Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

9 hours ago, Ihuli said:

Why is it made so hard to report a bug? I shall upload output log etc? im a simple gamer, I dont konw what these things are. 

Requireing such a thing is okay if game is in Alpha. Playing a alpha game is somewhat like playtesting, thus bugs are to be expected and documented in a proper way, so the developer can work with it. 

Im not sensible when it comes to bugs. I have been playing this game since late alpha 13 and never felt the urge to report a bug. In a released game im expecting a way to report a bug in a easy way. Like just a small post or something, maybe with some screenshots. 

Im having verry bad experience with the drawbridge. Which cost me a day 26 game (i allways play with delet on death). When i activate it, often it does not open (going down). I get the animation, but at the end of the animation the bridge springs back to closed. sometimes the bridge is actualy open and you can walk through the air, sometimes not. I alswell had it once, that the bride showed to be open, but was not. This way the drawbridge isend usefull. I allways used it tho get over traps i build on my base. But lately i only die in my own traps becouse of this bug. This happens in difrent games with multiple drawbridges.

I dont know how to report this bug propper, as i dont want to use my time to learn how to do it, when it should be a finished game. 

It literally takes about 5 minutes to report a bug and they have a nice how to instructions on what you need to do.  And the method they have chosen is to ensure the right information gets to the QA / Development team so they can recreate the issue and then try to solve it.

And this is not a finished game if you clearly understand the roadmap which shows 3 more updates coming this year and next year.....

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

On 8/3/2024 at 8:13 AM, Xtrakicking said:

I mean, it shouldn't be the case at all. It's always been that Screamers only call a horde if they spot you, not if they just sense you nearby. It would be pretty unfair otherwise, if you ask me.

I take it I'm the only one?

No you're not the only one. I get bombarded while mining. Of course I'm at the auger stage now so I can't hear crap until the screamer & her crew are on top of me. 

She obviously screamed without seeing me 1st. 

That's not such a huge deal I guess but I do agree with others that while questing, the screamers can be a pain. Constant interruptions if using just a little bit of gun fire. Of course, doing tier 5 & 6's, gunfire is almost a necessity at the "oh sh*t moments". These screamers also magically see & scream while not even seeing me in the poi's. 

They definitely need tweaked in my opinion. 

31 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

No you're not the only one. I get bombarded while mining. Of course I'm at the auger stage now so I can't hear crap until the screamer & her crew are on top of me. 

She obviously screamed without seeing me 1st. 

That's not such a huge deal I guess but I do agree with others that while questing, the screamers can be a pain. Constant interruptions if using just a little bit of gun fire. Of course, doing tier 5 & 6's, gunfire is almost a necessity at the "oh sh*t moments". These screamers also magically see & scream while not even seeing me in the poi's. 

They definitely need tweaked in my opinion. 

Yeah, sure. I'm ramming an auger through iron ore, doing DING DING DING! but she doesn't see me, so I'm fine!

She'll never know where I am...  :drum: :laser::peep: :spy:

1. TFPs, are you planning to add statistics? At least the basic things: the time of the game, the number of zombies killed, kilometers traveled, and much more. I don't think it will be very difficult. After all, a lot is already being tracked for Steam achievements. In addition, this data can be stored in the cloud, unlike saves & RWGs. Of course, you won't be able to look at the old statistics (I would really like to), but still it will be a pleasant innovation, especially for new players.

2. Are TFP planning to update Steam points items or add new ones? I'd love to get a nice new profile background or something else new.

Edited by Chaton Noir (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Arma Rex said:

Yeah that's true, at least it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. It does seem like they fixed rain falling inside buildings, but maybe that might not be entirely true.

Yeah, it really has little bearing on things, at least for now. Once the new weather system is implemented, it may actually have consequences.

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Yeah, sure. I'm ramming an auger through iron ore, doing DING DING DING! but she doesn't see me, so I'm fine!

She'll never know where I am...  :drum: :laser::peep: :spy:

Do you not know how Screamers/Scouts are supposed to work, ever since they were introduced back in, like, alpha 9 or something, when they originally were the spider zombies?

Here is a curious question.

Why are the youtube streamers not posting nearly as many gameplays
of 1.0 since the last update?

