Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

After much anticipation, I’m happy to kick off the Version 1.0 Developer Diary (formerly known as Alpha 22). Here you'll find a compilation of confirmed features and content for Version 1.0. Fun Pimp devs may occasionally post updates here on what they're working on, answer questions, and give us sneak peeks into the future of 7 Days to Die.

Like in previous diaries, we want this thread to stay focused on discussing the following features and content, and other things TFP devs want to discuss. We’ll make an effort to only list confirmed features and content, not rumored or merely contemplated features that haven’t seen proof of development/implementation. Please limit discussion in this thread to these topics, so that the diary doesn’t become bloated. Chatter not pertaining to Version 1.0 may be moved or removed.

collage.thumb.jpg.5f2922a7b21664cdeeacf0a06a1add0b.jpg

Version 1.0 Target Release Date: Summer 2024 (source)

Confirmed Version 1.0 Features

• New armor system
    • All new art
    • Replaces old clothing & armor systems
    • Themed armor sets like farmer, lumberjack, commando
    • Armor sets still consist of pieces that can be mixed & matched
    • Acquire and wear the complete set for a bonus
    • First person hands reflect what you’re wearing
  • New player character system
    • All new player character base models to choose from
    • Customize appearance with different parts like face, eyes, hair, facial hair
    • Redone animations to support the new characters & armor
    • New shaders for hair, eyes, and skin
    • Updated player profile editor (source)
  • New zombie variants
    • Individual zombies will spawn with one of several albedo texture variants
    • Tech allows for one zombie model to have different clothing designs, hair colors, skin colors, etc.
    • Performs better than old UMA zombies
  • New animal art
    • Animals use a new fur shader
    • New stag
    • New cougar with new animations
    • New bear
    • New pig and/or boar
    • New coyote
    • New wolf
    • New rabbit
    • New Grace (mutated boar)
  • New vehicle art
    • Vehicle appearance changes depending on the mods installed
    • New bicycle
    • New minibike
    • New motorcycle
    • New 4x4
    • New gyrocopter (source)
  • New points of interest (POIs)
    • Tier 4 army camp
    • Tier 5 school
    • Haven Hotel
    • Tier 2 commercial business strip
    • Tier 5 football stadium (source)
    • Tier 2 apartment building (source)
    • more wilderness POIs unconnected to roads to discover
    • new POI trigger improvements, like AND/OR logic for doors (source 1) (source 2)
  • RWG improvements
    • reduced memory usage
    • improved stamp performance
    • faster road generation (source)
    • improved road smoothing
    • roads carve through mountains
    • improvements to RWG preview camera
    • improved UI layout for RWG creation
    • new biome generation algorithm places less blocky biomes, insures all biomes are present, and may put one biome in the center (source)
    • burnt forest biome is back in RWG
  • New props/world art
    • Pallets of recycled cans and cardboard
    • Campsite tents
    • Road decals
    • Can place blocks on top of road paint (source)
  • New graphics & visual effects
    • Fire barrel
    • New blood effects when bleeding
    • New blood effects when dismembered
    • New gore art/tech for dismembered zombies
    • New contact shadows and ambient occlusion (source)
  • Optimization/Performance
    • A new window tinting system makes window glass opaque until you get close. Occluding the interior improves performance, especially for skyscrapers.
    • Game updated to Unity 2022 LTS with better Vulkan and DX12 support (source)
    • New lighting update manager
    • Ambient occlusion better handles large amounts of props (source)
    • Block entities (props) spawn over multiple frames (source)
    • Gameplay balancing is ongoing.
  • Console Edition
    • Version 1.0 will be released for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S along with Windows/Mac/Linux.
    • It will be the same game on PC and console, with the same features & content.
    • TFP are in talks hoping to offer a discount for players that own the legacy 2016 console release.

Post-1.0 Roadmap

• Storm’s Brewing (Q4 2024)
    • Weather system & biome progression overhaul (source)
    • Wardrobe system
    • Crossplay/random gen for consoles
    • Plus: additional zombie stages, spawn near friend, Twitch drops, outfit DLCs and much more
  • A New Threat (Q2 2025)
    • Bandits
    • UI/main menu overhaul
    • Event system
    • New quest type
  • The Road Ahead (Q4 2025)
    • Trader overhaul
    • Story mode
    • Steam workshop support
    • New quest type

Edited by Crater Creator
updated to reflect version 1.0 roadmap (see edit history)

Gallery

Note: Alpha 22 is not finished (obviously), and some content was labeled as a work in progress at the time it was shown.

