A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Hello JL. If you retain the player profiles you will not start off with the class items. That is because you only get these items when you first join the sever/map. If you carry over the player profiles it will not treat them as a "new" player and thus they will not receive the items.

You can, as admin, give the class stuff to the four players.

Open the console with the ~ key.

Enter cm

That should toggle creative mode. Now hit the U key to bring up the creative list.

Search for "Class". This should bring up all the class-specific items.

The two items you're looking for are:

Class Key

Class Selection

Technically they only need the class selection because you can break the class briefcase open but the key makes it easier.

Thanks

Hello JL. If you retain the player profiles you will not start off with the class items. That is because you only get these items when you first join the sever/map. If you carry over the player profiles it will not treat them as a "new" player and thus they will not receive the items.

You can, as admin, give the class stuff to the four players.

Open the console with the ~ key.

Enter cm

That should toggle creative mode. Now hit the U key to bring up the creative list.

Search for "Class". This should bring up all the class-specific items.

The two items you're looking for are:

Class Key

Class Selection

Technically they only need the class selection because you can break the class briefcase open but the key makes it easier.

for the help it worked. I got one more question, what do i need to be able to pickup goldenrod, cotton, aloe & Yucca plant (I know is fruit)? We cannot pick up any of it, what do we need to learn.

thanks - Great mod.

JL

You don't need to learn anything. You punch it with your bare hands to harvest it.

Question to Valmod users for A14:

I'm debating on whether or not I should bring back individual animal meat. Such as chicken, pork, venison and bear meat.

The problem with this is that it would add a ton of new recipes to the campfire since you'll essentially have four different food items for each individual meat, at least. Would make navigating the campfire for cooking recipes more tedious.

Another option I was thinking of is to add new food items that require multiple meats in the same way the Chunky Meat Stew does. Like make a Grilled Steak that uses three meat but gives more food. I would adjust it so only "small" foods use only 1 rawmeat, with the "bigger" foods requiring more meat. Thoughts?

The idea of bringing back the old individual animal meats is nice, and would add more diversity to cooking.

On the other hand, as long as the player inventories are limited like they are now, there could be issues with inventory space. 4 inventory slots would be clogged with individual meats, instead of one with the current "meat".

Especially when one is playing on a server, it would depend on the servers configuration regarding animal count, respawn rate etc, if hunting and looting could be reasonably combined, if a player can allow himself the luxury to leave animals aside when on loot tour, or if he will be forced to take every piece of meat he can get and sacrifice some loot in exchange.

But I like the idea at all :)

I'm debating on whether or not I should bring back individual animal meat. Such as chicken, pork, venison and bear meat.

The problem with this is that it would add a ton of new recipes to the campfire since you'll essentially have four different food items for each individual meat, at least. Would make navigating the campfire for cooking recipes more tedious.

Love this idea (it's one I was going to work on myself when a14 arrives). Yes, it would clog up the campfire menu a bit, but only if you have all four meats on you when you go to cook. I don't think it'd be a huge issue.

@Puschpa;

Inventory management IMO should be a challenge, and having to decide between taking the rabbit meat or the shotgun part forces meaningful choice. I'm very much in favour of this.

Love this idea (it's one I was going to work on myself when a14 arrives). Yes, it would clog up the campfire menu a bit, but only if you have all four meats on you when you go to cook. I don't think it'd be a huge issue.

@Puschpa;

Inventory management IMO should be a challenge, and having to decide between taking the rabbit meat or the shotgun part forces meaningful choice. I'm very much in favour of this.

I agree that inventory management should be a challenge, but I also believe that it shouldn't be a constant challenge. Hopefully they will find a way to increase backpack/tool belt space. I would love to see something tied in with the Athletic perk. Maybe the stack size could increase every 10 skill levels in Athlete? Maybe we will get the ability to craft or find larger backpacks. I think that would be a neat rare drop type item.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Also, Walking Dad, even if you don't have all the meats on you the campfire would still list all the recipes. Does it organize the list to display currently craftable recipes on top?

Personally, while I like both ideas, I'm still sorta leaning to make different foods with different stack amounts. For example something that is the equivalent to bear stew could still be in the game but just require more meat to make. So killing a bear might get you enough meat for three big chunky stews or you could keep killing off rabbits, chicken until you have enough meat to do something with it.

