I think it's time for a bigger backpack

Reth

A lot of new items were added and some old items were made useful. I think it's time for a bigger backpack or a way to upgrade the default one.

I'm not asking for 10x, of course, but 25% or 50% increase would be nice. May be add a perk? Or something expensive off a trader?

A lot of new items were added and some old items were made useful. I think it's time for a bigger backpack or a way to upgrade the default one.

I'm not asking for 10x, of course, but 25% or 50% increase would be nice. May be add a perk? Or something expensive off a trader?

I completely disagree. Inventory management is a staple of any survival game, especially 7DTD. Inventory management forces a choice on the player, which is a great thing. Not enough games force the player into making a meaningful choice.

The way I wish they go about it is you start off with just a tool belt and have to make one from grass. Then we move onto trying to make a better ones or finding them.

back packs craftable

-Grass fiber to make a backpack or pouch of grass

-Cloth and duct-tape to make a backpack

-animal hide mixed with cloth and duct tape

-Leather backpack mixed with some cloth

-Military fiber backpack

some rare backpacks as well like

-schoolgirl backpack

-briefcase with duct tape strands

-a bag of potatoes

-camping backpack

-scrap metal backpack

At some point having to fix and or reinforce your backpack so you don't drop items would be cool to see as well.

I would like the option to have at least 3 types.

1. Backpack- current size (no speed loss and stanima loss)

2. Rucksack- Double the current size ( 25% speed loss and 25% more stanima use)

3. Travelers pack- One extra row or storage other than your tool belt (+25% speed and less stanima use)

To unlock the ruck sack you need to unlock the perk to equip it and find a book to craft it.

To unlock the Travelers pack, you just need to unlock the recipe (or may be you start with just this and need to unlock backpack)

Another thing i would like to see is the stack sizes adjusted. In A15 wood stacks to 5000 but rocks, iron and all others do not.

I want more inventory space. I have to take a lot of things as my basic kit for exploring that when it comes down to it I am already down a toolbelt and top row for space. I'd be ok with it either being an item upgrade with the backpacks and different effects were an interesting idea you have above. I would also accept it as a perk option because I am loving having the many perks to make your character your way. I'd also like a temperature perk option where it could be a 5 rank and always aims for center heat.

id AGREE BUT IT SHOULDBE A SPEICAL FIND, BUT BECAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR WHEN IT WAS BROUGT UP IN THE Q AND A IT SOUDED LIKE THEY WERE PLANNING ON STARTIGN YOU OFF WITH LESS SPACE AND BEING ABLE TO EXPAND UPTO WHAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE. SO ENJOY THE FACT YOU HAVE A BIG BAG NOW BEFORE YOU LOSE IT :)

- - - Updated - - -

id AGREE BUT IT SHOULDBE A SPEICAL FIND, BUT BECAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR WHEN IT WAS BROUGT UP IN THE Q AND A IT SOUDED LIKE THEY WERE PLANNING ON STARTIGN YOU OFF WITH LESS SPACE AND BEING ABLE TO EXPAND UPTO WHAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE. SO ENJOY THE FACT YOU HAVE A BIG BAG NOW BEFORE YOU LOSE IT :)

opps capps

Yes, i agree. There should be more variety. Inv management need is fine, but dont force it too hard on players. It can be gated behind expensive or lategame stuff.

However i'd also like something like a buildable cart i can pull. It would have much more storage, but slow your movement and drain stamina.

Would allow a nomad-playstyle, id really like to try this sometime, especially now that we can pickup crafting stations etc.

I believe the plan is to implement backpacks as a real clothing item at some point, with different choices of size as others are suggesting.

Don't hold your breath on pushable wheel barrows or shopping carts. Those sound like a big pain to animate.

They would be the easiest thing to animate, its basically wheels spinning, this could be achieved inside unity very easily.

Instead of backpack, how about more storage for minibike? Like a cart to tow behind. It could increase capacity while slowing it down. You could probably outrun walkers but runners and dogs might catch you. I'd settle for a wheelbarrow to push around.

Not everyone has a minibike. You have to find a book on building one and if you don't find that no matter what you have it can't be built.

I think there should be a way to get bigger backpacks, a perk or something that will allow you to buy it, or make a larger one. Example: You can make one that has more room, say 10 slots, for 10, 15 or even 20 hide, some cloth and fibers. Perhaps need hide and leather to make it. Something that means you have to chose to get a bigger one for those, like me, who carry what some see as not needed but I think is.

