Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

10 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Currently, the game is like the first 2 or 3 missions in a tower defense game.  I'd like to be able to play the last 1 or 2 instead.

It is a bad thing. If this game calls itself partly tower defense it needs to be accessible, not a mode 1% of players know about after having played the game for years.

The base game is too easy many veteran players, sure, but on ALL fronts. You as a veteran have to play with the options and mod the game if you want a challenge. I am sure TFP will not kill the tower defense part and make the rest of the game unplayable for the vast majority of the players to give a few veterans the pleasure of playing an unmodded game.

59 minutes ago, AaronG85 said:

Can we just have a single zombie with a randomized AI so you dont know if its going to path directly to you or destroy everything in its path to get to you

That is already in the game. A certain percentage of zombies will go into block destroy mode and hit on random blocks in their way. And if there IS no path to you they will definitely try to destroy blocks.

The thing missing is that they are not focused on the direct line between their position and you in destroy mode. No idea if this could be added without too much effort, but I would assume that might help players greatly who want more of an A16 feeling.

9 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Pros
- Immersion.
- Ability to cancel reload without still having an empty gun due to no longer needing to wait for the entire animation to play out first.
- Time to reload will be quicker if gun only needs a few rounds to load

Slower reloading would make zombies more effective. They would have more time to close the distance with you. That could be considered a Pro.

If y'all are going with immersion, the Press R to add a single shell to a pump shotgun would be fine. Press R to add a cartridge to a lever action rifle would be fine. I'd balance the pipe weapons by giving them all a capacity of one cartridge or shell; you reload more often.

It occurs to me maybe Tier 1 guns have a capacity of 1, Tier 2 guns reload one shot at a time, and Tier 3 guns reload entire magazines at once.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

Will there be any changes to the overall stats of the game? 

Things like strength and agility. 

While I like the perks in the game, the ability's are all the same. 

Weather it is strength or agility or intelligence, it is always the same. A better headshot. 

So I was thinking that points invested into these could be awarded to things pertaining to that ability. 

For example:

Agility would make you faster in running and other things.

Intelligence would allow you to get experience in doing stuff like looting and crafting. Maybe even killing zombies. 

4 hours ago, zztong said:

Slower reloading would make zombies more effective. They would have more time to close the distance with you. That could be considered a Pro.

If y'all are going with immersion, the Press R to add a single shell to a pump shotgun would be fine. Press R to add a cartridge to a lever action rifle would be fine. I'd balance the pipe weapons by giving them all a capacity of one cartridge or shell; you reload more often.

It occurs to me maybe Tier 1 guns have a capacity of 1, Tier 2 guns reload one shot at a time, and Tier 3 guns reload entire magazines at once.

I think hitting R to reload a single shell might be annoying as im a terrible shot and spray and pray a lot...unless i knew that i could add mods to the weapon to load more faster so it would be less R hitting.  I feel early game it would feel good and "right" (like using a bow or pipe shotgun = single shot reload on weaker zeds is ok) but later game needing some sort of very fast reload for all ammo (and/or less hitting R to do it) would feel good as you modded/specced into this ability and need it for the tanky zeds.  I guess another way around it would be to have "very powerful ammo/weapons" that allowed single shot kills of high end zeds, specifically from close range but not using explosives?

8 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

I think hitting R to reload a single shell might be annoying as im a terrible shot and spray and pray a lot...unless i knew that i could add mods to the weapon to load more faster so it would be less R hitting.  I feel early game it would feel good and "right" (like using a bow or pipe shotgun = single shot reload on weaker zeds is ok) but later game needing some sort of very fast reload for all ammo (and/or less hitting R to do it) would feel good as you modded/specced into this ability and need it for the tanky zeds.  I guess another way around it would be to have "very powerful ammo/weapons" that allowed single shot kills of high end zeds, specifically from close range but not using explosives?

They did it nicely in Alien Isolation where you hold R to load, so for the revolver (for example), you can fully load all 6 bullets (it shows bullets go in one by one), but you can let go R at any time if you need to shoot, whatever you have in, right away. This way, you're not penalized waiting for a reload animation to finish. 

14 hours ago, seven said:

So those magazines magically refill themselves when we hit reload, but we need to see 1 round at a time on a lever action?

Not to slag on TFP too hard, but the lever-action rifle just baffles me as the midrange choice. It's lever-action but there's no lever-cocking animation and a lever action repeating rifle is typically weaker on average than a dedicated sniper rifle and a bolt-action hunting rifle. Something like an army surplus Garand or M14 would have fit way better in the space occupied by the lever rifle.

I guess someone just likes Winchesters or something.

13 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t work on it and doesn’t mean the gunplay is good. They have the team and they should improve their weakest aspect of the game. 

When the animation team gets freed up from whatever they’re doing they should focus straight to implementing the basics on gunplay. Go to my other post to get the details. 