Normally I like to watch a few right after a major upgrade to see how
others are receiving and approaching it. But all I can find for 2024
and youtube and game plays, is commentaries and new feature exhibits.

Everything seems to stop at 2 plus month passed.

16 hours ago, Ihuli said:

Im not sensible when it comes to bugs. I have been playing this game since late alpha 13 and never felt the urge to report a bug. In a released game im expecting a way to report a bug in a easy way. Like just a small post or something, maybe with some screenshots. 

Screenshots are not very comprehensive or efficient. The log is the absolute best way to report a bug because it's recording all the information going on in the game at all times and it makes it so much easier to find out what happened. Screenshots mean that they have try to recreate the issue, which might not easily happen. 

It would be cool though if there was a way you could press a "BugReport" button that gives you a field to fill out to explain the problem while attaching and sending your latest log.  

5 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

Do you not know how Screamers/Scouts are supposed to work, ever since they were introduced back in, like, alpha 9 or something, when they originally were the spider zombies?

Who decides how they're "supposed to work"? You? ... Or the devs?

Is it possible they decided screamers should also react to noise?

Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's not, but in my opinion if it is a bug they should leave it like it is, because it makes so much more sense.

What they should fix is sleepers not reacting to their closet door being shredded to pieces at a few inches from them.

In the first 20 days of my current playthrough letterboxes and bookshops are the gold of the early playthrough. Oh and toilets for that chance of a pistol but getting magazines is hardly exciting but rather necessary. After that it's shotgun messiahs and traders for their rifle parts.  

I remember the old alphas when we went specifically to certain Pois for particular loot. Working stiff was a go to for a hoe and early tools and the crackabook for blueprints. The shotgun messiahs were much more rewarding too. Even the police station was an exciting find for its potential early guns.. My friends joined a game expecting to go into a gun store to stock up on guns but I knew better than to get excited by it. Such is the gated progress and levelled loot. 

I still love the current iteration regardless but I wonder if TFP can introduce a bit more excitement to those pois again.  The toilet pistol is an awesome one off find. I'd love to see more special loot cases like this in the standout pois. As it stands we just tend to grind out quest pois and take what we find. There is a great feeling in heading out with a specific type of loot in mind.  So non loot room gunsafes in those pois could yield something better than a pipe weapon etc and working stuff a rae chance at a second tier tool. 

1 hour ago, WarWren said:

In the first 20 days of my current playthrough letterboxes and bookshops are the gold of the early playthrough. Oh and toilets for that chance of a pistol but getting magazines is hardly exciting but rather necessary. After that it's shotgun messiahs and traders for their rifle parts.  

I remember the old alphas when we went specifically to certain Pois for particular loot. Working stiff was a go to for a hoe and early tools and the crackabook for blueprints. The shotgun messiahs were much more rewarding too. Even the police station was an exciting find for its potential early guns.. My friends joined a game expecting to go into a gun store to stock up on guns but I knew better than to get excited by it. Such is the gated progress and levelled loot. 

I still love the current iteration regardless but I wonder if TFP can introduce a bit more excitement to those pois again.  The toilet pistol is an awesome one off find. I'd love to see more special loot cases like this in the standout pois. As it stands we just tend to grind out quest pois and take what we find. There is a great feeling in heading out with a specific type of loot in mind.  So non loot room gunsafes in those pois could yield something better than a pipe weapon etc and working stuff a rae chance at a second tier tool. 

I agree that the feeling of having made a great find is just not there when you find a weapon part. Even though it is probably the best thing you can find in mid-game. But I think you are just seeing the effect that now crafting is progressing much faster than looting. Any weapons you find are normally much too low quality to do anything else than scrap them for weapon parts. My impression is that the magazine bundles are just too much and should be reduced to probably 4 magazines per bundle.

The specialized POIs still exist. They are just a little watered down because all POIs now have at least one of the specialized loot containers you would also find in those POIs. But it is still worth it to go to shotgun messiah because there are surely twice to three times as many specialized loot containers there than in a similar general POI. Don't forget that the display cases and wall-mounted weapon displays are found almost exlusively in a messiah and they do count as well.

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Who decides how they're "supposed to work"? You? ... Or the devs?

