Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

And they alternate now.

WHAT DOES IT MEAAAAN!?!

(srsly, Roland is having way too much fun messing with people's minds.)

EXACTLY , that what passes my mind when i saw the 2 :kiwi-fruit: , he is surely having fun there , why not he have a copy of the development game :) , heheheh

-- VIDEO , VIDEO , VIDEO , VIDEO --

I'll take up 'residence' in a town and fix all the broken things, mow (and sometimes level) all the lawns, make hills nicer, pick up all the trash, etc. I used to SCREAM when a wandering horde would come through and destroy a bunch of work, but I've gotten better at sensing when they appear and then it becomes some form of mini game.

Coming soon...HOA Z!

The reality is A17e will have many bugs. Why? Because there are about 100 reported bugs in the code currently and they will not all be fixed by the time experimental is released. The point of experimental is to get feedback, polish and fix bugs.

Could you post some? I need a few bugs to report to TFP after A17 release. :fat:

Well, the opposite is sort of true. If A17 releases on a US Monday, it'll be Tuesday in NZ at that time, so we (yeah, I'm a kiwi) kinda get it a day later than the rest of you.

bro - they said before. they didn't say when. whenever when is, we get it before! pure logic.

Roland, is there any plans to update zombies so there more kinds? or do different things... ie... if the radioactive zombies dropped small puddles of radioactive materiel that a player would have to remove in some manner, it could cause gardens to die, players take damage...

bro - they said before. they didn't say when. whenever when is, we get it before! pure logic.

He is afraid that the time and date matters, but it is a world event in steam, so calendar is just doing its work and showing stuff. Does not matter if here is 2AM Tue and where you live is 4PM Mon, update in steam will come at one time for all of us. Welcome to the internet.

The internet.

All the knowledge of the world at your fingertips. Both for good and bad.

Only Atlas makers would hate such a thing ;)

I'm sat in front of a device capable of accessing almost the entire sum of human knowledge, I use it to laugh at cats and to get into arguments with strangers.

I have a question for the modders, with A17 I assume your mods will not work at all? Do you have to hand code all the changes back in ..no copy and paste?

If you made buildings, do they have to be redone? Does all the xml recipes need to be all typed in one at a time? I know you haven't seen the code, but is this how it typically is for each alpha? If so, I feel for you. It could be an huge amount of work. I thank all the modders for their dedication of prolonging the fun of 7dtd and I love seeing each modders vision. I'm hoping to one day to do my own. Is it bad that I spent a crap load of cash to build a new pc just to play A17 but pretended I need it for work?

I can field that. Yes, any existing mod that makes nontrivial changes is unlikely to work as is. Updating a mod for a new Alpha is a major undertaking, but it shouldn't mean rewriting everything from scratch. Most important is a good merge tool - I use Apple's FileMerge. With a merge tool, you load in your mod's old script in one window, and the A17 (vanilla) script in a second window, and the merge tool highlights all the differences. The modder goes through each difference and splices in lines from both files (and writes new script as needed) to come up with a syntactically correct new file that modifies the game as desired while also incorporating A17's new stuff.

As to your new PC, I'm sure it will come in handy for more than just A17. :kiwi-fruit:

My question was "Do they create distant images of single pois, towns or chuncks?" That question can't be fully answered with "yes" :smile-new:

I'm pretty sure distant buildings are generated per POI rather than per town or per chunk. That makes perfect sense for how they're used now, but it also means other things are difficult.

In particular, what is a building? What defines the extent of a building? Sure, a lot of people convert an existing POI, but then you've got people making huge sprawling castles on virgin soil, and they'd want to see their buildings in the distance, too. So the game would need a rule to define a dynamic building, like 'a volume of space ≤ a with a density of player-placed blocks ≥ b.' And even with that, you'll have someone who thinks it's neat to build a railroad track from one end of the map to the other, and wants to see it in the distance.

To make a long story short, if they actually want distant buildings to incorporate player-made changes, I would switch to a generator that calculates things per chunk, and storing that much distant 'building' data may or may not be feasible.

Archived