Dying sucks

Diragor

Like the Title says, it sucks. Because it heals all of your problems...Please can we get an option to get rid of it. I wouldn't want to play perma death, but I also don't want to have a cheat where I just have to die to get rid of all the problems..

Of course, if all the problems are fixed, dying is an easy way out. But if you don't fix at least some of the problems with dying, you might end up in a death loop, which is no fun either.

If you want a more severe death, you can choose to have everything in your inventory deleted when you die.

There's a mod that causes you to respawn with an infection if you die while infected. It prevents players from abusing the death mechanic as a way to cheese their way around infections. So if you do get infected, antibiotics are the only cure.

Honestly, it should be a vanilla feature.

54 minutes ago, EvilPolygons said:

There's a mod that causes you to respawn with an infection if you die while infected. It prevents players from abusing the death mechanic as a way to cheese their way around infections. So if you do get infected, antibiotics are the only cure.

Is the infection then exactly at that point as before death or do you start again at 0.1% ? If you start again at 0.1%, you can at least get around the more severe debuffs at a later stage of infection.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

Is the infection then exactly at that point as before death or do you start again at 0.1% ? If you start again at 0.1%, you can at least get around the more severe debuffs at a later stage of infection.

It's just an xpath mod. If you die while infected, the mod applies a random moderate infection level upon respawning. it also adds additional infection penalties (fainting, blurred vision, etc), so even at low infection levels you feel highly motivated to find some meds! 🤢🤮

As I understand it, restoring the same exact infection level upon respawn would require a C# mod.

4 hours ago, EvilPolygons said:

As I understand it, restoring the same exact infection level upon respawn would require a C# mod.

Having the same infection would be a bad idea.  If you died from infection, then you'd be in a death loop because you'd revive and die from infection immediately.  The mod you mentioned seems to avoid this by giving only a specific range of infection.

Personally, I don't have any issues with how dying puts you back and normal status.  I don't use it to cure myself, so it isn't a problem.

7 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Infection is laughable 

It doesn't do anything and it's so easy to cure. 

It should at least lower all Stats by one and lower melee damage no matterthe rank.  And infect faster

I may make a post about survival changes to make things harder based on difficulty 

11 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Of course, if all the problems are fixed, dying is an easy way out. But if you don't fix at least some of the problems with dying, you might end up in a death loop, which is no fun either.

If you want a more severe death, you can choose to have everything in your inventory deleted when you die.

Deleting inventory would lead to deinstalling the game after the first death because I am not into starting all over again....it's worth then perma death, because try to get back to your old power in such a high gamestage. No Thanks.

10 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well don´t use the dying cheat then? Also as said, delete inventory on death is an option.

I am not using it.....it happens that I die when being out of food the whole time and getting surprised by many zombies while trying to find food...and then I am full again which feels cheap

15 minutes ago, Diragor said:

Deleting inventory would lead to deinstalling the game after the first death because I am not into starting all over again....it's worth then perma death, because try to get back to your old power in such a high gamestage. No Thanks.

I am not using it.....it happens that I die when being out of food the whole time and getting surprised by many zombies while trying to find food...and then I am full again which feels cheap

Do you really think it would be better to be in an endless loop of dying? Because in the end, that is what you are proposing.

18 minutes ago, Diragor said:

You wouldn't be starting over. You still have your base, your resources and your crafting skills. The Q6 items you might have had are gone, but you could still craft equipment that matches your current skills.

This would also be a reason to always have a backup of your equipment in a chest.

25 minutes ago, Diragor said:

Have you ever heard of farming ? I am at day 35, have only one point in "Living of the land" and have a garden that is sufficient for my food production.

6 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Have you ever heard of farming ? I am at day 35, have only one point in "Living of the land" and have a garden that is sufficient for my food production.

Have you ever heard of early game? I am not that far into the game that I can craft any crops...I only die early game. with stone tools/weapons where I am currently

Just now, Diragor said:

Have you ever heard of early game? I am not that far into the game that I can craft any crops...I only die early game. with stone tools/weapons where I am currently

But in the answer before you wrote something about a high gamestage.

2 minutes ago, Diragor said:

And you want to make early game more punishing? Because let's drive off the noobs, yeah.

