A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

If you need any other xml help Valmar, pm me, ive got plenty of xml experience.

On another note, i have discovered a bit of a flaw in the progression of the mod, i managed to acquire steel forging long long before iron because of the way you have it set up. You might want to lock iron forging behind construction tools at say level 10 while steel should be like 40 or 50. Just a suggestion. That or reverse the way they are achieved, make iron the skill based perk and steel the book based perk.

One other suggested change, in keeping with immersiveness, maybe add a scrap iron requirement to the workbench, or perhaps an iron pipe requirement to the recipe. Its almost too cheap to crank out a bunch of them and mass produce.

Well the Steel Smithing perk is suppose to require a level 40 in construction tools already. Is this not the case?

As for the metal book I will look into making a new perk just for it.

The workbenches are purposely meant to be cheap to make so that players can craft them early. This is to offset the fact that in my mod a great deal of items/blocks are locked behind the workbench. Even then they are locked behind multiple tools, for the most part. I didn't want the workbench to be too difficult to make on the spot because I didn't want to hurt nomad players too much. I will increase its wood requirement a bit, though.

Hi!

I'm having issues filling my jars and bowls with water from any water source. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Strange, they work fine for me. My mod doesn't even change anything related to that. It adds a left click for sinks but getting water from water sources remains unchanged. Are you left clicking or right clicking?

Hey Val,

are the plants in Alpha 14 version stable?

I got errors from the 13 version, just bringing them over to 14.

I really like the recipes and added plants [not to mention made a bunch of new recipes with your food].

They work fine for me. The a13 version of the code likely doesn't work due to some random changes they made to naming conventions here or there. Not sure. The code Im using atm works though.

The expanded farming and cooking mods are both compatible with A14, have you considered getting the code from there rather than my 13 build?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32219-Valmar-s-Mod-Collection

Valmar, I sent you a PM about UI slowness, but I figured I'd post a comment too. Have you noticed any slowdown in the UI menus when having a lot of new recipes in place?

From what I have seen since A14's release compared to A13, vanilla suffers little lag on the crafting side because they locked so many of the recipes behind perks rather than books, that's where the UI slowness comes from.

Think of it as a information query, each time you craft a recipe locked behind a book, the game has to backtrace that recipe to make sure you qualify to make it. So if you que up 500 wood frames, it has to check 500 times that you have the recipe unlocked. On the flip side, with the perks, its a passive unlock, meaning the game constantly knows you have it.

Valmar, I sent you a PM about UI slowness, but I figured I'd post a comment too. Have you noticed any slowdown in the UI menus when having a lot of new recipes in place?

Yes, though its a case-by-case bases. Personally just having a bunch of recipes actually has never caused me any performance difference. I've played the game on a crappy old laptop once and there I did notice a difference. So I believe hardware does play a part. However if you have a lot of recipes gated behind recipe books that I have noticed a difference on. It is why I've reduced the size of my recipe books. For example instead of the tesla book teaching several different light recipes I just added electricalWires to those recipes and made the book the only way to learn that wire.

Ok maybe iam dumb but is there no Mason Workbench anymore? And how do you craft Clay Bowls i read the Pottery Book but there is no Recipe in my List for it :/

No. All workbenches are merged into the single workbench. I offset this by adding tools. While as before you needed a masonry workbench to craft stone you now need a workbench + chisel.

Clay bowls you can craft in a campfire.

From what I have seen since A14's release compared to A13, vanilla suffers little lag on the crafting side because they locked so many of the recipes behind perks rather than books, that's where the UI slowness comes from.

Think of it as a information query, each time you craft a recipe locked behind a book, the game has to backtrace that recipe to make sure you qualify to make it. So if you que up 500 wood frames, it has to check 500 times that you have the recipe unlocked. On the flip side, with the perks, its a passive unlock, meaning the game constantly knows you have it.

It's happens without even queuing anything up. It happens just simply from scrolling through the list of items you can craft. It's like the list is doing a query during a mousescroll or something which would seem like poor coding.

Yes, though its a case-by-case bases. Personally just having a bunch of recipes actually has never caused me any performance difference. I've played the game on a crappy old laptop once and there I did notice a difference. So I believe hardware does play a part. However if you have a lot of recipes gated behind recipe books that I have noticed a difference on. It is why I've reduced the size of my recipe books. For example instead of the tesla book teaching several different light recipes I just added electricalWires to those recipes and made the book the only way to learn that wire.

I'll do some more testing. I have added nothing behind the books. I simply just added all of the awning, some adobe and some metal blocks to the recipe list. Now when I bring up the workbench UI it slows down a little. I have a fast machine and dual 980's so I doubt it's a machine issue.

They work fine for me. The a13 version of the code likely doesn't work due to some random changes they made to naming conventions here or there. Not sure. The code Im using atm works though.

