A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Hey Valmar, did you plan on making this compatible with A14? If so got any Idea how long a lite version will be available? I mostly like the recipes, food and drinks, guns and ammo, lootable stuff. I didnt really care for the benches etc but love your mod and with better FPS I was hoping for even less lag time in the crafting menu etc. Take your time and cant wait if you are going to/are working on it. Either drop me a PM or I will keep looking here for the news. Again thanks for all the hard work you do.

@TomasKirki

For the full version yes. The lite version, just like in A12-A13, will not lock down the recipe system. Since there are still recipe books in the game I see no reason to get rid of survivor notes. They just serve as an alternative way to get recipe books, afterall.

@Brian

I'll make note to give that a peek but until I've played with it myself its hard to have any judgement on the matter. I've never played A14. I barely played A13. I mod more than I play. Go figure.

@JayzenFreeze

I do plan on updating it to A14, currently working on that process already. The original estimate I gave was "within 2 weeks". Im not sure how long its been now since A14 released but I feel that time table is still accurate. I can't really get the estimate any more narrow than that without risking giving false information. I'll be surprised if it takes more than 2 weeks which is why I estimate within that window.

The lite version will be released at the same time as the full version, at least the official stable version. The beta build, should I decide to share one at all, will likely be full only. I always build the full mod first then I adjust it to make it "lite".

@TomasKirki

For the full version yes. The lite version, just like in A12-A13, will not lock down the recipe system. Since there are still recipe books in the game I see no reason to get rid of survivor notes. They just serve as an alternative way to get recipe books, afterall.

@Brian

I'll make note to give that a peek but until I've played with it myself its hard to have any judgement on the matter. I've never played A14. I barely played A13. I mod more than I play. Go figure.

@JayzenFreeze

I do plan on updating it to A14, currently working on that process already. The original estimate I gave was "within 2 weeks". Im not sure how long its been now since A14 released but I feel that time table is still accurate. I can't really get the estimate any more narrow than that without risking giving false information. I'll be surprised if it takes more than 2 weeks which is why I estimate within that window.

The lite version will be released at the same time as the full version, at least the official stable version. The beta build, should I decide to share one at all, will likely be full only. I always build the full mod first then I adjust it to make it "lite".

It's cool Valmar, the way it works is identical to normal loot. Treasure chest is a block with loot id 70. So in all honesty actually could probably just make it same loot id as supply crate if I wanted to.

Well from what I understand the limit is not actually on purpose. Its a technical limitation. Something to do with byte size or something. I don't know the specifics though its been explained to me several times in the past. Its all pretty technical and I'm not great at retaining information that already goes over my head.

I do believe they will need to overcome it eventually. However it doesn't sound like its something they can just snap their fingers and change, it does sound like, at least the ways its been explained to me before, that its a much deeper issue than that. So personally I suspect they will find another way around it, like perhaps multiple blocks.xml files if that will overcome the limit.

I believe such an approach would also be very beneficial to modders if we could assign a new blocks.xml - perhaps one that uses a slightly different format like block2 ID="XXXX"

If such a thing was possible we could in theory not even modify the vanilla blocks.xml and keep all our new modded blocks (assuming all we're doing is adding to the file and not changing vanilla values) in their own file, separate from vanilla. Such a thing would also, I imagine, make using multiple mods easier as you could just drag-drop their blocks.xml files into your folder and ensure they all have their own different number assigned to them.

Though thats all just wild speculation and grand assumptions from my part. I don't understand the technical side of it or its limits, restrictions or how difficult what I propose would be. It could be completely impractical. Its just my idea on what would be a useful method of dealing with these things.

