Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

why do we even need that kind of pointless yellow bar? undetected, sensed and hunted text was fine

actually no, the bar can tell the percentage of your stealth like holding torch , candle or light . moving , stopped . hidden > isnt it right like this Roland?

The bar gives better information. I agree that the text was fine but the developers wanted to go in a different direction. The eyeball was an unintentional aiming help which is now gone.

@Roland, I got a question:

We all kinda joke at every Alpha, that it's like a whole new game, since so much stuff changes and gets added. Usually for the better...

This time though, it feels like it's more true than ever with all the overhauls being done.

So, does the gameplay also feel very different now compared to past alphas? (Keeping in mind that things can still change, from the build you tried).

In general....it's still the same game. If you're burnt out who can say whether there will be enough differences to re-light the fire. I've found the best medicine is to take a break and come back rather than playing straight through and then expecting an update to make the difference. There are some big changes from A16 that I think will make the game seem new but at the same time you are still crafting, building, mining, and killing zombies.

I was asking more about the physical stealth than the gui of it. I wanted to know that if I was crouched, quiet and had no open source of light that zombies within the immediate area wouldn't automatically hone in on me like I was sending out a flare and beating on a drum.

I believe so. I'll try testing that too and see how it compares with A16. I do remember sneaking into a town after dark crouched and moving past zombies so it seems to work. I should try it again but purposely make noises to see if it attracts attention. I know in A16 you could chop down a tree while crouched in the dark and zombies would ignore you...

Will night vision goggles ever serve the purpose of actually seeing better during the night? And not seeing much at all without them ?

I guess? I quite like the night vision goggles but can't remember if it was in A17 or A16 that I used them. I don't remember hating them in A16. I keep my gamma at 35% and for my monitor that makes the night pretty dark.

Agreed..nice idea...maybe like a stealth 1 and stealth 2 with points that betters your chance of not being detected.

Ronald ….lol- that kills me every time....QUESTION...have you experimented with tree houses ….confirming Zs can take down trees now??

MTFGA

Zeds definitely target and fell trees in A17. Tree houses will make for nice little outposts to store supplies and maybe do a bit of forging but you won't want to spend a bloodmoon in one and if you get detected by a wandering horde best to descend and lead them away or engage them on the ground.

In A16 the night vision depends a lot on your (real) equipment as well, too. When playing with my friend we both were on default gamma and I could barely make things out in the dark, NVG didn't help me a ton. But they were the difference between being completely blind without a light source and being able to have some idea of where the threats were.

My friend however swore they were 100% useless as it was never dark and he could always see as good if not better without them. I kept telling him he should turn down his gamma if the night wasn't dark but I kept getting the "but the devs set it the way they set want it so it must be right" response.

Zeds definitely target and fell trees in A17. Tree houses will make for nice little outposts to store supplies and maybe do a bit of forging but you won't want to spend a bloodmoon in one and if you get detected by a wandering horde best to descend and lead them away or engage them on the ground.

COOOL!!! Glad to hear it!!

Thx Bud!!

In A16 the night vision depends a lot on your (real) equipment as well, too. When playing with my friend we both were on default gamma and I could barely make things out in the dark, NVG didn't help me a ton. But they were the difference between being completely blind without a light source and being able to have some idea of where the threats were.

My friend however swore they were 100% useless as it was never dark and he could always see as good if not better without them. I kept telling him he should turn down his gamma if the night wasn't dark but I kept getting the "but the devs set it the way they set want it so it must be right" response.

Perhaps the brightness on his tv/monitor is set too high? The devs have no control over that and it's a cheeky trick used by gamers when the option to set the gamma in a game is missing.

Perhaps the brightness on his tv/monitor is set too high? The devs have no control over that and it's a cheeky trick used by gamers when the option to set the gamma in a game is missing.

Yeah, I know he wasn't trying to cheat like some people do. He just didn't seem to grasp that that's a setting for adjusting to differences in monitors and not an "as intended" thing. Some displays just naturally have a lot more definition in the almost-darks than others even if they look right to you overall.

