Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

There is no class system. Instead you pick the set of skills and perks you want and eventually your character will develop into a specialized character.

A couple of related questions to do with character progression...

1. I gather that the basic progression system is still:

Do <variety of stuff> -> gain xp -> increase in level -> get given points -> spend points on perks

1. Are there still some active skills that are increased more directly (like Athletics or weapon skills)?

Do <specific activity> -> increase skill

2. What about the ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, etc.)? Do they increase through action? Do you spend points on them? Or something else?

[*]With the new Food/Water/Health/Stamina system there is no more "Wellness". What happens when you die?

This has been asked before, If I remember correct 80%/20%. Where 80% are Dungeons.

i dont want them to be all over the place. coz as far as i know, there must be a boss in each of them.. so if its every where iam going to have ton of good loot . if bosses dont drop good loot . this will be disappointing

i dont want them to be all over the place. coz as far as i know, there must be a boss in each of them.. so if its every where iam going to have ton of good loot . if bosses dont drop good loot . this will be disappointing

I understand. I just hope they are not too large. Since I always prefer to build my base inside a prefab. Would be a shame if the houses will become so large that it will be extra hard to build your defenses.

this sound bad for multiplayer servers, these are only cabinets and fridge?

My guess anything that is lootable. Basically things will respawn depending on the settings you have and when you loot something only those spots will have something in them again. Cabinets and such that are not lootable will stay non lootable.

I know not much will probably change in A17 so it is what it is. But hopefully this can be worked on more and such so it feels fresh every time and not feel like a repeat type feel.

I understand. I just hope they are not too large. Since I always prefer to build my base inside a prefab. Would be a shame if the houses will become so large that it will be extra hard to build your defenses.

we have to wait and see .. i can imagine finishing one poi. and next time i see it i go on top to the last room and break down directly to the boss . hopefully they will balance things out.

and BTW is there any poi specific to a biom ? (like wont spawn except to the forest . burnt biom etc)

My guess anything that is lootable. Basically things will respawn depending on the settings you have and when you loot something only those spots will have something in them again. Cabinets and such that are not lootable will stay non lootable.

I know not much will probably change in A17 so it is what it is. But hopefully this can be worked on more and such so it feels fresh every time and not feel like a repeat type feel.

From what I understand the lootability of a cabinet is determined on generation.

Two identical houses are spawned, each with three cabinets (A, B and C). In the first building cabinets A and C are lootable while in the second building only cabinet B is lootable. The first house will only ever have cabinets A and C lootable but (depending on settings) the loot in those cabinets will respawn. Conversely, the second building will only ever have cabinet B lootable but that will also respawn according to the settings.

i missunderstand the feature so its fine. i was thinking about these which show as open/closed, i thought they will not respawn

From what I understand the lootability of a cabinet is determined on generation.

Two identical houses are spawned, each with three cabinets (A, B and C). In the first building cabinets A and C are lootable while in the second building only cabinet B is lootable. The first house will only ever have cabinets A and C lootable but (depending on settings) the loot in those cabinets will respawn. Conversely, the second building will only ever have cabinet B lootable but that will also respawn according to the settings.

Yes, maybe my wording wasn't understandable. I understand all that. What I am saying is I come to house B and loot when I come back to that same house if loot respawn is turned on then it will be the same way as the first time. I hope at some point later this can become a random thing. First time fridge is open and 2nd time th fridge is closed. Maybe a bandit came by and stayed at the house and left something. I don't know just hope that it becomes random down the road.

Some Findings:

1) I was able to fight dogs from a tree house. I spawned in 25 of them and they did not attack the tree and I killed them all using a crossbow from above.

2) The crossbow is every bit as Everdeen as the bow.

3) Beer and Grain Alcohol are working very differently now. Not sure if they are broken or if they have a new effect or what. I got a message that whatever their effect was would last for 3 seconds. I think it must not be hooked up properly yet.

4) The mix of lootable/non-lootable containers in a POI do not randomly reshuffle at respawn time.

