PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!

themirror

PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!  

462 members have voted

1. 1. PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!

• doors
    • hatches
    • drawbridges
    • All of the above
    • None of the above

FYI, This idea is on the bubble. Devs aren't sure it's warranted to have doors, hatches, and drawbidges be electrically powered. We need to get this thread to ten pages at least showing support and examples and ideas of how having powered doors, hatches, and drawbridges could enhance gameplay. If you have any desire to see this inA17 then speak up!

10 pages huh.. well add my wish for electric drawbridges and garage doors. I like other open close options for the electricity too.

Perhaps have manual interaction be slower than if it has an electrical opener?

...drawbridge makes sense, the rest of the doors should be left the f alone unless there is ALSO an option for manual opening.

Perhaps a magnetic lock component, which necessitates the door being broken, rather than the lock just picked (for when lock picking is a thing).

Increase of the doors defensive value (if automated electrical) plus add mechanical parts to the repair cost to balance it out. Maybe also if you run out of juice while away you need to use the lock pick mechanic to reopen it for you?!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh +1 for electrical doors as well!!

Perhaps have manual interaction be slower than if it has an electrical opener?

...drawbridge makes sense, the rest of the doors should be left the f alone unless there is ALSO an option for manual opening.

Perhaps a magnetic lock component, which necessitates the door being broken, rather than the lock just picked (for when lock picking is a thing).

Prime said that in his plan doors would still be able to be opened manually. If the door was powered to be open you could close it but then it would immediately open again if the power was still connected and that was how it was set to affect the door and if it was closed you could manually open it but it would immediately close again for the same reason. He said it would be easy to create a screen similar to the trigger screens where you could choose how you would want the power to affect the door or drawbridge

I would love to see electricity enhanced doors and portals. I like the idea of an powered drawbridge, just so long as you get a manually operated drawbridge, too (from what Roland indicated, that seems to be part of the plan).

If necessary, make the manual drawbridge have a slower animation that you must wait for, which adds risk to operating it when a horde is around. The powered drawbridge could operate a bit faster, making it the more optimal choice for the advanced electrical engineer survivor.

Pressure plates to trigger the doors operations is an awesome idea. However - I wonder if this could have its pitfalls when a Z train comes through. I expect that the zombies could inadvertently activate a pressure plate, and open your base right up... :p

about the poll: i dont need electric hatches.

But doors (especially garagedoors) and drawbridge is an absolute yes!!!

+4 ;)

I think that I don't need electric hatches too, but some players need, and they can bring awesome ideas of new base designs.

I personally like the electric drawbridge above all other options, because I love to build multiple pits filled with traps for late game and I usually build drawbridges to remove the access to my base/bunker.

- - - Updated - - -

I do NOT want electricity on my doors.

The only way I would get behind electric doors was some sort of massive super heavy duty door like a fortress gate.

nobody says that it will be a "super heavy duty door". It's a regular door, regular drawbridge, etc.

Electric doors and windows would be sweet - hit a panic button and all the windows and doors are shut. I am imagining steel shutters closing over the windows...

I really like this idea, and that of automatic garage door openers, drawbridges, and portcullis/gates.

What I don't want to see is them making it so vault doors and hatches now require electricity in order to use properly.

-A

I really like this idea, and that of automatic garage door openers, drawbridges, and portcullis/gates.

What I don't want to see is them making it so vault doors and hatches now require electricity in order to use properly.

-A

In my opinion, those doors should be a different door than we have for now... @Roland mentioned that the doors should open/close without electricity, so, they will open/close without energy as normal doors.

In none of the scenarios would power be mandatory. So people that like doors and drawbridges being powered but not hatches (why?) would simply not hook up power to their hatches. Prime said that adding power to portals would not replace manual portals.

You would only vote against this if you felt the concept is a bad idea and don't want any dev time spent on it. Even if it is implemented it would in no way change the game for those who never use it.

It's on the bubble because the devs consider it as a bit of scope creep. They don't see it is as critical and unless there was a huge amount of fan feedback in favor of it they would spend their time on other priorities.

