Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

2 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

You see that part doesn't bug me.. just you aim it correctly 

This on the otherhand.... 

Ok I promise I'm done! After this 

Screenshot_20240615_123411_YouTube.jpg

Despite what I just said there is still work to be done on gunplay. If they came out and said that they were doing a lot of changes around gunplay I'd soil my britches. I think it's safe to assume that they've been tide up with character animations. I really liked when they improved the reload animations way back when. Fingers crossed that the bandits won't hold them up to much so maybe we can get some improvement on the recoil animations.

So much improvement to be made with guns that probably would significantly impact interest for the game. Doesn't have to be on pair with seasoned first person titles but I think it does need a good revamp/ polish. When ever they do aesthetic or animation passes they hit it out of the park. Think about what the animations could improve too. 🤯

Edited by Zombiepoptard (see edit history)

On 6/14/2024 at 11:22 PM, Space4Ace said:

FATAAL: How's bug crushing going? Still many of the nasty ones?

We saw one this evening with one armor piece floating over Rick.

16 high priority MFs now, so not bad.

The floating armor is from being ragdolled. Unity's rig constraints are doing something dumb that needs to be refreshed. I have that bug.

On 6/15/2024 at 12:23 AM, Arez said:

@faatal

How about zombies crawling out of the ground?! That would be lovely

Maybe someday.

22 hours ago, Riamus said:

I watched some of the dev stream tonight.  It was looking really good.  The new POI looked especially nice.  And the zombies looked good, though they were pretty gray as if lighting on them wasn't working properly.  I love that the third (and presumably fourth) rider in the 4x4 sit in the back.  The only thing that I saw that really looked bad was the animation for the 4x4 wheels.  That was really awful.  Hopefully that is fixed before release.

Wheel rotation looks fine for the driver as the physics are local to the driver. It is the network syncing that needs improvement.

17 hours ago, User said:

What I found a bit confusing with last night's dev stream was the big deal about showing fps. Sure, it definitely wouldnt demonstrate the performance of the people watching, since everyone has different machines, and the stream and such, but at this point, everyone's hyped up for the release, you can't really blame them for asking questions, and it felt like a lot of these streams are the streamer just constantly saying no, or telling the people watching that they shouldnt ask about xyz. The performance at this point is kind of a meme, and not showing it, even if it wouldn't demonstrate much, wouldn't be a big deal. But like, just for fun, you could give the people what they want on occasion 😂 

Lathan has an RTX 3080 and was using 4k res with ultra preset and streaming. Not a combination for a great FPS, but they wanted highest quality, not FPS. Opaque glass is also not going opaque right now, so no occlusion for objects behind it, which loses some FPS.

I use a 3070ti with high preset and find it works best at 1440 with the new FSR Ultra setting. Better FPS and quality than at 4k with FSR High, but people will have to experiment for what works best for them.

14 hours ago, Watermelon said:

@faatal Hello! I have one question. Why in the last stream of the developers were all the animals with old models (chicken, snake, vulture, wolf, bear, zombie bear)? After all, you showed us all ready-made new models with a new fur shader?

New wolf is in game. Bear is waiting for me to recreate the prefab with the new mesh and adjust the colliders and ragdoll bones and test, which has to wait until I am not loaded down with bugs. Allan knows the process now, so he may get to it before me, but also is slammed with work.

I don't know the state of the art for chicken/snake/vulture as I have my priorities on the game running well.

11 hours ago, FramFramson said:

I suspect the delay in using the new animals is that the animations for them aren't complete.

I also forgot the rigging an artist does, which is often a different artist than who made the mesh. Also anims are different if they changed the bones or just want to do new ones, which is often another artist.

19 hours ago, Chaton Noir said:

I was recently impressed by this mod. This is still the earliest version, and a lot of things still need to be improved, but it already looks impressive and much better than in the standard game. I hope someday the developers will devote at least a little more time to weapons (and not only firearms), since now it clearly does not have at least some priority. And this is understandable, but still I would like at least small improvements.

@faatal or @Laz Man, why, as an FPS/FPV game, don't you work on this? It should be mandatory in 2024 to have this kind of aim, JUST for credibility to attract new player.

Were you able to fix the latency with single shot longer distance
firearms or do you notice it. I have not seen any comments regarding this in the past.

What I am speaking of, is if I use a bow to shoot at ai it does not
have a time displacement stutter. When I use a rifle there is a stall
only when it is hitting the ai, not when it misses.

It is most noticeable when there is not a lot of activity on the screen
to keep me preoccupied.