5) Stealth is pretty awesome now. Making noise increases the value and you can be spotted now at night if you aren't careful. But if you are careful you can sneak past zombies who are just five meters away from you and they won't see you. Better yet the distraction feature of throwing a rock works better than I have ever seen it. Quite a bit of fun actually to sneak around with a stack of rocks to lure zombies away from your intended path.

Nice!

Explain to me what you mean by extended aim drift with an example if you please. I read your original question about it but am not sure what you are referring to.

in a 16.4 you can sneak around with a bow or crossbow in hand. the center of the eyeball and the arrow point will be lined up. after a while, you will notice that the arrow and the eyeball will start to drift apart, so if you aim by the arrow instead of the eye, the arrow or bolt will fly wide. hence aim drift. it was brought up last year as a bug that was never really addressed.

sneak around about 5-10 minutes of active shooting. swapping weapons would usually fix this, but not good when say facing a horde to unnecessarily swap

[quote=A Nice Cup of Tea;

[*]With the new Food/Water/Health/Stamina system there is no more "Wellness". What happens when you die?

This is interesting question, Roland what kind of death-penalty is now in A17? Is possible make 2 different death-penalty? For PVE and PVP?

This is interesting question, Roland what kind of death-penalty is now in A17? Is possible make 2 different death-penalty? For PVE and PVP?

I read somewhere then when u will die you will be directily punished by losing statistic point ... as i understand so you die you lose exemple 2 point in minning ... things like that .... my number are realtive but its the way its supose to work

Here the Post i read

The overhaul process (Progression):

With the new system we wanted to be able to have chunkier skills and perks and less of the incremental gains. With that we wanted to be able to punish the player through their progression stats via illnesses and injuries to keep things interesting. While testing I noticed the skills system made tons of garbage and we don't want that so I went in and redid it to be lightweight and to not make garbage to clean up.

When the feature list for a patch continues to get longer and the release date gets pushed back further it's the logical conclusion. You don't have to be a fly on the wall to figure out 2+2=4

But keep up the white knighting, I'm used to it

I've not seen a new feature added but that list was NEVER the full list. It was what Roland was allowed to post. You have access to their internal list? And, if you are used to "the white knighting" as you call it, that must mean you whine non-stop or something. That may reflect more on you than the "white knighters". But call me anything you want. It doesn't bother me.

Some Findings:

1) I was able to fight dogs from a tree house. I spawned in 25 of them and they did not attack the tree and I killed them all using a crossbow from above.

2) The crossbow is every bit as Everdeen as the bow.

3) Beer and Grain Alcohol are working very differently now. Not sure if they are broken or if they have a new effect or what. I got a message that whatever their effect was would last for 3 seconds. I think it must not be hooked up properly yet.

4) The mix of lootable/non-lootable containers in a POI do not randomly reshuffle at respawn time.

5) Stealth is pretty awesome now. Making noise increases the value and you can be spotted now at night if you aren't careful. But if you are careful you can sneak past zombies who are just five meters away from you and they won't see you. Better yet the distraction feature of throwing a rock works better than I have ever seen it. Quite a bit of fun actually to sneak around with a stack of rocks to lure zombies away from your intended path.

Or you could use them the lure them into traps or maybe even off of cliffs.

Will night vision goggles ever serve the purpose of actually seeing better during the night? And not seeing much at all without them ?

I have no problem seeing with the A16 version of the night vision goggles. They worked as good as their real life counterparts.

I have no problem seeing with the A16 version of the night vision goggles. They worked as good as their real life counterparts.

if memory serves (as spock would say), i do believe there are different types of night scopes... infra red (grainy) and there is assisted (star light night scopes and grainy also), and then there is the digital that gives the clearer bluish view. i used the star light scopes when i was in the military, these were not the preferred ones to use in total darkness as the name implies they do need some light source to be effective. the ones in game tend to remind me of the star light ones.

To get back on track:

I have some questions about weapons, that I haven't been able to find on the forum.

With the overhaul to the weapon system:

Will there be new weapon types incoming?

Different varieties of the same weapon? (Like wood club and iron club).

Or will it be the same class of weapons as now.

I understand that you presumably mod a weapon to get different use and feel out of it. But was just curious about the full scope of it all...

Archived