No cities in the forest biome anymore. What kind of horse hockey is this?

ElCabong

On 6/23/2024 at 9:25 AM, ElCabong said:

To be honest, I really don't care for cities. I care for news boxes, mailboxes, and crack a books.

Oh, and there's a server bug where the zombies don't move.

i have a city in the forest biome. I dont know what you did to not spawn one? I just turned up cities and made the forest biome a bit bigger.

5 hours ago, hoffmanm106 said:

Yeah, spent an hour on world gen, I could not force any city into Pine Forest. Think someone needs to bring back Nitrogen.

Or use Teragon ;)

16 minutes ago, OmegaFerret said:

i have a city in the forest biome. I dont know what you did to not spawn one? I just turned up cities and made the forest biome a bit bigger.

They mean the very large cities.  There are plenty of smaller towns in forest.

Seeing Rekt is in the forest, we will need a mod once we start playing again. Even though we don´t use traders not nearly as much as the YT meta abusing min/max addicts, i still don´t wanna have to deal with him early game. In fact we usually avoid him as much as possible.

I wish there would be a no trader setting when creating the world. But i guess the whole new challenge system doesn´t allow that. While i think you can simply ignore the challenges, the game might be acting up if a challenge involves a trader and there is none.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

If you haven’t figured it out yet this game is one of progression. Character progression, loot progression, difficulty progression, trader progression, quest progression, crafting progression, and now biome progression is coming online. Someday we will have story progression and reputation progression.

Edited by Crater Creator
removed response to now-deleted content (see edit history)

Biome progression has been something they've been adding bits and pieces to for a few updates now, I'm fine with that. Just not sure why that means the forest biome can't have cities. They would still not be as good as the ones in other biomes, that's been proven already.

Honestly, this one is basically a deal breaker for me.  I play this game mainly to build, and as such, I like to pick somewhere aesthetically pleasing to build my base.  Since they've basically nuked lake generation (many lakes setting usually gets you 1 lake) the only places I can find that I like any more are in the forest.  I'm not interested in having to regularly travel a kilometer or more to get to a trader/city.

Even the idea that I'd have to constantly be moving bases (or setting up temporary bases and then spending hours shuttling loot back and forth) sounds horribly tedious to me.

I guess I should finally stop being lazy and learn how to use Teragon.

44 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

Honestly, this one is basically a deal breaker for me.  I play this game mainly to build, and as such, I like to pick somewhere aesthetically pleasing to build my base.  Since they've basically nuked lake generation (many lakes setting usually gets you 1 lake) the only places I can find that I like any more are in the forest.  I'm not interested in having to regularly travel a kilometer or more to get to a trader/city.

Even the idea that I'd have to constantly be moving bases (or setting up temporary bases and then spending hours shuttling loot back and forth) sounds horribly tedious to me.

I guess I should finally stop being lazy and learn how to use Teragon.

You can keep your base in the forest biome. Go to the other biomes every now and then when you feel like it to do a mission. It's going to be whatever level you're at. They're not starting over with level anymore.  If you want you can drop a box somewhere and put the stuff you want to keep in it.

I just did my mission to trader Jen and had some fun there and then I came back and I'm doing another one for everybody's favorite trader. I'll probably only go to the other biomes when I feel like it or there's something I'm looking for that I am more likely to find here. Like a crack a book store.

1 minute ago, ElCabong said:

You can keep your base in the forest biome. Go to the other biomes every now and then when you feel like it to do a mission. It's going to be whatever level you're at. They're not starting over with level anymore.  If you want you can drop a box somewhere and put the stuff you want to keep in it.

I just did my mission to trader Jen and had some fun there and then I came back and I'm doing another one for everybody's favorite trader. I'll probably only go to the other biomes when I feel like it or there's something I'm looking for that I am more likely to find here. Like a crack a book store.

Yeah, the lack of crack a book stores (and other high level POIs) in the forest is part of my issue.  I don't want to have to travel multiple kilometers every day just to do my standard days worth of questing/looting.

13 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

Yeah, the lack of crack a book stores (and other high level POIs) in the forest is part of my issue.  I don't want to have to travel multiple kilometers every day just to do my standard days worth of questing/looting.

Once you loot a city out of books and magazines, it's a long time before you're going to go back again.  I detest going a kilometer or more for a mission too.