Is it possible they decided screamers should also react to noise?

Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's not, but in my opinion if it is a bug they should leave it like it is, because it makes so much more sense.

What they should fix is sleepers not reacting to their closet door being shredded to pieces at a few inches from them.

Bro, I ask you again, do you not know how screamers work? Their mechanic has always been this: They spawn when you make enough heat. If they SEE you, they call a horde. If you kill them without getting spotted, even if they sense you nearby, they don't. This is not me "deciding" how they work, it's literally how they've always worked; they're not supposed to spot you through walls. If it were an intended change, it would be listed in the release notes, but it isn't, and it's why I asked.

And if it weren't a bug, then why have Screamer zombies in the first place? The whole idea is that they scream and call a horde when they see you. If they're just gonna spawn zombies, no matter if they see the player or not, then they are literally pointless. Just spawn a horde and save yourself a zombie model.

25 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

they're not supposed to spot you through walls.

Are you purposefully twisting my words?

Because if you are, we're done. I've better things to do than argue with straw-man arguments.

I never said they should spot you through walls (or underground).

I don't even care to clarify, just go back and re-read what I wrote... if you care at all to have an honest discussion.

Could you change the following to avoid cheesing quests:
- Change fetch only quests from Tier 3 and above to fetch and clear
- Restore blocks after starting a dig quest (people are "pre-digging" to avoid zombies)

I was in my base cooking at night and three screamers came making their high pitched growling and non-aggro noises. I was on the second floor of a POI and I heard them below me banging on walls and making their noises but they never saw me and never screamed until morning when I went down to kill them. Only one screamed at that point. 

I wonder if there are just certain blocks or certain angles between blocks where they are catching a glimpse of a player. My base was just the regular POI blocks with the floor we were on gutted and workstations and storage crates placed but no extra layer of blocks or anything. 

6 hours ago, WarWren said:

I have the same feeling about that. "Easy fix" would be that you could find guns randomly but you couldn't repair them and they would break quite easily. Wasn't this even thing in some earlier alpha?

And some random better loot on some POIS. Like "prepper" stash part attached to some POIS.

13 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

Here is a curious question.

of 1.0 since the last update?

Normally I like to watch a few right after a major upgrade to see how
others are receiving and approaching it. But all I can find for 2024
and youtube and game plays, is commentaries and new feature exhibits.

yehh i know that's crazy cuz, I've also realized that... the only one person that I still watch currently is "Guns, Nerds, and Steel" and i like his playstyle.

On 8/4/2024 at 7:02 AM, Ihuli said:

Why is it made so hard to report a bug? I shall upload output log etc? im a simple gamer, I dont konw what these things are. 

Frankly it would be a welcome feature if you could click a button on the launch window that would automatically submit any necessary logs as well as version details, and perhaps even a list of mods you're using. Then you'd just need to fill out the description of the bug and maybe a few other details.

Click off the "I agree to submit data off of my PC for the purposes of troubleshooting the bug" box.

You could receive a nice "Thank you, your report has been received" message.
TFP could become the gold standard of bug submission!

If you can't even launch the game, I supposed you'd need to read through some troubleshooting Q&A until you could get that far.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

Edited by Morloc (see edit history)

14 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

of 1.0 since the last update? [snip[

Probably because it's summer and that's when people with families go on vacation. I know that at least two of the streamers I watch have made weeks worth of videos and are releasing them at their regular schedule to cover for their family-time. So those videos are stuck in older versions until they get back.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I wonder if there are just certain blocks or certain angles between blocks where they are catching a glimpse of a player. My base was just the regular POI blocks with the floor we were on gutted and workstations and storage crates placed but no extra layer of blocks or anything. 

I know that EerieKnight of the Pseudo Posse has experimented with Cops and determined that there are certain blocks that they can see through to target you. Might be the same with Screamers.

On 8/4/2024 at 11:39 AM, Exxodous said:

It would be great if someone could post like above where they should be installed.  Thanks

Here's two different views...

Path1.png.9de65b8b961ce77f7ce38dd0abcb7b9e.png

Path2.png.bc21c57158816baf7491b88d517a54bf.png

Then the "modlets" that go into that folder are folders themselves. Within each modlet's folder you should find a ModInfo.xml file and then some other stuff that depends on what the modlet does.

