PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!

themirror

PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!  

462 members have voted

1. 1. PIMP TALK: Electricity + Doors - Your help is needed!!

• doors
    • hatches
    • drawbridges
    • All of the above
    • None of the above

Turrets should've been universal and allowed for any gun to be equipped, and the dart shooter should've been a spring launcher more like Minecraft's dispenser and allowed to be loaded with darts, molotov's, pipe bombs, etc.

OMG that'd be so cool. Infinite possibilities!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm in 100% for more powered options.

It's been quite a few moments thinking that "this thing should be powered" like hooking up a fridge (for/if spoilage comes along), hooking up a oven to use as a campfire, the doors and drawbridges in particular.

To sum it up. More powered things!

/Holo

This is a definite yes. If you're on a bike you can't just tool into base, you have to stop, get off the bike, open the door, get on the bike, drive it in, stop, get off the bike, close the door, get on the bike, and drive it into the base. If the door was set on a motion detector or trip wire you could just drive up and through and it would open and close on its own. (Any zombies that wander in are your problem.)

I'm also imagining a pig trap. It wouldn't work with spawns as they are now, but wouldn't it be nice if you could make bait out of corn that would attract pigs and deer? Maybe something that attracts a pig or deer, it stays briefly, then wanders away and despawns? This way you'd need to camp it normally for it to be effective, and you're giving up time to do that.

They trap feral pigs by making an enclosure with a one-way door and baiting it. Come back to the trap and shoot the pig. You would have to be near it to make the pig not despawn but this might be a nice perk while you're in the base for the night to have a pig get trapped and wait for you. Sure this would make food easier to get but by the time you have the generator and switches you're not in danger of starving anyway, and it's a nice environmental enrichment idea.

Electricity for drawbridge, vault doors and garage doors yes. Remote door opener would be cool. So +1 for the idea.

BUT on the top ten list for things for the devs to work on, this would be #497 imho. Fixing zombie AI and animal behaviour, optimizing the game, more weapon options, more vehicle options, fixing farming, implementing food spoilage... the list goes on and electric doors while cool just have no priority for me compared to fixing core game issues and game play.

Mad Moxxxie's underdome!

I thought that having electrically operated doors and such would be a fun way to make live traps for zombies as well as PLAYERS.

Imagine you're playing online, just casually searching houses when WHAM! The door slams shut behind you and the place is lit up with blinking lights and neon signs! A voice on a speaker blares, "WELCOME CONTESTANT TO THE 7 DAYS GAME SHOOOOOW!!!!"

Maybe they have to solve puzzles to unlock doors. Maybe opening the wrong doors activates traps! Maybe trap doors drop zombies from the ceiling if you run out of time!

Other than awesome game shows, this would add a great way to remotely control the flow of zombies/hostile players to your base.

It could work like an upgrade.

I would make some kind of motorized door upgrade that you would equip and place on an already existing door, rather than make it its own crafting recipe. Maybe draw bridges and garage doors would use 2 of them because they're heavier. Whatever the case, this would allow you to open or close them with a trigger: pressure plate, switch, button, etc. They should also act as a switch themselves, so you can have door alarms or traps activated by opening of doors. This could also be a separate equip-able upgrade. Then you could use timers to make a door that automatically shuts itself after some time goes by.

OMG creating rooms with doors that shut when a player enters would be lit for PvP! Nice traps! And I have even another idea...

Do you guys know the "hatch elevator"?

Currently if an elevator lifts from the first floor to the third, there is no way to stop at the second. But with automatic hatches you could pull a lever to open 1 hatch at the second level, effectively stopping there. We could even build a skyscraper and with a series of levers you could decide at which floor you want to go.

I want to refresh my +1 and keep this thread running, because this is a Important topic to me, as automated sensoric Doors and gates are a viable option for Live and active towerdefending.

Opening and shutting a door on hordenight can become your deathsentence, especially with those heavy Vaultdoors.

Opening it with sensors beforehand and automatically shutting behind you after a set amount of seconds (motion sensors are awesome) will make tactical placement of noncheese bases more immersive.

Ever went into a Wallmart and had to open a door? No? Me neither.

Part of that reason being, because i live in germany but here even the lowest tier discounter have automatic doors on entrance and exit.

I have no problems, with adding in some automation for doors, hatches, etc, as long as it is appropriate version, or it requires a motor to be attached, ie. at Vault door becomes a vault door with motor, a wood door becomes a wood door with motor....

This is mostly because it seems silly to have a wooden door or vault door for that matter, that opens without some mechanism for actually opening it electrically.

Do you guys know the "hatch elevator"?

Currently if an elevator lifts from the first floor to the third, there is no way to stop at the second. But with automatic hatches you could pull a lever to open 1 hatch at the second level, effectively stopping there. We could even build a skyscraper and with a series of levers you could decide at which floor you want to go.

The hatch elevator is a bit of a bug or at least an exploit. What you suggest would be cool, I will agree, but it would be better if the option existed for a real elevator, even though I think that a elevator that a single survivor could build would be rather rudimentary. Sorry, realism.

The hatch elevator is a bit of a bug or at least an exploit. What you suggest would be cool, I will agree, but it would be better if the option existed for a real elevator, even though I think that a elevator that a single survivor could build would be rather rudimentary. Sorry, realism.

Hey, I used to be able to make some pretty intricately machined firearms parts just using some clay molds in a stone forge. I don't do that anymore, mind you, but I bet with a workbench I could rig up a sophisticated lift that could rival anything any of the Trump Towers might have. ;)

Hey, I used to be able to make some pretty intricately machined firearms parts just using some clay molds in a stone forge. I don't do that anymore, mind you, but I bet with a workbench I could rig up a sophisticated lift that could rival anything any of the Trump Towers might have. ;)

it's cause Trumps more interested in WALLS not elevators , elevator could possibly help people over a wall so that's no good for Trump , can't keep people safe with elevators built all willy nilly every where , that's why i always take the stairs .... any how what where we talking about again? ......o h yeah blue berry PIE

Yes, Ok. I would like to see them, here and other places, but I would envision that it would be a complex multipart build, A cage, or platform, rope (maybe from a zip line), block and tackle (zip line mechanical parts?), some sort of winch (motor, gearing (mechanical parts) and zip line), maybe a counter weight. I would not envision it being a single block, but a group of blocks that can work together.

I don't know if the game engine currently has this capabilities.

This is a bit off topic though.

if TFP implements a real elevator, like a cargo elevator and the electric doors/bridge, my dreams become real :D

Archived