20 hours ago, Ranzera said:

If it gets too far out of line, they'll find themselves competing with player made map generators, which imo would be pretty embarrassing for them to have happen *again* at this point. We'll see how close to the sun they feel like flying.

I don't see it as a competition. TFP controls the file formats and a great many features with which a player-made map generator (manual effort and/or automation) must comply if the game is to function. I see TFP's RWG as a pretty substantial baseline. Many people, I'll assert "the majority" (my opinion), will not feel the need to seek out an alternative, but Teragon is quite notable in its features and rewarding in its results for those who choose to explore it.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Roland said:

If you haven’t figured it out yet this game is one of progression. Character progression, loot progression, difficulty progression, trader progression, quest progression, crafting progression, and now biome progression is coming online. Someday we will have story progression and reputation progression.

story progression... Roland, we have been waiting on tidbits of what the story might be for years and you are calling for progression! Gawds what a tease.

3 hours ago, hoffmanm106 said:

Does Teragon work for the new version. I tried it in A20 or so, I do not remember being impressed. Nitrogen was required IMO for a couple alphas.

Yes, it does.  It isn't updated for it yet but there's a pinned topic in Discord that tells what to do to use it for 1.0.  However, keep in mind that the changes to trader biome restrictions *might* be important and the presets aren't set up for that right now.  I don't know what would happen if traders are in other biomes or if you don't have all of the traders as I haven't yet tested that.

On 6/24/2024 at 10:33 PM, Ranzera said:

That's probably also in RWGMixer.xml (that's where their spawning has been configured in the past), I just stopped reading the file after I found what to change for the requester.

Yeah, it is. I changed it back to random traders just by adding all of the biome names to the biomeTags attribute for each trader. Well, not exactly, I only left Rekt for Wasteland and Burnt Forest.

8 minutes ago, mjgreenjr said:

Yeah, it is. I changed it back to random traders just by adding all of the biome names to the biomeTags attribute for each trader. Well, not exactly, I only left Rekt for Wasteland and Burnt Forest.

Have you tested trader progression with those settings yet?  Does it still send you to another trader correctly?

9 minutes ago, mjgreenjr said:

Not yet. I'm starting off with Bob though so I guess we'll see once I've done a few quests. I was just happy not to have to listen to Rekt right away.

If you don't mind, please let me/us know.  I want to use a custom map that doesn't follow these same restrictions but not sure if that will work.  :)

On 6/25/2024 at 5:04 PM, wolfbain5 said:

story progression... Roland, we have been waiting on tidbits of what the story might be for years and you are calling for progression! Gawds what a tease.

I simply meant that there will be a story that will unfold and you will progress through it like any story mode in a video game. I have no insider knowledge about the story. The brothers keep that very very close to the vest. I've been waiting too!

On 6/25/2024 at 11:16 AM, Vaeliorin said:

You could try generating a small 3km map with the forest in the middle which means nothing would be much more than 1.5 km away in any direction which once you have a vehicle would be like 3 minutes or so to travel anywhere. I think I'm going to try that, now that I mention it.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

On 6/24/2024 at 8:01 PM, Roland said:

There are some towns and residential areas good for t1 and t2 quests but no big cities spawn in the green forest. You usually get one in the burnt forest though so that is probably where you want to head to after getting the initial stuff out of the way.

Since you believe it is still early access, I will respond that this is what you signed up for....

I think the game needs to make it easier for you to move your base, since it clearly seems like TFP intends to force the player to move their home base as they progress. But with the inventory being so tiny, and vehicles being so slow it takes a stupid amount of time to do this. My current run is on day 5 on warrior difficulty and it'd take 2-3 2.3km+ trips to move my base to the burnt forest, plus i'll have to rebuild.  This is just not really viable early game with the scarcity of some resources. COuld really use a fast travel system between player bases, or just some way to transfer the stuff to a new base easier.

On 6/25/2024 at 3:16 PM, Vaeliorin said:

I think the intent is for you to have multiple bases and move each time you swap biomes. The problem there is, its just very slow to do this due to poor inventory size and slow vehicles. Like I said in a post above, I'd have to make 2-3 round trips of 2.3km each way (4.6km round trip) to move my base to the burnt forest, unless I wanna leave almost everything behind, which makes even gathering the stuff pointless in that case at least in the forest. Plus I don't really like the look of the other biomes, I like my base in the forest but it just doesn't seem feasable in vanilla with the way they seem to wanna force you to play.

