Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

1, I think that there aren't enough good single player games and even less good multiplayer pve coop games. You can get pvp anywhere, fortnite rust, ark etc. Our game is in its own space because its the only game like it. If we were just a pvp game we'd be a worse version of something else. Why be number 349 when you can be number 1? I have nothing against pvp, I think I have 500 hours in rust. I always wanted to make a game where the threat to survive is so hard humans have no choice but to band together. I look forward to making our pvp awesome, its just not a high priority right now.

I don't think our game has the proper net code and optimizations to currently be a good pvp game. Hopefully as we get closer to gold pvp can be improved. As you must know, 7 days is a very ambitious game. We need to fulfill our promises not your hopes. Once the KS goals are done and we're gold, we'll probably do some post gold pvp stuff. We have some new things planned that are going to make pvp much more viable I can't talk about now.

that all what we needed to hear thank you joel tumblr_mag8eq0H4J1rrbnsm.gif

1, I think that there aren't enough good single player games and even less good multiplayer pve coop games. You can get pvp anywhere, fortnite rust, ark etc. Our game is in its own space because its the only game like it. If we were just a pvp game we'd be a worse version of something else. Why be number 349 when you can be number 1? I have nothing against pvp, I think I have 500 hours in rust. I always wanted to make a game where the threat to survive is so hard humans have no choice but to band together. I look forward to making our pvp awesome, its just not a high priority right now.

I don't think our game has the proper net code and optimizations to currently be a good pvp game. Hopefully as we get closer to gold pvp can be improved. As you must know, 7 days is a very ambitious game. We need to fulfill our promises not your hopes. Once the KS goals are done and we're gold, we'll probably do some post gold pvp stuff. We have some new things planned that are going to make pvp much more viable I can't talk about now.

Very well put! Thanks you again Mr. Joelercoaster! Please tell me one day you will add undies slots for layering? The Legion of Panties for Peace would love it! :)

I'm pretty sure I could destroy you in any game, I used to smash whole teams of people against me alone in quake and counter strike and was offered to be sponsored years back to travel and compete but I was wanting to make games so I declined. I do stupid stuff deliberately to make the videos entertaining so think what you want to think. I already proved the game can't kill me in my dead is dead video series I posted an alpha or two ago, and look at my kill 20 dog challenge video. After we shipped Gore (a pvp shooter) the best guy who was hands down the top player in the whole community challenged me and I smoked him 20 to 3.

And your the one who is comical, the pvp player base is less than 1% of our customer base. Maybe its 40% of the vocal minority community, but its literally nothing, all our players are friends playing coop with friends or single player on private servers.

Um... Madmole. I watched your last video and well you make noobs look good. :) It would take too long to point out all the mistakes you made and so won't do it.

Also remember the boar that boared into you??? Yeah! Or the other times you died in that video?

Watched you drop your bow in another video and am pretty sure that you didn't do that on purpose. ;)

Dropping that jeep on your head was great though. lol

Also saw the dog video and you still had your butt handed to you there as well.

Come on man, show me you can handle yourself here please so I stop talking smack. ;)

By the way, Welcome back to the forums. I missed seeing you here. :)

@MM. 7dtd has good enough net code currently that 30-40man servers arnt complete aids to play on; so give yourselves some credit there, because EA games still can't figure that one out.

A few recipes, and armor actually recognizing bullets would go a long way on the pvper side of things.

I feel that I havent been entirely clear, because of a negative focus; but aside from a few key notes, things are looking DAMN good, I tend to be a perfectionist, as loot goes, if recipes got added for the things we CANT make yet, but should be able to logically; I wouldn't care about zed loot. [Although, you have no idea how many times i've been saved from starvation from those random seeds.]

Arrows work because they are considered "puncture" damage, which armour has resistance against.

If you can somehow add that to bullets, job done. Concussive vs clubs/zombies, puncture for arrows/bolts/bullets.

You're kinda screwed against pipe bombs though. ;)

But... that is how the bedroll works. Either I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, or you’re misunderstanding how spawning works.

It works that way whenyou are signed onto the server...once you sign off all bets are off and zombies CAN respawn in the vicinity of your bedroll. I would like a continuous area of Non Spawn until another bedroll is placed.

Regards

Ouch

1, I think that there aren't enough good single player games and even less good multiplayer pve coop games. You can get pvp anywhere, fortnite rust, ark etc. Our game is in its own space because its the only game like it. If we were just a pvp game we'd be a worse version of something else.

And thank you for that, it's why I (and 24 of my friends) bought the game in the first place

bullets are straight armor piercing currently.

Given the types of armor available in the game, that's actually exactly correct. There's a reason soldiers don't run about in leather or plate armor since firearms were invented... And the stuff that is bullet-resistant, well, you're not making that on a basement workbench...

I know that TFP's want to try new things.

It's just that I wish they would talk to us about things they want to change before doing it.

Drop a line or do a pole, the way they used to do it.

They want to change it anyway and that's ok, but at least they will know how there fans feel about the changes and that we know that they are coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Sooo I am curious about the arrows sticking. Do they stick on block targets like hay bales too? Like I can see where arrows hit and get a better feel for how I need to arc my shots for distances?