Personally I don't really see the benefit in the types of changes that have been done. I understand its better and more organized (for example all the container blocks now start with cnt in their name) but personally not much of this is really something I'd consider "worth it". Of course my view on all this is going to be clouded with bias since all the workgiven this has me to do. Its just that, for me, making all these tiny adjustments like name changes all over the place to make my mod work... This is, in regards to time-consumption, actually a more tedious job for me than what A13 did. So while one may think it would make things easier in the future I don't really see it. I thought it was easy the way it was. This just feels like unnecessary work.

Nothing from a technical level really has changed, from what I can tell. The code structure is still the same. I just find that a lot of my code needs to have little things changed that boils down to them changing the name of an item, block or material. Superficial stuff. Since my mod is as big as it is this means for my unique situation its added a lot of extra work for something that was never really a problem for me in the first place.

Though again remember this is all a very selfish and bias view point. Objectively the files are cleaner and better due to the new organization. Its only on a personal level that I find it annoying since for me there isn't really any tangible benefit that feels worth all the effort.

Anyway, my rant is over.

There is actually a way to place prefabs but it requires Hals Prefab Editor.

Sod I believe is an option for building blocks that a lot of people forget about. Still I might consider adding cabin wood as a base block. Though I dont know if its the best idea. I mean they made it so you can upgrade any wood basically into concrete if you have the resources. Whats to stop you from building a cabin wood house and then just bypassing the carpenter book by upgrading all the cabin wood blocks. Balancing things like that is something I'd have to consider.

New food will be added. Im hoping to add wheat, leek, grape, hops, sugarcane and cabbage plants. Though I might be making it a tad too complicated lol. I may not keep the sugarcane and grapes. We'll see. Any thoughts of the type of food that can be added that would make sense to require sugarcane (which can make sugar, obviously)

Hi, im new on this forum and the game too, but im thinking, blocks.xml is a regular xml file, why you doesnt import a new xml inside the blocks.xml?

like this

import xml file into another xml file

im just saying... :tongue-new:

Hi, im new on this forum and the game too, but im thinking, blocks.xml is a regular xml file, why you doesnt import a new xml inside the blocks.xml?

like this

The problem with this may be the games architecture. Depending on how the game handles the XML files, this method may not work, though it is worth exploring. In other games using XML based file structure, this is not possible as they typically have a call file that lists all of the XML files that the application will load upon launch, like an index page. I tried the XML within an XML before on Star Wars Empire at War and it did nothing but cause game file corruption.

It is worth mentioning though that from what I have seen thus far of 7DTD's file structure, this method could work as the game loads each XML file separately upon launch, meaning that an XML file that references a secondary XML file from within itself would still load the second file because the game "launched" the external file.

FYI do not quote me on any of this, my understanding of coding is at times quite limited, but I have 8 years of Empire at War modding under my belt and its mostly XML editing.

Valmar, I'm very much looking forward to your A14 mod, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news... They've already released A14.1. Why cruel pimps, why?!

(Ok, I know nothing about modding, and this might not affect you at all, but it seems like you release a new mod version every time they patch, and I don't like the thought of you having to start over this soon.)

yeah that

Unfortunately, history has shown to not expect a "stabile" version before A14.3 , and even that is showing some creep, since it required A13.6 to have a "stable" version :(

Lets hope they dont release too many consequent new bugs.. er bugfixes so Valmar can go on with this fantastic mod

Then again, most of the time there are no major changes to the XML files, so its not as bad as it could be.

like this

Interesting stuff, to be sure, but I'm skeptical that it will work for this. Plus I'm too lazy to experiment atm. I will keep it in mind though. If it actually works in 7DTD it could prove to be useful, assuming I understand how it works.

So that whole line about A14 being great for modders was bs. This actually made things harder. I had more to say but mentally im wiped.

Heh, you're telling me, this is draining me out. Still, at least we have access to the localization file now so we can change in-game names and descriptions. Hell, you could make a mod to translate the entire game into a different language now if you wanted to.

Valmar, I'm very much looking forward to your A14 mod, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news... They've already released A14.1. Why cruel pimps, why?!