Starting out, you need to carry wood, stone, fiber and come cloth. You will have water, med kit, maybe food if you plan to be gone from your base more than a day. When I have advanced enough to have iron or steel items, I carry forged iron and steel; never know when I just might need to remake something. Go out not planning on needing a shovel but found a deposit of clay and remembered I needed some clay for my forge. Had to make a shovel to dig it up.

Choosing what to keep and toss is both easy and hard. Brass, lead, gunpowder, paper, glass, easy, toss as I have no interest in using guns. canned food, iron, hide, meat, bottled water, some empty jars or even murky water I can put in the campfire to cook to make clean those I see at times as necessary. Chrysanthemum, goldenrod, yep, pick those for drinks to help with health and keep cool. Feathers, eggs, tools, cable, engines, batteries, headlights, pipes, clay, stone, wood, coal are all important items to collect. Yes, I can go out and focus on just getting wood and stone, but if I am near a POI I will stop to see if they have something that I need, am still trying to find schematics on making wrenches and claw hammers. Tools, batteries, engines all take up a slot, so if I find three batteries that is three slots taken.

I would like to see another row of slots for the inventory. If a person want's to carry less, they can do so, but for those who think/want more, I don't see any harm in setting up a way they can have it but have to "pay" for it with some form of cost, even if buying it from a trader when alpha 15 is finished.

They would be the easiest thing to animate, its basically wheels spinning, this could be achieved inside unity very easily.

What's the player look like while pushing the cart?

Unless you're content to just bump it along with your belly, then you have the player, the cart, and the ground all needing to stay in contact with each other. This is different than the minibike, where the player just attaches to the seat. A 2-body system that both walks and rolls over arbitrarily-shaped terrain would be a pain to make look good. Not impossible, but when's the last time you moved a wagon, rickshaw, lawn mower, baby stroller, etc. in a 3D game with non-flat ground?

There's some good ideas in this thread. While I believe this is an area you have to be very cautious about due to the game balance, I think there's room for improvement in the backpack area. I'd like to see some sort of perk system tied to various different types of pack types. Hypothetically, assuming it's feasible to add in dynamic stack limits based on storage type - i'd like to have a variety of different types of backpacks with different strengths and weaknesses.

I also like the idea of using pockets (low stack limits) and being able to craft various types of backpacks (dynamic stack limits) that have different benefits as well as finding rare ones that you cannot craft.

There are a lot of possibilities - in my opinion - it would be best if we use the current backpack as a reference to go by and not steer too far from its limits - unless other balance penalties are applied to each benefit beyond the current backpack.

Carrying raw meat for example - you could have a backpack that excels at keeping foods hot and cold (When we get food spoilage) - and reducing scent range. But, the backpack isn't suitable for heavy loads so less construction-related materials (Concrete, Wood, etc) could be stacked in there. A hunter's back-pack...

Other possible backpacks could include:

Military Back Pack - can carry higher ammo stacks

Construction Bag - can carry much higher processed material stacks (Concrete, Iron, etc)

Miners Pack - can carry higher raw ore stacks

Etc - for each you'd have to give an equal penalty for each of the bag's perk. The current bag would be the vanilla baseline that you could build it around.

Smaller items, like knives, flashlights, wrenches, bandages etc could be put in your pockets - so even clothing items could double as a strategy for how you want to carry your loot. Mixing and combing clothing with all the various backpack choices adds some depth.

Backpacks would be neat, although I don't like the idea of tying them to a perk. It's just a thing anyone can easily use, and in terms of construction / tailoring it doesn't get much easier than making a bag. If we can make a grass shirt without training, surely we can make a shoulder pack.

After fighting the inventory for some time, I got into the habit of simply leaving behind the vast majority of initial items, taking only important items until I have somewhere to call home. It may sting a bit, but let's be fair: You don't actually _need_ those 2 shell casings you found on day one, or the 5 units of lead. Playing like this made me appreciate the 'inventory management game' a lot more, which turned out to be kind of interesting.

Once I settle, I'll just bring a bunch of chests and leave them in easy-to-find spots for later pickup. Leaving stashes around the place feels about right to me; concealing what you want, but can't carry.

Backpacks would be neat, although I don't like the idea of tying them to a perk. It's just a thing anyone can easily use, and in terms of construction / tailoring it doesn't get much easier than making a bag. If we can make a grass shirt without training, surely we can make a shoulder pack.

