Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

In A16, in Random Gen, you can often see POI's being placed in such a way that they are either located on top of a circular 'column', or on the side of a mountain, within a cylindrical cut-out. Is this an issue being looked at? It's not game-breaking, but it's rather immersion-breaking. Thanks for the help.

The flying saucers that poi's are carried on? It's a product of the rwg system finding flat'ish terrain, and leveling it off even more to make room for the poi itself. It's especially prevalent in wilderness spawns, because that's where the terrain is most uneven to begin with... hell, if it was even, rwg would drop a city or town there instead of a poi, so for a16, it's one or the other.

For a17, they haven't spoken zip about any new kind of RWG, but if I know kinyajuu like I do (even in passing), I know he's not happy with it either and is most likely fixing it.

But as far as concrete info goes, nada.

As a test case for the unicorn/sparkles mode of communication I give it a 10 out of 10. If the question itself was not just an example, the gist from lots of developer posts is:

It is a known issue (which means it is on the todo-list), but A16 won't get any further patches. It also seems more of a calibration issue of the RWG than just a single bug one can correct and be finished about it (this is just my personal impression though). If you see such occurances in a few months in A17 experimental/BETA, post the seed and coordinates in the relevant bug thread.

Thanks. Yeah I guess it is difficult to counteract this issue given the need to have a flat terrain for the POI to 'stand' on, so to speak. With POI's near mountains, this makes some sense given the need to blast away part of the mountain-face in real-life, but with the pillars it looks somewhat strange. We'll keep an eye out of course.

- - - Updated - - -

The flying saucers that poi's are carried on? It's a product of the rwg system finding flat'ish terrain, and leveling it off even more to make room for the poi itself. It's especially prevalent in wilderness spawns, because that's where the terrain is most uneven to begin with... hell, if it was even, rwg would drop a city or town there instead of a poi, so for a16, it's one or the other.

For a17, they haven't spoken zip about any new kind of RWG, but if I know kinyajuu like I do (even in passing), I know he's not happy with it either and is most likely fixing it.

But as far as concrete info goes, nada.

Hehe, flying saucers. Was looking for a good description. Will stick to this one :p

But thanks!

Just to add:

I've often had cities where one side of the city has a huge drop off. I'm guessing this is also because of the terrain issue thing Guppy explained...

It might be an issue but I like how some of the cites seem to be built on 'cliffs', not really a important issue is my thought.

Sorry. My oversight. I’ll update it when I’m not on mobile. The crouched creeping walk is the same. The regular movement is faster than it used to be and the run is faster but depletes stamina faster as well. It’s a change for sure so I’ll list it in the changes.

Thank god standard walking is a little faster. Run felt about right so I would be ok if it hadn't changed but the walk speed was just far enough on the slow side to be annoying. :)

And regarding to that, what is the state of the Perlin-Worm Cave System that was talked about in the early A16 Preview Videos?

Is this completly scrapped or still planned/comming for A17 ?

I thought that got put on at least hold status because it was messing with Structural Integrity of things above the caves. My memory isn't what it used to be but I recall a discussion along those lines.

Of course. Feeling offended is a right. But being offended is in the eyes of the beholder as well.

Okay. Lets try to be on-topic here.

In A16, in Random Gen, you can often see POI's being placed in such a way that they are either located on top of a circular 'column', or on the side of a mountain, within a cylindrical cut-out. Is this an issue being looked at? It's not game-breaking, but it's rather immersion-breaking. Thanks for the help.

There ya go. I hope this was positive enough? I can always add flowers/unicorns/sparkles/praise if deemed necessary.

Until that last sentence that was a prefectly reasonable and well thought out question/feedback. But, you just couldn't hit the post button without being snide. It's like a compulsion or something.

There were a few comments about fixing terrain issues and the height map stuff coming in A17. So I'd expect that the RWG city building and POI code would have to be reworked to some degree. I also remember a video a few months back that mentioned work on smoothing roads but that may have been rendered moot with the height map changes now planned for A17.

