Everybody wanted Traders nerfed

I did not want the traders nerfed. What I do like about the new system is that, for those who want traders nerfed, if you play in one biome only (such as Wasteland), you cannot level up. If, like me, you have all biomes, you can level up. So all playstyles accommodated in that way. I liked my early 1.0 playthrough with better rewards. 

34 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

You know what, you're right! Finding a Q6 item in the infested chest is pretty underwhelming hey?

Depends on the item. For example, if I find a Q6 steel spear but I'm not specialized in spears or I've already crafted a Q6 steel spear, it's pretty underwhelming. You can sell the spear but it's not worth much anymore.

In A21, T6 quests were pretty much the way to get Q6 items and they were worth a lot of money.

"Everybody" is pretty strong.   Most players would agree that the trader rewards pre-1.0 were very generous and eliminated most crafting.

Players who approach the game more RPG/sandboxy found trader rewards OP.  For players who challenge themselves to rush end game gear, trader quests was the preferred (shortest) path.  Obviously, there are many players in the middle that can deviate either way depending on their current play though.   

Finding a balance where most players are happy with the progression rate is difficult.

I lean on the Traders being to OP side and don't mind the nerfs in 1.0.  The questing meta with OP rewards, overriding random looting and survival kind of did not always mesh well with the genre.

I am sure more balancing will be done by TFPs and modders will offer a variety of experiences; including pre-1.0 traders and even more restricted progression.

1 hour ago, FranticDan said:

You know what, you're right! Finding a Q6 item in the infested chest is pretty underwhelming hey?

You mean the things you can build now ....

The quest rewards did need nerfed.  They were way too OP.  And I am an avid quester and still feel that way.  The new rewards are definitely low and maybe even too low at times, but overall, I still feel it is better than what we had before.  Don't get me wrong, I liked getting those Q6 items from trader rewards all the time, but it was just too easy.  Now it plays much better.  Just don't focus on the rewards.  Consider all the stuff you got along the way.  In the end, your loot from the quest is worth more than the rewards ever were (assuming you did loot it).

59 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

"Everybody" is pretty strong.   

Ya know what?  You're right.  I should not have said "everybody."  I should have said "many players."

I do think that finding the perfect balance that satisfies all players is near impossible.  I just found it shocking how pathetic those rewards were after doing a T6 infested quest.  It seems like it has gone from one extreme to the other.  It is what it is...get used to it and move on (talking to myself).

What's the problem? You do know traders never gave quests before right and we had to get random quests from drops like kill all the male zombies or kill chickens with a nail gun. 

The rewards are fine. What exactly do you want as a reward? Quality 5 or 6 gear? More reason to eliminate the need for crafting. 

Crafting atleast has somewhat returned. Infestation quests give insane ammo still, give out way to many trap bundles and have made the need to craft ammo pointless along with the need to craft traps.

This games balance is still terrible and honestly at this point I have no faith in the pimps to actually balance the game our. Guess that falls on the modders.

2 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

The rewards are fine. What exactly do you want as a reward? Quality 5 or 6 gear? More reason to eliminate the need for crafting. 

My whole point was that the rewards are so nerfed compared to previous versions.  It's very different so it is something that needs to be adjusted to.

Traders giving you game-breaking equipment could wreck your progression - game over, end-game equipment before your second hord night. I remember frequently them giving you level 6 something or other, a not-to-be-missed opportunity, and I'd miss out on something that was less flashy but more integral and much harder to find, like a beaker. The missions themselves are the best part, with the chance to find better loot with a tougher challenge.

The current rewards are kind of measly, but the lifetime of the survival aspect is expanded and you do more crafting than you've done before. For what it's worth, I still find the stuff they actually sell a little unbalanced. Very next trader I went to on the opening supply route mission had a level 4 iron crossbow in their inventory at a price I could afford. At the time I could only make a level 1 wood bow. I'm also working my way up the iron tools and suddenly they're offering me steel tools.

Yeah, traders rewards were way off. Now, I feel it should be a bit better, but not much something like more ammo and meds (especially high tiers quests). The only real change early game would be money quest reward for tier 1 fetch: 100 to 180. I think we should be able to buy at least a good can food as a reward.

That being said. For me feels like I'm playing A16 again: as a heavy miner I can get money for my needs and don't even botter with quests as soon as I get magazines I need.

Edited by lord_ahriman (see edit history)

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Depends on the item. For example, if I find a Q6 steel spear but I'm not specialized in spears or I've already crafted a Q6 steel spear, it's pretty underwhelming. You can sell the spear but it's not worth much anymore.

In A21, T6 quests were pretty much the way to get Q6 items and they were worth a lot of money.

Exactly. If you already crafted a Q6 steel spear, Q6 sniper and Q6 armor then what else still could the game give you that you would want desperately? You already have the top stuff.

And if not, a legendary part is more worth than a random Q6 gun or armor because it will be crafted to just the item you want.

9 hours ago, Fenris said:

You mean the things you can build now ....

I'm not a fan of the ability to craft Q6, it kills looting once you're able to. Unlocking Q6 armour on day 24, every time I find armour its like, this is useless to me now. There's no more excitement in looting

6 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I'm not a fan of the ability to craft Q6, it kills looting once you're able to. Unlocking Q6 armour on day 24, every time I find armour its like, this is useless to me now. There's no more excitement in looting

In A21 there were a lot of posts saying that traders, quest rewards and looting are too powerful and are killing crafting. Now the roles are swapped.

In a21, crafting was still the fastest way to get access to T3 weapons, but the specifications for magazine appearance rates were not well known to the general player, and many players first obtained T3 equipment as a reward from traders.

In other words, the magazine system was very confusing for many beginner players (and even some veteran players).

All the players I taught about it said the same thing: "I never thought that taking the Master Chef skill would make it harder to get gun magazines!"

Therefore, since the safety net for obtaining weapons from traders has been weakened in 1.0, I think it will be more difficult for beginners who do not yet understand the specifications of magazines than in a21.

For me, the fun of looting was already gone in a21, so there is not much difference, for better or worse.

Edited by binf_shinana (see edit history)

18 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I never wanted the traders nerfed

Neither did I, I miss being able to get tools and weapons as rewards, mind you they DID need to scale down what tiers appear, as t3 quests should not be giving tier 3 ish steel tools, maybe tier 4 has a chance of a t1-2. Instead of tweaking the values, they basically brute forced it and just removed all equipment from it, as well as lowered the duke rewards.

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

In A21 there were a lot of posts saying that traders, quest rewards and looting are too powerful and are killing crafting. Now the roles are swapped.

I barely used traders in A21, I love playing it like we did in the legacy alpha's, earn your loot and progression the hard way