Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

If there ever was a "rags to riches" award in the gaming community, it should definitely go to The Fun Pimps.

Take a trip down memory lane folks, and watch YT videos of, say, Alpha 6.

They've sure come a long way.

Nice pics!

Nice pics MadMole!

Could any @dev please tell us more about those railings we see in the last picture? How do they work? Is it a separate block from the stairs? Or are they together?

stairs with railings are one block. you have stairs left / right and then middle which have no rails.

He was playing in debug mode. The HP bars are visible then.

Roland, He wasnt playing ,He was developing :) , watch out from people who will take this word on you , lol

DlVVPInU0AA_lce.jpg

DlVVPImUcAA-JwS.jpg

DlVVPIrUwAIcR_J.jpg

this pics are taken on ultra high quality, i have low and mid-low PCs am i going to see difference in the game with those two s***s?

These pics are taken on ultra high quality, I have low and mid-low PCs am i going to see difference in the game with those two s***s?

So the first time I fired up Alpha 16 on my super high end gaming rig the initial results shocked me.

I found that the frame rates on my 10 core i9 at default clock speed aren't any better than my i7 6 core using a GTX 1080 Ti, they were around 60 FPS.

I decided to OC my i9 so I slapped a 36% OC on it and my frame rates went from 60 to 90 instantly so I was definitely being bottlenecked by my CPU clock and not cores in both cases.

I can't really speculate what the performance will be like in Alpha 17 but obviously the faster your CPU is the better, clock is king.

<snipped for space>

You'll likely find at the moment that most of your cores are sitting idle while a couple of them are doing all of the hard work. Expect that to change with the update, multi-threading was an area of great weakness in the unity engine which they're only just getting around to fixing... about five years later than they should have.

You'll likely find at the moment that most of your cores are sitting idle while a couple of them are doing all of the hard work. Expect that to change with the update, multi-threading was an area of great weakness in the unity engine which they're only just getting around to fixing... about five years later than they should have.

That would be nice I certainly didn't spend this much money for half of my CPU to sit idle, I would love to see 150+ FPS.

Crack the whip!

That would be nice I certainly didn't spend this much money for half of my CPU to sit idle, I would love to see 150+ FPS.

Crack the whip!

Cracking the whip won't do much good, this is a unity problem and as such not something TFP have much control over. I'd expect fataal to have made use of the multi-threading job system to speed up pathfinding but that's pure speculation on my part.

Addendum: You won't see any noticable difference above 100fps simply because you can't. The human eye has hardware limitations like everything else.

Cracking the whip won't do much good, this is a unity problem and as such not something TFP have much control over. I'd expect fataal to have made use of the multi-threading job system to speed up pathfinding but that's pure speculation on my part.

Addendum: You won't see any noticable difference above 100fps simply because you can't. The human eye has hardware limitations like everything else.

Yeah I was talking about cracking the whip on my CPU like it is a team of horses.

yeah I hope he took full advantage of multi-threading for the AI because it needs all the help it can get.

Yeah I know my eyes can't really see much past 60 FPS, but I plan on buying a 120/144 Hz monitor at some point and I would like to be able to take advantage of it.

I asked this earlier, and the answer is no, they arent using the multi threaded features of unitys new job system, would take a lot of time to implement, and the feature is still in beta, so could introduce new bugs!

Also, if cide isnt written in a way that supports multithreading/parralel execution, it could break the game and make it unplayable.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I was talking about cracking the whip on my CPU like it is a team of horses.

yeah I hope he took full advantage of multi-threading for the AI because it needs all the help it can get.

Yeah I know my eyes can't really see much past 60 FPS, but I plan on buying a 120/144 Hz monitor at some point and I would like to be able to take advantage of it.

See previous post, sorry my phone sucks

Edit:

On the other hand, running pathing in a new thread is as easy as this(depending on how dependent pathing is some things)

static void Main( )

{

Thread t = new Thread( NewThread );

t.Start();

}

static void NewThread()

{

//code goes here

}

I asked this earlier, and the answer is no, they aren't using the multi threaded features of unitys new job system, would take a lot of time to implement, and the feature is still in beta, so could introduce new bugs!

Hopefully they fully implement multi-threading in Alpha 18.

Would be nice if zombie so ran on a background thread, would enable massive horde nights! Ive seen 5000 bots fighting it out in unity using only 2 threads.

Yeah if AI ran on it's own dedicated cores that would be sweet.

<snipped for space>

The hilarious part is that 90% of the bug reports of unity 2018 are to do with the new rendering pipeline. I've been using the job system for months now and the only bug I've seen is a spurious, and harmless, warning during runtime.

That's how multi-threading works in c# but the unity system is completely different, the unity system is some boilerplate code over a c++ library that allows for manual memory management and uses the "boost" library in the compiler.

Archived