I had an idea. When the fun pimps talked about these "backstories" behind the buildings, it would be pretty neat to put in list system like in Far Cry 4,5 etc. It would contain short message. Something like a diary...

whadaya say??

I think DaVega's posts are important to read. I didn't agree with several points of his post which I stated but I wouldn't want him to go anywhere that I couldn't keep my eye on him... ;)

Guys be welcoming of a diversity of opinion instead of feeling threatened by it and lashing out. You can debate and outline where you think someone is wrong without making personal attacks.

The biome reduction was a surprise to me too and one I have concerns over but I also am waiting to see if the developers can still create plenty of diversity in the terrain with what is left. Really, the plains biome has been bland and boring since cliffs, canyons, and complex cave networks went away. If anything I would like to see the grassland biome become a simple border around every desert biome as it would help the desert transition better into the other biomes.

I made this same post when rwg firs was released but Madmole didn't like my idea. And said it would get rid of the randomness.

I don't care so much about forests being blended. But I would like to see the planes biome stay so that the transition makes sense.

Move from:

Snow>forest>planes>desert

Or

Desert >planes > forest > burnt > wasteland.

It's rather simple but it would make random world gen 100x better

Make rules snow can't be bordering burnt or desert.

Desert can't border forest make it so that certainn biomes must border each other.

On the subject of biomes... Is the wasteland biome an under-utilised area?

What reasons are there to even go there other than the challenge of surviving in such a hostile environment?

Cities in every biome are always worth visiting but what about the area itself?

I know there are always a lot of cars in the wasteland but cars can be found almost anywhere.

What is it about the wasteland that makes it attractive to visit?

What can be done to make it a must see area?

Am I missing something?

What reasons are there to even go there other than the challenge of surviving in such a hostile environment?

I know there are always a lot of cars in the wasteland but cars can be found almost anywhere.

Am I missing something?

The plan was to make the burnt, wasteland & snow very unforgiving places with great loot, and nerf the loot within the forest/plains areas. I don't know if that will still be a thing, currently they are all about the same difficulty to survive in.

Am I missing something?

We feel the exact same way which is why in Ravenhearst the Wastelands are the only place to reliably find diamonds that can be used to upgrade tools and also where certain high value pois are set to spawn (like gun shops).

The idea of a dangerous area has always been underutilized and i hope the plan is still to allow for us modders to create certain biomes and loot spots that will offer higher value loot according to gamestages. At least that WAS discussed before but I have not heard anymore on this in quite a while. Hopefully some form of this is still in the cards.

Am I missing something?

Harder quests and POI's would be ideal in the wasteland. Someday.

As it stands now there is a reason to visit all the biomes if only to find specific resources such as coal, nitrate, shale etc but the wasteland stands out as the only one that doesn’t have an attraction to encourage you to go there.

I’m just wondering what could be done to make it a must see other than the cities.

At the moment the only time we find a reason to visit is when a treasure map takes us there.

Maybe the implementation of quests will give us more reasons to visit.

It just seems a waste of land.....

get it...WASTE of LAND...

I need to get out more I reckon....

Well if you think about it from a lore standpoint, the wastelands should be the only place with huge cities, because those are the spots that were hit the hardest by bombs & whatnot, the only reason that we have forest & snow biomes is because they were not worth targeting & were sheltered from the fallout. So if they put the majority of the good loot within the radiated & wasteland areas, it would make a trip out there actually worth it.

Given the fact that the place is filled with land mines it suggests that at one point the area was the site of a ground battle.

It wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to make it an area that contained a lot of later game weapons and mods.

Military POIs, camps seem like a good fit for the biome as does a higher chance of getting military style clothes, armour and weapons.

Imagine if the only place you could find AKs, rocket launchers and sniper rifles was in the wasteland.

Same with military armour.

That would make it a must visit for me at least.

I do like a good sniper rifle

Archived