Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

TFP do seem to want a closer tie to conventional zombie lore which is cool by me. TWD is a very popular show so would be like free advertisement!

More players,

more money,

more content,

more players... :)

What is conventional zombie lore though? Resident Evil is over 20 years old and one of the best known zombie games and has a mixture of regular zombies and then big creatures like the hunters and Tyrants that have been made in a lab as biological weapons. I was hoping the behemoth would be more like the Resident Evil Tyrant, which was basically just a large human with a giant bladed arm.

I think it was the whole 'alien' thing that started putting people off the idea. Now they have added the containment tanks and there's an indication they were working on biological weapons there is no reason a larger, more dangerous zombie threat couldn't be added and fit perfectly well with the lore.

Also I think the walking dead could benefit from an actual threat as the zombies in that show have become thoroughly toothless. They regularly mow hundreds down at a time without a care in the world.

The behemoth was quite a bit larger than a large human. Large human would be as tall as the behemoth's thigh.

The original elevator pitch was a cross between The Walking Dead, Fallout, and Minecraft.

Now that I see that was their main focus, I am completely on board with all of the changes in A17. I didn't know that was their particular aim since I started about 4 years ago. Still love the game. It is one of my most played games on PC FPS wise.

What is conventional zombie lore though? Resident Evil is over 20 years old and one of the best known zombie games and has a mixture of regular zombies and then big creatures like the hunters and Tyrants that have been made in a lab as biological weapons. I was hoping the behemoth would be more like the Resident Evil Tyrant, which was basically just a large human with a giant bladed arm.

I think it was the whole 'alien' thing that started putting people off the idea. Now they have added the containment tanks and there's an indication they were working on biological weapons there is no reason a larger, more dangerous zombie threat couldn't be added and fit perfectly well with the lore.

Also I think the walking dead could benefit from an actual threat as the zombies in that show have become thoroughly toothless. They regularly mow hundreds down at a time without a care in the world.

maybe you should watch Z Nation - we could use a Murphy who has some zombie enzyme in him and he is immune to bites.

I would most like focus on fixing lag issues with electrical, farming and landscape colapses. Everyting that makes the game run smoother. I also feel that it is to many cities nowdays. Is there possible so implement a procentage setting on server side och how many cities that is created? Or follow hardness setting maby? Another solution is to put more sleeper zombies outside in the cities. For now I get all items i need really fast by some looting.

Now that I see that was their main focus, I am completely on board with all of the changes in A17. I didn't know that was their particular aim since I started about 4 years ago. Still love the game. It is one of my most played games on PC FPS wise.

Funny, because that's essentially why I bought the game.

Not really The Walking Dead bit (I actually think that's cliche; I'll grant some leeway for the devs if they're truly inspired), or strictly because it would be similar to those other games (which I do love btw), but more so because I wanted a voxel based post apocalyptic survival rpg.

maybe you should watch Z Nation - we could use a Murphy who has some zombie enzyme in him and he is immune to bites.

Im STILL praying for a zombie-nado!

- - - Updated - - -

Not really The Walking Dead bit (I actually think that's cliche; I'll grant some leeway for the devs if they're truly inspired), or strictly because it would be similar to those other games (which I do love btw), but more so because I wanted a voxel based post apocalyptic survival rpg.

Gotta remember it may be cliche NOW but it sort of wasn't at the time of inception. But yes the market since has become flooded with zombie survival. Thankfully this is STILL the only one that gets it right.

- - - Updated - - -

Feature request: how difficult would it be to support auto closing of hatches/doors/drawbridges? possibly a setting in serverconfig.xml.

ideal scenario: serverconfig.xml

AutoCloseDoor = True/False

DoorCloseDelay = 10 (in seconds - default is 3 seconds)

I think it would have to be auto open and close like Ark has. Id support that feature. Would be a nice QoL addition. Id also support a drop all or move all like we have a take all feature so we can dump off in boxes with one click.

I just finished watching the first season of The walking dead. I see a lot of similarity's between that TV series and this game.

Is this like a model that TFP's are trying to follow in making this game?

Enjoy the ride. It has lots of ups and downs but overall it's a great show. Keep an eye out for the Blood Moon in Season 2 :)

I like how it was/is a survival RPG and everything can be destroyed. Plus the crafting mechanics, which I hope is never removed.

Concept art is looking good! Kinda a cross between mad max/wasteland/fallout, but with zombies. IMHO and firsthand archery experience, the archer concept image needs a set of forearm bracers. Not just to fend off zombie bites, but also to keep the bowstring from slapping their arm while shooting.

The armored front fairing on the hog concept art looks like it would make it impossible to turn at all. Maybe save the cowcatcher armor for heavier vehicles with more wheels? Any impact on a bike is bad. Speed and maneuverability are key. I hope TFP are considering eventually adding some off-road vehicles with heavy duty shocks and knobby tires, since properly maintained roads are a thing of the past.

On that thought, the group I used to play with had 2 options for newcomers to earn trust (storage access codes) - mining or road crew duty.

Im STILL praying for a zombie-nado!

Next people are gonna ask for some kind of Zombies on a Plane experience....

/facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

wait wait wait...I call bs...nobody watches Z Nation...come on now...

Wait wait wait yerself! It's totally about Zombies... Forming a nation. And trying to develop nukes as a deterrent for self defense.

Or...

Maybe that's North Korea. Hm.

Nevermind. I don't watch it either.

Wait, Z Nation still exists?

Well, I suppose it is by The Asylum, and a show on SciFi. A lot of shows and movies in that general direction which only god knows why they made it and who they made it for.

Which leads to more questions, such as why The Asylum is still around to pump out bad movies and television, or why they're seemingly prevalent on SciFi.

Wait, Z Nation still exists?

Well, I suppose it is by The Asylum, and a show on SciFi. A lot of shows and movies in that general direction which only god knows why they made it and who they made it for.

Which leads to more questions, such as why The Asylum is still around to pump out bad movies and television, or why they're seemingly prevalent on SciFi.

I have there a theorie

But to say this would maybe lead to a ban by mankind. I fear the few of us are outnumbered.

Enjoy the ride. It has lots of ups and downs but overall it's a great show. Keep an eye out for the Blood Moon in Season 2 :)

Blood moon? Ok.

Watching Season 2 now by the way.

Just finished watching episode 3... I won't give it away but what happened is really sick.

I rather enjoy znation, and i gotta say doc is my favorite :smile-new:

Yes. Not everything has to be super serious. Its called fun. The show isn't going to win any awards by no means, but in the same way low budget horror can be fun, Z-Nation is fun. It doesn't take itself seriously.

Some members could learn a thing or two about that ;)

Sills, it's not an ACTUAL Blood Moon but being a player of 7 Days you will definitely enjoy what occurs. I really don't want to spoil it so I will stop there.

Archived