Also thank you for bringing up the server issue with animal spawn, Pusc. I hadn't even considered that. On some servers with a lot of players it can be a challenge to find animals due to their relatively low spawncount. Having individual meats could make it harder then for them to get x meat for x recipe. Whereas if I stick to the rawMeat system we have now no matter what animal they find they will be able to save that meat up to make the bigger meals later.

Speaking of meals, Loki gave me an interesting idea with that too. Dinner plates, various cooked meats+veggies = Meals. These will give more wellness gain and more food. I'm also planning on adding new plants and recipes in general. So its not like the cooking recipes aren't getting any love as it stands, even if I don't bring back individual meats.

All that being said I still welcome and encourage any further discussion on this matter as I'm still on the fence. I'm leaning towards the one-meat system but I see benefits to both.

Hi, many thanks for your mod.

I've never used mods on 7dtd before.

I've backed up 4 region files that have A13 bases on we have worked a long time on, if I wipe and restore these 4 files, will these work fine with your mod please?

And can I use our existing players.xml file (I understand about the class system not working unless done manually)

I presume it works fine on MP servers?

Many thanks

Yes, you can port over the region files and preserve them that way. Done it many times myself. You might get some weird issues with the world though, unless your new game has the same seed (name) as the previous one. For example in one of mine that I ported over the region was elevated much higher than the land around it, so its like its own island. Not necessarily a game breaker, mind you, but it can be pretty crazy sometimes. Just something to be aware of.

You can use your existing players file (which I dont believe is a xml file) to preserve player information. Though like you said you'd need to manually give them class items.

Works fine on MP servers - there are even several servers currently that run my mod I'm proud to say. The only downside to servers is that the icons do not push to clients so they will need the Mods folder installed (drag-drop process) to see the icons. Other than that it works fine.

Here is a link I made just for the icons to share on servers to make it easier:

tiny.cc/valmodicons

I agree that inventory management should be a challenge, but I also believe that it shouldn't be a constant challenge. Hopefully they will find a way to increase backpack/tool belt space. I would love to see something tied in with the Athletic perk. Maybe the stack size could increase every 10 skill levels in Athlete? Maybe we will get the ability to craft or find larger backpacks. I think that would be a neat rare drop type item.

Great idea, and hopefully one we'll see in the future. I'd even be in favour of reducing the initial backpack size and have skilled progression towards the current sized pack. You could go one step further and have a packing skill affect how much you can store in any container. The greater your skill, the better you are at packing, equals more container space.

Appreciate the feedback guys.

Also, Walking Dad, even if you don't have all the meats on you the campfire would still list all the recipes. Does it organize the list to display currently craftable recipes on top?

You're welcome, you've made a great effort here and we appreciate your game.

I think I'm correct in saying yes, the campfire puts recipes you can currently craft at the top of the menu. E.g. if you have goldenrod and bottled water (but no chrysanthemum) it shows you goldenrod tea before red tea. The same happens with the normal crafting menu.

All that being said I still welcome and encourage any further discussion on this matter as I'm still on the fence. I'm leaning towards the one-meat system but I see benefits to both.

Having read your idea to add degrees of meal, I like that. Both ways would have their merits, and I guess you'll want to make your mod to fit the greatest range of players possible. Being entirely objective I think your way would work better for more people (and multiplayer), while individual meats would work better for single player.

Hi, many thanks for your mod.

I've never used mods on 7dtd before.

I've backed up 4 region files that have A13 bases on we have worked a long time on, if I wipe and restore these 4 files, will these work fine with your mod please?

And can I use our existing players.xml file (I understand about the class system not working unless done manually)

I presume it works fine on MP servers?

Many thanks

Nice choice for a server mod Hobgoblin :)

Valmod is a lot of fun.

I would definitely recommend trying it from scratch once A14 drops and Valmar updates it.

The class system should tie in really well with how you guys seem to play already, you sir would be a Miner ;)

Have fun!

By the way congratulations Valmar :) Games4Kicks has just started a Valmod play through on his channel.

Just started watching it so have not seen any of his opinions on it as yet but I look forward to watching this series :)

it is great to see it in action, great mod, congrats Valmar:applause:

Many many thanks

Unfortunately I was outvoted, this one and another (true Survival) were the two we liked, we are trying the other one out now, but I've suggested we also try this one in a few days to see which one we prefer and want to use for A14.