Including both visual and sound there is a pause, then the pop, then action again.
It isn't noticeable with automatic weapons. It kind of reminds me of when I fired a real

powder ball musket, there is a time between the lock hitting the flint and the firing.

It's like an additional calculation for the ray trace when using a rifle.

If not seen its ok, it doesn't break the game for me. I was just curious.

41 minutes ago, Teezer said:

@faatal or @Laz Man, why, as an FPS/FPV game, don't you work on this? It should be mandatory in 2024 to have this kind of aim, JUST for credibility to attract new player.

I think it's just not a priority for developers at all, and they're focused on other things. They probably could have improved the combat system a long time ago, but instead they took up other things that, in their opinion, are more important. I can't blame them for that, but I still wish some attention had been paid to it. At least to fix such basic things as reloading a pump-action shotgun or aiming.

It is clear that a serious improvement in shooting is difficult and long, but they do not even do the correct aiming, let alone the rest.

7 hours ago, faatal said:

Lathan has an RTX 3080 and was using 4k res with ultra preset and streaming. Not a combination for a great FPS, but they wanted highest quality, not FPS. Opaque glass is also not going opaque right now, so no occlusion for objects behind it, which loses some FPS.

I use a 3070ti with high preset and find it works best at 1440 with the new FSR Ultra setting. Better FPS and quality than at 4k with FSR High, but people will have to experiment for what works best for them.

1. Can you share your graphics settings?
2. What CPU do you and Lathan have?
3. Has the game in 1.0 become a better utilisation of CPU and GPU? Right now, they are being used rather reluctantly.
4. Do you use graphics jobs for yourself? I always play with GJ as it doesn't cause any problems for me.
5. Can you guess how much time it would cost to implement Ray Tracing and thus HDRP into the game? I realise this will never happen, but I'd still like to know how difficult it is to do specifically for 7 DTD, what it would take to do it and what opportunities it (HDRP) would give the developers, how it could affect the game.
Also would like to know what you think about the performance of 7 DTD with RT. For example, reflections. Right now they work very wrong, as it's impossible to make a dynamic cube map for each block (hardly any computer can survive that). What about RT reflections? It seems to me that they could solve this issue with adequate performance loss.
I'm just curious about the difficulties of lighting performance in fully dynamic worlds, since you can't use baked lighting in 7 DTD, and dynamic methods have a lot of limitations and problems compared to RT. Also, for such a small team it would probably be very difficult to create quality dynamic lighting without RT.

Edited by Chaton Noir (see edit history)

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

While we're talking about guns, I sure hope we get adaptive reload animations for the pump shotgun and level action rifle

Do you seriously want to see this in 7D2D?

Spoiler

How many times will you be killed while you are watching the animation of the shotgun reloading. 
Zombies in serious locations or in the night horde will not wait for you to recharge.
Shooting a couple of rounds that you have already loaded will not save you either.
I really hope that the charging animation is not touched, otherwise the pump-action shotgun will become an even more useless weapon.

26 minutes ago, Chaton Noir said:

I think it's just not a priority for developers at all, and they're focused on other things. They probably could have improved the combat system a long time ago, but instead they took up other things that, in their opinion, are more important. I can't blame them for that, but I still wish some attention had been paid to it. At least to fix such basic things as reloading a pump-action shotgun or aiming.

It is clear that a serious improvement in shooting is difficult and long, but they do not even do the correct aiming, let alone the rest.

Man, I can understand that it isn't a priority yet, but it has been 10 years of development. Every time they try to catch up, they are still years behind. And I'm sorry, but I can't accept the "It's a small indie game with limited resources" excuse. TFP made millions; they don't assume they were disorganized for multiple years, changing path and priorities that could be avoided with a better investment in their team.

I'm not even talking about animations (especially reloads: the lever-action rifle where 3 bullets are reloaded even if you shot either 1 or 5 bullets), horrible UI or models (of items and such). Even though it's an amazing game and has improved a lot, version 1.0 is certainly not worth €45/$45 for now. Also, I really doubt we'll have a fully polished game in just a year and a half...

In this state, I just want them to release a good and easy accessible modeling tool on Steam.

32 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

https://www.blender.org/
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html
https://unity.com
The word "easy" does not exist in development. 
Show us how it's done. We are waiting for high-quality mods from you.

Rofl you from the TFP Police?

Never said it's easy to mod, I asked to be easily accessible. Grown enough to bark but not enough to understand words 🤡

2 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

Do you seriously want to see this in 7D2D?