You're arguing with someone else on this.

All I said is that it's silly to act like 7D has the same resources dedicated to gunplay as any purer shooter. Might as well complain the cars don't drive like they do in Forza (or Mariokart, for that matter).

And the driving does in fact need work, IMO. But so do many things in what's essentially a jack-of-all-trades game.

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

It is a bad thing. If this game calls itself partly tower defense it needs to be accessible, not a mode 1% of players know about after having played the game for years.

The base game is too easy many veteran players, sure, but on ALL fronts. You as a veteran have to play with the options and mod the game if you want a challenge. I am sure TFP will not kill the tower defense part and make the rest of the game unplayable for the vast majority of the players to give a few veterans the pleasure of playing an unmodded game.

The problem with this one is that the game's AI is one of the aspects of the game which is very difficult for modders to overhaul. It's not like we have a Skyrim-sized modder base.

So complaints about the AI being way too linear, I get - and agree with. Horde Night is just a chore nowadays (a fun chore, but still a chore) - the real endgame right now is questing high-tier POIs where you don't get to set the terms of engagement, and of course that gets tiresome quickly enough (in lieu of an actual expansion of the endgame, the new T5 POIs are very welcome).

2 hours ago, FramFramson said:

The problem with this one is that the game's AI is one of the aspects of the game which is very difficult for modders to overhaul. It's not like we have a Skyrim-sized modder base.

So complaints about the AI being way too linear, I get - and agree with. Horde Night is just a chore nowadays (a fun chore, but still a chore) - the real endgame right now is questing high-tier POIs where you don't get to set the terms of engagement, and of course that gets tiresome quickly enough (in lieu of an actual expansion of the endgame, the new T5 POIs are very welcome).

There are some things about the AI that can be changed in XML. There might be ways to make them go into destroy mode more often, there definitely are ways to increase their block damage to be far above what the options allow. That is not a solution if someone just wants A16 AI, but maybe a solution if someone wants more difficult horde nights.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

From a player that has been around since Alpha 8; 

will be interesting to see everything that actually makes it into the actual V1 release

Glad to see the progression this game has made over the years

On 6/17/2024 at 7:54 AM, Laran Mithras said:

Carrying around 11 tons of concrete, eating a meal in 1 second, cutting a tree into lumber in 3 seconds... none of that matters, but BY GAWD there better be hyper realistic aiming and loading animations in this game, OR ELSE.

Some people just cannot let go.

Happy with my zombie survival sandbox game. When's 2.0?

Im good with all of the above.  The thing that completely drops my immersion is that I never have to sleep or drop a deuce.

On 6/17/2024 at 9:10 PM, SnowDog1942 said:

Im still waiting on the patch notes so i can continue my tradition of printing them out and rubbing each page over my naked body.  

My first thought on this made me shudder and think how I could ever forget this dark thought.

Fortunately my second thought allowed to to smile continuously...

Paper-cut!!!

Paper-cut!!! Paper-cut!!! Paper-cut!!!

Much better now!!!

15 minutes ago, stretch611 said:

My first thought on this made me shudder and think how I could ever forget this dark thought.

Fortunately my second thought allowed to to smile continuously...

Paper-cut!!!

Paper-cut!!! Paper-cut!!! Paper-cut!!!

Much better now!!!

What if you got the paper all soggy.

7 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Hmm, The Hype Train looks a bit empty.

Who farted again ? 

IM STILL HERE! UNLESS IM WORKING!!! WHY AM I YELLING!!! 

But tbh rn we kinda know whats going on. 

I'm very excited about the remnant pois. I hope they fill in the world more and later we get others like burnt down stores, houses, like that little town in navezgane that's in the burnt forest.  

Also! THANK YOU FUN PIMPS FOR ADDED THE RADIOACTIVE LOOKING FOG into the wasteland 

The new look of the radioactive zombies is cool, and idea  of Red radioactive zombies I hope they will come sooner rather then later

In case you miss the red radioactive zombies

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxHO5nYMzS3LyykixT1AxcjloD3VX78G-_?si=Vjw7PrKe_czYpXzs

Screenshot_20240615_123246_YouTube.jpg.5c5a784f3465f816aebbb27a15055466.jpg

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

An idea for a quest that I just had. 

Sometimes I don’t want to use my base for horde night and just use an existing poi as a base to hold up in. 

How about a quest objective to go into a  selected poi and survive the wave.

Later down the line you could maybe have npcs in the same place helping you fend off the horde.  Just a thought

42 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

The new look of the radioactive zombies is cool, and idea  of Red radioactive zombies I hope they will come sooner rather then later

It would be better if they added new zombies and didn’t just make them glow red. Isn’t that what they do in Darkness Falls. I’d want them to combined the cops spit with the spider zombie.