New armor & player character systems

Spoiler

FcfEyY7WYAMPG2M?format=jpg&name=medium

F1CDqy6WYAApLmb?format=jpg&name=medium

F32dhxgWcAAMKui?format=jpg&name=medium

FVzh4t6WIAUwNm1?format=jpg&name=large

F6FDCXRXsAAKkUP?format=jpg&name=medium

New zombie variants

Spoiler

F15j2w2WABMnNOk?format=jpg&name=large

F15j2w1WABMiX76?format=jpg&name=medium

F15j2w3WEAErD58?format=jpg&name=900x900

F4tS2VrXEAERq1F?format=jpg&name=large

New animal art

Spoiler

F_98D-CXcAAYchx?format=jpg&name=4096x409GF_pUKdWwAAQ2Q8?format=jpg&name=mediumGFEFvBYWcAAIocm?format=jpg&name=large

GGuw03oXIAAbr32?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GGuw03oXwAAngnk?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GGuw03yXwAAh1eq?format=jpg&name=4096x409

New vehicle art

Spoiler

F4yRoN6W0AA67ev?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F4yRoN5XkAElFIX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GBMPnTAW0AAwL1t?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GBMPnS_XEAACuYs?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F-U4PqOX0AETspR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F-U4Q_zXkAAtQY7?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F-U4SQsWEAAUVzt?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F-U4Tx1W8AAMgUc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F2Ux3aqXYAEJbs5?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F2Ux3aqXcAA9bu4?format=jpg&name=large

New points of interest (POIs)

Spoiler

Tier 4 army camp

F2eyAJ1bQAokIOk?format=jpg&name=large

F2eyAJTXwAELiGZ?format=jpg&name=large

F2eyAJTXoAE49nO?format=jpg&name=large

Tier 5 school

GE3IW7hWQAAfNL5?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GE3IW7hXwAAsgMv?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Haven Hotel

F8M4AreXYAA1ZRq?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F8M4Bx0WsAEimML?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F8M4C5AWEAAM2Y2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F8M4EIiXUAAJFSp?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Tier 2 commercial business strip

F6zrUbbWIAAvAnM?format=jpg&name=large

F6zrUbcW0AAc_1T?format=jpg&name=large

F6zrUbcW8AEHgQi?format=jpg&name=large

F6zrUbcW8AAKvmW?format=jpg&name=large

RWG improvements

(no media)

New props/world art

Spoiler

F7Yw9dgXwAA9uHT?format=jpg&name=medium

F1RhnYSWIAAAAMK?format=jpg&name=medium

GFginBhWMAAwz2n?format=jpg&name=large

GFginBdWAAA3a1a?format=jpg&name=large

New graphics & visual effects

Spoiler

image.jpeg.e296a4baae4f42586783b819f5ac5

image.jpeg.8239786968594aef0f8a601409605

image.jpeg.ade03affc9d861959365cf5dd1715

Optimization/Performance

(no media)

Console

Spoiler

Edited by Crater Creator
added: new crouch animations (see edit history)

A beginning of a new era. Lets do it ! 

Btw, I think we have to thank @Adam the Waster for how he began the topic about A22, and the new dev dairy layout. 

Thanks, buddy, hats off for you. 

Here, a beer !

Also, A21 Dev Diary have around 2 million views.

Let`s show the world how good this game is with the A22 one. 

Btw did @Roland became AI, we`ll need him for brain cell management. 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

On 2/15/2024 at 9:19 PM, Crater Creator said:

Tech allows for one zombie model to have different clothing designs, hair colors, skin colors, etc.

This interests me. Skin color and hair! Maybe we will see Boe at last with a sick set of hair.

AND WERE IS THE NEW CHICKEN 

39 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Btw, I think we have to thank @Adam the Waster for how he began the topic about A22, and the new dev dairy layout. 

Here, a beer !

Thank you it means alot 

45 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Here, a beer !

Absolutely! I want to thank Adam the Waster and SylenThunder for their unofficial dev diaries. Both were useful in pulling together what was already publicly known about A22... especially with Twitter/X being harder to mine for information than I would’ve thought.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:19 PM, Crater Creator said:

Replaces old clothing & armor systems

Are the "original clothing items" going to still be in game as "scrappables"? Just wondering what it woukd be like to loot a drawer or clothing bag and get "special armor" vs "hey its a white t-shirt and only worth cloth"

9 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

This interests me. Skin color and hair! Maybe we will see Boe at last with a sick set of hair.

The hair Boe doesn’t have can now come in a full range of invisible colors. :tongue:

8 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

Is this going yo be implemented in any of the vanilla a22 POis ?

Unclear. Info on that feature is coming from recent posts right here on the forum from @Laz Man. You can check the source links for what he’s said.

13 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

Are the "original clothing items" going to still be in game as "scrappables"? Just wondering what it woukd be like to loot a drawer or clothing bag and get "special armor" vs "hey its a white t-shirt and only worth cloth"

It seems unlikely since everything that can be worn will be integrated into one system. Historically they’ve eliminated nearly all the items whose only use was to be scrapped. If the old clothes were kept, it would beg the question from players “Why can’t I wear this?” From the screenshots, we see that some options appear more like armor and others appear more like clothes.