As for the cities thing, I feel its stupid that the forest has no big cities, the forest is the safest place in the game to be, you'd think that would be the prime location for cities to be realisticly compared to say the burnt forest etc.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

On 6/26/2024 at 2:16 AM, Riamus said:

If you don't mind, please let me/us know.  I want to use a custom map that doesn't follow these same restrictions but not sure if that will work.  :)

There is a mod that gets rid of this forced trader stupidity on the nexus, it restores the randomized traders in rwg biomes like its always had, highly reccomend it, as the current way its setup is beyond stupid. A good compromise would be to have rwg set to make sure at least ONE proper trader spawns in the biome, while any other one is randomized. This way they can keep their "progression" they are so picky about, and still not have every map be basically the same map, since all you get in forest atm is rekts, all burnt traders are jen etc, its stupid.

Wanna know a better way to make progression? Do what every other survival game does other than 7dtd, make multiple tiers of items, 1 per biome, and to get that biome's item tier, you have to go to that biome as the materials (the main one like metal for example) is not available in other zones, there, now you'll get natural progression, especially if you add some hazards to these biomes, so you can't just walk in there on a fresh level 1 and survive. Many survival games use this method and it works great and gets the player to naturally explore farther out, it feels far to forced in 1.0. Darkness Falls also does this well, the endgame metal is titanium, and u need plutonium and uranium, all are only mineable in the wasteland, and the wasteland? nastiest spawns in the game, and a radiation death field that will kill you extremly quick (does like 10-15 health a second dmg) if you lack full radiation protection. It also moves lead to the snow biome, oil shale is still in desert. Nitrate is a desert/snow ore, you won't really find it in the forest in DF. See? progression without having to go to such lengths to force it. I assume in 1.0 he may move coal to being in the burnt forest since it'd be a fitting place for it. Which means forest will only have iron ore in it.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

Long, long, long, long time player, first time poster. This change has irked me enough to make me register an account.

RWG is supposed to be random - I'm happy to have some progression guardrails by default, but for the love of god, let us remove them. What's the god damn point in RWG if it's not actually random? You might as well just ship a few default sized maps and remove RWG at that point.

Having said that, in case anyone else wants to fix this mess;

1. Open <steam install or library>\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Config
2. Find the file called rwgmixer.xml

3. Open it using notepad, notepad++, or whatever raw text editor you have,

To add adjust town/city spawning:
Per the post on the first page, you'll want to find this section:

<township name="oldwest">
		<property name="spawn_trader" value="false"/>
		<property name="spawn_gateway" value="false"/>
		<property name="biomes" value="desert"/>
	</township>
	<township name="forest_countrytown">
		<property name="biomes" value="forest"/>
	</township>
	<township name="bforest_countrytown">
		<property name="biomes" value="burntforest"/>
	</township>
	<township name="bforest_town">
		<property name="outskirt_district" value="rural"/>
	</township>
	<township name="countrytown">
		<property name="biomes" value="desert,snow"/>
	</township>
	<township name="town">
		<property name="biomes" value="desert,snow,forest"/>
	</township>
	<township name="city">
		<property name="biomes" value="desert,snow,burntforest"/>
	</township>
	<township name="wasteland_city">
		<property name="biomes" value="wasteland"/>
	</township>
	<township name="citybig">
		<property name="biomes" value="wasteland,burntforest,desert,snow"/>
	</township>
	<township name="roadside">
	</township>

Once there, add your desired biomes to the "value" tag making sure it's comma separated as shown. You can see here, I've added the burnt forest to a few extra townships, because making that place full of only towns is a @%$# move.

Adjust trader spawns:

In the same file, if you scroll down further, you'll see this;

<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_rekt" biomeTags="forest" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_jen" biomeTags="burntforest" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_bob" biomeTags="desert" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_hugh" biomeTags="snow" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_joel" biomeTags="wasteland" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>

Now you have two choices;
1. Adjust the value of "biomeTags" so that it includes the biome or biomes you want (comma separated), or

2. Delete this whole section to return it to how it was in A21.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Which completely overlooks the other possibility that TFP intends to force players to also have some subbases without moving your home base at all.