Also you get a stat debuff and xp penalty for dying after level 5. While it could be argued that it isn't a big deal, and I almost never die after first few days in SP, in MP it isn't like you can just pause and life happens, sometimes you just have to walk away and you are going to die.

I am not against different death options (and the inventory option is a start but sure, there could be more) but the default is fine.

3 minutes ago, Diragor said:

Yeah, is he just trolling us or what?

1 hour ago, Krougal said:

Do you really think it would be better to be in an endless loop of dying? Because in the end, that is what you are proposing.

I thought they remedied that by making it so that zombies won't attack you anymore on a bloodmoon unless you engage. Was that removed at some point? I have no idea.

37 minutes ago, YourMirror said:

So, when you die, you want to be starved again (still) and have all your debuffs? Just to die again after respawning. Pretty strange view on things. 

No, ust change it....it's way too broken the way it is now. When you die with very low hunger or thirst, fill it up to 25%, not full. DOn't heal broken bones or infection. Reset infection to a maximum of 10% This wouldn't lead to a death loop and would fix the death cheat

I would very much like such an option. It might seem like a weird option to some but then I think people are weird who select the nightmare option so there.

A respawn option for 50% food and water and keeping any debuffs at their current level except for infection which could be started a bit lower to give the player some extra time to find the cure would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Diragor said:

That was an example...when you die in a high game stage and lose every good item you have and in your Base you only got garbage left.

Knowing that everything is gone after a death changes the way you play. You don't always sell everything you don't need right away, but you save the best items just in case.

Temreki from Guns, Nerds and Steel played with "Delete everything on death" in his Underground Bunker series, and he got into the habit of keeping some spare equipment on hand.

I don't play with "Delete everything on death", but I always have spare equipment in my base in case my backpack gets lost due to a bug. I also always have enough resources to make new equipment. It may not be as good as the lost gear, but if it keeps me alive until I find something better, it's good enough for me.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

I would very much like such an option. It might seem like a weird option to some but then I think people are weird who select the nightmare option so there.

A respawn option for 50% food and water and keeping any debuffs at their current level except for infection which could be started a bit lower to give the player some extra time to find the cure would be awesome.

3 hours ago, Diragor said:

No, ust change it....it's way too broken the way it is now. When you die with very low hunger or thirst, fill it up to 25%, not full. DOn't heal broken bones or infection. Reset infection to a maximum of 10% This wouldn't lead to a death loop and would fix the death cheat

That still seems a little harsh, I think half health/food/water and clearing the debuffs would be reasonable.  As options all would be fine of course. They toned down the broken leg a lot, in the old days, broken leg. Guess it's time to eat some broken glass. Now, meh, splint it up and move on. So it just feels punitive for no reason to keep the debuffs.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Knowing that everything is gone after a death changes the way you play. You don't always sell everything you don't need right away, but you save the best items just in case.

Temreki from Guns, Nerds and Steel played with "Delete everything on death" in his Underground Bunker series, and he got into the habit of keeping some spare equipment on hand.

I don't play with "Delete everything on death", but I always have spare equipment in my base in case my backpack gets lost due to a bug. I also always have enough resources to make new equipment. It may not be as good as the lost gear, but if it keeps me alive until I find something better, it's good enough for me.

Honestly I've never thought about playing with that setting. On the one hand it is pretty harsh but on the other, yeah, it does stretch out the post scarcity "why am I still gathering this @%$# I have 500 of these already that I will never use somebody stop me please I have a hoarding problem". It also makes crafting more valuable since having to replace gear makes crafting skills more useful. As it is now, once you've got a set of top tier gear you don't need another.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Riamus said:

Having the same infection would be a bad idea.  If you died from infection, then you'd be in a death loop because you'd revive and die from infection immediately.  The mod you mentioned seems to avoid this by giving only a specific range of infection.

Personally, I don't have any issues with how dying puts you back and normal status.  I don't use it to cure myself, so it isn't a problem.

Yes, that's true. The optimal way to implement it would be to store the infection level, but cap it at something reasonable upon death/respawn. So at absolute worst you might respawn with an early stage 3 infection, which still gives you plenty of time to find meds.

Kinda makes me want to try it myself. I do have some experience with C#... but getting Unity and MSVS set up for modding 7DTD seems like a real hassle. Not sure I have the time for that sort of thing. 😩