I think it's time for a bigger backpack

Reth

Special slots for ammo, scrap, or anything else would just be more limiting. If they do that, it means they are deciding for you that these items are more important than others.

People will always want more space, the same way they'll want bigger stacks, more zombies on screen, and so on. It's a natural reaction to the inconvenience of bumping up against a limit. In general, there's a limit for a reason, whether by design or necessity, so the developers should resist this constant pressure.

However, I think the point that there's a wider variety of things to loot now has some merit. My take is we're just caught in the middle, after they've added more stuff but before they've added more backpack options. As I recall from Q&A videos, they do want to add them.

I think it would be really cool to start on Day 1 with just a belt, and as you scavenge you pick up the first moldy backpack or purse you find, because it's all you have. Then later you can develop your tailoring skills or what have you and craft something better.

id AGREE BUT IT SHOULDBE A SPEICAL FIND, BUT BECAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR WHEN IT WAS BROUGT UP IN THE Q AND A IT SOUDED LIKE THEY WERE PLANNING ON STARTIGN YOU OFF WITH LESS SPACE AND BEING ABLE TO EXPAND UPTO WHAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE. SO ENJOY THE FACT YOU HAVE A BIG BAG NOW BEFORE YOU LOSE IT :)

- - - Updated - - -

opps capps

I'd actually be okay with a smaller starting inventory and a larger end-game one being available (perhaps ranging 50% of current to 150% of current) once backpacks are implemented as a clothing slot.

Something like

50% at base

75% fairly east to craft (plant fibers and cloth) or find (old backpacks on the ground, etc.)

100% requiring a tad more work (leather and/or hide)

125% and 150% requiring higher end materials (military fibers, etc.)

• 1 year later...
Just to clarify - when I suggested a "perk". I didn't mean a perk in the skill system. I mean a perk as it is in real life. A heavy duty bag can carry more weight than a light sports bag. Or a bag with thermal insulation in it can carry foods longer without spoiling than a thin bag made of cheap material. I was just suggesting each bag would have its own pros and cons based on its material and intended usage. It wouldn't be something you'd have to 'earn' - it's just a choice in what you want. Kinda like how short sleeve shirts are intended for hot climates and long sleeves for cold - nothing more complicated than that.

Good information. Getting some knowledge as a newbie... :strawberry::strawberry:

So, how about a weight based system then? Bet that would cause some arguments. The backpack is fine if you prioritize. go grab a backpack and stick an anvil and a couple hundred small stones in there, see how far you get!

A leather coat and poncho are fine for most biomes, one space for food one for water couple for tools couple for weapons/ammo and you're set.

Why make it easier when so many complain about how bored they get by day 21? Why not just start with everything you need in a warehouse you spawn in? Challenge and decision making are a large part of the game, inventory plays its part in that. Making it easier to loot massive amounts with less risk causes as many problems as it solves.

Said it once and I’ll say it again. Inventory management should be a thing. The starting backpack needs to be smaller and we work up to the current one. Choices matter.

I agree.

I also think that loot should be partially reworked by TFP.

I am in favor or simplifying things, so removing some items, increasing some stack sizes.

Managing items in this game is a tedious work, certainly not fun. So maybe TFP should look into that.

If the game becomes so easy in the first few days. What is the incentive to continue? Its a survival game and has to be difficult, if there is nothing to strive for it becomes pointless.As others have said , being smart about it keeps any tedium to a minimum.

The existing backpack is way too generous already and raising space or stack size will make it far too easy too quickly.

If you want to build huge structures i can imagine tedium setting in and maybe there could be options for that. The game needs to be harder not easier and i ,for one, would much rather have some tedium than play an arcade game you lose interest in after 30 mins.

i thought its already confirmed that u start with less space than a16 but investing in STR gives u more space at the end. seems fair 2 me.

It is. This thread was necroed from back in 2016 so the OP is deceiving. This is exactly why we have a rule against necroing old threads....

I remember a certian member who is now a super mod that used to join in on dead thread journeys ;)

Ha! That was different. We tried NOT to be noticed. It was the underground silliness made possible because the whole first page of the Announcements thread used to be stickies so dead threads could be danced in without fear... ;)

I'd engage in that sort of fun in this day and age except that a certain forum member placed a tracker on me and my posts...

Ha! That was different. We tried NOT to be noticed. It was the underground silliness made possible because the whole first page of the Announcements thread used to be stickies so dead threads could be danced in without fear... ;)

I'd engage in that sort of fun in this day and age except that a certain forum member placed a tracker on me and my posts...

Sounds like someone who's subterranean and a bit hangry.

Malthis didn’t rat them out to anyone. He was the one who would find them and close them down. He sent a PM to me suggesting it was best if moderators didn’t participate. I didn’t agree but I also wasn’t going to reopen any threads he closed and he had worked so hard on revamping the rules I thought I should support him.

After that there was IRC...and now there’s discord. But I have zero time for side convos on discord.

Sorry 30 discord notifications....

Archived