(Ok, I know nothing about modding, and this might not affect you at all, but it seems like you release a new mod version every time they patch, and I don't like the thought of you having to start over this soon.)

Don't worry about that. Most of these small updates are, relatively speaking, a breeze to update for. Sometimes no xml code is changed and other times only one or two lines need to be adjusted. The fixes are usually engine-side so the xml files remain untouched. Either way with the compare tool its really easy for me to find the changes and adjust accordingly. Its not usually a big issue.

How do We install just the custom UI that used to be in the icons folder? Client side. I like yours lol

That... is a loaded process. Perhaps one of the more complicated things to do, really, since it has so many little edits in several different files.. Its actually the next thing I will be updating in my mod, though. I'll share the code for you once I have them done since there will be more to do before the whole mod is ready.

Interesting stuff, to be sure, but I'm skeptical that it will work for this. Plus I'm too lazy to experiment atm. I will keep it in mind though. If it actually works in 7DTD it could prove to be useful, assuming I understand how it works.

I may tinker with it later tonight after I get home from work. I've got enough XML experience that I shouldn't mess anything up in the coding process lol, anyways, I'll report my findings tomorrow, if it works, that basically solves the Block ID and Item ID limitation problem, which opens up a whole other realm of possibilities for everyone. The only downside though, assuming it works, is that the game will have an additional file hierarchy to draw upon, which could possibly cause additional performance loss. But if the blocks and items being loaded are not found in the world and only player created (anything extra not included in creative mode), then the loss would be less noticeable.

Did some experimenting before work. From what I have seen, the game does not handle the XI handle necessary to include a second xml document. I created a second xml called extrablocks.xml, put the code <xi:include href="extrablocks.xml" parse="xml"/> into the original block file (that may not be the correct line or syntax to use) and each time, the game would load, but upon launching a world, new or saved, it would generate a null reference error.

Valmar! I miss it already! I was thinking about the ideas of initial days having a building block of SOME kind to work with. I DO keep forgetting about sod. that's dirt and grass, isn't it? as for the log cabin wood, perhaps you can disable it's upgrade path? it's really soft, anyway, and super easy to make I feel it just...makes sense to use it as a beginner block. perhaps we can come up with other blocks or just...create our own!

I love new crops! wheat and hops for beer, I'm guessing? we have honey, which is a good sweetener, so sugarcane might be unneccessary, in that regard. but it would be nifty to, like Minecraft MAKE paper? grapes would be pretty neet, don't see that too often...but with wheat there's bread. and with bread there are...FRESH shamwiches! ohhh, this needs to happen! a fresh healthy sammich! with lettuce, and Sham! it needs to have some perk to it! something funny, or just a little OP? maybe make it so wheat can only be found in the wild, like corn is...but more rare in a special biome. honestly, it'd be fun if there were prefabs with little gardens...yeah! remember the blueberry patch in Navesgane? like that!

I love your mod, and I hope my suggestions will help make it it's best!

Sod is dirt and grass, yes. I will consider the log cabin wood.

Does wheat play a part in making beer? I assumed it was just hops. I couldn't think of any good use for sugarcane so I scrapped it. Wheat could be made to spawn in the wild, yes, though I don't think it would be wise to do so. Mainly due to the fact that the wheat looks identical to dried desert grass. The player will likely never realize its even a plant. If they plant it themselves they're more likely to remember its a plant, though.

Requiring lettuce for a burger is an interesting idea. I might rename the cabbage plant at some point to lettuce. Though atm I'm more trying to just get this mod finished and released. Adding new stuff will have to wait. I do appreciate the suggestions, though.

