Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I think most everything has been said by now for and against the notion that looting lots of corpses or other containers becomes tedious and undesirable. But one method of reducing that tedium could be further deployed: bigger stacks.

Finding one steel arrowhead, as Madmole does, is almost useless. It takes up an inventory slot, and you have to queue up crafting the arrows, make a bow, switch ammunition, use it, and then retrieve your one arrow. Better to find 10 steel arrowheads at once. The effort to actually use them would be much more worthwhile. Of course, I'm not looking for more or less loot overall. That cache of 10 steel arrowheads would be found roughly 90% less often, in order to keep the balance.

This applies to a lot of things in Alpha 16 and earlier. One nail? I literally can't make anything with that. Enough concrete mix to make two blocks?? A waste of space. But 20 blocks? Now it's an exciting find. Now it starts to affect my decision making, and could affect how the personal narrative of my game unfolds.

With zombie loot to be consolidated to backpacks, and loot containers branching into empty and not-empty versions, now would be an excellent time to up the minimum quantities on many loot items. ComSenMod provides good baseline numbers, if anyone's interested. :biggrin1:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the biggest impact to these changes - Time.

It takes time to go through all the cupboards and loot the corpses. Time is the most valuable commodity in a survival situation; by reducing the number of empty corpses and empty cupboards, TFP has effectively made the game easier.

-A

i will watch... like 30 mins only . maybe an hour just to get a taste of it :) , waiting 3 days is nothing compared to a 15 months , just release it asap this week , this Friday ;)

I don't generally have enough time to play a game, let alone watch someone else play. So yeah...there is the sadness that is my life...not too bad I guess.

i will watch... like 30 mins only . maybe an hour just to get a taste of it :) , waiting 3 days is nothing compared to a 15 months , just release it asap this week , this Friday ;)

Don' think its this week, I believe Roland said that he'd know the Monday before the weekend stream and seeing that the RC isn't done yet and it's Tuesday so its unlikely.

But I'm a hopeful sort so I'll hold out hope for and RC on Wednesday which might make a stream this weekend possibile.

Being a short weekend next week they may put it off till the 2nd week of Sept (i do recall some releases during holiday days previously but I may be IIRC wrong) as was previously predicted.

Yep. I never watch the streamers. Only watch some of the vids. I like to play games. Not watch others.

I thought the same way. But I do watch streams more now. I actually pay little attention to the game play(sometimes none at all). It is an opportunity to interact with other people that like the same kind of things I do. I have met a few people in stream chat and then later discord that I consider pretty good friends. Played on several servers with them on various games. I've even discovered a few games that I love to play that I would never have tried just because the streamer I was watching got a free code and was trying it out.

I thought the same way. But I do watch streams more now. I actually pay little attention to the game play(sometimes none at all). It is an opportunity to interact with other people that like the same kind of things I do. I have met a few people in stream chat and then later discord that I consider pretty good friends. Played on several servers with them on various games. I've even discovered a few games that I love to play that I would never have tried just because the streamer I was watching got a free code and was trying it out.

I love watching vids of others when I'm feeling to lazy to play or if they're playing the same game as I am just to see how differently theirs play out to mine.

If you were talking about a Gold release of a game you might have some type of valid points. Welcome to Early Access. If it doesn't suit you, buy Gold Release games instead.

Beta means polishing and fixing bugs, optimizing.

If they are going to add more stuff after that, they may as well do an A18 and "optimize" next.

There's also the "mod support" feature to add (whatever that means so far)

Lets see if there is any interest in another topic...

Who else plans on skipping them stream event (i want to discover A17e for myself).

Iam very excited about the stream event.

It was a famous German streamer that I was watching on YouTube and twitch.

I decided to pimp up my old potato rig and bought the game after four month of watching.

I think I will watch G4K and discover A17e myself as well ;-)

Great event in my opinion.

But I think that was not the answer to your question.