The expanded farming and cooking mods are both compatible with A14, have you considered getting the code from there rather than my 13 build?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?32219-Valmar-s-Mod-Collection

I.......... didn't even know. O.o

WARNING! Below info is no longer fully accurate as it was made in A13. A14 beta build of the mod is here:

download

No lite version or guide yet. Work in progress.

Do we at least have acces to a changelog? I just upgraded from B11 to B15 of your mod and would like to know what changed.

-----------------------

I don't seem to be able to farm in the mod. I can grow crops, but I can't harvest them once they reach full maturity.

-----------------------

You can temporarily refer to my post about the mod and starting out until you finish your guide for the new version if you like: (I left out the autowall since players can't craft it)

http://gentlemensrules.us/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1026&sid=72d97e556e7185fd9357dcff6c550ea0#p1026

-----------------------

Also, you can add my server to the list:

US EAST

gentlemensrules.us:27000

(Last I checked the client was finally resolving hostnames to IPs, so this should be fine)

-----------------------

Iron bow says it deals more damage, has further range, and improved durability, but only the durability is true...

xSzCuLg.jpg.b32eb72efe0cae94d8c60f5f4c930e64.jpg

ZQqcuqU.jpg.cf16670a5a1e0a599065650fa42ceafb.jpg

-----------------------

Awesome mod, serious 10/10, keep up the awesome work!

It's happens without even queuing anything up. It happens just simply from scrolling through the list of items you can craft. It's like the list is doing a query during a mousescroll or something which would seem like poor coding.

I'll do some more testing. I have added nothing behind the books. I simply just added all of the awning, some adobe and some metal blocks to the recipe list. Now when I bring up the workbench UI it slows down a little. I have a fast machine and dual 980's so I doubt it's a machine issue.

Yeah I can't believe for a second that its my hardware either.

Windows 10 64x Home Pro

32GB 1866 RAM

R9 390X 8GB GPU

FX 8350 8 core 4.0 cpu

All of it running off a well tuned Republic of Gamers Corsair IV mobo. 7 Days is the only game capable of heating my gpu up aside from Minecraft. Bad optimization is the real evil behind the game.

Oh and Valmar, quick question, given that Dom is really close to releasing the newest version of SDX, is there any chance you will do a version of the mod that utilizes his tool? I realize that you have become quite burned out, but I figured there isn't anything to be lost by asking. It would be nice to see new textures for your various custom items and blocks.

Do we at least have acces to a changelog? I just upgraded from B11 to B15 of your mod and would like to know what changed.

-----------------------

I don't seem to be able to farm in the mod. I can grow crops, but I can't harvest them once they reach full maturity.

-----------------------

You can temporarily refer to my post about the mod and starting out until you finish your guide for the new version if you like: (I left out the autowall since players can't craft it)

http://gentlemensrules.us/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1026&sid=72d97e556e7185fd9357dcff6c550ea0#p1026

-----------------------

Also, you can add my server to the list:

US EAST

gentlemensrules.us:27000

(Last I checked the client was finally resolving hostnames to IPs, so this should be fine)

-----------------------

Iron bow says it deals more damage, has further range, and improved durability, but only the durability is true...

Sorry for the lack of changelogs. I've been mostly skipping them because its "beta". Poor excuse, I know. After the next update I will get back to making changelogs, even if not out of beta. Though hopefully it will be - Im working on the new "lite" version now.

The biggest changes recently I can think of off hand:

Fixed the supply crates so they don't drop x3 the intended amount of loot.

Added a small chance to get claylumps from dirt and sand. (0.1)

Added a small chance to get coal and potassium from stone. (0.01)

To harvest crops you have to punch them with your hands. Have you tried that?

Thank you for thelink, I will leave a link to your guide for now. I'll also add your server to the list.

I'll also address the issue with the iron bow. Oddly enough in the code it should be dealing between 3-10 extra damage. That either doesn't show or it just doesn't work that way on a launcher class. Either way I'll look in on it.

Yeah I can't believe for a second that its my hardware either.

Windows 10 64x Home Pro

32GB 1866 RAM

R9 390X 8GB GPU

FX 8350 8 core 4.0 cpu

All of it running off a well tuned Republic of Gamers Corsair IV mobo. 7 Days is the only game capable of heating my gpu up aside from Minecraft. Bad optimization is the real evil behind the game.

Oh and Valmar, quick question, given that Dom is really close to releasing the newest version of SDX, is there any chance you will do a version of the mod that utilizes his tool? I realize that you have become quite burned out, but I figured there isn't anything to be lost by asking. It would be nice to see new textures for your various custom items and blocks.

First off just to clarify I wasn't saying only those with crappy hardware will notice impact. Just that playing on crappy hardware can make the impact considerably more noticeable. In a13 I barely noticed the performance hit from my mod in terms of opening the inventory. It wasn't as instant as vanilla but it wasn't anything that bugged me. On a laptop I tried it on however, which was frankly crap compared to my computer, it was instantly noticeable and almost unbearable. It was that experience that pushed me to find more creative ways of shaving away locked recipes.