Many many thanks

Unfortunately I was outvoted, this one and another (true Survival) were the two we liked, we are trying the other one out now, but I've suggested we also try this one in a few days to see which one we prefer and want to use for A14.

True Survival is what I am using in my solo game at the moment :) it was heavily influenced by Valmod anyway ;)

Its actually damn hard solo with a very slow progression in terms of most things eg. Day 14 now and I have what has to be most most basic and unsecured base in a long time.

Towns are flagged as cities so looting is very hard and with essentially running zombies of many types during the day it is tough to get started.

Only just got the forge book on day 14 and that was pure luck, have not managed to loot a single bookstore yet.

My bow is my best weapon lol

The basic spikes are very different, more like flypaper, stopping zombies but doing almost no damage and log spikes are locked behind a recipe lol

Good luck :)

To update what I was just saying I think all the recipes are in rareBooks, herbalRecipes and commonBooks.

To test out you could just comment out all these recipes.

Add

<!--

in a line AFTER the book. Then add

-->

After the last recipe book.

Obviously you do this a bit differently with herbalRecipes group since it only contains one item.

Here is an example of what the code would look like with common books:

<lootgroup name="commonBooks" count="1">

<item name="book" prob="20"/>

<!--

<item name="forgeAheadBook"/>

<item name="crossbowSchematic"/>

<item name="hammerSchematic"/>

<item name="huntingKnifeBook"/>

<item name="pistolBook"/>

<item name="wrenchSchematic"/>

<item name="sawedoffPumpShotgunSchematic"/>

<item name="pumpShotgunSchematic"/>

<item name="huntingRifleSchematic"/>

<item name="ammunitionNationBook"/>

<item name="shotgunShellSchematic"/>

<item name="9mmBulletSchematic"/>

<item name="leatherTanning"/>

<item name="Dr. Health MD"/>

<item name="Animal Trapping"/>

<item name="Pottery Basics"/>

<item name="Gardening Tools Schematic"/>

<item name="Junk Salvage"/>

<item name="Security Measures"/>

<item name="Archery for Beginners"/>

<item name="Glassworking Techniques" />

-->

</lootgroup>

It may look a little ugly on the forum but in notepad++ that is how the xml code will look. Those colors make it a lot easier to keep track of all the things you've done. I hope that makes sense.

Also you could just remove the items completely from the loot table. That works too.Lol.

I m adding this to a server nd want to get rid of the schematics too -but only if I have to. First question is - will they give the recipe if read and circumvent the lockdown you have in place? If not I can just leave them in as a source of paper. Second, it appears that your commenting is also commenting out your own books as well as the schematics...

True Survival is what I am using in my solo game at the moment :) it was heavily influenced by Valmod anyway ;)

Its actually damn hard solo with a very slow progression in terms of most things eg. Day 14 now and I have what has to be most most basic and unsecured base in a long time.

Towns are flagged as cities so looting is very hard and with essentially running zombies of many types during the day it is tough to get started.

Only just got the forge book on day 14 and that was pure luck, have not managed to loot a single bookstore yet.

My bow is my best weapon lol

The basic spikes are very different, more like flypaper, stopping zombies but doing almost no damage and log spikes are locked behind a recipe lol

Good luck :)

Hehe, I died almost straight away and spawned the other side of the map, and died before I made it back and now cant find my backpack to start my profession.

3 of us managed to meet up, went into one of our bases we restored, got a non stop horde of dogs, one of us counted killing 60 of them and we hadn't made an impact :)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/321251624529144830/F5F37F7FD408DF259B4AD3EB936FC39040413166/

We've decided to put Valmod on tomorrow and see what that's like :)

I m adding this to a server nd want to get rid of the schematics too -but only if I have to. First question is - will they give the recipe if read and circumvent the lockdown you have in place? If not I can just leave them in as a source of paper. Second, it appears that your commenting is also commenting out your own books as well as the schematics...

If I remember correctly the context of that comment was to someone who was requesting how to remove ALL schematics from the game and be forced to use the survivor note system. So yes, my commenting out also comments out the books I added since all the recipe books, my own included, can be made with survivor notes and the poster was requesting a way to remove all schematics.

I may not be understanding your question so sorry if I got it wrong. My lockdown in the full version refers to how I put almost everything behind a recipe book. So you cant just make woodframes as soon as you start the game, you have to actually find and read the handyman carpenter book - either via looting it or by using the survivor note system.