If you open a modlet and just see another folder with no ModInfo.xml file, then either the modlet somehow got nested inside another folder (which you need to fix) or you aren't looking at a modlet.

Obviously, the "Bruce Tong" and "zzton" parts of those paths is unique to me and your value there should be different.

AppData is sometimes a hidden folder, so you don't find it in your home directory, then consult the Internet for advice on how to reveal hidden folders.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Thaledwyn said:

- Restore blocks after starting a dig quest (people are "pre-digging" to avoid zombies)

Why does it matter?  It isn't cheesing a quest to do a high tier fetch.  Sure, you don't have to clear the entire POI, but that's the point of Fetch quests.  And although I think it's dumb to avoid zombies by digging a hole ahead of time, it doesn't affect my game just because someone does that.  Let them play the game the way they want to.  Though, I thought it did reset terrain in A20 (not sure about A21) and that part actually does make sense.  Not to prevent someone cheesing the game, but because sometimes buried treasure quests are in about the same location and it's not great to already have a hole there.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

I was in my base cooking at night and three screamers came making their high pitched growling and non-aggro noises. I was on the second floor of a POI and I heard them below me banging on walls and making their noises but they never saw me and never screamed until morning when I went down to kill them. Only one screamed at that point. 

I don't know what might cause it, but in my last pre-stable 1.0 game, I had a large base in the desert with no windows on the ground floor and only a single powered garage door (closed) and the garage was isolated from the main base with a regular door (open).  We repeatedly had screamers show up and if we ignored them while we were on the ground floor and not in the garage, they would scream and we would get zombies breaking down the walls when the walls were still wood.  It forced us to have to go outside when we heard the screamers just to avoid a bunch of holes until we could afford to upgrade the walls from wood so they'd last a little bit.  And that was a rectangle base with all cube blocks on the ground floor.  So something still causes them to scream, at least some times.  I don't know how the code is set up for that.

But didn't A20/A21 have screamers scream after a minute or two if they couldn't see you?  I seem to remember that, but maybe not.  I always killed them pretty quickly, so I might just be remembering wrong.

6 hours ago, Thaledwyn said:

I like this suggestion. I might suggest Tier 4 and above, but Tier 3 and above works for me.

I have received POI design feedback suggesting TFP doesn't use Fetch above Tier 3, however when playing I still get Fetch missions above Tier 3.

In the Prefab Editor we can checkmark, "fetch" and/or "clear" among other mission types. I'd be cool with the idea that if "fetch" is checked and the tier is above 3/4 then it be considered a "Fetch and Clear" mission.

Personally, I always clear with a Fetch mission, but I have seen YouTube and Twitch players bail out when just getting the Fetch satchel. I always wonder... why?

Huh. I can do that? Naaa, I want to kill the Zeds.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Roland said:

I had screamers several times coming to my ground level base.

Just for context, I have a perimeter specifically designed for shooting through and melee, so all my surrounding walls have big holes.

Well, as soon as I hear screamers I start sneaking. While sneaking (low numbers) they wouldn't see me and wouldn't scream as long as I was at least 6/7 blocks away and sneaking, even when they had a clear LoS with me. As soon as I make enough noise though, they start screaming.

I usually sneak-kill them and don't need to hide behind anything. I just have to be quiet.

So, maybe, the way I suppose they work is that they only scream when they have LoS and they can actually notice you, PLUS they can locate you also by sound (noise).

Maybe this is something new, but I've noticed it every time I had screamers coming at my base (b333).

On 8/4/2024 at 8:41 PM, Xtrakicking said:

Spider zombies in older alphas would not scream and call other zombies like the screamer does. But yes, spider zombies would show up when the heatmap was reaching boiling point. 🤯

When the screamers were first introduced, it was the same problem; they were way too sensitive and would scream and call other zombies way too much. It was later adjusted, as I guess will probably happen with 1.0 also.

Over the years, I've seen many bugs from older alphas show up again in a new alpha. Sometimes I wonder if TFP should maybe have a list of older bugs and check for those first. In 1.0, I have seen some other bugs from older alphas showing up again.