So Im not saying if you notice impact that you must have a ♥♥♥♥ty computer. I'm saying that if you have a ♥♥♥♥ty computer the impact difference will be significantly more noticeable.

In regards to SDX no, I don't have any plans on using it.

Sorry for the lack of changelogs. I've been mostly skipping them because its "beta". Poor excuse, I know. After the next update I will get back to making changelogs, even if not out of beta. Though hopefully it will be - Im working on the new "lite" version now.

Thank you for thelink, I will leave a link to your guide for now. I'll also add your server to the list.

I'll also address the issue with the iron bow. Oddly enough in the code it should be dealing between 3-10 extra damage. That either doesn't show or it just doesn't work that way on a launcher class. Either way I'll look in on it.

First off just to clarify I wasn't saying only those with crappy hardware will notice impact. Just that playing on crappy hardware can make the impact considerably more noticeable. In a13 I barely noticed the performance hit from my mod in terms of opening the inventory. It wasn't as instant as vanilla but it wasn't anything that bugged me. On a laptop I tried it on however, which was frankly crap compared to my computer, it was instantly noticeable and almost unbearable. It was that experience that pushed me to find more creative ways of shaving away locked recipes.

So Im not saying if you notice impact that you must have a ♥♥♥♥ty computer. I'm saying that if you have a ♥♥♥♥ty computer the impact difference will be significantly more noticeable.

In regards to SDX no, I don't have any plans on using it.

I don't think either of us were insinuating that you were implying that of our rigs, just stating that its unlikely that our particular systems could be suffering on the performance capability end. If I tried to play this game on my laptop with your mod and ultra settings, I'd likely see a massive drop in performance compared to my desktop and its not exactly a laptop to scoff at either, but its a laptop nonetheless.

whats been removed?

Thanks again Val for this awesome modpack.

Just curious on what part of the mod was removed for alpha 14? when i setup a new dedi server and added alloc fixes and valmod latest mod pack, started up the server i noticed that there was no class selection option. all i had in my inventory was a claim block.

thanks

Awesome!

I did not, works perfectly, thank you! Is there any reason we can't press E?

Awesome! I will likely be referring people to your guide instead once it's ready. Glad I could help! Feel free to copy/paste anything you don't already have that you'd like to use from it!

Ah! Maybe... Looking forward to knowing, thanks again for addressing it, and everything, so quickly!

Thanks again Val for this awesome modpack.

Just curious on what part of the mod was removed for alpha 14? when i setup a new dedi server and added alloc fixes and valmod latest mod pack, started up the server i noticed that there was no class selection option. all i had in my inventory was a claim block.

thanks

If sounds to me like you didn't have the icons installed client-side. The icons, localization and progression file do not push from the server. So you need to install those locally. http://www.tiny.cc/valmodicons

As for what was removed: some books (due to the perk system) and a bunch of blocks. Such as my fertilizer farming blocks.

Awesome!

I did not, works perfectly, thank you! Is there any reason we can't press E?

Well at first I removed the "press E to pickup" thing because I thought this method would be a bit more realistic and different. Trying something new. I wasn't committed to it so if I received negative feedback on it I'd return to the old system. However now that I've been using it for a while and haven't had any negative feedback (though many have asked about it as you have) I'm more attached to it now than I used to be. Largely due to the extra control it gives me. I can do things with it now that I otherwise wouldn't really be able to do before.

Possible, when you release at new update to add to the original post what the current beta build is for your mod? Thanks again for all your hard work. I do understand that you are doing this in your free time, unpaid, but do know you are appreciated

Hopefully that won't be relevant for much longer now. I'm not sure I will be updating the OP everytime I update the mod. Mainly because it just adds an extra layer of work. Which will already double when I get the lite version out (two files to update on two different upload sites and two different topics to keep informed) but I do make posts in the topic to tell everyone there was an update and include a changelog. Haven't done that lately but its what I used to do and what I will return to.

I will take it into considering, however. Going to have to rewrite the whole OP anyway.

Just downloaded this thing yesterday and I think I got a good 12 hours of playtime in since. Seriously, this is an amazing mod. Don't have much to say, except for thanks. :)

Thank you, I'm happy you enjoy it.

Here is a question I was hoping I could get a bit of feedback from on any who happen to stalk this topic.

When I finish the lite version of this mod I am considering changing the naming schemes of the Full/Lite version and actually splitting the two mods apart into their own topics (this topic would therefore be locked, should a moderator be willing to assist me). As it stands I feel there has in the past been confusion as to what the difference between the two versions was. I'm hoping a new approach will make it more clear.