In the last video, I saw one of the arrows sticking in the door frame which MM pulled back out. :)

Sooo I am curious about the arrows sticking. Do they stick on block targets like hay bales too? Like I can see where arrows hit and get a better feel for how I need to arc my shots for distances?

Yes. If you shoot and miss you can go and find your arrow and retrieve it. It might be stuck in the ground, in a tree, or a wall. They even sink into concrete just as if Madmole had been the one to draw that bow.

I really love the PvE focus and Co-Op focus of this game. So many zombie (and survival games in general) just turn into PvP slaughters.

I think if the game was Group vs Group it would be epic. Maybe give some incentive to group up or make it automatic. Like when you log on you automatically get dumped into a group unless you already have a preference. The big group fights are always better than a PVP. I'm thinking the Saviors vs the Kingdom or something like that. Big battles and multiple people building huge bases. A feature like a single unbreakable chest with limited storage for every player would be nice. Diablo 3 comes to mind. Its not essential though, I would say. Ive never had problems hiding gear on a pvp server, logging on weeks later to find it untouched.

PVP is wonky, unbalanced and broken. The guy who grinds for hours every day will always have the advantage over the guy who only plays on the weekends. Theres no point in building a base because theyre too easy to raid as soon as the owner logs off. Also, alot of the pvp servers average a day 1 reset once a month. Why bother? Play overwatch or COD instead. The 7d2d pvp experience is nearly as toxic as rust, and I think thats exactly what the devs are trying to avoid.

There is one point where MM is shooting down the stairs of the basement in the farmhouse where he notices an arrow has stuck in the doorframe so I think that answers your question

It's just that I wish they would talk to us about things they want to change before doing it.

They want to change it anyway and that's ok, but at least they will know how there fans feel about the changes and that we know that they are coming. :)

There was no question about what the reaction would be. They don’t have us test obvious known bugs and they don’t poll us on obvious known sentiments.

They want to change it anyway and that's ok, but at least they will know how there fans feel about the changes and that we know that they are coming.

- - - Updated - - -

In the last video, I saw one of the arrows sticking in the door frame which MM pulled back out. :)

I understand the idea of consulting with the community about changes, but communities tend to hate changes of features that have been in so long. If you announce the change before doing it, there can so much backlash to the thought of it,creating doubt. So you just go through with the change if you think it's for the better. Then once it's in the game, release it, tweak it to fix it, and if it is unfixable, change it back. Sometimes community has to be dragged forward when a developer thinks it's the best thing for the game.

Consulting a community is a good way of getting ideas for features. Consulting a community for the idea of changes without having an implementation can be a bad way approaching what ideas to pursue in development.

I think if the game was Group vs Group it would be epic. Maybe give some incentive to group up or make it automatic. Like when you log on you automatically get dumped into a group unless you already have a preference. The big group fights are always better than a PVP. I'm thinking the Saviors vs the Kingdom or something like that. Big battles and multiple people building huge bases. A feature like a single unbreakable chest with limited storage for every player would be nice. Diablo 3 comes to mind. Its not essential though, I would say. Ive never had problems hiding gear on a pvp server, logging on weeks later to find it untouched.

PVP is wonky, unbalanced and broken. The guy who grinds for hours every day will always have the advantage over the guy who only plays on the weekends. Theres no point in building a base because theyre too easy to raid as soon as the owner logs off. Also, alot of the pvp servers average a day 1 reset once a month. Why bother? Play overwatch or COD instead. The 7d2d pvp experience is nearly as toxic as rust, and I think thats exactly what the devs are trying to avoid.

GvG!?!? AWESOME!!!!! Mind Splodey! Thank you sir! I support this idea.

GvG!?!? AWESOME!!!!! Mind Splodey! Thank you sir! I support this idea.

Batman undies are best undies!

- and just another thought on GvG, the zeds dropping limited loot actually fits really well. Horde night becomes strictly defending your base and your clan. There may be a few stray bags on the ground when its over for whoever wants to jump off the wall and break their leg.

The "dungeon crawls" through the POIs would be an actual dungeon crawl with your group. It would be alot easier to clear a POI if you had 8 of your fellow Saviors with you. Throwing pipe bombs at an enemy groups walls and driving away in the jeep would be loads of fun also.

Arrows work because they are considered "puncture" damage, which armour has resistance against.

If you can somehow add that to bullets, job done. Concussive vs clubs/zombies, puncture for arrows/bolts/bullets.

You're kinda screwed against pipe bombs though. ;)

Pretty much expect to die from that unless way down the line flak armor is added, but thats not even a real concern in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

Explain military gear then. Pretty sure we are repairing that stuff. Its the armor I was thinking of while writing that lol. But even leather armor would stop SOME puncture damage of a 9mm. [note I didnt say negate, but without going into huge detail, platemail has a chance to negate bullets completely if they ricochet.]

The comedic storytelling aside...

I doubt it is 1%. I think its closer to 20-30%.

Still a minority... but not as low as you think. Obviously I have nothing to go by other then the forums and the serverlist... so you might know stuff i dont... but 1% seems absurdly low. (even as a hyperboly)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?77184-How-Do-You-Play-7-Days-The-Most

look here, even in the forum pvp players are under 5%

Archived