What mods you think should be in vanilla?

Let's say hypothetically the fun Pimps start adding mods into the game? From QOL to full on extra additions what would you want them to be? 

For me I wouldn't go too crazy I would add 

GNS, hellish hordes, beautiful bases, Survivors HUD, Scrap tools/weapons, zombie Fiesta, increase zombie spawns 

And before you ask.. Darkness falls I would add but only some parts! I like the extra trader for small quest, the zombie types, how we have more puking zombies and a few extra things. 

How about you! What's your thoughts and what would you want 

for me personally, as few as possible, purely to ensure that playthroughs last a decent amount of time.

for 1.0 b333 ie vanilla, ie for "serious/proper playthroughs" i use only these ~

F:\games\7 Days to Die\7.Days.to.Die.v1.0.(b333).Stable\Mods

7D2D World Lighting Tuned (v1.0)
AGF-A20HUDPlus-EPatch1.0.1
AGF-A21HUDPlus-Addon1.4.0
AGF-A21HUDPlus1.8.0
donovan-longerlootbags
KHA21-HPBars
KHV1-WanderingHordeFrequency (1.0)
VanillaFoodModel (v1.0)
WMMSkipNewsScreen-5520-1-0-333-1-1722026489 (1.0)

...not to make the games easier or quicker, i just those for quality of life ie they complement/add missing QOL things but don't detract from the playthroughs (i'm not suggesting other peoples' suggestions detract obviously).

i do use other mods but it depends on what overhaul mod i'm playing, for example i like the Guppy zombie models, but for separate playthroughs ~

7.Days.to.Die.a21.2.(b37).Hotfix
7.Days.to.Die.a21.2.(b37).Hotfix.with.Joke.Mod
7.Days.to.Die.a21.2.(b37).Hotfix.with.Outback.Roadies.Mod
7.Days.to.Die.a21.2.(b37).Hotfix.with.Preppocalypse.Mod
7.Days.to.Die.a21.2.(b37).Hotfix.with.Random.Wandering.Hordes.Mod
7.Days.to.Die.a21.2.(b37).Hotfix.with.Wild.West.Mod
7.Days.to.Die.v1.0.(b316).EXP.b317.Hotfix.with.Guppy.Zombies

One other example is that before we had lockable inventory slots i used KhaineGB's mod for that, then The Fun Pimps kindly added their lockable slots so i didn't need to use that anymore (to me lockable slots are is an important quality of life mod)

I frequently check out the modding sites but for me personally, like i say, for vanilla, i only like to have things that complement the game, in the game, and for 99.9% of other mods, i can just install them inside a separate overhaul mod, or a separate copy of vanilla (for instance if i'm going out for a night out and have a couple hours beforehand where i just want to mess about in the game, i can fire up one of the other overhauls and just have non-serious crazy zombie slaughtering fun for a while) . just my 2 cents

Edited by GigglingZombie (see edit history)

I'd like Stop Fuel Waste to be part of the base game.  Or just let me split stacks to specific numbers instead of having to click repeatedly to get a specific amount of wood to drop in a forge/campfire.

i do like the stop fuel waste idea, but don't use it to make my brain do basic maths for seeing how much fuel to use 😁 (similar reason i don't use the craft-from-storage mod; i'm already someone who (once the first few days panic of a new playthrough have passed) keeps all items in separate, labelled boxes), but crafting manually makes me go look for things from boxes for myself ; i've used both mods and they're great, it's like in my daytime job, i like to do some (nowadays unnecessary) basic tasks manually, but only as long as they don't take too much time and effort

Edited by GigglingZombie (see edit history)

Stop fuel waste is one of the first mods I add to the game after playing vanilla for a sufficient time in a new update.

If I don't use a hud mod then I have to tweak the food and water bars under the belt to be a lot thicker as with some backgrounds I can't make them out.

Those are two I wouldn't mind being added to the vanilla game.

Also not having the progress bars in Challenge being almost the same colour as the background would be nice.

Well let's see, not counting Harmony, I've got 26 these days, not going to list them all.

Craft from containers is probably number 1. Quickstack in a similar vein (it lets you dump into nearby containers)

OcbInventoryMouseWheel is also up there and while we're at it OcbWayPointIcons.

Jakmeister999's Enhanced HUD (V1.0) and Jakmeister999's Enhanced HUD Health Bar Add-on (V1.0) - Adds things like food/water (I abso@%$#inglutly hate having to go dig for it in the panel) current level. A little bit more info, but it's all very non-intrusive. I also really like seeing a health bar to know how effective my weapon is(n't)

Robeloto_LoudSoundsLowered - I mention this because some sounds are absolutely ear-raping and need to be tuned down.  Among them the sound when you hit a protected block by trader, salvaging, auger, chainsaw. 