To those who were asking about the UI specifically I think you will be pleased with Red Eagle's UI. Mine was basically just a slightly altered version of his code. https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://www.mediafire.com/?fr6wij6slsz8b12

As for Valmod... Sigh. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this. I planned on it, really I did. I wanted to get it out for those who I know enjoy it. But all this editing has burned me out. I'm just so done with 7DTD right now. I've frankly only kept going on because there are so many who seem to get enjoyment form my mod so it was more for them rather than myself that I continued. A14 however has taken its toll on me and mentally I'm quite exhausted. Its not even that the task at hand is difficult to do, its just very, very time-consuming for me. Maybe Im just a slow worker. Either way, its taken its toll.

I will be taking a break for now to recharge and reflect. Perhaps I will find the motivation, time and energy to continue after a short hiatus. During this time I will determine whether or not I want to finish it or leave it.

For whatever it is worth this is the closest thing I have for a "beta" version. Keep in mind it isn't finished or intended to be used in any "real" game. Its just for those who, for whatever reason, wanted to sneak a peek at whats going on. Though I suspect most changes would go unnoticed by players since most of the work is really only obvious from a modder's perspective.

If I decide to call it quits in the very least it could serve as a useful resource as there is a lot of code present in the file that could be salvaged or re-purposed.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/12c9c8haesjsm/Valmod_Beta

To those who were asking about the UI specifically I think you will be pleased with Red Eagle's UI. Mine was basically just a slightly altered version of his code. https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://www.mediafire.com/?fr6wij6slsz8b12

As for Valmod... Sigh. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this. I planned on it, really I did. I wanted to get it out for those who I know enjoy it. But all this editing has burned me out. I'm just so done with 7DTD right now. I've frankly only kept going on because there are so many who seem to get enjoyment form my mod so it was more for them rather than myself that I continued. A14 however has taken its toll on me and mentally I'm quite exhausted. Its not even that the task at hand is difficult to do, its just very, very time-consuming for me. Maybe Im just a slow worker. Either way, its taken its toll.

I will be taking a break for now to recharge and reflect. Perhaps I will find the motivation, time and energy to continue after a short hiatus. During this time I will determine whether or not I want to finish it or leave it.

For whatever it is worth this is the closest thing I have for a "beta" version. Keep in mind it isn't finished or intended to be used in any "real" game. Its just for those who, for whatever reason, wanted to sneak a peek at whats going on. Though I suspect most changes would go unnoticed by players since most of the work is really only obvious from a modder's perspective.

If I decide to call it quits in the very least it could serve as a useful resource as there is a lot of code present in the file that could be salvaged or re-purposed.

Dude, get some rest, and get some help! :p

Other modders could easily take little snippets from what you have, make some changes for stability or whatever intended purpose you have, and shoot it back over to you for simple review if/after you get some time away from 7DTD. Delegate haha!

For reals, though... take a massive break - if you end up wanting to scrap this so be it. If people don't like it then it's like you said, someone can take over the mod or take pieces from it for something else.

I've been there when I used to do Empire at War modding, worked with a team doing a Battlestar mod, and after I worked out an entirely unique armor system for them that took weeks to complete, I was just done. Its the same with anything you do out of concern for the well being or entertainment of others, it eventually wears you down. College, work, it all attributes to the stress level. Just take a break from it and actually play the games you mod, you will find that after a while, you will want to come back to the modding because there will always be something to tinker with. Take that from a fellow modder who frequently leaves the modding scene for whatever game, and comes back months, sometimes even years later.

As for what majewski6850 said, let others take up the mantle of continuation. I personally would love to try and complete a mod, but I wouldn't know where to begin or when to stop. I am a tinkerer not a developer. I take what already exists and make changes.

too bad to hear it. it often happens for the interwebs volunteers. I hope you bounce back, I liked your mod -0 and am convinced it could add stuff to alpha 14 to.

see you around!

B

I sincerely hope that once you are fully recharged you will feel inspired and motivated to update Valmod. I think 7DTD is an excellent product but like many others truly believe that Valmod does improve the game exponentially. If you decide to not update it further, I'd just like to say a huge thank you for having had the privilege to enjoy your mod pack.

Archived