main love in this game is building i have build from small forts to real size castles all on pvp server in which at the peak holded 10 active people. My whole point is that regarding building, is sure you can build alot on pve but is overkill you just gonna look at it preety and pretend is strong while building in Pvp takes real designs, and is extremly rewarding at least for me when people try to raid me and they cant. I also never said that the game sucks, i clearly played it for what now about 4 years? is just that it could be much more with little changes, i dont want the game to be dumbed down, in fact i can say i liked it a bit more in the old days where you had to go thru all the process from logs to sticks. All im saying it could mean alot if there was some love to performance and stability or at least a few little changes that pvers dont even care about that are almost breaking the game on pvp like ( bullet drop, jumping range and damage, zoomed sensivity etc)

Archived