I've got several of my own litttle unpublished modlets - Water from lakes/snow.  Vehicles are also too noisy and some little speed tweaks. Some tweaks to spawns of some overly annoying zeds (like vultures and spiders). Max modslots on all weapons/armor - so that means either 1, 3 or 4 on any QL. It is ridiculous that we have to go from 3 or 4 mods down to 1 to go to a new tier weapon if we don't want to wait for QL 6. A huge headshot modifier. Alternate recipes that let you make ammoboxes out of finished ammo + paper.

Reach adjustment - Zeds reach is way too long

ZZTong-ZombieLootBags- Zombie loot bag life is too short.

BFT2020_TurretAmmoLoot - As a heavy turret user, I felt unloved and was spending too much time mining lead. Add turret ammo to quest rewards and other ammo loot groups.

donovan-betterdyes - I don't know why, because most of the time I can't even be bothered with dyes, but I like the idea.

CopVomitRemoval-JT718 - We all hate cop vomit

Now I am not sure if some of these are still needed, I have checked a lot of config but not all. I actually removed quite a few mods between A21 and 1.0 so that is pretty good that I felt they were no longer needed considering 99% of my mods are balance and/or QOL fixes.

5 hours ago, Krougal said:

BFT2020_TurretAmmoLoot - As a heavy turret user, I felt unloved and was spending too much time mining lead. Add turret ammo to quest rewards and other ammo loot groups.

That reminds me I should update that one for Version 1.0.

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

That reminds me I should update that one for Version 1.0.

I haven't checked it thoroughly, but I do know I have gotten some ammo in loot and I think it showed up as a quest reward.

So it is at least working to some degree. This has been one of the easier updates modwise, at least for me.

5 hours ago, ElCabong said:

The only ones I use makes the Mini bike and bicycle faster. The mini bike doesn't feel like a step up from the bicycle and worth the materials used to make it without the mod.

I'd honestly like a mod that improves all vehicles speeds by like 50%, they are all too slow. I'd make it myself but I can't figure out how to make a modlet properly.

As for mods I use I only use a few

15 slot toolbelt, 60 slot inventory, health bars (so I can see zombie hp.. why is this not a vanilla feature yet?), and a hud addon that moves the food/water bars below the health/stam bars. Thats pretty much all I use. I would use a mod to remove the stupid zombie rage mechanic as its a garbage mechanic that just results in cheapshots on the player, often with 0 animation attacks, but I don't think one exists yet.

There are 3 overhauls out for 1.0 currently though, War3zuk, Vanilla reloaded and Preppocalypse all offer a far FAR better expereince than vanilla with actual mid and endgame content etc. I mean really anything is better than vanilla its just the poor state vanilla is in. Its just not any fun without mods due to how bland the vanilla game is.

4 hours ago, Scyris said:

I'd honestly like a mod that improves all vehicles speeds by like 50%, they are all too slow. I'd make it myself but I can't figure out how to make a modlet properly.

As for mods I use I only use a few

15 slot toolbelt, 60 slot inventory, health bars (so I can see zombie hp.. why is this not a vanilla feature yet?), and a hud addon that moves the food/water bars below the health/stam bars. Thats pretty much all I use. I would use a mod to remove the stupid zombie rage mechanic as its a garbage mechanic that just results in cheapshots on the player, often with 0 animation attacks, but I don't think one exists yet.

There are 3 overhauls out for 1.0 currently though, War3zuk, Vanilla reloaded and Preppocalypse all offer a far FAR better expereince than vanilla with actual mid and endgame content etc. I mean really anything is better than vanilla its just the poor state vanilla is in. Its just not any fun without mods due to how bland the vanilla game is.

I've got 1. It wasn't hard. It's actually a combo of making the vehicles a little less noisy, double durability and I think I did double speed, although I commented all the speed out for some reason in A21. I should probably setup a git repo. Oh, I remember now, format changed and I never got around to fixing it. I should do that now. I'll have it available in a little bit.

https://github.com/Krougal/7DTD_Krougal_QuieterDurableVehicles/tree/main

Now with 50% speed increase.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Krougal said:

I've got 1. It wasn't hard. It's actually a combo of making the vehicles a little less noisy, double durability and I think I did double speed, although I commented all the speed out for some reason in A21. I should probably setup a git repo. Oh, I remember now, format changed and I never got around to fixing it. I should do that now. I'll have it available in a little bit.

https://github.com/Krougal/7DTD_Krougal_QuieterDurableVehicles/tree/main

Now with 50% speed increase.

Got a version with just a 50% speed increase and nothing else by any chance?

Here are a few that I like, i don't necessarily think they should be in vanilla.