Yes, but different. The bedroll nvolves dying which does have some costs associated to it. But I agree, perhaps bedrolls need another design review. :p

I like the way Conan Exiles handles bedrolls. You have 1 bed spawn point (and yes you have to use a bed) plus 1 bedroll spawn point. You can have multiples of either beds or bedrolls down, however, you have to use the interact menu to make it an active spawn point and you can only have one bed and one bedroll active at a time. You can switch which is active any time you like by interacting with the one you want to make active. When you die, the respawn dialog asks if you want to respawn on your bed or your bedroll, or at the beginning spawn point.

Madmole:

I also used to go around the country for LAN tournaments (but for Descent II, a man's game, not the bunny hopping clickfest Counterstrike), and I also used to be very good.

But the bad news is MM, we got old. I know, I know, it sucks, but it's true. Now when I hop into a PvP game of any kind, I'm like Mr. Magoo (and if you know who that is, then you're also old)... sure, I bumble along and get some kills, but nowhere near my prior life's level of mayhem and destruction.

So what I'm hearing from you is though, that you and Bloom can have a 1v1 PvP game which of course will be streamed live, and the winner gets the steam key for the test branch going forward?

I just lay mines in the pvp and watch from the rooftops in my rocking chair for the "pop"

That's the one thing I have a problem with...which is why I think placing and giving the bedroll a NO SPAWN area would help. As you place another one in a new area the No Spawn is lifted from the first one placed. It should be 15x15 at least, but maybe 30 upwards , for taller buildings.

MTFGA

I thought bedrolls already did a no spawn area around them.

Lets see if there is any interest in another topic...

Who else plans on skipping them stream event (i want to discover A17e for myself).

My character has lived his life in the A17 world. He has done and seen many things, so knowing things makes sense to me.

For you, you can go off an amnesia event he had.

Or more dramatically, your character is a created creature, immune to the virus, near unlimited potential AND is being "tested", stressed by directed zombie attacks to push you to your limits and grow ever stronger...

:)

I like the way Conan Exiles handles bedrolls. You have 1 bed spawn point (and yes you have to use a bed) plus 1 bedroll spawn point. You can have multiples of either beds or bedrolls down, however, you have to use the interact menu to make it an active spawn point and you can only have one bed and one bedroll active at a time. You can switch which is active any time you like by interacting with the one you want to make active. When you die, the respawn dialog asks if you want to respawn on your bed or your bedroll, or at the beginning spawn point.

That is one of the things I thought they handled pretty well also. Purges on the other hand, grrrrrrrrrr. I've still never seen one. Every game I've been in they get bugged and never happen. :( (That may be fixed now. I haven't played it in couple months.)

The longevity of this game will be via modding.

AMEN.

Original Ghost recon was a long life game.

I remember the first Ghost recon being mission moddable and we had tornaments.

co-op's against AI and that was awesome 6 guys battling 128+ tangos and "intelligent tanks" with people making scripts of mine fields etc...and such...

no respawns! Fun Times.

This game with a prefab editor and a terrain editor and missions Should be able to blow that away.

My character has lived his life in the A17 world. He has done and seen many things, so knowing things makes sense to me.

Or more dramatically, your character is a created creature, immune to the virus, near unlimited potential AND is being "tested", stressed by directed zombie attacks to push you to your limits and grow ever stronger...

I enjoyed this. You've great ability to tell a story in just a few sentences...setting the scene...just, wow!

A wallet (leather) with cash (paper) and

Credit cards (plastic). A multi purpose tool including knife and screw driver, and finally, a magnum condom.

Is that the same one since junior high? :) I wouldn't survive the apocalypse unless some old receipts in my wallet and a bit of pocket lint suddenly became useful.

A crazy cat-lady, who after they ate her cats, is bent on the destruction of all zombie kind.

The Stream Event will not be this weekend. I'm hopeful for the following but still too early to know for sure and then of course stuff happens. But you are free to focus on BBQ and celebrate Labor Day by relaxing.

What about BBQ? Are you having one Roland? Where is my invite?

The Stream Event will not be this weekend. I'm hopeful for the following but still too early to know for sure and then of course stuff happens. But you are free to focus on BBQ and celebrate Labor Day by relaxing.

Who knows, maybe Joel will do another video and give us another 40 pages of forum material ;)

BBQ confirmed in A17!

Archived