Sound effects update when

FerMeister

Sound effects update when  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Sound Effects need an update?

Theres a sound i associate with harvesting plants/grass? (I would have to verify its this sound, but im mostly sure its this), that has this weird small "click" at the end, like the sound was cut off or its just a click at the end. If its that sound, If you harvest a lot of grass fast you can hear it easily. Its kinda annoying.

i really really wish they would add more "ambient sounds" to some things in pois like clocks (eerie ticking) and lights (electrical shorting/hum) and occasional creaking and such when its windy (tree sounds with wind would be nice).

and of course, a lot more zed/animal sounds and variation would be great. I really think "anything you interact with a lot" like opening cabinets, stepping on trash, mining, zeds moaning/screaming, etc needs a lot of variations, not just 1 sound, or even 5. Like 20. 

also: i would love to hear more "far away" sounds, like gunshots/explosions or car crashes, screaming, birds and animals chirping, etc. make it sound like things are happening far away, especially in cities. Not "a lot" just occasionally, and maybe even just at night. It might make it harder to know when zeds are coming or near you and would liven up single player a lot.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Biased poll. There is no option for caring about SFX but thinking they are fine. There's a few that I wish were different like the bicycle horn being used for all the vehicles like canadianbluebeer mentioned but otherwise most of them are pretty high quality. For example I had my surround sound turned up one night while the cops had a speeder pulled over in front of my house. I fired off a few shots with a .44 magnum at some zombies and the cops ducked for cover. I could hear them laughing about how good my sound system was.

I don't think anyone has claimed the game is done and sound is finalized. Rather than voting for whether it needs to be done, how about everyone simply list the sounds that are unacceptable in your ears as some have already done.

Striking metal would be my big desired change.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I don't think anyone has claimed the game is done and sound is finalized. Rather than voting for whether it needs to be done, how about everyone simply list the sounds that are unacceptable in your ears as some have already done.

Striking metal would be my big desired change.

If I had a pick it would be the zombies', they've been making the same sounds for so long, I'd love fresh ones

Some of the "chopping wood" sounds (it might just be one of them) sounds like one of those "door stopper springs" that go "aproong.g.g.g.ggggggg" except its really short and at the end of the hit, just a few g g g's. It's a little weird

and some/one of the "hitting cloth/curtains" sounds to me like a parachute popping or some other "tight cloth popping" sound, or maybe sort of like a racquet ball being hit.

i think hitting the paintings/posters needs a new sound. Its a little weak (for destroying a painting) and i believe its always the cloth sound?

hitting paper "the things you walk on to make noise and wake zeds up" on the floor to clear it out/destroy it sounds a bit weird.

The creaking/warning sound when "big 4 block floor traps" break is nice, but the little 1 block ones could use some "higher pitched" variation, as its less wood breaking and also so you might be able to judge "just how big a hole is going to open up." When you step on it.

Hitting/harvesting animals sounds could be made a but more varied. Its not that gooey/meaty and is a bit repetitive on big animals.

More bird sounds in the green forest... like tie them to a tree block/entity or something  so when tree chopped down it can be silenced. The green forest sounds really "dead" and maybe if it were noisier/full of hidden life sounds then the other biomes (without as many trees) would sound more desolate. The winter biome would have some for example but not the desert or destroyed biome.

Definitely agree that the horn sound is weird for anything other than the bicycle (and perhaps the minibike, though a better horn for that would still be good).  The motorcycle, 4x4, and gyro definitely needed to change.

I'm not a fan of the ratchet sound, though I've finally gotten used to it.  The sounds for using the auger on iron and some other ores get annoying.  They'd probably be fine though if they were just a bit quieter in relation to other sounds.  The junk turrets are also an annoying sound and could use an update.

And I absolutely hate the wind sound in the wastelands.  It is so loud and barely sounds like wind and because it is not constant, it sounds even more strange (not that I think it should be constant).  At least turn that volume down in relation to other sounds.  It is hard to hear anything else when that is going.