This is because I selfishly like to contour vanilla to my desires.

medieval book For interaction

sorcery just for release from reality

The old snow covering "It was removed way back"

GnaMod the one where you defend the base
that generates heat. Especially with recent spawn changes.

Guppycur Throwable torches

HDHQ - Textures visual environment

I intend to revisit them and others since I saved them and old alphas on their own 4tb hd

before they were removed from the web.

21 hours ago, Scyris said:

health bars (so I can see zombie hp.. why is this not a vanilla feature yet?),

If they ever do this, hopefully there is a slider to turn it off.  I like the randomness of the Zombie HP and don't want to know when fighting which zombie I should to hit first to go down.

1 hour ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

GnaMod

Ok, i loved gnamod (and not just horde mode) and one thing it did that i haven't seen very other mods do is the "new block placement is a template that you place and then you can upgrade it". the Afterlife mod does this too it can be found on the Steam forums and is a really good overhaul IMHO. 

anyway: this concept of placing a template block to build (that can only be seen when holding an upgrade/building tool like the hammer) makes building and planning much more difficult as you cannot just place down blocks fast to block off areas/zeds and specifically: it kills nerdpoling. It almost even kills "go up the aide of a poi to get to the loot room" as its just so slow to do it you kinda just want to run through the POI instead. it makes building take some time (which punishes you as horde night approaches and you have not planned well) vs today you just either throw down frames (and nerdpole to a roof, etc) and/or upgrade fast and/or craft stronger blocks and throw them down.

of all the mods and games I've played, this is one mechanic (if i have to choose the top one) i really wish vanilla took up and ran with. There are other "slow build" mechanics (like requiring nails to build wood things, mortar for cobble, etc) and i would like them added as well but the template idea really hits the "you better prep, and no nerdpole for you by design!" I like.

edit: also i wish it were applied to all blocks, like hathes/doors. I see the "drop a hatch fast and block zeds effortlessly" while running through a POi and i kinda wish people couldn't do this. At least force them to stop and plan out their "fall back position" for a minute vs "at any moment i run back a bit and find a doorway and put up a blockade in 2 seconds like I'm in Fortnite". 

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

@doughphunghus

I agree with all you posted about GNAmod. The main reason I liked it is because

each sub mod took a different approach. The basic setup is/was the same as when

I first got a lower alpha, TFP had a sort of intro learning area with a mini horde, a semi

pvp configuration, and I think two or three others. The intro area is similar to the initial

goals today but was cordoned off in its own play field.

I could pick which one depending on my gaming goal for that day, and it was already tailored

in vanilla.

The only other mod, the name escapes me, was the one that allowed you to pick a career and gave

associated starting equipment. I think it was True Survival mod.

2 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

edit: also i wish it were applied to all blocks, like hathes/doors. I see the "drop a hatch fast and block zeds effortlessly" while running through a POi and i kinda wish people couldn't do this. At least force them to stop and plan out their "fall back position" for a minute vs "at any moment i run back a bit and find a doorway and put up a blockade in 2 seconds like I'm in Fortnite". 

I'm curious why that would matter.  I don't do this, but I don't see any reason to prevent others from doing it if they want to.  How others play doesn't impact my own game and if play the game someone who does something I don't like, I can always not play with that person.  I don't think the game needs to try and control how players play the game like that.  If someone wants to cheese the game, let them.  It didn't affect me if they do.

I would be quite annoyed not to be able to nerdpole.  Not that I nerdpole to loot (I'll maybe snag the loot out of the vet POI if I happen to be running by it) but I do it so much while building stuff that it would a real bother.

1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

I would be quite annoyed not to be able to nerdpole.  Not that I nerdpole to loot (I'll maybe snag the loot out of the vet POI if I happen to be running by it) but I do it so much while building stuff that it would a real bother.

Yeah, it saves a lot of time when building tall buildings.  I also sometimes use it if I happen to fall off the side of a tall building rather than run all the way back up.  I wouldn't consider either cheesing the game because they are both just time savers and do not change difficulty or resources or anything.  I don't use it for looting the loot room without running the POI (I like running the POI), but if others want to, it doesn't hurt my game and I don't see why I should impose how I play on anyone else.

11 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

makes building and planning much more difficult as you cannot just place down blocks fast to block off areas/zeds and specifically: it kills nerdpoling.

I don't mind nerdpoling, kinda the opposite. The unique point of this survival game is the voxel world; and I think it's being terribly underutilized. There's horde night, so you'll build a base, but the quests and general combat have little to do with it. I'd rather POIs be designed as puzzles to be solved via building than trying to prevent building.

Now, swapping to a "slower" build system wouldn't break that idea; you could of course still build POIs to be solved via building, it'd just need to be more premeditated with a slow build. But as long as the voxel world isn't being actually utilized, I'd rather keep the small bits we do have; nerdpoling, hatches and such.

