Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Whenever the small gathering of worldwide 7D2D players meets in a small pub on the first Saturday of each month they look at the empty seats around them and toast to their rather exlusive hobby. It's almost like a secret society with their numbers countable on one hand... IF that hand had one million fingers that is. :smile-new:

Zombie survival isn't really niche.

Good you didn`t mention the dress code. This is why this game is awesome.

Raising the difficulty only makes you weaker, come what may. Setting Zed's to always run loses the night/day distinction, homongenizes Zed's and makes raiding POIs kinda dumb.i guess bandits will add something interesting. But I suggested earlier that there be a number of different boss lairs with varying difficulty and with worthwhile loot. This is similar to the questing and uninque Zed's already promised. But stomblling upon these boss lairs yourself without a quest could also add to the exploration element.

The beauty of settings is that it allows people to have fun the way they want to have fun... unlike levelled loot, which is the devil and should be scrapped.

But that's not what I came to rant about.

"Ruins immersion? It's a zombie game, zombies aren't real!"

...hate that argument. Main reason is, I've already /chosen/ to suspend my disbelief to include zombies in my "world". I actively chose to accept that zombies are "real". But magic blocks, health bars, empty cupboards that I can't store stuff in, and just plainly obvious violations of the laws of physics, isn't something I'm willing to give up just yet.

So please, accept "ruins immersion" as a viable argument; because it is. If a 30' zombie "ruins the immersion" of a zombie apocalypse, then it ruins it.

That is all.

and just plainly obvious violations of the laws of physics, isn't something I'm willing to give up just yet.

On that note... have you ever went into vehicles.xml and changed the gravity multiplier of the minibike to a fractional value? :D

A setting of 0.01 is both awesome and irritating at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Someone add some music here

EDIT: Another good one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfBgLr1of8

Random turn in topics here, but I'm interested in seeing the new skills system. Not sure if anyone played around with Project Zomboid, but I love their take on attributes. You start by selecting your char previous employment (adds to immersion a bit) and different attributes are given leaving you will x amount of points left to select more positive attributes. Also if you want to start out with more points than originally allowed, you could take on negative attributes (overweight, asthmatic, etc) to pick up more positive traits.

Not saying I'm requesting that in game... don't feel like I'm entitled to with less than 500 hrs in game, but thought that was a unique twist on things.

...Zombie survival isn't really niche.

It is niche. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

Top 15 games of all time by copies sold, all of which have at minimum roughly 10x the sales numbers of 7DTD. Figures are aggregated approximates from multiple sources. Wikipedia has my starting point if you want to verify , but these games have enough name recognition in the general industry I don't expect anyone would be surprised to see them listed.

198m Tetris

144m Minecraft

90m Grand Theft Auto V

81m Wii Sports

40.2m Super Mario Bros.

37m Mario Kart Wii

35m Overwatch

33m Wii Sports Resort

31.4m Pokémon Red and Blue

30.8m New Super Mario Bros.

30m New Super Mario Bros. (Wii)

30m The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

30m Diablo III

30m PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

28.3m Duck Hunt

Of that list, only Minecraft could be considered to be in the zombie survival genre, but calling it that is kind of like calling 7DTD an FPS.

Random turn in topics here, but I'm interested in seeing the new skills system. Not sure if anyone played around with Project Zomboid, but I love their take on attributes. You start by selecting your char previous employment (adds to immersion a bit) and different attributes are given leaving you will x amount of points left to select more positive attributes. Also if you want to start out with more points than originally allowed, you could take on negative attributes (overweight, asthmatic, etc) to pick up more positive traits.

Not saying I'm requesting that in game... don't feel like I'm entitled to with less than 500 hrs in game, but thought that was a unique twist on things.

Would be cool to select traits similar to project zomboid.

..and suggest/request whatever you want, there's nothing wrong in doing so (Just don't expect it to happen).

If ppl give you flack for even daring to request/suggest something, tell them to get over it!

It's part of what a game forum is all about.

It is niche. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

There are avid gamers that just barely became aware of 7 Days to Die. I'm not talking mainstream persons who like to play match 3 on their smart phone whenever the mood strikes. I'm talking about people in the hobby who own a lot of games and they are just barely becoming aware of this game as something that exists.

I'd also say it's niche.

I'd even say that it's resistance to going full on PvP Battle Royale as it's main game mode makes it even more niche within the already somewhat niche genre.

I'd even say that it's resistance to going full on PvP Battle Royale as it's main game mode makes it even more niche within the already somewhat niche genre.

Maybe, but I've come to believe that 7DTD's unique multigenre blend is what makes it so effective as a game. Moving away from that in favor of one specific genre would be the wrong call, though it might boost sales numbers in the short term.

Been meaning to say something - nice to have you back Royal! I missed ya. (Just ask Roland. I was whining to him privately that you left. I need your Royal Blue background...)

And, curious about how many hours you have in? Was kind of surprised to learn how many Guppy had. # of posts, and hours of game time do not seem to be proportional...

Not really a idea and specially hard to say because its mixed between editor and gaming. But 4000 Hours+ if i remember right.

Would be cool to select traits similar to project zomboid.

..and suggest/request whatever you want, there's nothing wrong in doing so (Just don't expect it to happen).

If ppl give you flack for even daring to request/suggest something, tell them to get over it!

It's part of what a game forum is all about.

Thanks Tin, I'm not afraid of the flack... in fact I kind of like poking the beast sometimes. I just understand TFP have a plan and not naive enough to think my way should be THE way and get my self confused on here as one of those people who feel like my demands should be met as a "paying customer". I'm just along for the ride and TFP is driving the bus. Now if they saw something I say and decide to implement it... I wouldn't be mad 😏

I am guessing that TFP's want to move away from just finding (gun parts) and just finding guns.

But on the other hand, TFP's could still allow players to take said guns and break them down to gun parts as needed.

that would be even better than the system we have now. :)

totally agree with that but I think you should still be able to find parts...(maybe as a rare spawn in gun shops)

That is mostly fixed now.

Zombie pathing, moving, climbing, jumping and breaking have gone through a lot of changes so far for A17, with more to come.

This is very welcome news! Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumb:

My hope is that a zombie with enough time and health would theoretically be able to reach any part of the world if it wanted to.

"Zombies running in circles fixed and overall pathing and movements and actions improved 4/5/18"

WHOOT !!! THANK YOU !

lol...there is sure to be someone soon who will post that they just booted up their game and it is NOT fixed and the devs are lying.... ;)

lol...there is sure to be someone soon who will post that they just booted up their game and it is NOT fixed and the devs are lying.... ;)

I just booted up my game. Zombies are still running in circles. Devs are lying.

ZOMG... Roland! Get out of my head!

Archived