What are the odds of us being able to pick locked doors/hatches?

inb4 "we have the timed charges tho" I know, and I love them for this express purpose. I suppose I'm trying to live my dreams as a zombie ninja and sneak through everything as I go. 

The timed charges seem like they were fixed to me, they used to kinda not do what they advertised and now two blow open even a fancy hatch. Very pleased with that. 

Might seem stupid, but it's been on my brain. Used to be a locksmith and popped doors for a living, it was a great time. I think the balance would absolutely be locked cars (also the other half of that gig). Not a complaint, I keep my charges stacked, just asking to keep those ninja dreams alive

One problem that comes to mind with this idea.  I think one of the changes they made with POIs in A20 was to make it harder for people to just snatch and grab the main stash like you could in previous versions by sealing it off better with stronger doors, hatches, switches, etc. And being able to pick a locked door or hatch seems both counterintuitive and counterproductive. 

I get what you mean though, and I'm sure there's a way to find a balance. Afterall, if you can pick a wall safe in a bank then you should be able to pick a door and a hatch.

I think it will be possible at some point considering some of the recent changes (switches to open doors, that sort of thing).  I think they are getting to a point that they can make the world far more interactive in general so adding the ability to unlock doors with keys or picking shouldn't be a surprise addition.

I don't know any of this for certain, of course, but I strongly suspect this is the direction they are heading.

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

I think it will be possible at some point considering some of the recent changes (switches to open doors, that sort of thing).  I think they are getting to a point that they can make the world far more interactive in general so adding the ability to unlock doors with keys or picking shouldn't be a surprise addition.

I don't know any of this for certain, of course, but I strongly suspect this is the direction they are heading.

The switches and buttons for doors is one of the coolest additions that I've liked from A20

4 hours ago, warmer said:

They should make stethoscopes in some med loots and that equipped in your bandana slot plus a pick in your hand enables you to crack the safes.

I do wish there was a minigame for the locks and safes, that would be cool. 

One of the closest to reality I've seen depicted is the one from the OG Splinter Cell

16 hours ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

I suppose I'm trying to live my dreams as a zombie ninja and sneak through everything as I go. 

Zombie ninja... in USA.... in XXI... 

Okay Darwin we need to return to monke

2 minutes ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

I do wish there was a minigame for the locks and safes, that would be cool. 

One of the closest to reality I've seen depicted is the one from the OG Splinter Cell

GEEZ lockpicks is not such annoing as hacking but - DL1 have pretty funny lockpicking but if this is overcomplicated ( i don't remember a name of this game but - you have set of lockpicks and time limit - it was so stupid and frustrating)  it becoming hated

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

I'd be curious how the lock-picking would affect multiplayer, as I could see this potentially bypassing the block protection from LCBs at a player's base.

this is a great point. I will say, there should be doors like the giant steel submarine doors that are not pickable. Gun safes/wall safes sure. A giant steel door should require a super advanced electrical bypass

2 hours ago, warmer said:

My fav hacking has been the mini game in Fallout 4 for how it levels in relation to difficulty and skill. It scratches the correct logic puzzle itch I feel hacking skill check should.

Undead Legacy uses a system real close to that system

There are still no plans to make doors lock pickable. They have stated officially in the past that they do not want doors being able to be lock picked. Most likely it will require a mod to extend the lock picking skill to doors and hatches.

If I may add something to the picking topic:

- If doors and hatches will be pickable one day there should be an extra door and hatch model which is pickable. But leave all other "common" doors unpickable as they are now. This way devs and players in PvP can still choose from pickable and unpickable doors and hatches.

- Some car models could be added as pickable as well. Like those big military trucks. Or add trucks loaded with containers etc. Picking them rewards you with good loot.

- Anything in the game that is locked and pickable should be much harder to open without lockpicks. Those common locked chests with 2.5k hitpoints should have like 25k hit points. A gun safe should have 100k hit point. And so on. Opening those safes without lockpicks should be nearly impossible (even with an auger) and/or require so much time that most people won't even try it.

- Especially my last point would make the lockpicking skill much more useful. Have played 1000+ hours now and never spent even one skill point into lockpicking. On level 0 one should be able to pick only the most basic chests and that should require quite some time and some lockpicks. The higher the skill level the more one is able to pick (cars, trucks, safes, doors, hatches...) and the faster that goes. This way that perk actually would be worth the investment.

TL;DR: Maybe not worth the development time as it would not really add much to the game.

16 hours ago, Roland said:

There are still no plans to make doors lock pickable. They have stated officially in the past that they do not want doors being able to be lock picked. Most likely it will require a mod to extend the lock picking skill to doors and hatches.

That's unfortunate, but as long as they make the option of pickable doors being modded in, then all is good.  They could do it by having a difficulty setting for all locks and setting doors to some impossible value so that the values can be changed later by modders.

Archived