I think most people who came from Minecraft probably just assumed doors would be powered and haven't said anything. Now is the time to say something because the assumption is wrong. Dev inclination right now is to not do it from a priorities standpoint.

In none of the scenarios would power be mandatory. So people that like doors and drawbridges being powered but not hatches (why?) would simply not hook up power to their hatches. Prime said that adding power to portals would not replace manual portals.

You would only vote against this if you felt the concept is a bad idea and don't want any dev time spent on it. Even if it is implemented it would in no way change the game for those who never use it.

It's on the bubble because the devs consider it as a bit of scope creep. They don't see it is as critical and unless there was a huge amount of fan feedback in favor of it they would spend their time on other priorities.

I think most people who came from Minecraft probably just assumed doors would be powered and haven't said anything. Now is the time to say something because the assumption is wrong. Dev inclination right now is to not do it from a priorities standpoint.

Hatches eletrically powered until now does not have a "useful proof" (we all apreciate any ideas to rethink our bases), doors, drawbridge, garage doors has some examples of use. Maybe the devs can consider to add 1 door to electricity group (I think the best candidate is the jail door, because it makes more sense in terms of "realism") and the drawbridge/garage door. If the playes still demanding more options, the devs can think about it to futures alphas.

Of course it is not a critical dev demand, but also isn't a complex modification.

The matter here is not because Minecraft has all doors powered, it's to bring more options to players and a better sense of realism in the game... On my house (in rl), I have a electric garage door and I don't have a blade trap, so why in the game I can make a blade trap and I can't have a electric garage door? :D

Yeah some remote for drawbridges and garage doors would make life easier, also it would be realistic ,if you already have electricity and motion sensor , for sure survivors would also be able to install remote controles for gates

I love the thought of luring a group of zombies into a killzone, then hitting the switch that flips open the hatches hiding your turrets. :)

+1

I registered here just to post in this thread. I can think of lots of uses for powered doors, draw bridges, trap doors, etc.

Drawbridge: Your base is above ground. Dig a 3 block wide, 30 block deep trench all the way around it and fill the bottom of the trench with log spikes, only way in is via drawbridge. Horde night comes, get inside your base, retract the bridge, laugh as zombies kill themselves on the log spikes at the bottom of the trench.

Trap Doors: You base is built into the side of a cliff face. Dig a long, narrow 1 or 2 block wide hallway as the entrance to your base, long enough that cops can't puke at you from the other end of the hall. Dig a 30 block deep pit under the entrance hallway and put log spikes at the bottom. Use trap doors as the hallway floor. Horde night comes, open trap doors and watch as zombies march to their deaths, falling onto the log spikes as they try to get to you.

Automatic Doors: Feed power to door from pressure plates that toggle power (might require logic gates). Feed power to pressure plates from switch, to switch from power source. Have automatic doors in your base. Flip switch to disable power so zombies can't open doors when they walk over pressure plates.

Trap Doors as defense windows, powered by pressure plates: Trap doors set vertically in wall. Power fed from pressure plate at base of wall (like the automatic doors), pressure plate fed from switch or directly from power source. Stand in position at window (on pressure plate), window opens, kill zombies, step away (off plate), window closes.

I'm sure I could come with loads more way to utilize powered doors and bridges and trap doors etc.

It would be cool to be able to adjust the speed at which the door opens. With hatches if you could have the doors open quickly and forcefully they could be flingers or catapults to launch zombies that walk on them. Could be a fun way to get to the top of your base if you aim the door properly...

I'm definitely in favor of having at least powered drawbridges as having some way to automate their opening when you're coming back home with your minibike would be awesome. That's especially so when you're on a server, making a base with other people and the drawbridge gets left open accidentally and a dog horde comes by.

I would make unholy mouth noises to have the ability to operate a drawbridge with a switch or pressure plate. Other doors would be cool but drawbridge operated that way would be downright amazing. Please, please consider it!

Archived