I am thinking of calling the "full" pack this: [VMO] Valmod Overhaul

This is because the full mod is essentially that - an overhaul. It locks down vanilla recipes and changes a lot with how you play the game relative to the vanilla experience.

I am thinking of calling the "lite" version: [VME] Valmod Expansion

This is because the lite version does not make any dramatic changes to the overall vanilla experience but rather just adds more content to the game to enjoy. It is an expansion pack.

I believe these different titles will help make it clear what each mod is and what they aim to achieve. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Valmar sounds like your almost done modding all together - i know you like to do it, but like me i took like 2 -3 months off - just do that clear your mind and come back and re-enter the world - also i made the new ui im sure your having some thoughts on what you wanna do, if you ever want to open your game over 100 times just to move a stat bar around lol!

Here is a question I was hoping I could get a bit of feedback from on any who happen to stalk this topic.

When I finish the lite version of this mod I am considering changing the naming schemes of the Full/Lite version and actually splitting the two mods apart into their own topics (this topic would therefore be locked, should a moderator be willing to assist me). As it stands I feel there has in the past been confusion as to what the difference between the two versions was. I'm hoping a new approach will make it more clear.

This is because the full mod is essentially that - an overhaul. It locks down vanilla recipes and changes a lot with how you play the game relative to the vanilla experience.

This is because the lite version does not make any dramatic changes to the overall vanilla experience but rather just adds more content to the game to enjoy. It is an expansion pack.

I believe these different titles will help make it clear what each mod is and what they aim to achieve. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think the way they are now is better. A MOD WOULD change all things, a "light" (lite) mod would add things or make them less intensive (whether for preference and/or performance reasons) Just my 2¢

I've been lurking this thread a bit, about ready to take the plunge but I agree with this new naming. I think it will give people a better understanding of what each entails, as well as get more people to try the "Expansion" pack who might have thought it to be a little too hardcore. Think of "Expansion" as a gateway drug to the "Overhaul." Been watching Games4Kicks playing your pack, looks great!

My wife is wondering if it works with the Compo prefab pack?

Great work! Looking forward to dying in it!

I appreciate your feedback on the matter.

Yes my mod is now and will forever be compatible with the compo pack. Just replace my rwgmixer.xml with the one used by the compo pack. My rwgmixer is vanilla so nothing of my mod will be harmed by doing so. I wouldn't dream of making my mod incompatible with the compo pack - I consider it a mandatory mod for anyone's game if they plan on playing random gen.

In mod news... new beta version. Also great news, I just finished the Lite version. So now there are two betas up.

Sorry for the lack of changelog but from this point forward I will return to keeping a log. Also hopefully the next update will be "official". I just need to iron out the guide and description at this point.

Changelog based off memory:

I removed the metal working book that locked down iron recipes to move over to the perk system.

I've renamed the Steel Smithing perk to Metal Smithing. Perk level 1 will teach iron and level 2 will teach steel.

Adjusted the turd description so it points out its usefulness in my mod - you can "upgrade" plain dirt or grass blocks directly into fertile dirt blocks.

Removed the dark background from the compass.

Increased the font size of the time and temp under the compass to be more easily readable by those of us without (red) eagle eyes.

Looking for some advice for starting out. Which class to people like taking? Me personally, I like the hunter because the bow makes life to much easier. That leads into the next question. For those that don't take builder as their starting class, how do you go about getting a base started? I know if you find a building right off then you can re-purpose it as a starting base but what if you're not lucky enough to find one?

Yes my mod is now and will forever be compatible with the compo pack. Just replace my rwgmixer.xml with the one used by the compo pack. My rwgmixer is vanilla so nothing of my mod will be harmed by doing so. I wouldn't dream of making my mod incompatible with the compo pack - I consider it a mandatory mod for anyone's game if they plan on playing random gen. ...

She'll be glad to hear. Hey I took the plunge several hours ago and loaded up. Wow! What a great mod. The game feels like it did when I first started playing 7D2D. I imagine the updated beta will be compatible, to the best of your knowledge. Thanks again for making this a public dowload!

Not sure if this is something that is intended or not but if it isn't, hopefully a fix could be found. I found a gas and go and decided to make that my base of operations. while shoring it up I noticed that if I shored the door up with wood it would lock on me. Not a problem I figured, just don't improve the door. So I stayed there overnight, unloading a lot of gear (including one of the things I need to make another profession case that I found on a corpse). When the morning came I gathered some supplies and headed out, coming back about 4 hours later to find the door locked. I busted the door down again only to find the whole building at reset itself.

Are the buildings resetting themselves how it's supposed to be? If it's worth noting, I have the resupply option set to never. I'm thinking maybe it's the door still being on there that causes it. I don't know though and I'm do tired to do some testing. Thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to use a pre-fab as their base, they would be warned and also to get a possible bug out there, if it is one.

Archived