39 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

AND WERE IS THE NEW CHICKEN 

Me, the cook, screaming from the kitchen, while you all admire the new thread in front of your monitors Whoo want some chicken soup ? 🎈 

42 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Thank you it means alot 

We thank You ! 

57 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

Is this going yo be implemented in any of the vanilla a22 POis ?

Some for sure.  The AND / OR functionality was added to fix some isolated issues but also to give POI designers more tools to work with (e.g. puzzles).  I know several custom POI creators in the community have been asking for this for a while now as well.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Yeah, I'll echo dough's question on clothing. Given that they've added so many new Savage Country POIs, it's gonna be a bit silly if all the normal clothing just goes away. Surely you aren't gonna find that crazy looking nerd armor they showed before just sitting on a store shelf...

I think they had basically confirmed that clothing/armor would all be the same slots with this new system, but I really hope that has changed. Though maybe I am just misremembering since it's been so long.

The armor/clothing changes...

How many total equipment slots will there be relative to what there was before?

Also...

What does "UMA" stand for? I looked it up and I don't think this is it.....

image.png.d8c295acc8b0a2e64889571d2f1c2d53.png

P.S. Do Japanese girls really have pointy animal ears?

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

I have some thoughts; but everything I've seen so far I've liked a lot! Barring maybe a couple of the armor sets and the set bonuses, I've liked every new feature/aspect shown of a22 thus far. I hope a22 comes out sooner rather than later, though it seems we're looking at a mid/late 2024 release. I'd also like to know what the plans are for the proposed set bonuses. Could be wrong, but I think some people didn't like the concept of the bonuses, and I didn't either, but we haven't heard much about how the new armor system works, so it'd be a nice thing to maybe air out the feature in the community to gauge reactions imo once the concept is either done, or ready to share. 👍

But; you can't rush game development, and I've seen nothing but good news thus far. 😀 Espescially with the burnt forest's return and RWG changes. I'm excited to see what the devs cook up. I do think magazines still need some tuning, and the biome difficulty hud element having a toggle would be nice, but those are small potatoes I suppose, and can always be fixed in a21 patches. Favorite aspect for me so far has definitely been the upcoming RWG changes, Laz/Faatal's progress updates are always exciting.

Next on the wishlist for me personally (not necessarily what the game needs, just what I think would be cool) would be less linear poi's, and some kind of small skill rework/book reduction. Since crafting magazines were introduced in a21, it always seemed like a cool idea to merge the old magazines that provide unique passives into the skill system, or somehow change them (like urban combat, magnum enforcer, etc) given how many magazines there are already. Currently, we have the a21 magazines that dictate crafting & some recipies, the books/schematics that give other recipies,  and the books that provide passive benefits. I think it'd be neat if some of those effects could be merged into the skill tree or otherwise tweaked. This might also help with the sheer amount of books/blueprints/magazines. But; these are just some dumb opinions. I'm not a game dev, don't know what I'm talking about, I hope a22 turns out great, and so far it looks like it will 👍

3 hours ago, beerfly said:

Btw did @Roland became AI, we`ll need him for brain cell management. 

Beep Bop Boop I am excited for A22. It should be fun to play for many hours of enjoyment. All of the announced features sound really good and even though it hasn’t been announced yet, it will be great to be able to—- beep bop boop….

2 hours ago, Armor9 said:

Still no bandits for A22, that is a huge bummer. 

True, but the outfits and 3rd person character animations are direct lead ins to bandits. Once human characters animate well from 3rd person view, they will be ready to put bandits in. 

2 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

This is a big question for me too. The clothes gave us a few extra "plain" options for characters which were nevertheless useful in creating variety. Most of the new costumes are very distinct, even if you mix parts.

And what the heck will Savage Country racks be filled with now? Bits of goofball post-apocalyptic armour sets when they didn't use to have armour at all? Seems a little off. On the other hand, piles and piles of cloth fragments would just be boring.

Also what about things like the hat reskin armour mods? Will those stay? I mean, I assume the (for example) cowboy hat would use the updated model, but will that still exist?

Call this a plea for some vanilla clothing to remain! I get that TFP don't want items which only exist to be scrapped, but clothes never were - they were there for cosmetic purposes, and I'm pretty sure that most game companies these days do understand the value of cosmetic options to players since skins are a huge portion of monetization these days (please don't go THAT route though).

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

How long do you think you will be wearing this armour in any A22 game? Do you wear plant fibre armour all game right now?

Who knows? maybe it will be like - 30% more crops during harvesting so you will be forced to change for that armor. So you will put it on just for harvesting

32 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Remove flip flops or add option to show them off pls

Speaking for myself here, I see no issue with this style. You want something to protect the bottom of your foot, and you need some way to keep it attached. Ergo, simple toe thong sandals. They’re one of the oldest forms of footwear, seen in many different cultures. They’re exactly what a primitive survivalist would make if they wanted footwear.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)