11 hours ago, theFlu said:

The unique point of this survival game is the voxel world; and I think it's being terribly underutilized.

I totally agree! Any thoughts on how to utilize it better? Personally i have had these:

- the underground is a massive waste of space most of the time. So "bring caves back" (or allow some cave generation option) as well as allow underground water or mini POis in these caves (like a camping area, etc). I liked caves, but without some nice decor/moss/surprises its a lot less fun. 

- the "block stability" being calculated for weight and "horizontal stability" is a really cool mechanic, but its rarely seen in action during a game (usually its just your base falling). I think this is because the default stability attached to blocks is way too high. I made a mod to drop these numbers significantly and (i feel) it  makes the voxel nature pop a little. 1. Because you have to be much more careful building and supporting your base 2. All POis were not designed for the lower numbers, which can lead to "easy collapsing" of parts of a poi when any changes are made to it (or looting a container) usually in ways that "look right" like old wood bridges collapsing, or a roof of a building falling down with you on it. My favorite is breaking a pane of glass causing lots of connected glass to break/fall. But sometimes its weird (loot a container and a metal block above it falls)

- similar to above, but with "underground things" like sand collapsing easier. Make digging underground be more if a challenge requiring some thoughtful supporting structures. The stability calcs are built into the game, lets use them and make underground be more dangerous to go into.

- more of big pois having deeper underground levels, and the "city/road parts" pois are put into having many tunnels that may or may not connect to them.

- i have heard some requests for "to be able to offset or have mini voxels" or whatever they are called so we are less limited in how blocks are placed, but i read on these forums this was a "no", but not sure who it was from.

- ability to use mods to attach random played Sounds to blocks. So we can make clocks creepily tick, stairs creak, metal groan, broken windows whistle, etc. spooky stuff. The game is very quiet when indoors and i feel it could use more ambient sounds, and if sounds were attached to blocks we could destroy and remove them if we wanted. For outside we could put bird sounds in trees, crickets in grass, etc. having the ability to trigger on fay/night and the weather would prob be needed. tFP has attached some "always playing" passive sounds to blocks (running fridges, big signs, a few lights) and it feels/sounds really nice, but its too few and far in between. We have millions? of voxels in a game, lets be allowed to easily liven things up!

Also: for all the nerdpole lovers/haters ;) and my comment to remove it via slow build, i would like to elaborate:

i guess to me its just a bit too much "not reality" and allows an immersion break thats too far for me. But ultimately (as you can just build ladders and this is "reasonable" in a way) its more of the quickness and speed at which one is allowed to nerdpole. If it were slowed down enough so that you couldn't pole up in 2 seconds with a few blocks in your toolbelt and escape zeds/bears/etc without any planning i would be more ok with it. And i also feel when playing multiplayer it would make the world a little "nicer looking" if all the pois that had been nerdpole looted had ladders or some decently crafted effort to get there from the outside vs "yet another stack of 40 straight up frames that looks weird".

I guess its a minor annoyance to me and for a survival game it just feels like a huge hole (to nerdpole fast like today) to take away a lot of the danger of surviving. I do like there is at least ways/mods to turn off nerdpole ability (works in multiplayer as well) and its not baked into the game but "slower building" would probably be a middleground unless you really like to be able to just hit all the lootrooms directly and escape almost any situation by just "up and on a roof". I know everyone has different playstyles (and time to play) but "fast cheap nerdpoling is the default" seems like it should not be the default settings for this game (or any survival game with puzzle buildings or attacking enemies). I guess its also Its kinda like having a "super high jump" and you can just jump over and on top of everything, day one. No need to fight anything (mostly.... the loot rooms are usually/always defended)

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

Personally i have had these:

I don't hate any of that, but they don't really touch what I meant. Well implemented block sounds would be nice :)

Say, quests where building something is part of the "proper path". Starting with an introductory Tier one quest with a broken ladder you need to fix to get to a loot cache, and some kind of an instruction for it; then increasing in difficulty from there. With or without an actual optimal solution, preferably without actual "place a ladder here" -placeholders. Just POI/puzzle design, with placement and removal of blocks in mind. Currently the trend seems away from this, while you're given some POIs with several routes around the place, the "proper paths" seem more and more hardened; and world permanence is being eroded for "surprise" attacks.

Another easyish option would be quests to fortify a position.. an NPC wants you to build him a fort / fortify his house. He's satisfied once an invisible pathing check shows a "strong enough" path to him from the outside, and afterwards you may or may not have to help him defend the position. This obviously requires friendly NPCs in the world, so it's a bit of a pipe dream at least for now. But it seems like a type of quest they would've tested by now (with traders or just random empty POIs), and on that front there seems to be an underutilization going on ... :)