What exactly are you after?

- - - Updated - - -

We've decided to put Valmod on tomorrow and see what that's like :)

I hope you and your friends enjoy it.

Okay maybe I misunderstood what he was asking. I am wondering about the schematics from the vanilla game and if they are 1)needed with your mods and 2)if not does having them in the game matter to th mod (will people still be able to read them and use them to circumvent using your books) or have you already removed those that do not need to be available in the modified game. I think you did answer my question - you make the schematic from the notes - not find them ... so should have they already been removed from the loot table? It appeared that some were still in the loot table

As for the 'meats' issue for A14.... I like the idea of multiple meats. I missed it when it was removed from the game and always thought it made more realistic sense to have to use and cook multiple meats as well as dealing with the organization of carrying them. Since the campfire organizes cookable foods first (if you cant cook it due to lack of ingredient, recipe or utensil it is on the bottom of the list) I dont see it making the menu system more tedious. Inventory should be a challenge.. more so then it is now .. we should have to be making tougher decisions of what we take and what we have to leave behind (whether we leave it fo good or to come back for later). Maybe this will even make us think about whether we kill that rabbit or not since if we do we have to make space for its meat or leave it alive.

Okay maybe I misunderstood what he was asking. I am wondering about the schematics from the vanilla game and if they are 1)needed with your mods and 2)if not does having them in the game matter to th mod (will people still be able to read them and use them to circumvent using your books) or have you already removed those that do not need to be available in the modified game. I think you did answer my question - you make the schematic from the notes - not find them ... so should have they already been removed from the loot table? It appeared that some were still in the loot table

There might be a misunderstanding here, either from myself or from you.

My mod does add schematics, yes, but those are an addition to the ones in vanilla. I do not remove vanilla recipes. Unless you remove the schematic books from loot, as the gentleman from the earlier reference quote was after, you should still be able to find all the recipes in loot the same way you can in vanilla. My survivor note system does not replace the vanilla schematic system. It offers an alternative to the vanilla looting system but you can still find recipe books normally via looting. The code I shared was not a copy from my mod it was something specifically made just for him for what he specifically wanted and is not representative of what my base mod looks like.

All recipes, essentially, are meant to be able to be found in loot or via using the survivor note systems - that is intended. There are only a few exceptions to this rule in the full version. For example armors and some "improvised" weapons require you to learn them with recipe notes. However for the vast majority of recipes you can find them with books. This only effects the full version, however. The lite version keeps all the armor schematics in the loot tables.

When you say can people "circumvent my books" I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. Are you referring to the class system specifically? Because if so, no worries, a "miner" class who doesn't start with any knowledge of how to craft wood, for example, can still find and read the associated book for that. Everyone can still "master everything". The class system is more or less just a leg up on area in the early game.

Does that clear it up any?

On the matter of meat, when it comes to this argument I'm hearing here about multiple meats making you organize them and deal with stacks and inventory concerns... I could get that same general effect by just lowering the stack count of rawMeat in general. I could limit the stack count to 5 or 10.

Thank you Valmar.

I am setting up a server using youor mods for Kage848 to use in his stream and youtube. We are testing it for him and have discovered a couple of things. One person chose a miner class which says he should get the superior forge recipe and he did not get that when he read his starter material and we wondered if that changed or is oversight. Also, although he is a miner he is neither able to scrap metal or make forges steel - I realize that is behind a book but he was wondering if that should be a beginning item for a miner?

The superior forge is part of my mod's in-game "Mod" upgrade system. For example to learn the Steel Fireaxe you must first learn how to make a fireaxe. Learning that recipe unlocks Tool_Mod:_Axe, which you can then learn at the study desk and read to learn how to make steel axes.

Look at the wording of the guide carefully:

Recipes:

Masonry, Oil Refiner

Iron pickaxe, Miners TNT, Explosives, Tool Mod: Superior Forge

He starts off knowing the recipe to learn the superior forge. He doesn't start off with the superior forge recipe directly. Hopefully in A14 these misunderstandings will be diminished now that I can modify the descriptions.

Originally I believe the miner did know how to craft scrap metal but I ended up scrapping (lol) that when I re-balanced the classes for performance issues. So it is intentional.

Archived