Many games that have a gamma adjustment and do give you a guide to set it are wrong anyway and you need to make it much brighter than it says. Otherwise all the blacks just get clumped together into full black and you can simply walk into completely invisible things in the shadows which is not right. So almost everyone I know just ignores the guide and sets it to how the game really looks. But that really depends on your monitor/TV(and some of those are capable of better dark definition than they have by default but may require getting into hidden menus to correct).

The bar gives better information. I agree that the text was fine but the developers wanted to go in a different direction. The eyeball was an unintentional aiming help which is now gone.

Wait what. How am I meant to aim now. Oh the Horror!!!!! :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Madmole, Faatal, Roland ,

Quick question in regards to zombie respawns.....

In A16 I have a vanilla game on my server...I have taken over a 5 story building in a city along with the same building down the road for Horde nights. Even with bedrolls and LAND Claim blocks in both buildings (2 people playing together to maximize hordes} with 30 x 30 x 30 coverage, I am still getting quite a few zombie spawns in both buildings.

Will this, has this been fixed for A17....will Claim blocks/Bedrolls actually stop the spawns in a POI??

2nd question...would it be possible to get fluorescent colors that can bee seen in the dark or through night vision...Would be cool to leave directional markers for friends for night time. Or will additional colors be added in general??

Regards,

Ouch

MTFGA

They were redid stealth for A16 and the smell system wasn't compatible. They have worked more on stealth for A17 but still haven't gotten around to smell.

Well, to be honest with zombies decaying, bits falling and fallen off it has always perplexed me how they would smell in the first place... :p

Some monitors are naturally brighter than others. I recently upgraded to a 4k monitor, and the default setting was enough to sting my eyes. I had to play with brightness and contrast quite a bit to get it to where it was comfortable to view my desktop and use most programs, and it still seems too bright for 7dtd. I had to start turning the gamma settings in the game down.

I really hope TFP are going for a stealth bar that is a glowing affect, it fades in and out based on a chance that you might be detected, kinda of like the game Thief which is my favorite stealth game. the first 2 Thief games had amazing AI and stealth which reminds me I need to play the new Thief game even the reviews is lower than the first two.

Some monitors are naturally brighter than others. I recently upgraded to a 4k monitor, and the default setting was enough to sting my eyes. I had to play with brightness and contrast quite a bit to get it to where it was comfortable to view my desktop and use most programs, and it still seems too bright for 7dtd. I had to start turning the gamma settings in the game down.

I doubt most people bother setting their monitor up correctly in the first place. They'll fiddle with game settings all day but the monitor remains on factory settings.

I set mine up for movies, that's what it generally gets used for. Anything after that can be set by the OS/program.

I doubt most people bother setting their monitor up correctly in the first place. They'll fiddle with game settings all day but the monitor remains on factory settings.

I set mine up for movies, that's what it generally gets used for. Anything after that can be set by the OS/program.

I have mine on a lowlight smooth mode usually. It's just nicer on the eyes.

My monitors automatically switched mode when I'm gaming. Nice qol... The little things :)

Madmole, Faatal, Roland ,

Quick question in regards to zombie respawns.....

In A16 I have a vanilla game on my server...I have taken over a 5 story building in a city along with the same building down the road for Horde nights. Even with bedrolls and LAND Claim blocks in both buildings (2 people playing together to maximize hordes} with 30 x 30 x 30 coverage, I am still getting quite a few zombie spawns in both buildings.

Will this, has this been fixed for A17....will Claim blocks/Bedrolls actually stop the spawns in a POI??

2nd question...would it be possible to get fluorescent colors that can bee seen in the dark or through night vision...Would be cool to leave directional markers for friends for night time. Or will additional colors be added in general??

Regards,

Ouch

MTFGA

Land claims have zero effect on zed spawn. Your bedroll only covers a 15x15 area, with the top of the bedroll being the center. You can change the bedroll coverage area in the serverconfig xml. HOWEVER, this effect is only on when the bedroll owner is present, so if you are on a server, and your friend is offline, zeds can spawn in that area.

Archived