Sub bases don't really work well in a game like this without some sort of fast travel ability, or much faster vehicles. Either way I hope they revert the rwg changes, because its just not random gen anymore, alot of the randomness has been removed in 1.0, now your stuck with RWG thats basically the same map every time other than biome shapes, its no fun. I don't think the tfp devs play their own game at all, as its very easy to see how tedious alot of the v1.0 stuff has become. By Play their own game I mean play it single player, without cheating anything in, pretty much anyone who plays single player dislikes the current skill system as well because it severely gimps you in single player and forces you to take certain stats or else things take forever. It be fine if weapon and mining tools/wrench were learn by doing and removed from the stat lock, you may say "what about the headshot bonus from the stat?" thats easy, put it in the action skill that goes up by you using said weapon problem solved, and everyone would be happy with this change I feel.

1.0 has been a big letdown for me personally, I been around since alpha 10.2 and this is the only time I have felt a new update was a total letdown. To many unneeded changes were done for the sake for making the game more tedious. Art team does great work though the new stuff looks good and the redesigned stuff, but the gameplay side has gone down the gutter.

3 hours ago, WisdomPanda said:

Long, long, long, long time player, first time poster. This change has irked me enough to make me register an account.

RWG is supposed to be random - I'm happy to have some progression guardrails by default, but for the love of god, let us remove them. What's the god damn point in RWG if it's not actually random? You might as well just ship a few default sized maps and remove RWG at that point.

Having said that, in case anyone else wants to fix this mess;

1. Open <steam install or library>\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Config
2. Find the file called rwgmixer.xml

3. Open it using notepad, notepad++, or whatever raw text editor you have,

To add adjust town/city spawning:
Per the post on the first page, you'll want to find this section:

<township name="oldwest">
		<property name="spawn_gateway" value="false"/>
		<property name="biomes" value="desert"/>
	</township>
	<township name="forest_countrytown">
		<property name="biomes" value="forest"/>
	</township>
	<township name="bforest_countrytown">
	</township>
	<township name="bforest_town">
	</township>
	<township name="countrytown">
		<property name="biomes" value="desert,snow"/>
	</township>
	<township name="town">
		<property name="biomes" value="desert,snow,forest"/>
	</township>
	<township name="city">
		<property name="biomes" value="desert,snow,burntforest"/>
	</township>
	<township name="wasteland_city">
		<property name="biomes" value="wasteland"/>
	</township>
	<township name="citybig">
		<property name="biomes" value="wasteland,burntforest,desert,snow"/>
	</township>
	<township name="roadside">
	</township>

Once there, add your desired biomes to the "value" tag making sure it's comma separated as shown. You can see here, I've added the burnt forest to a few extra townships, because making that place full of only towns is a @%$# move.

Adjust trader spawns:

In the same file, if you scroll down further, you'll see this;

<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_rekt" biomeTags="forest" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_jen" biomeTags="burntforest" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_bob" biomeTags="desert" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_hugh" biomeTags="snow" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>
	<prefab_spawn_adjust partial_name="trader_joel" biomeTags="wasteland" bias="20" min_count="2" max_count="4"/>

Now you have two choices;
1. Adjust the value of "biomeTags" so that it includes the biome or biomes you want (comma separated), or

2. Delete this whole section to return it to how it was in A21.

Thanks for this, as the current rwg settings they use are complete garbage right now, and basically turns every rwg map into the exact same map with just diff biome shapes. It needs to go back to a21 style. Keep the forced progression to the navesgane map, as its perfect for it, but leave rwg be actually random.

On 6/24/2024 at 7:03 PM, MechanicalLens said:

I assume the biome progression will work a bit like Darkness Falls. Enter a harsh biome on day 1, and you'll suffer from severe stamina penalties (or for the wasteland, radiation), severely discouraging you from going there the moment you spawn, unless you enjoy walking everywhere with exponential loss to food or thirst. I'm not sure what TFP's gameplan is, to encourage you to craft specific outfits before going into these biomes, or the insulated liner / cooling mesh mods, or something else entirely. Hopefully it's not too RNG based so you might be locked out of entering the desert for too long because RNG decided that playthrough that it didn't like you.

I hope we don't get those kinda penalties but I think the weather should affect you over time more like when you're in the cold for way too long you your attack speed starts slowing down and you take more health or in the desert you start slowing down and you lose Health water