Reveal hidden contents

How many times will you be killed while you are watching the animation of the shotgun reloading. 
Zombies in serious locations or in the night horde will not wait for you to recharge.
Shooting a couple of rounds that you have already loaded will not save you either.
I really hope that the charging animation is not touched, otherwise the pump-action shotgun will become an even more useless weapon.

Most definitely!
it's so irritating to me that no matter how many rounds you fire with the pump shotgun, the reload is 2 shells.
There's a mod thankfully that addresses this.

I've been playing doom 3 on the side, and the pump shotgun feels amazing!
If you die because you're terrible with time management for reloading, then that's on you.

7 Days to Die is the only game (that I know of) that DOESN'T have adaptive reloading

3 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

https://www.blender.org/
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html
https://unity.com
The word "easy" does not exist in development. 
Show us how it's done. We are waiting for high-quality mods from you.

Man if I had the time and the PC I would love to make models. 

Mostly kit bash, I'm not good at it! But it doesn't matter!!! 

I mostly uses photopea. I would recommend it too anyone if you just wanna mess around 

6 hours ago, Teezer said:

faatal has already answered that question and Laz Man is a POI designer, so wouldn't have anything to do with working on that, though perhaps you just used "you" to refer to TFP and not them specifically.  In any case, this is something that a relatively small set of players actually care about.  Most players don't even notice.  That makes it low priority and there are other things to update and improve that would be noticed by more players and those will get higher priority.

3 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Most definitely!
it's so irritating to me that no matter how many rounds you fire with the pump shotgun, the reload is 2 shells.

I've been playing doom 3 on the side, and the pump shotgun feels amazing!
If you die because you're terrible with time management for reloading, then that's on you.

7 Days to Die is the only game (that I know of) that DOESN'T have adaptive reloading

I don't think it would be fair to add this realism for pump shotguns without also adding reloadable mags for automatics. You would then have to collect magazines, reload each one with rounds, and store the mags for use. Then reload them again when you are out like in a game like Project Zomboid. Honestly, I would use a mod that did this for a challenge but it's probably too complicated for basic 7 days.

I think the idea is different guns have a set reload time that can be improved with perks and the animation is just flavor.

This is something very important that not a lot of players are remembering either.

The crew at Fun Pimps is around 30 or less people working on a game that has become beloved by as many as players as a big name game from a bigger game maker.

They don't have the man power like Bethesda or other triple a game manufacturer's however they are putting in hella quality into a game we all love to play and trying to get console caught up to PC even.

I'm a low level developer compared to the things these guys are doing and working through these issues and bugs takes as much time or more than the initial writing of the code.

Are somethings not up to snuff but is it still fun to play and are they still trying to make it better? 

Heck yes they are!

So give them a little slack if things aren't lining up right or if things aren't working exactly how you think it needs to compared to this other game. Cause does the game your comparing it have all the exact same world configurations as 7 days?? If not stop comparing them on the critical nature that you all are and give them a little praise for it instead!

Mind you this is just my outlook from a console player and coder/ programmer.

Edited by OasisWolf (see edit history)

3 hours ago, FranticDan said:

This is not a problem, so it does not require a fix in the vanilla game. 

4 hours ago, Teezer said:

Rofl you from the TFP Police?

Never said it's easy to mod, I asked to be easily accessible. Grown enough to bark but not enough to understand words 🤡

Developers don't have to make life easier for you if you're too lazy to do anything.
And counting other people's money is bad form.

4 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

And even with the man power... look at what a mess they did!

Maybe next time they should hire a staff of all women and see if girl power is better. :hippie: :heh:

How good of a game could you put together with their team size?

Could you get this many players to enjoy it and still be playing it still "as messy" as this game supposedly is?

I bet not but your criticisms are mighty high from your stand point aren't they?

36 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

I think the idea is different guns have a set reload time that can be improved with perks and the animation is just flavor.

lol...I remember the very first time I shot a couple rounds off using the pipe pistol and then reloaded and was dismayed to see all my unfired rounds being emptied out of their chambers and just thrown away. I quickly did the math and realized I didn't actually lose anything but it really worried me for a moment. It still pains me to see it even though I know it is just a flavorful animation and it shows the impact of visual representation....er....misrepresentation...

4 minutes ago, OasisWolf said:

How good of a game could you put together with their team size?

Could you get this many players to enjoy it and still be playing it still "as messy" as this game supposedly is?

I bet not but your criticisms are mighty high from your stand point aren't they?

I think "they" referred to Bethesda. He was saying that even though Bethesda had a massive team size they still didn't get Starfield right. At least that's the interpretation I'm going with. ;)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)