Just to clarify - when I suggested a "perk". I didn't mean a perk in the skill system. I mean a perk as it is in real life. A heavy duty bag can carry more weight than a light sports bag. Or a bag with thermal insulation in it can carry foods longer without spoiling than a thin bag made of cheap material. I was just suggesting each bag would have its own pros and cons based on its material and intended usage. It wouldn't be something you'd have to 'earn' - it's just a choice in what you want. Kinda like how short sleeve shirts are intended for hot climates and long sleeves for cold - nothing more complicated than that.

a craftable one hiding behind skills. (not perk, i wish they would gate things behind skill levels. like you need 50 tailoring before you can craft a bigger backpack. and this could be done for more things)

I completely disagree. Inventory management is a staple of any survival game, especially 7DTD. Inventory management forces a choice on the player, which is a great thing. Not enough games force the player into making a meaningful choice.

not true. savage lands has different types of bags that can be crafted and expand inventoryspace. and the survival part there is not a joke like in 7 days.

I would like bigger backpack.

There are many more items introduced and the old backback size is simply not enough to cover that.

- if you dismantle a car, you get what, like 13 different items now? (3 types of parts, iron, leather, plastic, gas, springs, tubes, radiator, headlight, battery, engine)

- you slice up an animal, you get what, 5 items now? (meat, fat, hide, bone, rotten flesh)

That's like 18 slots full even before you loot anything else.

Now add your essentials, like 1-3 types of ammo, medical items/splint, a puffer coat/duster for when weather goes bad. Some food?

That leaves you with exactly nothing.

So yeah, need some way to expand it.

I humbly propose that maybe you should reconsider going out to 'butcher animals and dismantle cars.' You are right in saying that either of those gives a large number of items, but isn't the point of inventory management that you _cannot_ carry everything at all times? You know that pulling apart cars will fill your inventory very fast, so just make a 'car run' and keep it at that. I really don't see how it's much of a problem that we can't just grab anything and everything when we go scavenging.

I use storage crates a lot at POIs. Go to the gas station to look for batteries, engines and tires for minibikes and cement mixer. You get iron, leather, springs, headlights and other items from the cars. There are cars to loot before you tear them apart, shopping carts and trash bags, gas from the pumps and cans of gas. Inside you can find items of value. What do you choose? You can't take it all.

Storage chest will hold what I don't need or want right then and a day or two later stop by and pick up the rest. Right now I am still playing without zombies on so it would change to somewhere on a road. Put up some wood frames with a torch on it so I can see it. I think the stupid bears would be more danger than zombies, really. I have been killed by them three times now. I am doing a lot of experimenting in various areas, different types of bases, do I want to build from scratch or remodel a prefab?

Back on topic, I think a pouch that could be carried on the side, like what Indiana Jones carries for males or the "girly" tote that females carry for items that smell, raw meat, stews and other items that attract zombies. Kill a deer or pig and you have meat, bones, tallow and hide. If you plan on being out more than a day you will carry food, maybe meat stew. That is five slots you have lost. Does raw meat and stews attract bears? If so, it would help in that area also.

You could lose a small amount of stamina, as it could be seen as carrying extra weight.

More POIs means more loot so I think it should be considered at least for a change in the inventory, adding more slots or an extra bag that has a cost to balance it out. Not much of a cost, but enough that the player can weight the value of carrying the bag or not.

I humbly propose that maybe you should reconsider going out to 'butcher animals and dismantle cars.' You are right in saying that either of those gives a large number of items, but isn't the point of inventory management that you _cannot_ carry everything at all times? You know that pulling apart cars will fill your inventory very fast, so just make a 'car run' and keep it at that. I really don't see how it's much of a problem that we can't just grab anything and everything when we go scavenging.

No man, my point is, if you do just these 2 things while out, you are full.

You literally cannot pick up anything else, including those bird nest feathers.

There are simply too many items generated by activities now. 4 new types of scrap parts!

You literally dismantle 1 car on the road and kill 1 animal - you are done.

It is not fun to run back and forth to every car I found. At least for me?

I want to explore more and not backtrack that much to carry stuff.

I really don't see how it's much of a problem that we can't just grab anything and everything when we go scavenging.

Again, nobody in this thread is asking for a 10x increase so you can carry anything and everything. Right now we end up littering the landscape with chests near all PoIs so you can come and pick the stuff later on - and that feels like a workaround, rather than a meaningful play mechanic.

Archived