I'm also all for more ambient sound, including animal and bird noises.

My wish would be a way to ajust the volume of different "sets" of sounds. It's all or nothing as it is right now. 

By "sets" I mean: Zombie Sounds, Animal sounds, Background Sounds, Vehical Sounds, Tool sounds, ect grouped togeather by type. 

I mainly concentrate on the zeds sounds as an early warning, but haveing the volume at a level I can hear also means all other sounds are higher as well, like the tool/metal sounds, vehical, and my abso not fav, the trader open/close announcement. I have chronic tinnitus that changes in pitch and type of phantom noise I hear which makes distingushing different sounds at same volume lv challenging. As it is now I'm constanly ajusting the sound level depending on the activity/situation. My sound change wish is purely selfish but one I think others could apprieciate. 

The sounds I hate are the ones where you close a workstation and it sounds like a zombie is banging on the door. Also, pickaxe on metal.

But more importantly than the sound files themselves, what I want fixed is sound location. If I'm 8 meters deep in a mine and I hear loud foodsteps tromping overhead, I shouldn't find upon popping out of the mine that they're from Marlene frogging around 30 meters east of me.

16 hours ago, ElDudorino said:

But more importantly than the sound files themselves, what I want fixed is sound location. If I'm 8 meters deep in a mine and I hear loud foodsteps tromping overhead, I shouldn't find upon popping out of the mine that they're from Marlene frogging around 30 meters east of me.

Yeah. There is value in hearing zombies that are near, but not immediately a threat, such as knowing zombies at the base of a POI are trying to get in so you can be irritated for them, but when the volume is the same as if they are standing in the room next to you and they are 5 floors down, it is a pain.  You can't be certain if they are coming closer or if you don't have to worry about them for a while.  Maybe a quiet and dull knocking sound when they are far below you.  I'd even be fine removing the drums if they aren't within 20m horizontal distance and more than 5-10m vertical distance.

• 2 months later...

I agree about such polls, but this poll offers both answers... Yes, they should be updated, and No, they shouldn't be updated.  The OP did put descriptors on those two answers that may not be all that accurate for people, but the question in the poll is simply whether or not they should be updated and there are really only two answers, regardless of why you choose a specific answer.  The descriptors really shouldn't have been there or should have been more generic, but in the end that isn't critical as you are able to answer yes and no. Even with the yes answer, a person's reason for choosing yes may have nothing to do with whether or not they have been updated, but on whether or not they like them, just like your comment on the no response.  So I agree that polls that only offer a biased set of answers, such as multiple yes responses with different reasons and only one no response so it appears that people are voting differently, are bad. But in this case, it really isn't that, but that the descriptors are unnecessary and not accurate for everyone.  It is why, even though I voted yes, that I put a post giving an explanation of what I felt needed updated.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 4:01 PM, pApA^LeGBa said:

There is no option to vote for no updates because i actually lilke most of the sounds, just change the auger. Polls that suggest a certain intention behind an answer suck tbh.

I removed the qualifiers for the yes or no vote. I agree that a simple yes or no for the vote suffices and then reasons can be given in a post if desired.

Some sound effects are really good but then some just do not match the event, case in point the 4x4 with the big V8 sound effect and golf buggy acceleration, the 9mm sounds dreadful like its going to fall apart or its made of tin.  My main problem with the sound is I keep getting sound lag it may be because I have vehicle mod running and it seems to be more prevalent when I drive some where. 

Please for the love of god remove the constant birdsong loop from the forest biome and replace it with something more subtle and less intrusive. If anyone knows which specific sound file this is so I can remove it myself, or how to mod it out, please let me know. It is so incredibly annoying and I'm surprised nobody else mentions it

It would be awesome to get a pool of zombie sounds from the community to add more variety to their vocalizations. Having an additional hundred+ random zombie vocalizations would do two things right away

add more variety and immersion/

provide more of an unknown to what you sre hearing vs. what you might encounter

each zombie type having a pool of potential sounds that make sense for the npc